Sign in to follow this  
NidoTower

Is there hope for a DQXI 3DS English fan-translation? Lets discuss this here

Not releasing a version for an end of life console certainly isn't an ethical problem. However I don't see a campaign as being ungrateful.

I'll be pleased if we do get a 3DS version but I wouldn't hold my breath. Fan translation is probably our best bet.

1 hour ago, ignasia said:

Yes, yes they do.  Especially when said system is still active, even if in its final stages.  There is still a large audience to draw from, and a standard campaign is likely to draw more attention from more gamers who would have purchased 7 and 8 had they been aware, but are equally likely to buy 11.  Though for them, and after reading Bob's thoughts, and eal's, I have to agree that SE does want a certain aesthetic attributed to DQ11 in the West, and they don't want to risk confusion of the game between the 3DS and PS4.  Who knows though, because it's officially announced, Nintendo might pick it up on their own, or if we make enough of a cry for the 3DS, they may consider handling that on their own.  No DLC so no server to manage, and SE would provide the script (well, SE provided the script for almost all versions, with the exception of most of 6 DS, not Nintendo, so no changes there).

I'm confused, I agree with you. This post makes no sense, we have the same opinion. Go back and read my post, unless you ARE agreeing with your first sentence. Then in that case never mind. I think I just got confused on the context and wording.

Edited by muddy120

1 hour ago, eal said:

I wouldn’t call them deciding not to take a financial gamble on a version of a game an ethical problem.

I used the word ethical but more so meant its their obligation as a game company, and when they hold releases hostage and treat their fans like #$*!, you could see that as ethical wrong(obv not like a real moral situation, I'm using it in a more light hearted sense)

3 minutes ago, muddy120 said:

I used the word ethical but more so meant its their obligation as a game company, and when they hold releases hostage and treat their fans like #$*!, you could see that as ethical wrong(obv not like a real moral situation, I'm using it in a more light hearted sense)

They’re not holding it hostage. That implies you have to do something to get something back that was taken from you. They just didn’t want to gamble on it, most likely. I can’t speak to what they were thinking, but they haven’t published a Nintendo handheld Dragon Quest game in forever, and they probably assumed people would rather have the better version over the 3DS version. Lots of people are transitioning over to the Switch now from the 3DS, and there will be even more Switch owners by the end of the year, when the game releases.

Feels like DQ fans have an inferiority complex so they accept whatever comes our way even if we should get every release like everyone else. The spoiled arguement is valid but only goes so far in certain contexts.

Edited by muddy120

2 minutes ago, eal said:

They’re not holding it hostage. That implies you have to do something to get something back that was taken from you. They just didn’t want to gamble on it, most likely. I can’t speak to what they were thinking, but they haven’t published a Nintendo handheld Dragon Quest game in forever, and they probably assumed people would rather have the better version over the 3DS version. Lots of people are transitioning over to the Switch now from the 3DS, and there will be even more Switch owners by the end of the year, when the game releases.

Then why is there no Switch release announced date when it was announced b4 the Switch was even named officially to come being the NX at the time.

This video here goes really in depth on a good opinion and analysis on this whole fiasco on DQ XI getting localized, I recommend people watch it, its really well video and opinion, imo whether you agree with what he says or not.

2 minutes ago, muddy120 said:

Then why is there no Switch release announced date when it was announced b4 the Switch was even named officially to come being the NX at the time.

I’m confused by the language. If you’re asking why there’s no release date for the Switch version, it’s probably because it’s not finished yet.

Even so, I don’t know what that has to do with what we’re talking about at the moment.

4 minutes ago, eal said:

I’m confused by the language. If you’re asking why there’s no release date for the Switch version, it’s probably because it’s not finished yet.

Even so, I don’t know what that has to do with what we’re talking about at the moment.

I mentioned because u transitioned by saying the 3ds version is prob not coming because there focusing on the switch release which is the better newer nintendo console, which is a valid arguement but the problem is theres no excuse because DQ XI was ANNOUNCED for the NX before the switch was revealed so basically SE didnt care too much until prob it started selling, basically no faith in Nintendo is a theory on why its still not been shown after all this time, until it started selling of course, which contradicts why'd u announce it so early in NX but still not show anything after so long.

Edited by muddy120

1 hour ago, muddy120 said:

I mentioned because u transitioned by saying the 3ds version is prob not coming because there focusing on the switch release which is the better newer nintendo console, which is a valid arguement but the problem is theres no excuse because DQ XI was ANNOUNCED for the NX before the switch was revealed so basically SE didnt care too much until prob it started selling, basically no faith in Nintendo is a theory on why its still not been shown after all this time, until it started selling of course, which contradicts why'd u announce it so early in NX but still not show anything after so long.

I mean, I’d sooner guess the real reason was because SE doesn’t care about handhelds in general. We got digital only on all the Vita ports. Nintendo published the last couple 3DS games themselves.

21 minutes ago, eal said:

I mean, I’d sooner guess the real reason was because SE doesn’t care about handhelds in general. We got digital only on all the Vita ports. Nintendo published the last couple 3DS games themselves.

Then why'd they say there gonna fully support the switch with their titles hardcore:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/lots_of_developers_at_square_enix_want_to_make_games_for_switch_says_president_and_ceo

https://nintendeal.com/news/nintendo-switch-to-receive-aggressive-support-from-square-enix/

Oooooo! Hardcore titles on the Switch?@eal we're going to get Omega Labyrinth Z on the Switch! How open of Nintendo.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

Oooooo! Hardcore titles on the Switch?@eal we're going to get Omega Labyrinth Z on the Switch! How open of Nintendo.

Not nintendo, anyways the point is these companies may be lieing for all we know. This is just corporate jargon, we'll see what happens when we see results.

Not nintendo, anyways the point is these companies may be lieing for all we know. This is just corporate jargon, we'll see what happens when we see results.
Technically if we don't see results, that will also be seen.

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I mean, we got Gal Gun 2 on Switch.

I see there seems to be a bit of entitlement here. Let me say one thing: 

Stop. Just stop. We fans aren't owed a goddamn thing, unless we actually did something to arrange such a situation. So we didn't get the 3DS version. Yes, that sucks, but that's the hand we were dealt. Starting a campaign isn't a poor idea, but to act like we were in any way owed each version of the game is a bit childish. 

I can't claim to know the reasonings for certain, but I figure the reason we didn't get the 3DS version is because the extra cost of localizing it was probably determined to exceed the potential returns given that a Switch version is coming. Aside from the 3DS being easily hackable at this point in its lifespan (I think), it's possible that SE doesn't trust enough people to double dip on both versions, ignoring the fact that PS4 and Steam versions are also coming. There's also the fact that SE wants to see some good sales, and ensuring that they'll be receiving a part of the profits from a $60 game instead of a $40 game is likely a goal. 

Perhaps they can be swayed if they receive enough assurance that the 3DS version is well worth bringing over, but it's best to not dwell on it much and look forward to what we are getting.

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It’s tough because sometimes SE is the worst, and they should be called out. But other times there are things that people ride them for stuff that’s just petty, and it makes the fan base look ungrateful entitled. You need to find the happy medium.

Sword makes good points. I'm happy we're getting the game and they are adding several things to our version. I'm still hoping Nintendo will surprise us and say they'll be handling the 3DS version, even if it's far down the road from DQ11's initial western release.

Anyway, continue on gentlemen...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

I see there seems to be a bit of entitlement here. Let me say one thing: 

Stop. Just stop. We fans aren't owed a goddamn thing, unless we actually did something to arrange such a situation. So we didn't get the 3DS version. Yes, that sucks, but that's the hand we were dealt. Starting a campaign isn't a poor idea, but to act like we were in any way owed each version of the game is a bit childish. 

I can't claim to know the reasonings for certain, but I figure the reason we didn't get the 3DS version is because the extra cost of localizing it was probably determined to exceed the potential returns given that a Switch version is coming. Aside from the 3DS being easily hackable at this point in its lifespan (I think), it's possible that SE doesn't trust enough people to double dip on both versions, ignoring the fact that PS4 and Steam versions are also coming. There's also the fact that SE wants to see some good sales, and ensuring that they'll be receiving a part of the profits from a $60 game instead of a $40 game is likely a goal. 

Perhaps they can be swayed if they receive enough assurance that the 3DS version is well worth bringing over, but it's best to not dwell on it much and look forward to what we are getting.

When did I ever indicate we were owed the game?  I said I would be up for writing SE to change their minds and reconsider the 3DS release, and hope for enough support to the notion that maybe they may change their minds, and if not, perhaps Nintendo might take up the charge.  I'm unsure how this position constitutes such a reaction.

Also, no, cost to localize would not exceed the costs of sales.  We can see this quite clearly with plenty of Atlus and XSeed releases, where we're dealing with VA work, text bodies of equivalent size to slightly less, to greater size than DQ7, and 25~30k units is considered profitable for them with a limited release run.  So it's never a matter of profit potential for SE, especially given localization costs are far below initial development costs, and plenty of teams seem to do fine making rather expansive games and selling at 75k~200k in sales, the higher end on the low end for DQ releases in the West (mobile numbers ignored for obvious reasons).  It's probably more a perception element than it is a cost to sales association based on profit.  I think they want DQ to be seen, with the flagship games anyhow, as having large sales in the West, and perhaps the unique downgraded 3DS graphics might be confused with the PS4, causing potential consternation in new players as to what experience they'll get.  Afterall, it's not often a game is released on multiple systems with completely unique graphics systems of the style DQ11 was initially created with.  So it could easily be confusing for non-fans who would prefer the PS4.

I would say Bob's numbers are wrong about PS4 versus 3DS numbers in the West, as the difference is negligible and the 3DS still sold well considering how poorly this current total generation of system sales is...lowest in 3 generations, with the PS4 being the sole exception, while previously the total number of system sales just grew and grew, but that is changing now and the Switch is on the winds of economic growth and potential stability, unlike the 3DS.  The differential isn't that bad, but his argument that the graphical quality of the PS4 being compared to the 3DS might turn off some Western gamers, and, you've also mentioned this in your post, the 3DS is on its way out, while the PS4 Pro is seen as a "new" system, and Nintendo/Sony/MS are now talking about extending this generation of systems.  Likely due to development costs, so the Switch is here to stay for quite some time, and is likely to see an upgraded form with a Tegra 2 rather than the Switch 2, much like the PS4 Pro and XB1S/X, instead of a PS5 and Xbox4.

So yes, I can understand the argument if we're going from SE's position, especially given the Switch is more likely to capture new gamers who are switch owners in the US/EU, and they gamble on the idea that DQ fans who own a switch or have a 3DS are more likely to get the switch anyway given Nintendo's exclusivity on their own systems...so if not PS4/Steam, then Switch for sure, which also keeps things fresh.

That said, I see no harm in asking for a change, especially given the nature of the 3DS experience is one I, and others, were more looking forward to, and where many of us have expressed a desire to play both versions.  I was really looking forward to going back and forth from one version to the other.  So again, why is there anything wrong with asking a perfectly legitimate request of the 3DS version when there are 18+million 3DS users, and the 3DS is still kicking, even though it's dying, and is still more portable than the Switch?  Why is this a bad thing?

*whispers pcmasterrace over and over to himself while everyone else is fighting*

9 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

*whispers pcmasterrace over and over to himself while everyone else is fighting*

*gifts a Pinwheel Hat*

One day I'll rejoin the PC crowd.  For now it's too expensive.  I can't even repair the two PC's and desktop replacement I owned and were destroyed (laptop by my own hands).  Even so, I still prefer gaming on handhelds and consoles.  Less hassle.

Edited by ignasia

*gifts a Pinwheel Hat*
One day I'll rejoin the PC crowd.  For now it's too expensive.  I can't even repair the two PC's and desktop replacement I owned and were destroyed (laptop by my own hands).  Even so, I still prefer gaming on handhelds and consoles.  Less hassle.
I'm just ecstatic that we're getting a REAL Dragon Quest game on Steam. We barely get enough JRPGs much less a DQ game! I've been trying to explain to my non-DQ-savvy friends that this like getting a Pokemon game released for PC. It just doesn't happen.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
9 minutes ago, ignasia said:
*gifts a Pinwheel Hat*

I'm just ecstatic that we're getting a REAL Dragon Quest game on Steam. We barely get enough JRPGs much less a DQ game! I've been trying to explain to my non-DQ-savvy friends that this like getting a Pokemon game released for PC. It just doesn't happen.

I have to admit, it is nice seeing so many SE games released on Steam.  I just hope they don't fudge it up like...oh...the Chrono Trigger release.  That said it's a good start, and one that allows patching and fan tweaks like adding in the symphonic suite, and even potential fan-made expansions and game tweaks though probably not with SE's blessing, lol.

It was something I was thinking about.  My steam games stay with me regardless of how many computers I purchase and install on.  They're mine, period.  So having DQ on steam can portend to an eventual...all DQ games on steam (hopefully).  I mean I would really enjoy a single platform to just play each and every game.  Plus it really does make it easier to get PC fans into the mix, as there is that sense Western games are getting a tad stale, and there's a little too much rinse and repeat in the mix.  Especially given the graphics and anime aesthetic...nevermind Toriyama's name thrown in the mix.

Edited by ignasia

34 minutes ago, ignasia said:

When did I ever indicate we were owed the game?  I said I would be up for writing SE to change their minds and reconsider the 3DS release, and hope for enough support to the notion that maybe they may change their minds, and if not, perhaps Nintendo might take up the charge.  I'm unsure how this position constitutes such a reaction.

Also, no, cost to localize would not exceed the costs of sales.  We can see this quite clearly with plenty of Atlus and XSeed releases, where we're dealing with VA work, text bodies of equivalent size to slightly less, to greater size than DQ7, and 25~30k units is considered profitable for them with a limited release run.  So it's never a matter of profit potential for SE, especially given localization costs are far below initial development costs, and plenty of teams seem to do fine making rather expansive games and selling at 75k~200k in sales, the higher end on the low end for DQ releases in the West (mobile numbers ignored for obvious reasons).  It's probably more a perception element than it is a cost to sales association based on profit.  I think they want DQ to be seen, with the flagship games anyhow, as having large sales in the West, and perhaps the unique downgraded 3DS graphics might be confused with the PS4, causing potential consternation in new players as to what experience they'll get.  Afterall, it's not often a game is released on multiple systems with completely unique graphics systems of the style DQ11 was initially created with.  So it could easily be confusing for non-fans who would prefer the PS4.

I would say Bob's numbers are wrong about PS4 versus 3DS numbers in the West, as the difference is negligible and the 3DS still sold well considering how poorly this current total generation of system sales is...lowest in 3 generations, with the PS4 being the sole exception, while previously the total number of system sales just grew and grew, but that is changing now and the Switch is on the winds of economic growth and potential stability, unlike the 3DS.  The differential isn't that bad, but his argument that the graphical quality of the PS4 being compared to the 3DS might turn off some Western gamers, and, you've also mentioned this in your post, the 3DS is on its way out, while the PS4 Pro is seen as a "new" system, and Nintendo/Sony/MS are now talking about extending this generation of systems.  Likely due to development costs, so the Switch is here to stay for quite some time, and is likely to see an upgraded form with a Tegra 2 rather than the Switch 2, much like the PS4 Pro and XB1S/X, instead of a PS5 and Xbox4.

So yes, I can understand the argument if we're going from SE's position, especially given the Switch is more likely to capture new gamers who are switch owners in the US/EU, and they gamble on the idea that DQ fans who own a switch or have a 3DS are more likely to get the switch anyway given Nintendo's exclusivity on their own systems...so if not PS4/Steam, then Switch for sure, which also keeps things fresh.

That said, I see no harm in asking for a change, especially given the nature of the 3DS experience is one I, and others, were more looking forward to, and where many of us have expressed a desire to play both versions.  I was really looking forward to going back and forth from one version to the other.  So again, why is there anything wrong with asking a perfectly legitimate request of the 3DS version when there are 18+million 3DS users, and the 3DS is still kicking, even though it's dying, and is still more portable than the Switch?  Why is this a bad thing?

Your notorious for your essay like responses on here and I commend you for that good sir, I just gotta ask. Don't you get tired writing these long post everytime lol when responding most the time, I know off topic but I couldn't help it, just popped in my mind.