Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Some new details about Dragon Quest Builders 2

Here's some new information about the upcoming Dragon Quest Builders 2. Sounds like it's shaping up to be a good sequel. Not sure which console I'll buy it for, but either way I'm looking forward to it.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 producer Noriyoshi Fujimoto and assistant producer Takuma Shiraishi were featured in this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine, where they shared the latest on its development.

Below are highlights from the interview:

-The reason it was decided to do Dragon Quest Builders 2 was because the first game was a hit. There was a lot of requests for it, as well as some elements they weren’t able to do before.

-Some of the requests include wanting to have water flow from higher elevations as well as crafting things from higher elevations. There also a lot of requests asking for up to four player multiplayer.

-Currently, the height of the game is about three times that of the first Dragon Quest Builders.

-If they were going to do a sequel, Square Enix figured it would be best to push the limits for hardware. For this reason, it was decided that Dragon Quest Builders 2 will be on PS4 and Nintendo Switch.

-The bonuses you get from having carry-over data from of Dragon Quest Builders on PS4/PS3/PS Vita to Dragon Quest Builders 2 on PS4 will be the same for having carry-over data from the previous game on Switch.

-The producers couldn’t share much about multiplayer, but they’re thinking of a way to not just say “there will be multiplayer.” You can expect the game to offer some kind of play area for multiplayer.

-The current development stage is “continuous trial & error” and “it doesn’t feel like there’s much space left.”

-As for the story, they couldn’t share more other than a “young traveling companion named Malroth (Dragon Quest II’s final boss)” will make an appearance. Fans might associate Malroth with Dragon Quest II, but they say that you won’t need to know Dragon Quest II’s story to enjoy it.

-The producers can’t say if there are any connections to the first Dragon Quest Builders. However, they do say that you can jump right into Dragon Quest Builders 2 without having played the first one.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

EEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

There were a few new screenshots released not too long ago. I'm gonna see if I can dig those up.

Does Builders get better? It's definitely not bad, but Chapter 1, while a promising start, barely held my attention and Chapter 2 is very quickly losing my interest. I really want to like this game, but it's starting to feel a little monotonous.

18 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Does Builders get better? It's definitely not bad, but Chapter 1, while a promising start, barely held my attention and Chapter 2 is very quickly losing my interest. I really want to like this game, but it's starting to feel a little monotonous.

There's a topic for this question.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37468-does-it-get-better/

For a quick answer, it's fun to play in spurts. That's what I've done on PS4. Whenever I play the Switch version I'll probably be a lot more invested since I'll have the game on the go.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

The story part intrigued me. I want to see loads of references to Dragon Quest 2, even just more tracks from the soundtrack.

I'm hoping for a more captivating story. DQB barely held my interest albeit I am still in chapter 1

I figured most people around here played the DQ games because of the gameplay, not the story. When they have good characters/narratives, that's just a bonus for me.

• Like 1

A Minecraft-esque game monotonous? No...

I am so incredibly excited for the multi-level water with actual waterfalls!!  That was what I missed most from DQB1. It will be difficult to control, which is why I think it was missing from the original game...like what if there's no pool at the bottom of the waterfall, does it spread out everywhere?  Can it form rivers?  pools? Maybe it just disappears if it can't find a suitable place to fill.  The buildable trees from the demo video look awesome, too.  I would love to try to recreate some of my favorite places from DQ4, and I think DQB2 will make it doable!

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh!  I'm so excited!

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/30/dragon-quest-builders-2-shares-first-look-male-female-protagonists-setting/

"Square Enix shared new details on Dragon Quest Builders 2 in this week’s issue of Jump magazine with a first look at the male and female protagonists of the block-builder RPG sequel. [Thanks, @Aterufa-Iomo.]

The full title of the game has been revealed as Dragon Quest Builders 2: God of Destruction Malroth and the Empty Island. Malroth is the final boss of Dragon Quest II, and if it’s anything like Dragon Quest Builders that told a “what if” story based on the very first Dragon Quest, we can expect there to be something similar.

The male and female protagonists who were designed by Akira Toriyama will also have the power to build as their ancestors did, like the previous protagonist. It’ll take place on the vast Empty Island where they’ll find themselves drifted onto after a certain event. This island doesn’t have any houses or towns and is literally an empty island, but you’ll have to be the one to build everything using resources from the island and items that drift ashore."

Edited by Psi Rockin Beta
  • Like 1

Woot! I can't wait for this game to come out! Granted we probably won't see it until next fall at the earliest, but I am still excited!

On 4/2/2018 at 8:51 AM, The Mystical One said:

Malroth Malroth Malroth Malroth Malroooooooooth!

Damn right!  'bout time some love was shown for DQ2's characters after so long.

On 3/30/2018 at 3:40 PM, cobolisdead said:

Woot! I can't wait for this game to come out! Granted we probably won't see it until next fall at the earliest, but I am still excited!

I think this is one of those games they want to limit their budget on, and it probably has a pretty decisive deadline. Considering how much it's being marketed right now, I bet it's going to be out in Japan this year. No telling how long it takes to localize though. The last one was.. 9 months?

22 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I think this is one of those games they want to limit their budget on, and it probably has a pretty decisive deadline. Considering how much it's being marketed right now, I bet it's going to be out in Japan this year. No telling how long it takes to localize though. The last one was.. 9 months?

Yeah, that is why I am betting it will come out next September. That will give me just enough time to play the cover art off of DQ11 to jump into this.

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, if SE are interested in keeping the DQ brand strong, providing DQXI becomes a success, they'd probably do well to spread out the releases, to avoid long droughts like we had in the wake of DQ8. That alone might be a reason to delay the localization...