Switch version definitely PS4 version

This is rather old, and I am embarrassed I never saw it earlier, but then few have:

So the switch release is actually based on the PS4.  This makes sense for Japan, given the 3DS players are more likely to get a Switch, and they need incentive.

I will shower a bit of hope for those who want 2D:

1. SE has UE4 experience...like 4 years now working with it.
  2. Heroes, Heroes 2, and Builders took substantially less time to port over to the Switch, and all three used UE4.  Granted the teams who worked on these ports were 3rd party, but there are always SE producers and programmers working alongside.  Plus SE itself has ample experience on its own with UE4, and plenty of programmers to draw from experience the porting aspect shouldn't take long in and of itself.
  3. The initial switch announcement indicated they expected an announcement shortly after this interview took place and a reveal.  Instead we're pushed back to early/late 2019.  Meaning roughly the same development time as the original game on both PS4 and 3DS.
  4. They're likely to do VA work for Japan on this version as a selling point, but that won't take long.
  5. There's likely to be extra content, though I doubt such additions would require nearly the time frame this game is seeing.
  6. They already have the PS4 International menu system code to adopt it quickly to the International Switch version, so that would take no time at all to implement; same with VA.
  7. SE has experience with the Switch now.
  8. UE4 is extremely easy to port over and encode for.

So there is a chance given the timeline.  Of course another reason is they're looking to tweak the PS4's graphics so it has a unique style and flavour to give the Switch extra appeal to both audiences, and to perhaps look a little cleaner.

Edited by ignasia
2 hours ago, ignasia said:

This is rather old, and I am embarrassed I never saw it earlier, but then few have:

So the switch release is actually based on the PS4.  This makes sense for Japan, given the 3DS players are more likely to get a Switch, and they need incentive.

I will shower a bit of hope for those who want 2D:

1. SE has UE4 experience...like 4 years now working with it.
  2. Heroes, Heroes 2, and Builders took substantially less time to port over to the Switch, and all three used UE4.  Again, SE has experience with UE4.  Granted the teams who worked on these ports were 3rd party, but there are always SE producers and programmers working alongside.  Plus SE itself has ample experience on its own with UE4, and plenty of programmers to draw from experience.
  3. The initial switch announcement indicated they expected an announcement shortly after this interview took place and a reveal.  Instead we're pushed back to early/late 2019.  Meaning roughly the same development time as the original game on both PS4 and 3DS.
  4. They're likely to do VA work for Japan on this version as a selling point, but that won't take long.
  5. There's likely to be extra content, though I doubt such additions would require nearly the time frame this game is seeing.
  6. They already have the PS4 International menu system code to adopt it quickly to the International Switch version, so that would take no time at all to implement; same with VA.
  7. SE has experience with the Switch now.
  8. UE4 is extremely easy to port over and encode for.

So there is a chance given the timeline.  Of course another reason is they're looking to tweak the PS4's graphics so it has a unique style and flavour to give the Switch extra appeal to both audiences, and to perhaps look a little cleaner.

Put in the 3DS content, and some new blood, like Ursa Mega, Cheeky Devil, Chappy Akure, Emmissions Alchemist and other monsters that were left behind.(From their families) Maybe some new monsters, kinda like how the Switch port of Builders got the Great Sabrecub to ride or die.(Helping the Builder get around Alfegard quicker, but what I mean by the former is monsters that didn't make the cut for XI, like Skeletons, Badboons, Babygoyles, Frylings, Crones, Teeny Sanguinis, Urnexpecteds, just throwing out names/possible ideas.)

What is Square Enix thinking with the Switch version. Horii announced it would be released for the Switch at XI announcement. Now we're coming close to a year since its release in Japan and it's not even close to being finished. Why even bother at this point?

40 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

What is Square Enix thinking with the Switch version. Horii announced it would be released for the Switch at XI announcement. Now we're coming close to a year since its release in Japan and it's not even close to being finished. Why even bother at this point?

They didn’t feel that way with Doom, Skyrim, and every other half baked port. Why stop now?

It’s basically half of the Switch’s library atm.

Edited by eal
5 hours ago, eal said:

They didn’t feel that way with Doom, Skyrim, and every other half baked port. Why stop now?

It’s basically half of the Switch’s library atm.

Those didn't take nearly as long.  Plus, again, the indication for the Switch, was the expected announcement was Christmas season of last year for us, or early this year, with a release about this time in Japan.  That would fit in line with just porting the game and the extended time period added because of extra content versus DQB and DQH1+2 porting periods.

So yes, the question really is, wtf are they doing now?  If this really is to release just a direct port of the PS4, then it's insanity, and a waste of time and resources, but the last news indicated they postponed the Switch release to likely flesh things out more.  The IGN interview a few days ago.  So there's a good chance they've reconsidered their approach and want to assure it sells.  Given extra time, that will be a lot of cost to make up for now.  So I am very curious what they're planning, as we're again, at the point where it should have been released in Japan if it were just a direct port.

13 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Those didn't take nearly as long.  Plus, again, the indication for the Switch, was the expected announcement was Christmas season of last year for us, or early this year, with a release about this time in Japan.  That would fit in line with just porting the game and the extended time period added because of extra content versus DQB and DQH1+2 porting periods.

So yes, the question really is, wtf are they doing now?  If this really is to release just a direct port of the PS4, then it's insanity, and a waste of time and resources, but the last news indicated they postponed the Switch release to likely flesh things out more.  The IGN interview a few days ago.  So there's a good chance they've reconsidered their approach and want to assure it sells.  Given extra time, that will be a lot of cost to make up for now.  So I am very curious what they're planning, as we're again, at the point where it should have been released in Japan if it were just a direct port.

It’s a Switch port. It will sell. The aforementioned Doom supposedly did well, I hear, and Stardew Valley apparently sold gangbusters. There’s a reason Switch is getting so many quick ports. Because they smell money, and the Switch is where the money is.

6 minutes ago, eal said:

It’s a Switch port. It will sell. The aforementioned Doom supposedly did well, I hear, and Stardew Valley apparently sold gangbusters. There’s a reason Switch is getting so many quick ports. Because they smell money, and the Switch is where the money is.

At no point was this a response to my statement...it's almost a non-sequitor response.  Of course a direct port will sell.  The query lays in, again, that the period of time we would expect the port to release has past for Japan.  So this isn't just a direct port if they're talking about not just another year (early 2019), but instead potentially late 2019.  This makes no sense if we're talking about "JUST" a port.  There's no reason it should take this long given SE's experience with both the Switch now, and more importantly, UE4, which makes it even easier to transition over game code, making most of the work downgraded models and textures.  I mean, we'll see when it comes out.

Doom did do well from what I've read.  Given the live feed video I've seen of it, I'm actually looking forward to getting that release over the PS4, and given I have no high-end PC at this point.  Same with Skyrim, as I'd love to play ES on the go, and the little I've played of Skyrim makes it an instant yes.  So yes, sales are bound to be good, and given sell-through rates, marketing, and the number of options Nintendo has to broaden the Switch concept (eventual extra CPU/GPU in the dock for 4K, and/or a Switch "Pro" with a reworked Tegra 2 taking full advantage of the chipset much like with the tweaked Tegra 1).  So even going into the future, given the Switch's ease of compatibility, ease of writing software (and emulators for older systems that might match more closely the original hardware, like the current generation of SNES/Genesis emulators), there's just more room and room to grow for more gamers of more types, and the target audience being adults while still retaining kids because Nintendo is Nintendo definitely means money and more money.  Plus I love the design, I like the feel of the controllers, the size of the screen, and batteries with longer life are likely in the future...so when I do own one I'll definitely be playing this game on it.

32 minutes ago, ignasia said:

At no point was this a response to my statement...it's almost a non-sequitor response.  Of course a direct port will sell.  The query lays in, again, that the period of time we would expect the port to release has past for Japan.  So this isn't just a direct port if they're talking about not just another year (early 2019), but instead potentially late 2019.  This makes no sense if we're talking about "JUST" a port.  There's no reason it should take this long given SE's experience with both the Switch now, and more importantly, UE4, which makes it even easier to transition over game code, making most of the work downgraded models and textures.  I mean, we'll see when it comes out.

Doom did do well from what I've read.  Given the live feed video I've seen of it, I'm actually looking forward to getting that release over the PS4, and given I have no high-end PC at this point.  Same with Skyrim, as I'd love to play ES on the go, and the little I've played of Skyrim makes it an instant yes.  So yes, sales are bound to be good, and given sell-through rates, marketing, and the number of options Nintendo has to broaden the Switch concept (eventual extra CPU/GPU in the dock for 4K, and/or a Switch "Pro" with a reworked Tegra 2 taking full advantage of the chipset much like with the tweaked Tegra 1).  So even going into the future, given the Switch's ease of compatibility, ease of writing software (and emulators for older systems that might match more closely the original hardware, like the current generation of SNES/Genesis emulators), there's just more room and room to grow for more gamers of more types, and the target audience being adults while still retaining kids because Nintendo is Nintendo definitely means money and more money.  Plus I love the design, I like the feel of the controllers, the size of the screen, and batteries with longer life are likely in the future...so when I do own one I'll definitely be playing this game on it.

“So there’s a good chance they’ve reconsidered their approach and want to assure it sells.” - what you said.

”It’s a Switch port. It will sell.” - what I said.

Seems related to me. I know the bulk of what you said was about “why” it’s taking so long, but the point I was trying to get across in my original post that you quoted was that the Switch is getting piles of late ports, and obviously there’s a reason for their existence. It doesn’t matter what’s in it. Some of those Switch ports even cut out features or don’t look as nice.

The “why”s don’t even really matter. I’d bet cash they just didn’t start work on the port and only just got around to it. There will likely be some extra #$*! in it, but the reason why it’s late isn’t a big mystery that needs to be cracked.