Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

DQ Illustrations 30th Anniv. Ed. Release Date for the West

Is anyone considering buying this?

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 1

I'll be getting it, wanted it when it came out in Japan, but it was sold out quick.

To think, I skipped out on Anime Boston this year where I’m sure they announced this.

Yes, I’m gonna jump on this. Let me rephrase that: someone will probably get this for me for my birthday.

It feels like somebody is trying to make Dragon Quest a big franchise here in time for XI, like they tried to with VIII.

It's a great book, but content gets a little thin for games after V.

Really shocked it making it over here, I know they are making a push with XI, but this book literally only has like one page for XI and that's a pic of the hero.

2 minutes ago, Fates said:

Really shocked it making it over here, I know they are making a push with XI, but this book literally only has like one page for XI and that's a pic of the hero.

Viz prints tons of artbooks. They printed one for the My Little Pony movie.

It’s Akira Toriyama art. They publish Dragon Ball Z. Heck, I first heard of DQ and got a demo disc of VIII from Monthly Shonen Jump.

Very true. Hopefully the DQ fanbase will have grown by the time it comes out. :)

I'm honestly surprised we are getting this. I'll order it once it goes up for pre-order, or maybe ask for it for Christmas.

I already have the Japanese version but... I'm still tempted to get it.

The worst hero in the series too. Damn.

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, Fates said:

The worst hero in the series too. Damn.

I have no clue what you’re trying to say. That V has the worst hero? Or XI?

I think he means the XI hero. Who can not like V's hero and his pimp cane?

I totally want to get this. Also this reminds me of my musings on using Akira Toriyama's fame among western DBZ fans to grow the fanbase. Get on that SE.

I hope we get the fancy slipcover, too.

1 hour ago, eal said:

To think, I skipped out on Anime Boston this year where I’m sure they announced this.

Yes, I’m gonna jump on this. Let me rephrase that: someone will probably get this for me for my birthday.

It feels like somebody is trying to make Dragon Quest a big franchise here in time for XI, like they tried to with VIII.

You don't say...

17 minutes ago, Fates said:

I think he means the XI hero.

That’s what I thought too. Platty’s been pretty adamant in his hate for XI’s hero, MoptopMo, mainly because of his hair.

I really hope Platty meant XI D:

Wow, that's cool! I didn't think we'd get this, but I'll definitely pick it up! Was eying the Japanese version, but ultimately decided to hold off. But now I can just buy the localized one!

If I remember correctly, didn't the Japanese one release before XI did? Maybe they'll throw in a few extra pages with some of the game's art now that it's finished. Also, I guess whatever art is in there from X will have localized names. At this point, I seriously doubt we'll get X (unless XI sells  amazingly, maybe??), so it'll be cool to get some stuff from it localized. Besides interview discussions, this is the first official acknowledgement of X in the West, right? That's kinda neat!

It's been a good week to be a DQ fan. :P XI's release date and this art book were great announcements, and I hope that their pushing the series goes well and it starts getting more popular in the West!

Edited by gooieooie

6 hours ago, eal said:

They should bring back Slime Knights! I missed out the first time 'round...

I did. The hair...
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
5 hours ago, Nikkolus said:

I did. The hair...

See, I told you guys it was XI's hero. Good ol' MoptopMo.

• Like 1

Won't be pre-ordering it yet, but definitely going to take care of it before the year end as I have the occasional interest in such books, plus it's arguably an easy opportunity to support the franchise on this side of the world (USA).

Would like imput though through a post or PM if there are other US products being made beyond the game though.  At any rate I have all of the Zenitihian trilogy games for the DS, VII and VIII on the 3DS and IV on the mobile.

And yeah I'm going to get more of the mobile games in time, plus the 99 cent companion guides for IV and VIII for that reason.

So, the release date on the West went so far to the west that it totally skipped Europe and ended up on San Francisco. T_T

I've tried to check if they are going to release it here but I haven't found any info. Maybe they release it in the UK and I can get it for a cheaper shipping, because even the tinniest thing from the US has always costed me around 20€. T_T

I'm not going to complain tho, if I can get the book in English I'm MORE THAN HAPPY.

Heck... they sell the Japanese version on Amazon for around 64€ (that's around $79 for y'all :P ), I might wishlist this.

Edited by Aurin
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 1:52 PM, Aurin said:

So, the release date on the West went so far to the west that it totally skipped Europe and ended up on San Francisco. T_T

I've tried to check if they are going to release it here but I haven't found any info. Maybe they release it in the UK and I can get it for a cheaper shipping, because even the tinniest thing from the US has always costed me around 20€. T_T

I'm not going to complain tho, if I can get the book in English I'm MORE THAN HAPPY.

Heck... they sell the Japanese version on Amazon for around 64€ (that's around $79 for y'all :P ), I might wishlist this.

Viz Media is an American company and they're the ones handling this artbook. You could maybe check with their counterpart Viz Europe? http://vizeurope.com/en/

On 4/19/2018 at 1:18 AM, Michi said:

Viz Media is an American company and they're the ones handling this artbook. You could maybe check with their counterpart Viz Europe? http://vizeurope.com/en/

Oh, thanks a lot, yeah I saw it was from America that's why i said San Francisco, or apparently that's were they are based.

I wish they do several translations for it asides from English, but I know that's too much asking, if not, the Japanese version will do.