Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Rant of the moment : The "New" DS family.

So, I got a nice little green Zelda-themed 2DS for myself as a treat to bring in the new year. (Yes, I am eventually getting DQ7.)

I've spent about... $100-120 on it so far. Few games (on and off the eShop, I have Smash Bros, Zelda OoT, Zelda IbW, Triforce Heroes, Kirby Triple, and some eShop stuff like Adventure Time and a hundred or so badges.). I enjoy having it.

But...

https://goo.gl/images/zUUdmZ

I can't play SNES games on my 2DS? BLASPHEMY. Minecraft? FURTHER BLASPHEMY. That little $2 title? FURTHER BLASPHEMY.

The "New" DS lineup is a #$*!ing crock designed to make us spend more money. And I'm really glad DQ isn't falling into that trap.

• Upvote 1

Well, the 2DS is a budget version of a 3DS. This wouldn’t be an issue if you got a regular 3DS.

But in this case, supposedly the reason you can’t play SNES games on a regular 3DS is because, as Nintendo claims, there’s a technical issue in trying to emulate them on the older models.

It is of course just a marketing descision

I never understood why these companies cant design a system with older games in mind.

Is it just not possible to make a Nintendo or Sony console to play all retro AND modern titles? -_-

Supposedly it’s an issue of emulation. There’s a reason they haven’t made those ambassador program games available to the public except on Wii U.

16 minutes ago, Neofrodo said:

I never understood why these companies cant design a system with older games in mind.

Is it just not possible to make a Nintendo or Sony console to play all retro AND modern titles? -_-

Cost effectiveness.  Emulation is actually harder than you imagine, because all old games are tied to system clocks (not since the PS2 era), and their emulators must account for this by altering processing to emulate the system clock of the original system.  It's easy to do so with hardware emulation, like a mini-NES/SNES board would work, but it's bulky and very inefficient.  Especially when the chipsets aren't in production as often as they were back in the late 90's and early 00's.  So it really would cost a pretty penny to build the hardware all over again.  Especially if they downsize it even more, and make an old system on a single chip, then run all of them on a single circuit board.  Unless they could guarantee new system sales, or add-on sales, it's unlikely they'll mass produce.  Thus they play games with the NES and SNES mini's, in teasing us about circulation counts to keep sales high.  Thus the NES was vastly underproduce, driving up resale prices in ebay/amazon, while the SNES has remained in production and is still selling well.

For a system like the 3DS, it might be the 2DS has certain components that make it more difficult to emulate using the original code on the 3DS, and due to laziness, Nintendo decided not to rework the code to run properly on the 2DS.  It might be SNES retro sales are too low to bother with building an emulator for the 2DS.  Or the more likely reason is the 2DS was never intended for emulation because the sales of retro games has gone down due to economic instability, but due to the high sales leading into 2008's crash, they know full well there's a market, especially given the used game market has remained steady post-recession.  So they never added in the emulator, it can run, but they don't care enough.  While the New 2DS is considered more mainline, and a more proper version of the 3DS, only without the 3D function that no one cares for anymore (though it is pretty awesome), as it's selling better than the 2DS ever did...which petered out only a year after release, while the 3DS XL original remained steady...low, but steady over that period.

----

All that said, the Switch's OS is designed specifically with infinite backwards and even forwards compatibility in mind.  It's designed to easily integrate any emulated system, so it's very likely we'll see a continuation of the same general concept if it remains as popular as it is now.

For the case of Sony, again, it's difficult, because emulation requires often some major tweaks if certain components are underused from a system, or there's special coding in a game that utilizes hardware in specific ways that standard emulators cannot mimic, as the entire functionality of the hardware is not fully implemented in the emulation.  So even for Nintendo this can be a problem down the road, and is one reason why software emulation has been such a hassle for new systems.  There are other factors that can affect things that cause additional patches, like security features that can tweak clock times during cycle checks, for a short while, to check for jailbreaks, homebrew, etc. that can trigger issues with software emulation, but would be a non-issue for hardware, requiring further updates.  Even general OS updates require continued updates for continued compatibility for emulators.  So it's a matter of cost-effectiveness.  Given the PS4's sell through rates, and the Switch's, I fully expect we'll see full backwards compatibility for older systems if they find a real market for them.  As such until there's a definite demand for PSX (and even PS2) games in their original forms, companies are more likely to do remasters, as they're cheap and can command higher potential profits as HD upgrades mean better play value and incentive to purchase even at near full-game prices.

I guess the main point is, regardless of whether we want backwards compatibility, the biggest issue is money, profit, and whether there is a market for it, or whether companies would prefer remasters or ports.

Well, SNES titles are only playable on the New 2DS and 3DS, as well as these newer titles. I think it's marketing. Fire Emblem Warriors, Minecraft? Should be compatible with regular 3DS family.

20 minutes ago, RyuKisargi said:

Well, SNES titles are only playable on the New 2DS and 3DS, as well as these newer titles. I think it's marketing. Fire Emblem Warriors, Minecraft? Should be compatible with regular 3DS family.

Mmmmm, I’m gonna lean towards “no” on compatiblity. Did you see how Hyrule Warriors ran on regular 3DS? People got rightfully upset that Nintendo didn’t market it towards New 3DS, so that’s likely why they decided not to make the same mistake with Fire Emblem Warriors.

I dunno about Fire emblem, but hyrule warriors runs terribly on standard systems

2 hours ago, jay said:

I dunno about Fire emblem, but hyrule warriors runs terribly on standard systems

Fire Emblem Warriors is New 3DS only. I actually didn’t even know that it was available for 3DS at all until I was staring at it in a Best Buy on launch day.

*shrug* They should have put this "New" processor on all newly made DSs. This "New" brand is obscene, especially when they still sell the "Old" brand.

1 hour ago, RyuKisargi said:

*shrug* They should have put this "New" processor on all newly made DSs. This "New" brand is obscene, especially when they still sell the "Old" brand.

They stopped directly producing and supporting the original about six months after the New 3DS XL released.  That was about three years ago now.  The rest of what's left since then are backstock, or people who bought up the original and sat on it until demand rises for it and they can charge 200+ during shortage periods.  Though for a time you could buy a new normal 3DS model, and it was probably still on per order, but I haven't seen any evidence for that over the past two years.

The problem with Nintendo and the New 3DS, is they failed to showcase why it's the "new" and erase any concept of confusion, ignoring that even the original 3DS launch was fraught with confusion as to whether the 3DS was just a slightly upgraded DS, or if it was a new system.  Much like the Wii and Wii U, only slightly less confusing and more obvious based on certain aesthetics like the 3D slider and larger upper screen, and slightly better marketing that the original 3DS was a new system, despite the name confusion.

Like I said above, they can and should have allowed hardware acceleration, and marketed it.  Some games are considerably faster as a result, or smoother, or have fewer load times for certain heavy parts, that CAN be demonstrated.  It just won't make your normal 3DS games look that much better.  Plus they made the stupid choice of not putting the charger in the box, asserting they assumed people would buy a New 3DS only if they had the original, which further hurt sales.

The sad part of the 3DS, and the Wii U, are both were success stories Nintendo pushed towards failure.  However in retrospect, the 3DS is actually one of the best selling consoles, and by most standards is a success story.  It's just lackluster compared to the DS, except for years 1, 2, and half of 3, where they showed signs the 3DS would outstrip the DS and could have become the highest selling console of all time.

---

If you're curious:

https://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-has-seemingly-discontinued-the-original-3ds-285771.phtml

Edited by ignasia

Hmm.

*shrug* Still think that GBA/SNES should most definitely be on ALL the 3DS/2DS family.

• Like 1