Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Nintendo Direct (8 March 2018) Poll

Do you think there will be any mention of the Nintendo 3DS and/or Nintendo Switch version of Dragon Quest XI in tomorrow's Nintendo Direct?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That one will be neat, but I'm more interested in Bowser's Inside Story. Watching what little gameplay there is, the updated look of the game looks great. As I said with Superstar Saga's remake, I really missed the completly 2D look of the series for the newest titles. So while the latest games are remakes I am 100% totally fine with that since they're going back to the all 2D style (save for specific parts of the remakes with 3D models like Bowser's Castle in SS or the Giant Bowser battle). I prefer it to the sprites on a 3D environment we've had in Dream Team and Paper Jam.

I'm not so excited for the Bowser Jr.'s Journey part (unless they really improve the Bowser's Minions gameplay), but I'll still try it out.

More Mario & Luigi goodness makes me a happy Yangus.

I don't understand all the salt towards the Switch. People didn't get a Wii U because there weren't any third party games for it and there weren't any third-party games for it because a lot of devs looked at that controller and decided not to bother. Ports of games to the Wii often were altered due to the motion controls and sometimes didn't fare as well as their Xbox/PS3 counterparts so a lot of devs sought to avoid a similar outcome with the Wii U. Also, the name of the console confused a lot of people when it first came out, with many thinking it was simply an add-on to the Wii, not realizing it was a new console.

As someone who didn't own a Wii U because he was broke during it's heyday, I'm very grateful to get all those great Wii U games on Switch since I actually own that console. Plus, it doesn't matter if it's a Wii U game or not, any port to the Switch is going to be a valued port simply for the portability factor. I've put over 300 hours into the PC version of Stardew Valley, but I picked it up on Switch anyway so I could play it on my lunch break.

Don't get me wrong, I realize the Wii U is an underrated console, but in my opinion there is never a reason not to port a game to Switch. Even first person shooter games which I find to be a particularly I'll fit for console is decent on the Switch if they include gyro aiming.

4 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

I don't understand all the salt towards the Switch. People didn't get a Wii U because there weren't any third party games for it and there weren't any third-party games for it because a lot of devs looked at that controller and decided not to bother. Ports of games to the Wii often were altered due to the motion controls and sometimes didn't fare as well as their Xbox/PS3 counterparts so a lot of devs sought to avoid a similar outcome with the Wii U. Also, the name of the console confused a lot of people when it first came out, with many thinking it was simply an add-on to the Wii, not realizing it was a new console.

As someone who didn't own a Wii U because he was broke during it's heyday, I'm very grateful to get all those great Wii U games on Switch since I actually own that console. Plus, it doesn't matter if it's a Wii U game or not, any port to the Switch is going to be a valued port simply for the portability factor. I've put over 300 hours into the PC version of Stardew Valley, but I picked it up on Switch anyway so I could play it on my lunch break.

Don't get me wrong, I realize the Wii U is an underrated console, but in my opinion there is never a reason not to port a game to Switch. Even first person shooter games which I find to be a particularly I'll fit for console is decent on the Switch if they include gyro aiming.

I personally am not salty about the Switch. In fact, whenever these ports are announced the first thing I do is got to the Wii U subreddit to read all the salty posts because it’s funny.

A lot of devs didn’t make games for it because it sold poorly, and it sold poorly because devs didn’t make games for it. It was a vicious cycle that the Switch would have also fallen in if not for the positive reception to marketing. Even only having five or so launch games, one of which was also a Wii U game, couldn’t bring it down. 3rd-party devs were waiting for its success, which it achieved without their support, and now they’re squirting out slapdash ports faster then you can say, “the Wii U has no games.”

People who thought it was a Wii add-on were incredibly ignorant for thinking that at the time. Anyone who did a little research would know it was a brand new console.

Those ports for the Wii did badly because they were the worst versions of the game on PS3 or XBox 360 so people avoided them. They were cynical cash-grabs hoping they could catch a few sales through the Wii’s wide net.

The money factor doesn’t necessarily stick, because you can go into a GameStop and get a used Wii U for like $150-200 and buy the relevant games for like $400 during a buy-2-get-1 free on pre-owned sale. Yes, it’s used and GameStop is the literal worst, but there are options available.

It just annoys me that people didn’t give the Wii U a chance because it had no games but now they’re celebrating all its great games...on the Switch. It didn’t get a chance from anyone.

Yeah, I think everything I'd want on the Vita is done being created. Just waiting for sales and such. The only new thing I'm expecting is Stardew Valley, which is just the billionth port rather than a new game.

That said, coming in at the end of its life and maybe spending $250 when all is said and done for it, memory, grip, and 15ish games... Great deal.

55 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Yeah, I think everything I'd want on the Vita is done being created. Just waiting for sales and such. The only new thing I'm expecting is Stardew Valley, which is just the billionth port rather than a new game.

That said, coming in at the end of its life and maybe spending $250 when all is said and done for it, memory, grip, and 15ish games... Great deal.

Same. I’m snapping up a bunch of games while I can because I like physical copies and once they’re gonna from Amazon or wherever they’re not going back in stock. My current strategy is to get everything now.

The Wii U is amazing, and I love mine. It has a ton of great games. I can only imagine the people who say it "has no games" probably don't have one, and want to justify that descision.

Of course, it gets more justifiable when those games are all coming out for the Switch one by one. However, conversely, it also gives me absolutely no enticement to invest in a Switch, please give me some new games damn you. And no, Crash Bandicoot 1-3 or Dark Souls isn't a new game...

Edited by Sumez

18 minutes ago, Sumez said:

The Wii U is amazing, and I love mine. It has a ton of great games. I can only imagine the people who say it "has no games" probably don't have one, and want to justify that descision.

Of course, it gets more justifiable when those games are all coming out for the Switch one by one. However, conversely, it also gives me absolutely no enticement to invest in a Switch, please give me some new games damn you. And no, Crash Bandicoot 1-3 or Dark Souls isn't a new game...

I mean, the “there are no games” sentiment isn’t entirely wrong. More then half the Wii U library is probably Nintendo first-party, but that’s okay because those games are good. You could probably buy the same average of games for the system that you normally buy for any other system and end up with literally every game worth playing that’s on it. Meanwhile, I’m still trying to parse through the PS4’s giant catalog of games because there’s so much of it. Everyone knows what the good Wii U games are.

True, one thing the Wii U severely lacks is those hidden gems and curiosities.

EDIT: Meant the Wii U lol

Edited by Sumez

There are some. They’re getting a bunch of indie games that were once only on Vita and PS4 because, well, Switch is essentially PS4 that can function as a high-end Vita. For example, in my Vita hidden gem research, I’ve seen Superbeat Xonic, Fallen Legion, Deemo, and a couple others all had Switch ports coming out or just recently. Xonic is even sold in stores.

The Wii and PS2 though...those are a joy. They’re very cheap to collect for and 90% of their libraries are Nickelodeon/Disney channel shovelware garbage, 15% are games everyone knows about (your Super Mario Galaxy’s, your Shadow of the Colossus’s), and 5% are the obscure hidden gems that nobody knew about until a YouTuber featured in a best-of video.

Sorry, I mean the Wii U in my post, of course >_> It really has no "hidden gems".

On 11/3/2018 at 12:18 AM, eal said:

and 5% are the obscure hidden gems that nobody knew about until a YouTuber featured in a best-of video.

Such as? Not asking because I'm doubting, but because I'm genuinely curious. Zack and Wiki is the only I can think of, if you can even consider that "hidden". Maybe Dokapon Kingdom?

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Sorry, I mean the Wii U in my post, of course >_> It really has no "hidden gems".

Such as? Not asking because I'm doubting, but because I'm genuinely curious. Zack and Wiki is the only I can think of, if you can even consider that "hidden". Maybe Dokapon Kingdom?

I was a kid when the Wii was out so I didn’t really go through the effort of digging for good games besides knowing about the established ones. Eventually I plan on revisiting it and doing a deep dive into that cesspool. If you watch any “hidden gems” video on YouTube they’ll tell you about dozens of games nobody’s heard about. You’ll see Dragon Quest Swords on a lot of them too, but that’s not hidden to us!

I especially wanna try some of those weird Wii horror games like The Grudge. There’s also this one game I keep forgetting that looks interesting though probably bad. Aside from that, I’d definitely want to try Fragile Dreams: Farwell Ruins of the Moon, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love, Pandora’s Tower, Madworld, and a handful of others.

I was a kid when the Wii was out so I didn’t really go through the effort of digging for good games besides knowing about the established ones. Eventually I plan on revisiting it and doing a deep dive into that cesspool. If you watch any “hidden gems” video on YouTube they’ll tell you about dozens of games nobody’s heard about. You’ll see Dragon Quest Swords on a lot of them too, but that’s not hidden to us!
I especially wanna try some of those weird Wii horror games like The Grudge. There’s also this one game I keep forgetting that looks interesting though probably bad. Aside from that, I’d definitely want to try Fragile Dreams: Farwell Ruins of the Moon, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love, Pandora’s Tower, Madworld, and a handful of others.
Well, now I feel old.

Is Swords any good? I've never even looked at it.

16 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Well, now I feel old.

Swords is decent. It had Drackolyte and Mermaniac for the modern and returning DQ audience before the names were revealed in the mobile remakes for I and III, and had voice acting before the Heroes games and other games brought it back to the forefront.

51 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Well, now I feel old.

Pretty good. Don’t expect your movements to be perfectly matched with what’s on screen. Sadly, it is not like moving a real sword. It is unlike all other DQ games so there’s a chance standard fans might not like it.

18 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Well, now I feel old.

Don't. The Wii came out like last week.

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Don't. The Wii came out like last week.

If he wanted to feel older, he should know retro collectors are already getting in on the Wii.

From what I’ve seen, the GameCube looks to be the hot thing right now. Adults that grew up with it have the money to spend on collecting it, and the prices for older systems have killed interest in collecting them, especially if you’ve just started out. The GameCube is slowly rising in price at the moment.

However, the Wii has hit a weird lull. They’re not considered retro just yet, but once it is, the prices for those games will skyrocket. But for right now, you can still find their shovelware in GameStops nationwide for incredibly low prices, and you can even buy sealed games for practically nothing. You can still see bad new Wii games at a local Walmart. Basically, prices are very low at the moment so retro collectors are buying Wii games while everyone else is distracted by the GameCube.

At least, this is my hypothesis.

If he wanted to feel older, he should know retro collectors are already getting in on the Wii.
From what I’ve seen, the GameCube looks to be the hot thing right now. Adults that grew up with it have the money to spend on collecting it, and the prices for older systems have killed interest in collecting them, especially if you’ve just started out. The GameCube is slowly rising in price at the moment.
However, the Wii has hit a weird lull. They’re not considered retro just yet, but once it is, the prices for those games will skyrocket. But for right now, you can still find their shovelware in GameStops nationwide for incredibly low prices, and you can even buy sealed games for practically nothing. You can still see bad new Wii games at a local Walmart. Basically, prices are very low at the moment so retro collectors are buying Wii games while everyone else is distracted by the GameCube.
At least, this is my hypothesis.
I can still remember when I first my GameCube, I was playing Wind Waker and it was about ten minutes after the series finale to Friends had just finished.

But yeah, Wii is still too young to be a retro console, Jesus guys, slow down.

17 hours ago, eal said:

From what I’ve seen, the GameCube looks to be the hot thing right now. Adults that grew up with it have the money to spend on collecting it

Now you're making me feel old. I'd say we are talking really young adults, here.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Now you're making me feel old. I'd say we are talking really young adults, here.

I bought mine at the very end of its lifetime. $100 for a GameCube with Pokemon XD. Brand new. I’m 23. The thing came out over 16 years ago. If you were 10 and you got it that Christmas you’re 26, almost 27, by now.

I bought mine at the very end of its lifetime. $100 for a GameCube with Pokemon XD. Brand new. I’m 23. The thing came out over 16 years ago. If you were 10 and you got it that Christmas you’re 26, almost 27, by now.
Anyone under 26 is a young adult, to me.

20 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
27 minutes ago, eal said:

Anyone under 26 is a young adult, to me.

That’s assuming they were 10. If they were 13-14 they would be 30 now. If they were 8, they would still be 24.

That’s assuming they were 10. If they were 13-14 they would be 30 now. If they were 8, they would still be 24.
In all seriousness, the GameCube is barely retro, in my opinion. Wind Waker for GC still plays like a modern game. I was about 14 or so when the GC came out, but it still feels like a recent thing. Not as recent as the Wii, of course.

13 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
44 minutes ago, eal said:

In all seriousness, the GameCube is barely retro, in my opinion. Wind Waker for GC still plays like a modern game. I was about 14 or so when the GC came out, but it still feels like a recent thing. Not as recent as the Wii, of course.

It’s in a weird area. Everyone considers the PS/N64 era retro by this point, so the PS2/GameCube/Wii era is between modern and retro. Games are starting to climb in price so people are getting into it now instead of later. The NES collector’s market is impenetrable right now.

39 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

In all seriousness, the GameCube is barely retro, in my opinion.

It really weirds me out when people talk about stuff like Pokemon, PS1 or pretty much anything 3D as "retro". I literally still have PS1 games lying around that I bought new and sealed that I have yet to get around to unwrap and start playing >_> That said though, I had no interest in that console when it came out, and didn't get one until after the PS2 hit the market.

Edited by Sumez

6 minutes ago, Sumez said:

It really weirds me out when people talk about stuff like Pokemon, PS1 or pretty much anything 3D as "retro". I literally still have PS1 games lying around that I bought new and sealed that I have yet to get around to unwrap and start playing >_> That said though, I had no interest in that console when it came out, and didn't get one until after the PS2 hit the market.

I never have any interest in any of them until they’re at the end of their lifespan. Thankfully, I wasn’t that way with the Vita. I got it about a year before they totally disappeared from store shelves. People have to import them if they want new. I also wasn’t that way with the PS4, but that was because so much was on it and I basically went through every relevant PS3 game I wanted by the time I got one.