Is there hope for a DQXI 3DS English fan-translation? Lets discuss this here

NidoTower

Now that we have been given the sad and unfortunate (and perhaps, infuriating) news that 3DS DQXI will not be released outside of Japan, I guess the conversation now shifts to the possibilities for an English fan-translated patch.  -- As well as the right 3DS emulation to be able to play it (3DS emulation exists but I haven't really looked into that yet).

While I am more than a little bummed about Square Enix closing the door on 3DS DQXI coming to the west, the writing is on the wall and there's probably little point in trying to ask them to do otherwise.

I imagine its now upto the community and fans to make it possible to play 2D/3D Dragon Quest XI 3DS in English.

What do you all think - Please use this as a springboard for discussion.

Oh, emulation is absolutely possible: 

The bigger question is if the tools yet exist for doing translations of 3DS games, that I don't know.  If they do?  Then I'm sure somebody will get around to Dragon Quest XI at some point, especially since they probably don't need as much translators as usual since they can probably get a rather lot of help from the official localisation.

I personally really wish I could just play it on my 3DS though :(

Edited by Enclave

3 hours ago, Enclave said:

The bigger question is if the tools yet exist for doing translations of 3DS games, that I don't know.  If they do?

People have translated several other 3DS games, so why not? It's just data :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it's much easier for a modern game like DQ11, compared to retro console games. You aren't working with the same tight constraints, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could do it without even having to change the code, since the game probably supports an English character set from the get-go due to coding standards, and the dialogue data would be stored in a more simple and dynamic fashion.

If you do have to change the code, though, it gets more complicated, as the games obviously aren't programmed in assembly, so you can't just alter the code directly.

Edited by Sumez

Oh, emulation is absolutely possible: 

The bigger question is if the tools yet exist for doing translations of 3DS games, that I don't know.  If they do?  Then I'm sure somebody will get around to Dragon Quest XI at some point, especially since they probably don't need as much translators as usual since they can probably get a rather lot of help from the official localisation.

I personally really wish I could just play it on my 3DS though

The answer to all this is: Yes!

Citra works well on my new PC, not even a gaming pc, just my new $399 Dell.

I've recently come into possession of fan translated versions of Joker 3 and Terry's Adventure (which I'll be starting tonight actually). I've tested them a bit and no crashes yet, so Yay! Cannot wait to buy myself in them for the next few months!

Yes, it'll just be a matter of time, maybe 2-3 years after the STEAM release than someone gets most of the text inserted and fixes the menus.

I would say wait until E3. Nintendo does their own thing and have announced Square Enix games through their directs and subsequent press releases.

Since the majority of the script likely matches up, I wouldn't think it would be too terribly arduous. Just finding the right font and formatting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

The answer to all this is: Yes!

Citra works well on my new PC, not even a gaming pc, just my new $399 Dell.

I've recently come into possession of fan translated versions of Joker 3 and Terry's Adventure (which I'll be starting tonight actually). I've tested them a bit and no crashes yet, so Yay! Cannot wait to buy myself in them for the next few months!

Yes, it'll just be a matter of time, maybe 2-3 years after the STEAM release than someone gets most of the text inserted and fixes the menus.

Man I didn’t realize 3DS emulation was that far along...  I might look into playing DQ 7 and 8 on my PC lol.  I have the 3DS versions (with the box art and cartridges to prove it :P) but I honestly would rather play them on a PC if emulation is possible. 

That’s pretty sweet.  Seems like the 3DS version should easily get a fan translation then given modders will have the PS4/Steam version to use as a guide.  

• Like 1

Ah, see I hadn't kept up with the fan translation scene recently so wasn't sure of its state. So yeah, give it time, we'll definitely be able to play the 3DS version at some point. 

Man I didn’t realize 3DS emulation was that far along...  I might look into playing DQ 7 and 8 on my PC lol.  I have the 3DS versions (with the box art and cartridges to prove it ) but I honestly would rather play them on a PC if emulation is possible. 
That’s pretty sweet.  Seems like the 3DS version should easily get a fan translation then given modders will have the PS4/Steam version to use as a guide.  
I didn't realize either. I knew Terry's Adventure had been fan translated a year or two back, but hadn't realized PC emulation was working yet. I got a new PC this month and thought I'd look for kicks and boom, there an emulator and Joker 3 done too!

It is a disappointment. this is probably the only game i would buy for the PS4 and 3DS. i thought it would be cool to beat the PS4 version first then play on the 3DS. 

• Like 1

It's absolutely possible. I've played both and the text is near identical aside from a small bit here and there. (And the exclusive content in the 3ds). I hear CITRA is moving along pretty well too so that'll probably be a big help in actually inserting the text.

• Like 1

Once the game is released on Steam, we should be able to dump the text from that version (and it will probably have the Japanese script, too, that we could compare against) and retrofit it into the 3DS game. I haven't looked directly for the text in XI yet (I only ripped the soundtrack), but so far other text in other 3DS DQ games has had little to no protection once the game is decrypted and extracted. Hell, DQ7 mobile uses the exact same files as DQ7 3DS, with a few script modifications (e.g. Streetpass Lithographs became Monster Lithographs, etc.).

Why don't we just protest for DQ XI 3DS to be released officially, it worked for DQ VII 3DS
I'm sick of protesting. Soon enough that's all they here from fans here. If I were them, I'd just stop even giving us anything. Easy enough to just cancel it all for the bunch of ungrateful fans we seem to be. As a parent and as a teacher, incessant whining goes nowhere with me.

Quick, someone call the French! Maybe they can work their magic like they did with DQ7 3DS! :laugh:

I'm sick of protesting. Soon enough that's all they here from fans here. If I were them, I'd just stop even giving us anything. Easy enough to just cancel it all for the bunch of ungrateful fans we seem to be. As a parent and as a teacher, incessant whining goes nowhere with me.
They don't care about whining or gratitude. They care about profits.

11 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
15 hours ago, muddy120 said:
Why don't we just protest for DQ XI 3DS to be released officially, it worked for DQ VII 3DS

With that mentality we'd never get games here, dont take a negative outlook as an excuse, protest to get things done. That's how to handle things like racism, injustice, and so forth. This still applies too. Protesting ACTUALLY GOT DQ VII 3DS, you don't realize how awesome that is long term for the fanbase regardless of it sold well or not.

Why call it a protest though? Im serious, protest sounds like a great injustice has occured. While I really want DQ, I wouldn't call it an injustice. Why not just call it a campaign.

Sorry I know this is just semantics.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

9 minutes ago, muddy120 said:

With that mentality we'd never get games here, dont take a negative outlook as an excuse, protest to get things done. That's how to handle things like racism, injustice, and so forth. This still applies too. Protesting ACTUALLY GOT DQ VII 3DS, you don't realize how awesome that is long term for the fanbase regardless of it sold well or not.

Ignoring the obvious non-importance of DQXI compared to racism...

So, here's the thing, I'll complain on the forums and once on Twitter, but I'm not contacting Squeenix to be a ungrateful ass.  They JUST announced DQXI PS4, I'm going to be thanking them and kissing their ass for the next few months.  Once it comes out in September and we find out that the Switch version isn't going to be the 3DS one, THEN I'll email them and complain.  We have at least one Denzian that's an employee of Squeenix and knows our concerns.  I'd like to shower Squeenix with thanks for a bit before being a jerk.  As every preKindergarten kid has been taught at every school I've been to:

Image result for you get what you get and don't throw a fit

I prefer to rise above my 4 year-old son.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, muddy120 said:

Campaign, not protest.  Being polite and making it known how many people want the 3DS is a good start towards reconsideration, assuming Dwaine isn't correct that Nintendo might do the 3DS game themselves, so SE isn't directly associated with the release.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

So, here's the thing, I'll complain on the forums and once on Twitter, but I'm not contacting Squeenix to be a ungrateful ass.  They JUST announced DQXI PS4, I'm going to be thanking them and kissing their ass for the next few months.  Once it comes out in September and we find out that the Switch version isn't going to be the 3DS one, THEN I'll email them and complain.  We have at least one Denzian that's an employee of Squeenix and knows our concerns.  I'd like to shower Squeenix with thanks for a bit before being a jerk.  As every preKindergarten kid has been taught at every school I've been to:

We've actually known it's the PS4 version for 5 months, but almost no one knew about this interview with Horii, and the only reddit post was on the Switch forum, not the Dragon Quest forum:

However, I will say this.  The interview was 5 months ago, when they were still in the middle of expecting some news Christmas of last year early this year.  Nothing has come of it.  They also have 3DS members on the team, however my guess is they're SE employees, not the development team they brought on board, but I don't know, as I cannot find any listing of who is working on it.

Given the new timeline of potentially late 2019 even for Japan, and both the ease of which the Switch adopts and accepts UE4 code, and that SE, through working with Omega Force is familiar with transitioning games to the Switch from the PS4 using UE4 for both versions, and the timeline in adapting both Heroes 1 and 2 from PS4 to Switch, let alone DQ Builders, which is also UE4...there is some hope for something from the 3DS, maybe even a rahashed 2D mode.

However, they have to make the game in a way that it justifies sales in both Japan and the US.  US is easier, because it's essentially Nintendo fans who aren't going down the Sony route, fans willing to buy both versions, and PS4 fans who actually like handheld versions and who were or are thinking of getting a Switch, as well as 3DS fans who are more likely to buy a Switch than not...eventually given Nintendo exclusivity of their own games.  For Japan, they can just add VA work as that would be unique.  However that won't take long, and again, we go back to experience with downgrading to the Switch, experience with UE4 for some years internally, and extra content.  So there is still a potential chance, however slim, that perhaps we may see the 2D version added into the game, using the UE4 engine, as an alternative mode.  However it also depends on what extra content is being created for the game, and perhaps they're not just downgrading the PS4 version, but also tweaking the graphics to give it a unique flavour on the Switch, and that might take some time as well.

That said, I wouldn't ask anyone to join in writing letters and campaigning who doesn't want to.  We've both had this discussion when I lambasted the community awhile back for essentially giving up on DQ7 and most of us quitting the campaign early.  After you, Yangus, eal, and I think even Dwaine chimed in, I understand how difficult it is to spend time doing that...it's stressful.  So I'll be happy to write emails on your behalf...or blog posts, etc.  Or post in Square-Enix social media sites on how much I want the 3DS version.  Politely though, as I am grateful for the PS4 version, and this is something I too want to emphasize.  I just really wanted that nostalgic 2D goodness.  Plus the 2D cutscenes look amazing, and allow oversight of the lack of monster battle animations.

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I agree to that, thats how I feel towards people complaining about the music. I just though you were against the entire idea of protest for games to come out. And yeah I wasn't valueing the importance of racism and gaming together just using it to make a point for protests to get games released works, since you normally think of protest with racism, sexism and such. But obv there not the same importance level and so on.

Wanting every version isn't being ungrateful imo, people have a right to complain about that in defense of that arguement. Companies should be more ethical and release games and all versions even if they're not and are corporate greedy asswholes, that's there job so when they fck they should be held accountable for it.

1 hour ago, ignasia said:

Campaign, not protest.  Being polite and making it known how many people want the 3DS is a good start towards reconsideration, assuming Dwaine isn't correct that Nintendo might do the 3DS game themselves, so SE isn't directly associated with the release.

We've actually known it's the PS4 version for 5 months, but almost no one knew about this interview with Horii, and the only reddit post was on the Switch forum, not the Dragon Quest forum:

However, I will say this.  The interview was 5 months ago, when they were still in the middle of expecting some news Christmas of last year early this year.  Nothing has come of it.  They also have 3DS members on the team, however my guess is they're SE employees, not the development team they brought on board, but I don't know, as I cannot find any listing of who is working on it.

Given the new timeline of potentially late 2019 even for Japan, and both the ease of which the Switch adopts and accepts UE4 code, and that SE, through working with Omega Force is familiar with transitioning games to the Switch from the PS4 using UE4 for both versions, and the timeline in adapting both Heroes 1 and 2 from PS4 to Switch, let alone DQ Builders, which is also UE4...there is some hope for something from the 3DS, maybe even a rahashed 2D mode.

However, they have to make the game in a way that it justifies sales in both Japan and the US.  US is easier, because it's essentially Nintendo fans who aren't going down the Sony route, fans willing to buy both versions, and PS4 fans who actually like handheld versions and who were or are thinking of getting a Switch, as well as 3DS fans who are more likely to buy a Switch than not...eventually given Nintendo exclusivity of their own games.  For Japan, they can just add VA work as that would be unique.  However that won't take long, and again, we go back to experience with downgrading to the Switch, experience with UE4 for some years internally, and extra content.  So there is still a potential chance, however slim, that perhaps we may see the 2D version added into the game, using the UE4 engine, as an alternative mode.  However it also depends on what extra content is being created for the game, and perhaps they're not just downgrading the PS4 version, but also tweaking the graphics to give it a unique flavour on the Switch, and that might take some time as well.

That said, I wouldn't ask anyone to join in writing letters and campaigning who doesn't want to.  We've both had this discussion when I lambasted the community awhile back for essentially giving up on DQ7 and most of us quitting the campaign early.  After you, Yangus, eal, and I think even Dwaine chimed in, I understand how difficult it is to spend time doing that...it's stressful.  So I'll be happy to write emails on your behalf...or blog posts, etc.  Or post in Square-Enix social media sites on how much I want the 3DS version.  Politely though, as I am grateful for the PS4 version, and this is something I too want to emphasize.  I just really wanted that nostalgic 2D goodness.  Plus the 2D cutscenes look amazing, and allow oversight of the lack of monster battle animations.

Y'all know "campaign" isn't a mainstream word when people talk about these things for getting games released, y'all are just saying this because it was brought to your attention in this thread. Most people say protest for this game release whether its right or wrong usage, its all subjective at the end of the day.

It's not purely semantics though.  It's perception.  Protest = negative, ugly, a sense of entitlement in the modern era, especially as the youth often protest for the very rights they already have, somehow being taught these rights are subject to underwritten rules for ridiculous things like Patriarchy or White Privilege.  Even in the past, it was generally ugly, seeking out out come through portrayal of things from a negative light.

Campaign implies a positive, to seek a change through promotion of the thing we want, not focusing on the things we don't, even if negativity does enter into campaigns, it's the perception of the methodology that makes a difference.

Plus the mindset when enjoining a particular group is based on the mindset and direction of that group.  When you say campaign, the language tends to be uglier, coloured in the negative attributes of the group/people you are protesting against, and how their actions affect you and others.  The mindset when going into a campaign is about building something, or building onto something.  Thus the mentality for people coming into one or the other will be inherently coloured in how they should or should not think and approach with language and actions, ways to bring about the change the protest or campaign wishes to bring about.  Ignoring this fact ignores human psychology and group think, given both always tail end in a form of mob mentality, even online.  If the mod comes from a constructive perception, the output is constructive and positive.  The reverse is also true, regardless of the intentions and mindfulness of the individual members, as the nature of human psychology when placed into a group is one generally wishes to remain part of said group and seen as an inside player and compatriot, not someone with alternative thoughts that differ from the rest, which tends to isolate, even if this is only based on ones thought process of what COULD happen, not that it will, as certainly some groups are open to suggestion and alternative paths.  All depends on leadership and how open the group is about individual contributions.  That said, there is always a natural undercurrent of collective thought and conscious direction of that thought and actions based on that thought.

1 hour ago, muddy120 said:

Wanting every version isn't being ungrateful imo, people have a right to complain about that in defense of that arguement. Companies should be more ethical and release games and all versions even if they're not and are corporate greedy asswholes, that's there job so when they fck they should be held accountable for it.

Yes, yes they do.  Especially when said system is still active, even if in its final stages.  There is still a large audience to draw from, and a standard campaign is likely to draw more attention from more gamers who would have purchased 7 and 8 had they been aware, but are equally likely to buy 11.  Though for them, and after reading Bob's thoughts, and eal's, I have to agree that SE does want a certain aesthetic attributed to DQ11 in the West, and they don't want to risk confusion of the game between the 3DS and PS4.  Who knows though, because it's officially announced, Nintendo might pick it up on their own, or if we make enough of a cry for the 3DS, they may consider handling that on their own.  No DLC so no server to manage, and SE would provide the script (well, SE provided the script for almost all versions, with the exception of most of 6 DS, not Nintendo, so no changes there).

1 hour ago, muddy120 said:

I wouldn’t call them deciding not to take a financial gamble on a version of a game an ethical problem.