Square Enix: DQ XI is a FY18 title (not before April 2018)

NidoTower

So... DQXI is going to be a DS release? Like, regular 2DS and not "new"?

What? its still coming to PS4 right?

Should be, we got everything else so far.

DS > PS4.

PIXELLLY SNES GOODNESS MOTHER#$*!ERS

PIXELS

41 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, david said:

That's the version we're assured of.

The PS4 version seems like a given. I'm still hopeful we'll get all three versions, but I'll be real disappointed if we don't get the 3DS version. I like both of the art styles it has for one, and with how much time and enjoyment I've gotten out of the system for (nearly) 7 years, DQ11 would be a good last hurrah.

2 hours ago, RyuKisargi said:

PIXELS

Good graphical medium, awful movie.  :D

5 hours ago, RyuKisargi said:

So... DQXI is going to be a DS release? Like, regular 2DS and not "new"?

lol the only New 3DS games we’ve gotten so far besides Xenoblade Chronicles and one other game I don’t recall are the wonky Warriors ports. And even then Hyrule Warriors was technically playable on a regular 3DS, so long as you don’t mind playing a MS PowerPoint presentation. Basically only games that have a ton of enemies jammed on your screen.

Edited by eal

1 hour ago, eal said:

lol the only New 3DS games we’ve gotten so far besides Xenoblade Chronicles and one other game I don’t recall are the wonky Warriors ports. And even then Hyrule Warriors was technically playable on a regular 3DS, so long as you don’t mind playing a MS PowerPoint presentation. Basically only games that have a ton of enemies jammed on your screen.

I still don't get Nintendo's stupidity on this.  They could hardware accelerate every game without any need for individual game patches, which should be used for fine tuning.  Then market it as such, since they could show reduced load times, improved colour and motion, and smoother transitions for some of the heavier load games from menu to map or battle to map and vice versa.  Reading up on the number of 3DS games that see a rather significant performance boost by fully unlocking the New 3DS hardware begs the question of why Nintendo failed to recognize how this was a bad idea to unlock.  Their claims are that the battery would die far faster, or that there could be potential issues with games, none of which have been seen by any CFWed N3DS user I've yet heard from or read commentary over.  It's asinine, since that would have encouraged New 3DS sales in the market, and increased the number of pure N3DS releases.  Heck it may have kept sales healthy enough to continue support through 2020, rather than killing it off early.

Aside from the Switch's handling, which seems to be more akin to the SNES and NES handling, in terms of focused marketing, smart marketing, and not capping their hardware, but rather pushing for every inch of potential usage from it...it really boggles my mind how inconsistent Nintendo is between systems.  Then again, they pulled the same crap with the DSi, only for that they did attempt to market it as a more powerful system...the difference was the power increase was miniscule...maybe 20% overall better performance compared to the original, while the 3DS is about 3x more potent, which IS a hard selling point, and can be demonstrated to the gaming public....well, could have been, they missed the bus on that one.

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, david said:

That's the version we're assured of.

Nope.  3DS is assured as well.  Market penetration.  PS4's share of the market is nowhere near the PSX when DQ7 was around (clearly since it was so late the PS2 was already out, lol), PS2 when DQ8 came out, the DS when DQ9 as released, or even market penetration compared to the previous console with the SNES when even DQ5 came out.

This is not specifically aimed at you Platty, but instead for everyone:

PS4 unit to unit comparison sales with the 3DS are still about par, with I think the PS4 now in the lead, with worldwide sales right now at 76.5 (PS4) and 71.99 (3DS) respectively.  While it's hard to get an accurate country by country or even region by region sales chart for the PS4 that isn't mostly speculative, the NA sales are about 25~25m (current 3DS, 23.49 September 30, 2017 was the last hard number), and about 28~31m for the PS4, depending on the source and speculation.

Point being, the market for the 3DS exists already, it's not dead yet, as Nintendo is still supporting it, and I can't believe I have to argue this point, but SE wants to make money, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper selling all three versions at once, and making maximum profits by selling off maximum counts for each system DQ11 is released on in the NA and EU regions, than risk potential sales losses, since all sales count towards total regardless of system.

So do I think we're guaranteed the 3DS version?  Yes.  I think anyone who says otherwise is incredibly naive about corporate behaviour and fearful that SE is far too ignorant to even account for sales, like they actually WANT DQ11 to fail, or maybe too many of us DQ gamers "expect" and actually desire for a self-fulfilled dream for DQ11 to fail miserably so we can continue to rant about how SE hates us, hates DQ becoming a success, and seriously, it's getting annoying.  They make mistakes, but honestly they're not that dumb or ignorant.

The very fact that we're getting SWITCH versions of DQ releases should be by definition, SELF-EVIDENT that DQ11 is coming here on the 3DS.  Switch sales are high, but market saturation is less than 2m for the US, and that's POST-holiday season.  It's even less for the EU.  Again, this is releasing versions of games with existing translations.  Apply said logic to DQ11 and multiplatform, and please understand it's even cheaper for SE to go all 3 at once here, since it means ONE marketing campaign, and it means forcing the localization team to work only one time, with the programmers of the original versions one time, rather than multiple rehires to finalize each new version.  Nevermind spending extra time beta testing each version individually, and instead doing it at the same time, which also reduces overall costs and frees up the various teams, programmers, marketers, localizers, etc. for other projects.  Risk averse and old-school corporate tactics in modern times does not equate to the level of stupidity most DQ fans on this forum seem to be willing to apply willy-nilly to SE.

Even under Yoichi Wada the company wasn't quite as stupid as some are suggesting, and it's under decent management now.  Still needs some tweaks, like some faith in the market, and faith in non-FF and KH products, as well as smart decisions such as higher quality assurance checks on non-FF/DQ/KH games (Star Ocean and Infinite Undiscovery), or more faith in reworking old but decent IPs that may not have done as well as expected (Nier's success should trigger a relook at some old games and series, such as...oh Secret of Evermore, or The Last Remnant, or maybe reboots of other SNES ip's, like the Enix catalog?  when most of the developers are defunct...oh, I don't know, Quintet games?).

Nope.  3DS is assured as well.  Market penetration.  PS4's share of the market is nowhere near the PSX when DQ7 was around (clearly since it was so late the PS2 was already out, lol), PS2 when DQ8 came out, the DS when DQ9 as released, or even market penetration compared to the previous console with the SNES when even DQ5 came out.

This is not specifically aimed at you Platty, but instead for everyone:

PS4 unit to unit comparison sales with the 3DS are still about par, with I think the PS4 now in the lead, with worldwide sales right now at 76.5 (PS4) and 71.99 (3DS) respectively.  While it's hard to get an accurate country by country or even region by region sales chart for the PS4 that isn't mostly speculative, the NA sales are about 25~25m (current 3DS, 23.49 September 30, 2017 was the last hard number), and about 28~31m for the PS4, depending on the source and speculation.
Point being, the market for the 3DS exists already, it's not dead yet, as Nintendo is still supporting it, and I can't believe I have to argue this point, but SE wants to make money, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper selling all three versions at once, and making maximum profits by selling off maximum counts for each system DQ11 is released on in the NA and EU regions, than risk potential sales losses, since all sales count towards total regardless of system.
So do I think we're guaranteed the 3DS version?  Yes.  I think anyone who says otherwise is incredibly naive about corporate behaviour and fearful that SE is far too ignorant to even account for sales, like they actually WANT DQ11 to fail, or maybe too many of us DQ gamers "expect" and actually desire for a self-fulfilled dream for DQ11 to fail miserably so we can continue to rant about how SE hates us, hates DQ becoming a success, and seriously, it's getting annoying.  They make mistakes, but honestly they're not that dumb or ignorant.
The very fact that we're getting SWITCH versions of DQ releases should be by definition, SELF-EVIDENT that DQ11 is coming here on the 3DS.  Switch sales are high, but market saturation is less than 2m for the US, and that's POST-holiday season.  It's even less for the EU.  Again, this is releasing versions of games with existing translations.  Apply said logic to DQ11 and multiplatform, and please understand it's even cheaper for SE to go all 3 at once here, since it means ONE marketing campaign, and it means forcing the localization team to work only one time, with the programmers of the original versions one time, rather than multiple rehires to finalize each new version.  Nevermind spending extra time beta testing each version individually, and instead doing it at the same time, which also reduces overall costs and frees up the various teams, programmers, marketers, localizers, etc. for other projects.  Risk averse and old-school corporate tactics in modern times does not equate to the level of stupidity most DQ fans on this forum seem to be willing to apply willy-nilly to SE.
Even under Yoichi Wada the company wasn't quite as stupid as some are suggesting, and it's under decent management now.  Still needs some tweaks, like some faith in the market, and faith in non-FF and KH products, as well as smart decisions such as higher quality assurance checks on non-FF/DQ/KH games (Star Ocean and Infinite Undiscovery), or more faith in reworking old but decent IPs that may not have done as well as expected (Nier's success should trigger a relook at some old games and series, such as...oh Secret of Evermore, or The Last Remnant, or maybe reboots of other SNES ip's, like the Enix catalog?  when most of the developers are defunct...oh, I don't know, Quintet games?).
Maybe I should have said PS4 was mentioned at one point, so it's all we've been hinted at...

5 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I would absolutely love to see it in fall. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it came in 2019, I would be sad though.

I hate to say it...but DQ11 is the 30th anniversary game...or rather the game made FOR the 30th anniversary, and to be Horii's final release.

Dragon Warrior I was released in the US in August of 1989.  Meaning OUR 30th anniversary year is 2019.  So that might be something they'll aim for.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ignasia said:

I hate to say it...but DQ11 is the 30th anniversary game...or rather the game made FOR the 30th anniversary, and to be Horii's final release.

Dragon Warrior I was released in the US in August of 1989.  Meaning OUR 30th anniversary year is 2019.  So that might be something they'll aim for.

That's a very good point. Having to wait until August of 2019 would truly be painful. We will be so very overdue for a DQ game by then.

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

That's a very good point. Having to wait until August of 2019 would truly be painful. We will be so very overdue for a DQ game by then.

LOL, yeah...if they do go down that route and mode of thought, I hope they decide just the year is sufficient, and aim for April/May, or June the latest.  At least with spring, it means the summer is filled up with DQ11, and given how few AAA titles release in that time period, it's less likely to be overshadowed.  That said, I'm hoping it's mid-late summer this year, with at least a 2 month window of advertisements and commercials leading into it...3 months would be preferable, and some teasers abusing the Switch version's impending Japanese announcement, since that would be fresh as a "new" release there, thus a fresh topic for even journalists here to piggyback off of for DQ11 NA/EU.

On 2/6/2018 at 3:32 PM, Imutone said:

I hate how the probability of this happening is so high. I really do.

Also there will be next to no marketing and the DQ Twitter will be dead for another 5 months outside of 2 wimpy Nintendo rts. I'm calling it now.

I'm taking this back.

We will see one whole trailer at E3 this year but it will be overshadowed by a KH3 trailer and probably a FF7 remake trailer.

• Like 1

Yeah the whole thing with the KH3 release date at E3 is definitely going to make it a bit more difficult for DQXI to make a splash. Well, I guess all we can do is wait and see at this point.

22 minutes ago, BorisTheWizard said:

Oh no, if it doesn't come out sometime this Summer I won't get an award for choosing its release month correctly! Oh god, I'll be award-less for another year! :cry2:

Should have been around for the pumpkin carving contest.

24 minutes ago, BorisTheWizard said:

Oh no, if it doesn't come out sometime this Summer I won't get an award for choosing its release month correctly! Oh god, I'll be award-less for another year! :cry2:

AWARD?!?! BADGES?!?!!?!???!

• Upvote 1

I hope the game is released this year. this is ridiculous, i don't think i have seen a game series take so long to be translated. meanwhile so many other game developers and publishers work together at the same time so games can release simultaneously in Japan and the west. not like the 90's. game hits Japan, west gets it a year or two later. 

If this was published by someone else we could have had DQ XI around the same time as Japan. like Monster Hunter World for example.