Sign in to follow this  
NidoTower

Square Enix: DQ XI is a FY18 title (not before April 2018)

Man, I was expecting to see both before the end of February...

Edited by Sumez

“Fell Japan-made RPG getting positive feedback these days for their design and stories”

This is the Bravely Default revelation all over again.

43 minutes ago, eal said:

“Fell Japan-made RPG getting positive feedback these days for their design and stories”

This is the Bravely Default revelation all over again.

No kidding. Silly Square Enix, people in the west actually like RPGs!

So, basically Jan - March 2019, right. That's about the end of fiscal year 2018 for them, right?

3 hours ago, NidoTower said:

I can see DQXI being released during the April/May Spring of this year, or the summer. When PS4 and 3DS versions r announced, the Madesagora/Nadraga minions that reappear in this game (With a couple more added in the 3DS's DQ I-X worlds.), will be ours! #DQXmonstersfortheWest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZmbBi_eMxo (1:04)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ERP8McNwnI 

19 minutes ago, winky55 said:

I can see DQXI being released during the April/May Spring of this year, or the summer. When PS4 and 3DS versions r announced, the Madesagora/Nadraga minions that reappear in this game (With a couple more added in the 3DS's DQ I-X worlds.), will be ours! #DQXmonstersfortheWest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZmbBi_eMxo (1:04)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ERP8McNwnI 

With no trailer, no info beyond the localized title, and no news on which versions we’re getting? No way will it be April/May. Summer maybe. Fall more likely.

20 minutes ago, eal said:

With no trailer, no info beyond the localized title, and no news on which versions we’re getting? No way will it be April/May. Summer maybe. Fall more likely.

You could say that. DQVII and Dragon Quest Builders' PS4 version did get released in Fall 2016. I don't know bout an announcement at this year's E3, though. But it's my thought alone and I'll just take it with a grain of salt.

I kinda want to take Platty's side here. Just knowing them it's conceivable that we get it next year

I could see a Fall 2018 release. Maybe. It’d be perfect in time for Christmas.

1 hour ago, eal said:

Right, especially if they want to get any amount of traction with a serious campaign.  Summer months aren't that attractive for games these days, but late summer, just prior to the big Christmas, or early spring, are the two best time slots.  Spring if you want people to play in Summer, and September if you want a jump on the Christmas season.

Especially given we're already in February.  That would mean a month's period of early news.  Plus the likely chance is they'll do Switch + PS4 going Westward at the same time, and probably to favour Nintendo given DQ's 9/6/J2/7/8.  Nevermind the cost effectiveness.  Since they haven't released any Japanese info on the Switch version yet, I'm willing to bet they'll wait until after that point.  Nevermind Nicolai's post awhile back reflecting on the timing of the original planned DQ11 West announcement and the Nintendo Switch's new account demonstration and reveal, both of which were cancelled.

3 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Exactly.  A lot of major companies seem to allow that release window for smaller companies who want some measure of competition into the Christmas season, knowing full well they'll capture the bulk play imagination and attention the moment the AAA+ titles reveal in mid-late October/early November (DQ is an AAA+ title, regardless of what some feel, but by standard definitions this day and age...sad truth).

26 minutes ago, Democrobot said:

I kinda want to take Platty's side here. Just knowing them it's conceivable that we get it next year

SE's quarterly might be 2018 going into our 2019, due to how Japan handles their books, and their shopping seasons being slightly different from ours, but to release here, they do have to play by our rules if they want the most attention.

It all depends on whether they're smart enough to cash-in on the extra press for DQ11 to push the Western release in tandem with the Switch Japanese release, as a booster of sorts without having to shell out as much money.  I'm wagering they might do just that.  Even better if they can tie-in with the planned Switch account system whenever that's fully operational.

Still waiting on Fall 2017 & more info to come out...

SE's quarterly might be 2018 going into our 2019,

"Might"? I posted the link, it runs through March 31, 2019.

6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
14 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Still waiting on Fall 2017 & more info to come out...

We all are. I'm optimistic right now, especially after getting the game's symphonic suite in the mail today.

15 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

"Might"? I posted the link, it runs through March 31, 2019.

You overlooked the second half of my sentence ;).  The "might" is not a question of whether the quarterly runs through March 31st.  =p

Edited by ignasia

Square Enix would be foolish to release XI during Broketober. It would be eaten up by the bigger games, especially it’s a timesink RPG. Summer is the only safe time this year for DQ XI.

But I know SE and they’ll either be ignorant and not market it at all for a reasonable release date, or send it off to die in the middle of the busiest time of the year for gaming.

2 minutes ago, eal said:

Square Enix would be foolish to release XI during Broketober. It would be eaten up by the bigger games, especially it’s a timesink RPG. Summer is the only safe time this year for DQ XI.

But I know SE and they’ll either be ignorant and not market it at all for a reasonable release date, or send it off to die in the middle of the busiest time of the year for gaming.

While normally I'd agree, not this time.  They're ignorant still, as they should be releasing more teaser statements, or doing short interviews over the game as there are plenty of interested writers and editors, and if a few with some traction/audience get an interview, it generally pulls in more interest from other media sources as to why this team is getting so much attention.  It's how a lot of indie games went viral prior to the social media explosion, and still worked after social media became the creature it is today.  However, SE has indicated they really want this to go well. 

This is the 11th game, it was made for the PS4 using the Unreal engine, with, at least one interview suggests Western Gamers in mind, and with DQ8's conventions more so than any other DQ's which again has Western Gamers in mind, as DQ8 was the last game SE itself pushed hard to reasonable success, and it's going multi-platform, which further increases market penetration potential, on top of clearly indicating all the current trends, from the Mobile releases on up, were leading to DQ11.  Meaning they're trying to build a larger audience ahead of DQ11, and with the new graphics engine, and controversial "Action RPG" facade with the walkaround aspect in battle, and the early attack aspect of pre-battle, have a way to target Western gamers who wouldn't ordinarily care about a JRPG, or who might have played Builders or Heroes, and may see some potential in DQ11 PS4, and likely Switch.

So while SE isn't playing this as well as they could, I believe you, and virtually everyone else here will be markedly surprised at the campaign they're likely to pull out of their asses.  If they don't, they're incomprehensibly stupid if they pull a DQ4 and 5:

OMG, why did our unmarketed game sell terribly?  Was it that people don't magically know to buy a DQ years and years after the last release, because Western attention spans are widely known to cross aeons of time?  Shouldn't putting it in the dark back corner of our showroom, with the wall showing the logo facing said corner, so it's out of view of every other part of our booth, and the tragically boring single video we showed only at said impossible to find booth have assured at least SOME attention?  I mean my god, don't people know that if you hide something and pretend it doesn't exist it becomes its own attraction due to the mystery of why we're hiding it, even if people don't know we're hiding said thing to know to look for it to be intrigued?

Or 5's...oh, we have this DQ game, but it's not even on the front page of our main page, and there's no advertisement anywhere, but we did create a video we never showed to anyone, so that should totally bring attention!  Right?  I mean c'mon, if we bury the game on the sales page, and even bury it when searched for by first letter, because at the time listings were alphabetized rather than ordered by release date, that should totally spike the numbers!  Nevermind that the lack of information and mentioning at any game store should totally provoke the curiosity of players as to why a new game isn't present in store...due to a small print run?

No, I don't think they'll do that this time.  I'm very confident even I'll be shocked.  They're just playing this old-school rather than new school due likely to risk management and failure to launch if they put out something on social media and it fails to catch traction, because the NATURE of how they reveal stuff on social media is significant.  If you talk about something like it's boring, or you're afraid of success, it usually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I think they do realize that, especially if they watched outtakes on their DQ7 interviews, which indicate they were very unsure if DQ7 would sell at all in the US, if there was any audience of any kind.  If the US even likes JRPG's, let alone the DQ series.

REEEEEEEEEEEsetEra.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

45 minutes ago, eal said:

I hate how the probability of this happening is so high. I really do.

Also there will be next to no marketing and the DQ Twitter will be dead for another 5 months outside of 2 wimpy Nintendo rts. I'm calling it now.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

REEEEEEEEEEEsetEra.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

We’ve noticed. You’ve been very prolific lately.

You overlooked the second half of my sentence ;).  The "might" is not a question of whether the quarterly runs through March 31st.  =p
Yep...
1343a6bed8afebb1983c41b82165d811.gif