A New Frontier! A Dragon Quest in Space?!

Hey everyone! So throughout the many discussion regarding the many aspects of the series(such as characters, story, etc.), but there has been occasional talks about the future settings and direction the series can possibly take; one of this being a dragon quest game that takes place in a sci-fi setting , or in simple terms: Dragon Quest in space.

So my questions are: (1) If the developers wanted to go towards that direction, how can they implement these changes while still making it feel like a Dragon Quest game? 

And: (2) What would you  like to see in a sci-fi centered Dragon Quest game?

Yeah, it's a hard no from me.

About the only part of the DQ series I could see being in space is the Monsters: Joker games due to the mix of technology and how it's a more experimental side series, but even then that would be kind of weird.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

The only thing I could accept as "DQ in space," are astronauts playing DQ...in space.

It just doesn't jive.  Final Fantasy, as a series, is open ended, despite the number of fans who feel the "Final" aspect of the name should be a name only and not have any defining aspects for gameplay...though people did complain over the steampunk elements of FF6 until they played the game, the nature of Final Fantasy allows for technology or fantasy, so long as it contains fantasy elements.

Dragon Quest is such a fixed fantasy setting, and borrows so heavily on nostalgia and maintaining a consistency of setting, themes, gameplay, music and art design, that it would kill the series to even associate science fiction with the mainline chapters, save perhaps as an element within the larger world, such as ancient ruins of a bygone era, a random town that happens to have some strange technological advancement, or maybe a spaceship crash, or something that indicates it's a one-off.  Even then I don't think the Japanese audience would be too happy about such an addition.  Plus, given most RPG's have technological elements, I enjoy having a game that is purely fantasy with no science fiction.  This factor makes Dragon Quest almost exclusively unique as I cannot think of any other series that maintains this absolute consistency of theme and setting.

I don't think Dragon Quest is strictly fantasy to the point where this wouldn't work. I mean, I have no interest in it, but I don't think it would be as far out of scope as people make it sound.

The series is completely full of anachronisms as it is, mostly via its non-serious nature. It even has recurring robotic enemies, and the games tend to be fond of referencing modern cultural aspects.

Giving an entire game a Star Wars-like skin won't work though, but I could see it being an aspect added to the familiar setting, not unlike how it was used in the old Ultima and Might & Magic games (except maybe to a less outrageous extend :P)

Edited by Sumez

First of all, NO. Second,if they do end doing this, the only good thing to expect is "all just a dream" ending.

Ramia is an inter-dimensional space pigeon confirmed. 

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, eal said:
The big twist? It’s been set in space all along.

Technically planets are in space. Everything's always been in space.

Some things occupy more space then others.

12 hours ago, Sumez said:

I don't think Dragon Quest is strictly fantasy to the point where this wouldn't work. I mean, I have no interest in it, but I don't think it would be as far out of scope as people make it sound.

The series is completely full of anachronisms as it is, mostly via its non-serious nature. It even has recurring robotic enemies, and the games tend to be fond of referencing modern cultural aspects.

Giving an entire game a Star Wars-like skin won't work though, but I could see it being an aspect added to the familiar setting, not unlike how it was used in the old Ultima and Might & Magic games (except maybe to a less outrageous extend :P)

No, not really.  It's really only in the localizations that we see these.  Original Japanese direct translations have pretty much nothing, except Japanese colloquialisms, that are cultural, but not culture as in modern entertainment, rather concurrent cultural inside jokes that often date back hundreds of years.  Even then it's rare.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind it. I just think at this point that the fantasy setting is so embedded to the series that many would not enjoy it.

It would be better to have space or a moon as a single setting in a high fantasy setting rather then a sci-fi setting. Something like the Red Moon in Final Fantasy IV.

You guys have no imagination...

The year is ambiguous. High technology reigns. Killing Machines augment armies, and Slimeborgs and Healborgs are your white-frocked nurses.

However, the world has been rocked by cataclysm. The Demon Lord, INSERTNAMEHERE, killed the Legendary Hero WHOEVERHEISNOW.

You, the heroes' son, are leading an ark to a new world.

Dragon Quest Space Builders! 

17 minutes ago, RyuKisargi said:

Dragon Quest Space Builders

This should only exist if there's a Pigs in Space crossover.

Also Giant Space Pigeon from nowhere Ramia.

Dragon Quest Heroes Building in Space

• 1 month later...

I... might actually be okay with this.  Just because a story takes place in Space, it doesn't mean that it has to be science fiction.

Case in point:  Dungeons and Dragons has a campaign setting called Spelljammer.   It is an interplanatary adventure setting.  However l, it's still very much a fantasy setting.   Space ships aren't powered by technology, but by magic.

I'd be interested to see what they would do.

It could be fun, so heck yeah (oh, hi by the way! I'm a new one here c: ) 

Isn't Hoshidora allowing players to view the various worlds of DQ's universe from space? 

Hoshidora DQ

even more awesome Hoshidora trailer thingy

Darn, any idea on how to insert a youtube video in a comment? 

Edited by Xiggy
new elements

That is interesting. As for the youtube video, if you just paste the link it should embed the video automagically

Thanks! I'll be sure to try next time I have a video to include. ;-) 

Tho' I must say, while Hoshidora allow the party to travel from worlds to worlds (or stars), the setting isn't really futuristic looking, unlike the DQMJ serie. 

By the way, where would the Monster Joker serie takes place in the DQ Timeline? Is it a separated universe? Some architectural structures are looking a lot like those we can see in the Emblem of Roto manga, on the Mu Empire (set 12k years before the time of Roto). 

I haven't had the bravery to scroll the 28 pages, is there a topic designated specifically for the Timeline/chronology theories? C:

1 hour ago, Xiggy said:

I haven't had the bravery to scroll the 28 pages, is there a topic designated specifically for the Timeline/chronology theories? C:

There's a general "Theories and headcanons" thread, people have discussed that stuff in there)

Sword and Planet DQ could totally work in the right hands. DQ already has technological mish-mash and interdimensional creatures, so exploring the farther reaches of a single cosmos is something we've kinda skipped. Dragon Quest X goes so far as to have adventures on the moon, so technically, we're already there.

Now, to make it sword and planet we'd have to have a "normal earth" as a touchstone (else it'd just be another unique DQ world), and you'd have to have a reason to consistently leaving that planet.

• 2 weeks later...