Ace Attorney

Brother Jaybird

On 11/12/2017 at 1:51 PM, eal said:

Why isn't there a Ace Attorney topic.

Excellent question, eal, so glad you asked.

This here is a newly dedicated topic about the Ace Attorney franchise including the main series, the Investigations and Dai Gyakutan Saiban spinoffs, and miscellaneous crossovers.

Feel free to argue discuss anything you like here, such as your favorite case, your favorite meltdown, the worst prosecutor and why his name is Klavier, or how the crossover was the best that the Professor Layton series ever got.

2 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

or how the crossover was the best that the Professor Layton series ever got.

If you’re trying to say that the crossover with Layton is the best Layton crossover, then you’re not wrong because it’s the only Layton crossover.

If you’re saying that the game considered to be the worst Layton and Ace Attorney game is the best Layton game, then pass me whatever you’re smoking.

23 minutes ago, eal said:

pass me whatever you’re smoking.

original.jpg

As an aside, I did a quick search for 'video games that smoke' in service of a quick visual gag and ran across a report that indicated some 42% of games included non-negative portrayals of smoking, which CNN describes as overexposure.

What is that data based on? Surely not all game to ever come out. Did they pick about 100 games and pull their number from that?

1 hour ago, JaybirdC said:

Casting such a wide net taints their findings. The culture has changed since 1994, of course they’d find plenty of games with smoking characters during that era.

Context matters in these kinds of studies. The editor-in-chief at the time at Marvel Comics had banned smoking back in the early 2000s (2001, I believe).

I don't know if it's become a meme at this point but I still haven't beaten Dual Destinies. 

I guess I'll try to drum up some discussion on certain aspects of the series. So cases, what are your guys' favorites? My favorite is easily Bridge to the Turnabout, with Godot also being my favorite character. Another favorite case that I can spend ages talking about is Farewell, My Turnabout. I love this case especially because this is when I felt Ace Attorney really got into developing the series' characters. You see Phoenix change his view on prosecutors through the case and he manages to pull of a miracle. I remember the first time I played it I got penalized on the final piece of evidence and saw the alternate bad ending. Really gave the trial some uniqueness from the others even the alternate end was just a token gesture, it really drove the point home of just how impossible this case is supposed to be in-universe. Also favorite music piece, The Fragrance of Dark Coffee, play that saxophone Godot!:

The Dual Destinies DLC case has a neat twist or two regarding its villains. I think it has one of my favorite transformation sequences of any of them.

Ah, Godot. It's kind of a shame they never revisit him in the latter half of the series, given how closely he ties into the "family" and all.

• 3 months later...

So, I was doing some research and it turns out Ace Attorney may or may not share a universe with Resident Evil due to the wholesale reuse of the Dino Crisis setting.

And I thought Ace Attorney was already mad.

9 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

So, I was doing some research and it turns out Ace Attorney may or may not share a universe with Resident Evil due to the wholesale reuse of the Dino Crisis setting.

And I thought Ace Attorney was already mad.

What are you talking about? 

The Ace Attorney world has a country called the Republic of Borginia. Thing is, the Borginian Republic is the setting of the Dino Crisis game (Shu Takumi worked on both), which has strong ties to Resident Evil due to a cameo by the Umbrella Corporation and the fact that the video game Dino Stalker (based on the first Dino Crisis) is the third game in the Resident Evil spinoff series, Gun Survivor.

The Maybe hinges on how strong the identification of both Republics is.

6 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

The Ace Attorney world has a country called the Republic of Borginia. Thing is, the Borginian Republic is the setting of the Dino Crisis game (Shu Takumi worked on both), which has strong ties to Resident Evil due to a cameo by the Umbrella Corporation and the fact that the video game Dino Stalker (based on the first Dino Crisis) is the third game in the Resident Evil spinoff series, Gun Survivor.

The Maybe hinges on how strong the identification of both Republics is.

Borginia got its own language in Dino Crisis? What do you know about it from that series?

1 hour ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Borginia got its own language in Dino Crisis? What do you know about it from that series?

Er, what does language have to do with anything?

1 hour ago, JaybirdC said:

Er, what does language have to do with anything?

Ace Attorney's specifically has its own language. You see its written word in Case 2 of Ace Attorney Investigations. 

On 6/8/2018 at 8:09 AM, JaybirdC said:

Language Barriers are rarely if ever a thing in Ace Attorney, so I don't think there would be a problem.

My point was that if one Borginia has its own language but the other doesn't, they may not be the same place. 

Maybe, but I don't particularly think it's a dealbreaker. Ace Attorney characters have gone to pointedly foreign countries and converse fluently with everyone, which is to say, language in Ace Attorney is really a nonissue.

Edited by JaybirdC
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...