Dragon Quest XI Version(s) Poll

Dakhil

Which version(s) of Dragon Quest XI will you get?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Where's the option for "All of the Above"?
Where's the option for "more information about the Switch version is needed before I make an informed decision."

My 2 cents? It'll be a lesser version of the PS4 version. Why? Because they're keeping it secret. They know they pissed off some NA DQ fans (hell, worldwide, France got us DQVII DS), so there's zero reason to not tell fans" don't worry, you'll get your 3ds version, but on Switch." No information like that? That means...
3310da2f5dd4041f1512f56ed6764ec0.jpg

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Where's the option for "more information about the Switch version is needed before I make an informed decision."

My 2 cents? It'll be a lesser version of the PS4 version. Why? Because they're keeping it secret. They know they pissed off some NA DQ fans (hell, worldwide, France got us DQVII DS), so there's zero reason to not tell fans" don't worry, you'll get your 3ds version, but on Switch." No information like that? That means...

You’re right that it will be the lesser version, but that’s part of being a Switch port in general. Some games have whole game modes stripped from the game for Switch.

8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

While it probably will be a scaled back version that we get on the PS4, I don't see the big problem there?  Yeah, I'd LOVE if it's an enhanced version of the 3DS version but even if it's just a scaled back PS4+PC version?  That still means I can play it on the go on my Switch.

14 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I'll be the one to #$*! immediately that we're not getting 3DS. Screw Squeenix.

That said, I finish my masters degree 11 days before release. Happy graduation gift to me.

This is likely almost certainly Nintendo's, not SE's doing.  I had considered it as an option, but thought SE would realize DQ11 3DS sales would be much higher due to being tied to advertisements of the PS4 and Switch, which would be the favoured versions.  Hell DQ7 and 8 had a LOT more attention from SE fans when we were trolling SE.  When Nintendo and SE announced them, for SE's part it was kept only on the DQ twitter and facebook, not their main pages.  So less attention overall, and there were a number of winter blockbusters for Nintendo's Switch being pushed at the same time overshadowing the youtube campaign...and yet SE still made it clear sales were wildly well above expectations a week afterwards, so even though they assured FF and KH fanboys who showed interest in our campaign for DQ7, and the DQ series, would likely not even know the games were actually released, they did well, or better than expected.

I get it, but I'm amazed.  I wonder what Nintendo promised for Switch exclusivity, because that's the only way this would happen given SE would know due to a normal marketing campaign, they'd likely sell 300~600k units on the 3DS alone, and potentially much lower on the Switch unless Nintendo really does something for them, or they really pull a rabbit out of their hat with the Switch version and create some truly epic elements, maybe add in at least the 2D gui as an extra incentive.  Maybe paying directly into their marketing?  Maybe reduced cost for production? 

Edited by ignasia

I don’t think Nintendo promised anything for Switch exclusivity.  SE probably thought the 3DS market was on its way out (which it is) and bringing the game to the Switch is more logical. The same SE that made that decision is the same SE that decided not to release the PSP version of Type-0 and instead release the PS4 version.  

It’s the same thing.  Handhelds don’t have the selling power they once had (and the 3DS is more like a PSP successor than a DS successor in terms of sales and popularity outside of Japan).  Not saying I like it (just like I’m upset we never got Type-0 on PSP) but I can understand their reasoning.  SE wants to grow the brand in the West and they are putting the game on the three most successful platforms in the West (PS4 , Switch, and Steam).  

The 3DS offers the game on the go with weaker graphics. The Switch offers the game on the go with console quality graphics and without making it an entirely new game. The Dragon Quest market is incredibly small. Stretching one game across four platforms would’ve been silly of them. I totally understand their decision.

59 minutes ago, eal said:

Stretching one game across four platforms would’ve been silly of them. I totally understand their decision.

Not only that but three of the four versions (PS4, Steam, and Switch) all use the same engine while the other version (3DS) uses a completely different engine. 

They probably thought the 3DS version wasn’t worth the effort when they came just focus on the UE 4 version (PS4/Switch/PC) and just adjust and tweak the game for each version without much issue.  

49 minutes ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

Not only that but three of the four versions (PS4, Steam, and Switch) all use the same engine while the other version (3DS) uses a completely different engine. 

They probably thought the 3DS version wasn’t worth the effort when they came just focus on the UE 4 version (PS4/Switch/PC) and just adjust and tweak the game for each version without much issue.  

In the end, past history was a good indicator. Nintendo had been publishing the handheld games for a long time now. We can speculate until the end of time, but only Square Enix knows why they didn’t want to involve themselves with those games. History repeats itself now. They only have interest in the console games. You thought the 3DS remakes didn’t sell well? XI would be curb stomped if it was up against a superior PS4 and Steam version.

37 minutes ago, eal said:

They only have interest in the console games. You thought the 3DS remakes didn’t sell well? XI would be curb stomped if it was up against a superior PS4 and Steam version.

Yeah that’s exactly true.  NA and EU just aren’t as into portable gaming as Japan is.  The 3DS struggled to hit PSP numbers outside Japan (and we all know just of big of a “failure” the PSP was amongst the Western media/gamers). 

SE did specifically say that the 3DS version was developed for Japan so it sounds like it probably wouldn’t have come out regardless.  The market preference in the West (consoles and PCs) and the fact that the 3DS version is more work due to its unique engine (compared to the multi-platform engine of the other versions) most likely sealed the deal from day one. 

2 hours ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

Yeah that’s exactly true.  NA and EU just aren’t as into portable gaming as Japan is.  The 3DS struggled to hit PSP numbers outside Japan (and we all know just of big of a “failure” the PSP was amongst the Western media/gamers). 

SE did specifically say that the 3DS version was developed for Japan so it sounds like it probably wouldn’t have come out regardless.  The market preference in the West (consoles and PCs) and the fact that the 3DS version is more work due to its unique engine (compared to the multi-platform engine of the other versions) most likely sealed the deal from day one. 

I wouldn’t say they’re not into portable gaming. I just think the era of new games that look like slightly nicer then N64 games on handheld are over. The Switch makes the 3DS redundant.

1 hour ago, eal said:

I wouldn’t say they’re not into portable gaming. I just think the era of new games that look like slightly nicer then N64 games on handheld are over. The Switch makes the 3DS redundant.

I didn’t mean they’re not into portable gaming, only that console and (more and more at least) PC gaming seems to be their focus.  Not releasing FF Type-0 or the 3DS DQ titles just seemed odd to me, although I can understand certain reasons why they weren’t (I don’t know if my reasons are correct; just that I can rationalize several reasons why). 

The 3DS is certainly on the way out though.  Outside Nintendo is anyone putting much effort into it these days?  The Switch is the best hardware Nintendo has developed in decades in my opinion.  The hybrid design is genius.  I debate a lot about getting a PS4 or a Switch version of a game (like I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear for example).  

I didn’t mean they’re not into portable gaming, only that console and (more and more at least) PC gaming seems to be their focus.  Not releasing FF Type-0 or the 3DS DQ titles just seemed odd to me, although I can understand certain reasons why they weren’t (I don’t know if my reasons are correct; just that I can rationalize several reasons why). 
The 3DS is certainly on the way out though.  Outside Nintendo is anyone putting much effort into it these days?  The Switch is the best hardware Nintendo has developed in decades in my opinion.  The hybrid design is genius.  I debate a lot about getting a PS4 or a Switch version of a game (like I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear for example).  
Atlus. Atlus puts effort into 3DS.

20 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
22 minutes ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

Is Atlus the publisher for Radiant Historia?  I need to buy a copy of that game.  Loved it on DS. 

23 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Indeed. They've done great for the 3DS's entire lifespan.

Thought so.  I loved that game lol. 

What are the big games coming out for 3DS?  I think a Luigi’s Mansion 1 remake/port was announced last month but I can’t think of much else. 

I am curious as to the Switch delay though.  It’s going to launch in Japan at least a year and a half after the PS4 and 3DS versions.  I can’t imagine it selling too well at that point.  I would have bet that it would have been a February/March 2018 release to be honest, only to discover it’s not even coming out in 2018 at all. 

At any rate the Switch, the PS4, and Steam are all vastly more popular outside Japan than the 3DS ever was so I can understand if one version had to go why it was that one.  They can simply localize the PS4 version and tweak and optimize it fairly easily for the other UE4 versions without too much hassle. 

So I am just going to assume we shouldn’t expect new Switch-related news until after the PS4/Steam launch.  I guess after they get those versions out the door you’ll see a bigger focus put on the Switch conversion. 

28 minutes ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

What are the big games coming out for 3DS?  I think a Luigi’s Mansion 1 remake/port was announced last month but I can’t think of much else. 

From what I can remember, we have...

-The Alliance Alive, just came out on the 28th of this month.

-Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux, comes out May 15th.

-Luigi's Mansion Remake, coming out later this year (if remember right)

-Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey (coming next year)

-Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2, which hasn't been confirmed for a western release but Atlus never skips an Etrian release even if it takes awhile, such was the case for Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth.

-An unnamed Etrian Odyssey game planned to be a "festival," styled game and the last planned game for the system (but not the end of the franchise) with an unknown release date in any territory.

-Persona Q 2, also in the same boat as the EO game above where hardly any info is known at this moment.

There are probably some others I'm forgetting, but those are at least RPGs (and one non-RPG) game still coming to the system.

• Like 1

Geez sounds like I’ve been out of the loop lol.  I spent pretty much all of 2017 focusing on family issues and I pretty much fell behind on everything haha. 

I beat FF 12 HD last month which was the first game I finished since MGS5 back in 2016.  I did buy DQ 7, DQ 8, and FF 12 HD all on their release dates though (I still have to buy DQ Heroes 2 and Builders though).  That’s why I didn’t post much here for most of the last year. 

I gave my stepson my New 3DS XL last year in the midst of it all to replace his that was stolen by his mom so I haven’t been able to play DQ 7 or 8 (I kept the 3DS DQ and Zelda games though; I gave everything else to my stepson who’s loving with his aunt now).  I think I’m going to look into buying a New 2DS XL sometime this year though.  I’d like to upgrade to a PS4 Pro first though but I don’t know if I’m going to do that or not. 

Not really sure what all this has to do with the topic at hand though lol.  Just felt like rambling I suppose. :P

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

From what I can remember, we have...

-The Alliance Alive, just came out on the 28th of this month.

-Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux, comes out May 15th.

-Luigi's Mansion Remake, coming out later this year (if remember right)

-Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey (coming next year)

-Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2, which hasn't been confirmed for a western release but Atlus never skips an Etrian release even if it takes awhile, such was the case for Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth.

-An unnamed Etrian Odyssey game planned to be a "festival," styled game and the last planned game for the system (but not the end of the franchise) with an unknown release date in any territory.

-Persona Q 2, also in the same boat as the EO game above where hardly any info is known at this moment.

There are probably some others I'm forgetting, but those are at least RPGs (and one non-RPG) game still coming to the system.

So basically Altus and Nintendo are the only people supporting the 3DS.

30 minutes ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

Geez sounds like I’ve been out of the loop lol.  I spent pretty much all of 2017 focusing on family issues and I pretty much fell behind on everything haha. 

I beat FF 12 HD last month which was the first game I finished since MGS5 back in 2016.  I did buy DQ 7, DQ 8, and FF 12 HD all on their release dates though (I still have to buy DQ Heroes 2 and Builders though).  That’s why I didn’t post much here for most of the last year. 

I gave my stepson my New 3DS XL last year in the midst of it all to replace his that was stolen by his mom so I haven’t been able to play DQ 7 or 8 (I kept the 3DS DQ and Zelda games though; I gave everything else to my stepson who’s loving with his aunt now).  I think I’m going to look into buying a New 2DS XL sometime this year though.  I’d like to upgrade to a PS4 Pro first though but I don’t know if I’m going to do that or not. 

Not really sure what all this has to do with the topic at hand though lol.  Just felt like rambling I suppose. :P

It's all good. Rambles happen every now and then here. Family stuff is very important, but think of it this way: now you'll have a lot of 3DS games, both past and future ones, to look forward to playing one you get a 2DS.

If you enjoyed Radiant Historia, you should consider looking into all the stuff Atlus has on 3DS. Lots of good RPGs and some published only games from them (except Code of Princess, avoid that one like the plague) to help scratch the RPG itch.

Oh, and the two Bravely games, Bravely Default and Bravely Second. Nintendo helped publish those two in the west since Square Enix didn't really try (and were then suddenly surprised people actually WANTED turn based RPGs!) and are great games for the 3DS.

Whatever happens, here's hoping we'll see you around here more, Bob. :thumbsup:

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Bravery Default was an awesome game.  I still don’t understand why SE was shocked by its success when it was essentially a Final Fantasy spin-off.  You can call it what you want but it was an old-school, SNES-era FF game. 

Atlus publishes good stuff.  Radiant Historia was one of my biggest surprises on the original DS. 

I’m a little upset that it looks like the DQ 6 style and the DQ 9 style versions of DQ 11 might end up remaining exclusive to Japan but if I could only pick a single version to bring over I would have picked the PS4 version.  So it’s not the end of the world.  I am curious if the series has a future on the 3DS (even in Japan) or if Switch and PS4 are going to be the main DQ machines going forward. 

[Edit] Thanks also lol.  Nice to be back.  I got a decent backlog between PS4 and 3DS that I want to work through (FF 15, World of FF, DQ 7 and 8 3DS, DQ Heroes 2 and Builders, I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, and Secret of Mana remake to name a few hahaha)...  I wonder how much I can get done before September. :P

I also gotta buy Zelda on the Switch.   I bought Mario Odyssey to play with my older daughter and we both adored it.  I’m over 700 Moons currently. ;)

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty
Add to post

35 minutes ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

Bravery Default was an awesome game.  I still don’t understand why SE was shocked by its success when it was essentially a Final Fantasy spin-off.  You can call it what you want but it was an old-school, SNES-era FF game. 

Atlus publishes good stuff.  Radiant Historia was one of my biggest surprises on the original DS. 

I’m a little upset that it looks like the DQ 6 style and the DQ 9 style versions of DQ 11 might end up remaining exclusive to Japan but if I could only pick a single version to bring over I would have picked the PS4 version.  So it’s not the end of the world.  I am curious if the series has a future on the 3DS (even in Japan) or if Switch and PS4 are going to be the main DQ machines going forward. 

[Edit] Thanks also lol.  Nice to be back.  I got a decent backlog between PS4 and 3DS that I want to work through (FF 15, World of FF, DQ 7 and 8 3DS, DQ Heroes 2 and Builders, I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, and Secret of Mana remake to name a few hahaha)...  I wonder how much I can get done before September. :P

I also gotta buy Zelda on the Switch.   I bought Mario Odyssey to play with my older daughter and we both adored it.  I’m over 700 Moons currently. ;)

No kidding. Whenever people ask, “Why doesn’t Square make any turn based Final Fantasy anymore,” I just tell them, “Oh they did, they are just called Bravely Default and Bravely Second.” :laugh:

I’m totally part of the Atlus Faithful. Most stuff they release, it’s very likely I’ll buy it! Haven’t been disappointed with an Atlus RPG yet, though some of the games they publish only (like stuff from FuRyu) are just okay. I’m a real big fan of the Etrian Odyssey series, and place it up there with Dragon Quest for my favorite RPG series.

At some point I’ll get a Switch. I do have DQ Builders for it already to support the series. Though there are a few games I’d love to get like Mario Odyssey, Kirby Star Allies, Dark Souls Remastered, and Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the big game I’m waiting for right now is (surprise surprise) Shin Megami Tensei V. I’m REALLY looking forward to what they have in store for that one!

I’ve got plenty on Vita and PS4 to keep me busy, and a few 3DS games I need to finish and am waiting on. It’s great to hear though that Mario Odyssey has so many Moons to collect. I’ve been dying to play that game!

Mario Odyssey is the best game I played in years.  It’s one example of a perfect video GAME, with emphasis on the “game” part.  It doesn’t try to be an interactive movie or anything.  It’s just pure, game play bliss.  My daughter and I both absolutely adore the game. It’s just a wonderful experience and a complete joy to play through. 

As for the Moon pieces, there’s 880 unique ones to collect and in the post-game you can buy as many as you want from stores (presumingly so OCD guys can get a save file with 999 on their Odyssey flag lol).  But you can’t get 200 unique ones and buy 680 from the store to get the bonus rewards.  You have to actually earn them.  

Altus just doesn't publish great stuff, they develop too.

Radiant Historia, Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, Etrian Odyssey are all developed by Atlus.