Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

First English Gameplay of Dragon Quest XI

In the following video, you can see battles, exploration, and the voice acting demonstrated in the early versions of the English release.

The voice acting sounds really good.

• Like 1

Not watching this or any other gameplay videos. I want to remain a pure Dragon Quest XI virgin like I was able to be with P5 (aside from voices and character designs, of course).

Huh. I just realized that the text boxes are in a similar style to DQ8's PS2 version, just brown instead of blue.

Also, maybe it's just me, but Camus...er, I mean Erik, sounds like he has an American accent similar to Terry's in Dragon Quest Heroes. Not the same voice actor, just the same type of accent Terry had.

Makes me think Sylvando will speak with a Spanish or Italian accent since his song is called "Olé! Sylvando!"

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

In the following video, you can see battles, exploration, and the voice acting demonstrated in the early versions of the English release.

The voice acting sounds really good.

Hmmm, I'm guessing King Carnelian's cruel attitude is due to a certain evil demon lord and the Dark One is the god. Loving this scene, though. Can't wait for September 4th. The 3DS version may not come to America, but the Switch could combine both PS4 and 3DS. And now those Madesagora/Nadraga minions days are numbered!

Velsaco: Know this, Lightlings. Now that I have found you, your days are numbered!

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Huh. I just realized that the text boxes are in a similar style to DQ8's PS2 version, just brown instead of blue.

Also, maybe it's just me, but Camus...er, I mean Erik, sounds like he has an American accent similar to Terry's in Dragon Quest Heroes. Not the same voice actor, just the same type of accent Terry had.

Makes me think Sylvando will speak with a Spanish or Italian accent since his song is called "Olé! Sylvando!"

Sylvando, lol. I thought Slivia and Camus were fine names but the localization team is trying their best I imagine.

1 hour ago, Imutone said:

Sylvando, lol. I thought Slivia and Camus were fine names but the localization team is trying their best I imagine.

To be fair, I'm getting Sylvando's name from the back of DQ11's symphonic suite cd case, not from any English pictures or footage. It does have "Serena's Harp," as one song of the songs on Disc 1, Track 10, and as we now know our green dress, blonde haired party member is named Serena.

We also have "Rab the Wizard," as the first song of Disc 2, Track 5, which now more than ever makes me think that will be old man Rou's official English name.

Personally I'm fine with Sylvando if that does because Sylvia's official western name. Sylvia sounds (and, well, IS) a girl's name, so I like the change and think it's suits him.

I guess now you'll have to call them Erik's Socks instead of Camus's Socks, eh Imutone?!:laugh:

Not watching this or any other gameplay videos. I want to remain a pure Dragon Quest XI virgin like I was able to be with P5 (aside from voices and character designs, of course).
Purple bubble she-slime knight will take your virginity in the first dungeon.

13 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
6 hours ago, eal said:

Purple bubble she-slime knight will take your virginity in the first dungeon.

Is she hot?

Is she hot?
She'll be your best girl, but not waifu.

1 minute ago, eal said:

Is she hot?

Only in the doujinshis.

14 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
15 minutes ago, eal said:
Is she hot?

She'll be your best girl, but not waifu.

Speaking of best girls and waifus, I’m seeing people talking about Martina from XI on non-Dragon Quest outlets.

TIme to revive that group on Facebook and plan out the video/communications idea. I have thoe whole weekend off, so I'll start getting organized then.

To be fair, I'm getting Sylvando's name from the back of DQ11's symphonic suite cd case, not from any English pictures or footage. It does have "Serena's Harp," as one song of the songs on Disc 1, Track 10, and as we now know our green dress, blonde haired party member is named Serena.

We also have "Rab the Wizard," as the first song of Disc 2, Track 5, which now more than ever makes me think that will be old man Rou's official English name.

Personally I'm fine with Sylvando if that does because Sylvia's official western name. Sylvia sounds (and, well, IS) a girl's name, so I like the change and think it's suits him.

I guess now you'll have to call them Erik's Socks instead of Camus's Socks, eh Imutone?!:laugh:

Erik and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Socks.

Edited by Imutone
  • Like 1

Actually, keeping him with a feminine name would be a cool decision. Maybe a unisex one if it has to be.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Actually, keeping him with a feminine name would be a cool decision. Maybe a unisex one if it has to be.

I would have been fine with either honestly. Both would work toward his eccentric nature/style and that catchy theme song of his, easily one of my favorite tunes from DQ11's soundtrack. 

I'm not that picky when it comes to the English names for DQ characters....well, with the exception of Gabo and Aira, but that's only because that's what I first knew them as.

Meanwhile, I could take or leave Melvin or Sir Mervyn, and I'll still refer to certain DQ monsters by the names I first knew them as such as Roboster (Killing Machine), Metabble (Liquid Metal Slime), and Muduo (Murdaw). 

Guess I'm just kind of weird when it comes to DQ names! :laugh:

@Imutone

Perfect! Stick it on a t-shirt!

1 minute ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I would have been fine with either honestly. Both would work toward his eccentric nature/style and that catchy theme song of his, easily one of my favorite tunes from DQ11's soundtrack. 

I'm not that picky when it comes to the English names for DQ characters....well, with the exception of Gabo and Aira, but that's only because that's what I first knew them as.

Meanwhile, I could take or leave Melvin or Sir Mervyn, and I'll still refer to certain DQ monsters by the names I first knew them as such as Roboster (Killing Machine), Metabble (Liquid Metal Slime), and Muduo (Murdaw). 

@Imutone

Funny you mention those monsters, because I immediately embraced the new names. I embraced pretty much all of them, really, but Killing Machine and Liquid Metal Slime sounds way better than the old names.

And if you get @'ed again Imutone, sorry. I can't seem to delete the thing.

42 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Funny you mention those monsters, because I immediately embraced the new names. I embraced pretty much all of them, really, but Killing Machine and Liquid Metal Slime sounds way better than the old names.

Sorry, didn't have time to clarify that part more. With some old and new names I'm prone to switch off  on which I use. No real reason, it just happens sometimes. Like with Roboster or Killing Machine, I could go for either, no complaints. Both are good to me.

Having said that, there are a minor few where I do stick with older names, such as Muduo or Deathmore. Though with the latter I like to combine his two translation names and call him Mortamor Deathmore.

Let's just say I'm all over the place when it comes to the names! Old or new, it's all good, but in select cases there are times I prefer what I first knew.

57 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

@Imutone

Perfect! Stick it on a t-shirt!

More like stick it on some socks. And then hand those socks to Erik.

2 minutes ago, Imutone said:

More like stick it on some socks. And then hand those socks to Erik.

How about we compromise and put that saying on a shirt with a picture of Erik holding orange socks in disgust?

10 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Sorry, didn't have time to clarify that part more. With some old and new names I'm prone to switch off  on which I use. No real reason, it just happens sometimes. Like with Roboster or Killing Machine, I could go for either, no complaints. Both are good to me.

Having said that, there are a minor few where I do stick with older names, such as Muduo or Deathmore. Though with the latter I like to combine his two translation names and call him Mortamor Deathmore.

Let's just say I'm all over the place when it comes to the names! Old or new, it's all good, but in select cases there are times I prefer what I first knew.

For me, Mortamor is the name I prefer. Deathmore sounds too much like an old school spell.

1 minute ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

How about we compromise and put that saying on a shirt with a picture of Erik holding orange socks in disgust?

Now we're talking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

For me, Mortamor is the name I prefer. Deathmore sounds too much like an old school spell.

It totally does! Sounds like it could be the sister spell name for Blazemore from the older DQ translations if they hadn't used Defeat for Thwack back then.

5 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It totally does! Sounds like it could be the sister spell name for Blazemore from the older DQ translations if they hadn't used Defeat for Thwack back then.

Yep. And while that's pretty cool, it doesn't do it for me as the name of the big bad. 

14 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Yep. And while that's pretty cool, it doesn't do it for me as the name of the big bad. 

You saying that reminds me there's a final boss from a game that I thought had a totally unfitting name. It wasn't Dragon Quest related, but I'm blanking what it was right now. Might be something Kirby related...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more English gameplay footage in the future. I've only seen the first hour of gameplay from the Japanese PS4 version and what little gameplay was shown in Japanese trailers, so I'm kind of hoping we'll see a video series showing off the playable cast, sort of like what they did for DQ8 3DS.

Or that they'll show off a bit more of the English voice acting from the early parts of the game. Maybe the opening cutscene of the game where we see the hero as a baby with his mother before misfortune strikes.