Sign in to follow this  
Dragon Chaser

NES Maker on Kickstarter

Anyone else backed this project?

I have high hopes for it.  The documentary The new 8-bit Heroes is also worth checking out.

I want! I want! I want!

Dragon Warrior Classic on physical cartridge???? :D

I plan to do the $88 one to have my son give it a go, which ones are you going to do?

I wonder how hard it would be to redo DWC on this?

I did the $88 dollar one as well.  I have a contest idea for best original game and so set up a quick free site and forum  http://nesmakerclassics.webstarts.com/  and well will see what comes of it, I won't be winning.  I have slowly but surely been learning 6502 from a fairly good book I found online.  I was sure I'd get to make a basic NES game but doubted it would be too advanced, with this and some 6502 anyone should be able to make a half decent game, and with some work I do believe some great new games will be made. 

I am going to restart and complete my DW 1.5 game which has sat since we made the RPG Maker game.  And I spent years on a game for O.H.R.RPG.C.E which is 80 percent done, it will be redone and improved as an NES game, with all copyright material removed from it. 
Am interested to see how they figure out the music.  I learned to make decent midi music but this is different Joe says...

Probably the only kickstarter project I'm ever going to back. Really surprised it hasn't been done sooner.

***  I guess I lose enthusiasm for things quickly, I cancelled my pledge.  Sure it will be a fun little program when its released but I should probably do something more productive with my time than nostalgia, and it didn't seem I was too welcomed with my idea of a contest with an entry fee.  I guess things on the internet should be free. 

Edited by Dragon Chaser
To add to the message, I hate double posting.

On 2/2/2018 at 1:22 PM, Woodus said:

I wonder how hard it would be to redo DWC on this?

Hopefully it wouldn't be too hard since the blue prints are all there. .NSF music files (if that's what is accepts), sprites and pallets, etc.

The only thing that would suck would be redoing my monsters to properly fit the rules of 8-bit art and presentation. I now have a better understanding of how 8-bit art works, and I didn't follow them at all. Just made the monsters willy nilly.

This has always been on the back of my mind as if possible, I'd love to find a programmer willing to help me remake the games as a standalone app as a true 8-bit recreation of the original engines. If NES Maker sees the light of day, that might be my best chance.

I know this makes me sound terribly gate-keepy, but I frankly am not too fond of these "no coding required" game engines. I think like with any hobby you should be willing to put forth the effort to learn the necessarily skills to develop a video game -- coding, of course, included. I think anything posing as a "do x without this common roadbump to doing x" solution is on the whole detrimental to the person looking to engage with that hobby. As silly as it sounds, it's almost just the same as an application which presents itself as a "write a novel without being fluent in any language by clicking on buttons which type some of the most basic and common phrases in literature". 

• Like 1

Coding is very left brained. Creating is right. Not many people are skilled with both sides. Some people just wanna create and that's why stuff like Mario Maker is so fun. Most games have team members that focus on design or coding. Personally, I can design a great looking and functional site, but I can't code it. I'm too right brained. Well, that and web coding is some of the most unimaginative,  unintuitive crap out there...because it's all by left brained people.

• Like 2

I agree with Dwaine. Some people want to be creative through a medium they’re interested in, but coding is so dreadfully boring. I actually took a coding class many years ago and felt like my brain was going to melt, but I had a lot of fun just fiddling around with RPG Maker.

Some good games have come out of these types of programs as well.

And it could be just a good starting point for some people, I bought my son GameMaker 8 or so years ago to see if he liked the simplified coding that it offered. Now he can create basic games in JavaScript, Java and Python.

• Like 1

What's the status on this? Is it completed or in workable form? I would be highly tempted to try my hand at this if it was...