Sign in to follow this  
Restlessknight14

A change in mindset? A character review!

Hey everyone! It has been a while, but i finally thought of a topic woth discussion.

So my questions are: Are they any characters that you initially dislike but come to warm up to as time went by? And why so?

(And) Is there a character than you previously liked but,after a long period of consideration, started to dislike or like less than you did before?

I disliked Maribel when I first saw here. I thought she was kind of an annoying tsundere character. Then I started to hate her just a little itty bitty bit once I actually got my hands on the game.

Haseo from .hack GU. The dude pissed me off for all of Episode 1 and most of Episode 2. He was your stereotypical edgy teen that you find trash talking and using racial slurs in Xbox Live. But slowly he finally started learning #$*! doesn't always go his way and he has to appreciate what he has.

And as for a character I first liked and now hate...I can't think of one.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Alena & Cristo.  Moved from loved, to enjoyed, to meh.

Really enjoyed these two in DW4 on the NES.  As time (and accents) went on, I didn't really like them as much in DQ4 for the DS/mobile.  Then by the time DQH came about, I'm not really a fan.  First, I don't like controlling her in that type of game without a long-range weapon and I don't like her attitude during cutscenes.  I really don't like how much of a wimp & how #$*!-whipped Cristo is either.  I prefer to think of them in my head as noble & awesome like I did back in the NES days before party chat and accents and then full speech.  She was a tough martial artist & he was an awesome party member good with weapons and magic.

Torneko.

Went from a character I was ho-hum about in my first playthrough of DQ4 to becoming an absolute favorite on the following playthrough. I had no idea how great he could be for stealing rare stuff from later enemies (and bosses), and really the guy is just so loveable. I can't wait to use him in Heroes II and probably never remove him from the party since I don't have Yangus for the main game.

Ashlynn would be another one. Went from being curious about her when I first played DQ6 via the DS version since I didn't know anything about the cast (save for Milly and Terry thanks to Dragon Warrior Monsters) to a straight "NOPE," when it comes to using her in the game unless I absolutely have to. She is far too flimsy of a character in regards to health and defense for my liking, and the worst thing is you can NEVER dump her off at Patty's Place so you can have another Slime party member take her place. You're stuck with her other than when Nevan takes over to help fight Murdaw/Muduo.

All she's used for when I play DQ6 anymore is to work through the classes that increase Style the most for the style contest.

I was always blase about Nera from DQ5, then Deborah comes along and makes me like Nera that much more.

Marcello. I hated him the first time when he was introduced. Towards the end of the game I started to appreciate him as a character. I still hated him, but he developed as a character that I loved to hate.

• Upvote 1

As for me...

1) Back when i firsted played DQ8, i used to like Jessica (or at least didn't mind her) mainly because she made a good impression with her joining time despite not really getting proper development. Nowadays, i am kind of disappointed, if not a bit uncomfortable, mainly due to missed opportunities to develop her character and because of the uncomfortable implications concerning her relationship with her brother. 

2) I remember the days that i used to dislike Deborah for being mean, rude, and treating the hero like a servant (which came out as worse considering the hero's history). Nowadays, i realized that Deborah's initial behavior was purposely written that way (since she was the joke character). I warmed up to her character and actually like her now. Deborah is pretty hilarious and goes through some pretty great character development( something that i like about both the sisters). Plus using hela's hammer is great in more ways than one :laugh:

In Heroes I originally mained Bianca because I vastly enjoyed cheesing all the enemies from a distance (which also took a lot of the hassle out of grinding). I was generally avoiding Nera out of simply not caring for her (and leftover annoyance at the silly choice of bride mechanic from DQV, which I still hate), but I started using her much more when I realized the mechanics turned her into a self-sustaining black hole of magic and death.

Rain of Pain got me through both games, yes.

On 2/18/2018 at 7:47 PM, Plattym3 said:

Alena & Cristo.  Moved from loved, to enjoyed, to meh.

I think I've expressed issues with their Heroes selves, too. Alena's self-absorbed attitude just grates. I loved watching Luceus play wingman for Kiryl, though.

On 6/26/2018 at 3:46 PM, Plattym3 said:

Rain of Pain got me through both games, yes.

I felt like a general, sending in stooges soldiers to distract the hordes while I did the heavy lifting.