Sign in to follow this  
Fates

DQ3 turns 30

2/10, DQ3 turns 30.

• Upvote 1

I've played through DQ3 3 times, once on the GBC and twice on the Super Nintendo. Each playthrough I've used different parties, and each playthrough has felt like a new experience since each one was years apart, my most recent being last year.

I'd say DQ3 is my 4th favorite DQ game, and I consider it to have the best gameplay overall in the series, as well as having a good balance of linear and free roam gameplay, the latter coming into play once you get the ship.

Musically it isn't my favorite of the NES/Famicom games, but that's not to discredit the music AT ALL. "Prologue," added to later versions is one of my favorite DQ songs, and "Adventure," is a fantastic overworld theme. And of course, "Heavenly Flight," is a landmark piece for the entire franchise.

DQ3's music is also the most reused between DQ's 8 and 9.  Sadly I wish DQ2's were, as I love the overworld and ship themes more-so than DQ3 (though 4's is a better overall ship theme).  Plus, the standard battle theme is pretty awesome.  It's one reason I actually like replaying 2; the music.

DQ3 is easily my most replayed game.  I've said it thrice now, but I've replayed this game in full on the NES over 300x, probably 20x on the GBC, once on my Droid (still in progress for a perfect party, and prior to taking on Xenlong), and I cannot recall my SNES replays, but at least 3x full playthroughs.  I really love this game....and I do recall getting into arguments with people about my uber playthrough stats, and their combing the mechanics guide to figure out if what I stated is even possible...and it is with a little seeding (just the ones you find normally), yet still misreading it to tell me I'm wrong and it's impossible to have 400 HP and 200 Strength at level 40.  I loved that playthrough :). No save scumming of any kind, but I sadly no longer have access to it.

It's also one of the most fun for challenge runs.  Like a solo Hero, a solo Jester (yes...this is actually doable), a solo Thief (remakes), solo Soldier (shockingly difficult), solo Mage...or an all Jester party, or an all Merchant party, all Fighters, a random selection of odd ball choices etc.  Things like that.

Little tidbits of this game really pack in some great fun.  Kandar and the Crown.  Kandar the kidnapper.  The evil Orochi.  The evil "King" of San Manao.  The derelict king of Romaly who prefers to gamble.  The first second world that functions as an underworld.  The first truly difficult boss battle where you NEED a special item to reduce his power substantially so as to allow defeating him.

The pyramid and that damn Golden Claw, which thankfully can function as a real weapon in the remakes, rather than a constant draw of enemies forces so thick no amount of priestly healing will allow finishing any dungeon in the original.  Though it does mean a lot of levels...built up really fast.

You know, just for today, I might put down FF12 and Fantasy Life, and play through all four variants of DQ3...

I may just start with the NES, then hit up the SNES, then the Mobile, and finally the GBC.  I like this plan.

Whose up for at least one run with me of DQ3?

I've already got Monster Hunter World and Shadow of the Colossus remake to play, and I've barely scratched the surface of either. Not to mention King of Fighters XIV, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga remake.

Though I'm sure in 3 or 4 years I'll be replaying DQ3 again. Seems to be the usual amount of time to pass.

And I prefer DQ2's soundtrack A LOT as well. I love the symphonic suite.

• Like 1

DQ3 was my first in the series, and I loved everything but the Ice Dungeon.

I know I'm late to this birthday party, but seeing as this is the GREATEST DQ game ever made still to this day.....

happy belated bday DQIII :)

On 10/2/2018 at 11:45 AM, RyuKisargi said:

DQ3 was my first in the series, and I loved everything but the Ice Dungeon.

Which was the ice dungeon?

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Which was the ice dungeon?

I can’t speak for Matt/Ryu, but if I had to guess, I bet he’s talking about the new dungeon they added in the GBC version. That place required having monster medals to proceed, and all the random encounters were against boss monsters from the game.

That’s the only ice dungeon in the game I can think of.

Oh damn. Only played the NES version. :3 

33 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Oh damn. Only played the NES version. :3 

Honestly the work just to get into the depths of the dungeon isn't worth it. At the bottom is an even stronger superboss, but the effort to get this is pretty nuts.

If you play the Super Nintendo or GBC versions, there's a bonus dungeon (the first one added to the game just to be clear) where you travel to a tower in the sky and  can battle a dragon boss to have him grant one wish provided you beat him in the turn limit.

With said dragon's design, it's pretty reminiscent of Shenron the dragon from Dragon Ball Z, which is a funny reference to how Toriyama works on both series.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit