The Super Bowl Sucks

eal

Living in New England, maybe my perception of the Super Bowl hype is skewed, but the entire country is starting to get a bit too into the Super Bowl (and football in general) and it’s starting to get annoying.

Walk into any Walmart or Target and you knew when a game was on. I remember last year when I worked during the Super Bowl and it was literally dead. Almost nobody came in once the game started.

But now it’s gotten worse, because at least it’s understandable for people to shop before an event. Now, people just ask me in casual conversation at my job if I’m excited for the game, which is fine, they’re being polite, but I also get people talking deep football stats and lore to me (saying “with me” would imply I understood and getting actively involved in the discussion) and giving me their conspiracy theories, as if this is something everyone understands and knows. Because how could you hate football? Just yesterday, during Jeopardy, the audience laughed- laughed- at the contestants that couldn’t answer a single football-related question.

People can like what they like, but I feel like that’s the thing though: I get the impression that a lot of people only care about the Super Bowl because it’s basically become a national event and since all their friends and family watch it, they feel obligated to care about it too. But then you get the people that are so passionate as to get upset, which is bad in every fandom. Nothing you enjoy should illicit such negative emotions out of you as to cause you distress. My dad had to leave the room because he couldn’t handle the stress of the Patriots maybe not making it to the Super Bowl again this year. I rooted for the Bills one time because they were the underdogs and I knew into would make my family mad, and I was right because it did. My own mother was calling me a douche and being serious about it. Because God forbid the Patriots lose a game once. A lot of this is anecdotal evidence, but I’m sure a lot of non-football fans here have stories of their own similar to mine.

And now we find ourselves in a place where people are saying the day after the Super Bowl should be a national holiday and being taken seriously. Look it up. Think about it: the day after a football game would be considered a special important to our nation as a day of rest as Christmas, Thanksgiving, MLK Jr. Day, Veterens Day, and a host of other historically significant days. You can’t go to the bank, you’ll get a paid holiday, you won’t get mail. What?

P.S.

Also, I’m just one of those people who gets tired of hearing about things, especially stuff I don’t care about, so that’s part of the reason why I hate this 

Well, being in New Hampshire, all I hear is Pats this, Pats that. When I explain that I haven't paid heed to football since my Cowboys turned to hell in the 90s, I get "the look" on 2 different fronts. I have in recent years considered starting to watch again though, simply because I enjoy rivaling with my kinfolk like I do during baseball season.

Yeah, as far as baseball goes it ain't easy having your loyalties to the Bronx Bombers in my neck of the woods. The reactions I get make it all worth it though.

I like the color orange. It's a good color and I have a few nice orange shirts that I enjoyed wearing.

I no longer wear orange.

Wearing orange causes complete strangers to walk up and strike a conversation with you about the Vols for no apparent reason. Woe betide you if you're not a Vols fan but are wearing orange - you may be a Gators (or whatever team they hate at the time) fan in disguise, and your car may get plastered with Vols bumperstickers or the windows may be broken out.

I can't stand sports in general. People get way too worked up over a stupid game, and I'm just wondering why they can't care that much about something actually important.

According to my hometown newspaper, it's all the Patriots fault.  Super Bowl blowouts for a couple decades don't make for a big fun game.  The Patriots have made it an event for the past 18 years now:  http://www.tampabay.com/data/2018/02/01/how-belichick-brady-and-the-patriots-saved-the-super-bowl/

One of the most irritating things about it is the phrase "the big game."

Y'see kids... The NFL is pretty much broke. They're hurting from all those people using the term Super Bowl. So much that they trademarked the name. It's so overreaching a news broadcast can't say "Super Bowl" unless it is being broadcast on their network. Instead they say "the big game," which is asinine. Instead of "#$*! her right in the #$*!," some brave soul needs to get in front of a camera and say, "Super Bowl" as many times as possible. Let's trigger the NFL. They deserve it for constantly shoving that simpleton Terry Bradshaw in our faces for decades.

I would have when it was in Houston last year, but it was all the way downtown and traffic is bad enough on a regular day.

I love to play sports.  I do have teams that I prefer and have remained a fan of...though dear lord was it hard not to be a Bronco's fan in Denver.  Though the reactions that I'm crazy, or I'm an idiot, or I should get punched in the face for not supporting my "local" team, despite being in college, and the responses from college kids who were not from Colorado was beyond hysterical.

I'll go to a game, since being at a game is surprisingly stimulating, and a fun event, but I never follow sports, at least not since I turned 8 and sport fandom seemed beneath me, as I could never understand the strong desire to care more for one team over another so as to cause consternation, anxiety, fear, and ultimately, hatred.  Seriously, your team loses a game, and you go break out car windows, set fires, beat up random people, break into shops and loot, and flip police cars attempting to keep the peace?

I get when people love playing a game, and want to start a club, or invite me to play.  That's enjoyable, and it's all sportsmanship, a few bruises, and some beers and burgers after the fact.  Even if someone loses there, it's just a game.  Yet that maturity never seems to carry over to fandom of the game itself.

It's a complete lack of coherence and sense of self-worth in my estimation.  Why value a team to a point where the fate of the team affects a fan?  How does that matter?  I get if a team drafts a bad pick, and people are upset over how that player handles him/herself on the field, while being paid a lucrative contract, because fans shell out money for tickets, but beyond that, I see no other reason to internalize a sports team, especially when it's pushed as some sort of male right of passage?  Why and how is this the case?  I'm supposed to feel that a guy who doesn't give a hoot about his personal appearance, who doesn't care to play a sport that I'll play him at, is somehow more of a man than me, because he cares more for the team than his own well being...yeah, sorry, no.

It seems more like most sports fans are children, and barely register as adults.

Edited by ignasia

The Vikings aren't going to the super bowl, so I don't care about this year. Sucks they lost so bad against the Eagles.

There are 3 sport teams I follow: the Minnesota Vikings, the Chicago Bulls, and the Chicago Blackhawks. The first and last one because of my dad (even have his Blackhawks winter jacket that I wear nowadays) and the middle just because. Otherwise, I don't care about sports, though I do like playing golf.

Also I have an odd affinity towards baseball movies like A League of Their Own and Field of Dreams and one video game: Mario Superstar Baseball. It's one of my most played GameCube games and has the best menu music.

8 hours ago, ignasia said:

It seems more like most sports fans are children, and barely register as adults.

It seems to me they're more like children trying to be adults.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

8 hours ago, ignasia said:

A few years ago, NRG Stadium banned tailgating. People got upset, but all you had to do was search for fights and there were tons of results. (Lots have been taken down since.)

The funny thing is, I don't dislike football. It's the NFL. The NFL caters to the lowest of the low. Bud Light preceded Mountain Dew and Doritos. The announcers are stupid. The players and coaches frequently act entitled and trashy, and too many fans somehow find a way to act even worse.

But hey, at least it's not as bad as European Football. That's lose faith in humanity level sadness there!

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

Wait, fanatic DQ gamers calling out sports fans?6afc463067ca9c7dbea820d6d5be8a6f.gif

Haha!

23 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Wait, fanatic DQ gamers calling out sports fans?6afc463067ca9c7dbea820d6d5be8a6f.gif

I feel there’s  difference. I see people get genuinely upset and emotionally affected in a negative way when it comes to football. Like, the Patriots have won five of these thing and fans will still get mad and upset, not disappointed, mad about it if they lose this year.

I was getting irritated at a section in Gravity Rush 2, so I put it down. These people cannot do that. They can’t let things go, and they can’t enjoy their hobby in a healthy way. Watching football is supposed to be fun, but it doesn’t look that way to me when I watch people watch football.

Also, it’s pretty interesting seeing all this in the heart of Patriots country. Here is a franchise that is no longer an underdog, always winning and very beloved. So how do fans make themselves feel like they’re not rooting for Goliath? They say that everyone hates the Patriots! Everyone insists that all the other teams and their fans hate them, going so far as to start selling “Patriots vs. Everybody” t-shirts. Claiming the league has it out for them. Don’t even get me started on Deflategate.

I feel there’s  difference. I see people get genuinely upset and emotionally affected in a negative way when it comes to football.

Unlike Fire Emblem anti-censorship fans?

36 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Unlike Fire Emblem anti-censorship fans?

Those are people that are unhappy about a lot of things. There’s a sense of entitlement to their actions, like they think they’re owed something.

Those are people that are unhappy about a lot of things. There’s a sense of entitlement to their actions, like they think they’re owed something.
Side boob. They're owed side boob.

24 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
26 minutes ago, eal said:

Side boob. They're owed side boob.

You think that’s a joke, but you’re absolutely right. You’ve seen the gaming fandom’s reaction to “censorship,” the anime fandom reaction to that kind of thing is only slightly less dramatic, yet at the same time they’re twice as entitled and Fire Emblem Fates had a mix of both.

Edited by eal

You think that’s a joke, but you’re absolutely right. You’ve seen the gaming fandom’s reaction to “censorship,” the anime fandom reaction to that kind of thing is only slightly less dramatic, yet at the same time they’re twice as entitled and Fire Emblem Fates had a mix of both.
Oh, I spent an hour a few nights ago reading all about Criminal Girls 1 & 2, gameplay and 90% discussion about censorship. Heck, we've banned members and shut down topics here over it. I joke, but yeah, it's no joke to some.

I'm curious about how the attendance will turn out, given how the NFL has been hemorrhaging audience for months.

Sold out. And they're losing audience, but still top rated. FOX just laid down hundreds of millions for Thursday Night Football rights.

49 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, eal said:

Oh, I spent an hour a few nights ago reading all about Criminal Girls 1 & 2, gameplay and 90% discussion about censorship. Heck, we've banned members and shut down topics here over it. I joke, but yeah, it's no joke to some.

I really hope you play Criminal Girls.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:
39 minutes ago, eal said:
I really hope you play Criminal Girls.

The gameplay seems like #$*!. I'm more controlling than that game allows.

There’s still Omega Labyrinth Z to look forward to.