Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Rant - The lack of mobile DQ love.

OK, this is more of a test run more than anything, but...

The recent resurgence of DQ has been wonderful. DQ7 and 8 on 3DS, Builders on platforms, hell, even STEAM releases of Heroes!

But nobody seems to notice that DQ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 are available on mobile devices.

Seriously. If you have a phone, you can support future releases by grabbing at LEAST a copy of DQ1 off of Google Play or iOS. Hell, you can use Google Opinion Rewards to save a few bucks of credit to grab it for NO COST WHATSOEVER.

The controls are pretty great for mobile titles, and they work quite well on most any Android 4.0 device and up, dunno about iOS.

So. Show SE that we want DQ7 on Mobile. Get a DQ title.

• Like 2

I was interested to see 1/2 the DQ fan base is ambivalent about DQ7 mobile.

I did purchase, play, and beat all DQ games on mobile so far. 4c5861939226e9886e07112c9f04c0d7.jpg

It's one of the reasons I finally caved in on a 3DS. I plan on getting DQ7 in some form. Tired of waiting.

• Like 1

I sincerely love the dragon quest mobile ports. Wouldn't have been able to play half the series without them. I hope they sold well :/

• Like 1

The only reason I dont play them on Mobile is I like to have a controller in my hand while playing RPGs like that. Its just something I am used to.

I cant stand using mobile controls for that. The last couple experiences were pretty bad.

Edited by Neofrodo
  • Upvote 1

I hope we get dq9 on mobil

8 hours ago, RyuKisargi said:

So. Show SE that we want DQ7 on Mobile. Get a DQ title.

But... I don't really :P 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I was interested to see 1/2 the DQ fan base is ambivalent about DQ7 mobile.

I did purchase, play, and beat all DQ games on mobile so far. 4c5861939226e9886e07112c9f04c0d7.jpg

I think it was because of how unlikely it was that we would get it. It had everything working against it: it needed a new translation, would the work that needed to be put into it be worth it, would people even support it, and the potential for the 3DS version was much more likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

But... I don't really :P 

We already have DQ on DS. Time for one device for all.

• Like 1

I would rather that device isn't one that I'm also using as a tool and for communication purposes, and doesn't have any tangible input methods. I'm already running super low on storage space anyway.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd much rather show Square Enix that we are all for Dragon Questing on major consoles instead. If the PS4 versions of DQ1-3 come out here, I'll buy them immediately, even if they are crappy ports of the mobile games, and even though I never buy digital releases otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For mobile ports, the DQ games are probably SE's creme de la creme in terms of controls and in terms of not mucking too much with the graphics.  Though DQ1's model's look hideous to me, utilizing the standardized "plastic chibi" look SE has plagued FF releases with since the PSP dev team borrowed it from the mobile FF spinoffs.  Thankfully it remains the exception, not the rule, allowing the other DQ's to retain their grace and style.

I've also gotten used to the portrait lock.  However, I would prefer to play them all on my 3DS, and I would definitely snag 1~3 on my PS4.

I really want to see DQ7 mobile come out, and I do plan to play it, though I lack a device that can run it adequately (can't even run 4/5/6 well on my phone...), especially given it brings back turn-based encounters, which is a nice changeup, and all DLC maps are entirely local and no longer DLC.  I still prefer the on screen spawns and encounters, but some dungeons...man would TB encounters be far and away preferable.

Edited by ignasia
  • Upvote 1

My son is running an android emulator on my wife's computer. A little joy2key and hopefully...

I have III and VIII for the iOS; I really ought to invest in more, but I just bought RPG Maker FES for the 3DS because it was on sale and that's my games budget for a while.

On 1/17/2018 at 4:46 AM, solo said:

I hope we get dq9 on mobil

*Hastily wipes drool from chin* I-- I mean, yeah, that would be fantastic!

The only reason I do not have the mobile ports is because........My dumb phone isn't compatible for some weird reason. I was super upset when I realized this as I really wanted them, especially I-III. But I would most like to play Dragon Quest of the Stars. I know its not a main series title but whatevs. 

I think there are a few reasons why people don't get the mobile titles

1. They already own a copy of it and don't feel like getting a port (which is fair, not everyone wants to buy multiple copies of the same game)
  2. They can't afford it. There are ways around this by doing surveys and stuff though so for some it could be done
  3. The controls. Some people (like myself) simply do not care for playing on mobile. Nothing against mobile games but they just are not built for me. I like controllers and systems (there is an attachment for some phones that will allow it to work with external controls though I do not know the compatibility of it)
  4. Lack of knowledge. The DQ fan base is fairly tiny outside of Japan. Most people not in it will never know unless we tell people. Spread the word, folks!

I do want to comment on how there is one guy in the Dragon Questers group that will basically say to always buy mobile even if you don't like the controls and find them unplayable. 

• Upvote 1

I love the mobile games.   I have 1-6 and 8 on my and I finished them all.  Some of them I even played several times.  

I purchased DQ 7 and 8 3DS on their release dates but haven’t played either one due to some life issues I was going through at the time with my family.  I still own them both but I would buy the iOS port of DQ 7 whenever it comes out in NA.  I imagine we will get it sometime within the next two years.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bob_the_Almighty said:

I love the mobile games.   I have 1-6 and 8 on my and I finished them all.  Some of them I even played several times.  

I purchased DQ 7 and 8 3DS on their release dates but haven’t played either one due to some life issues I was going through at the time with my family.  I still own them both but I would buy the iOS port of DQ 7 whenever it comes out in NA.  I imagine we will get it sometime within the next two years.  

The next two years is probably true.  They will likely have to alter the code so it ONLY loads one language at a time.  That lag on the 3DS due to loading Japanese format and likely text as well, is a little annoying.  To assure it actually does play smoothly on phones with minimum requirements, that's almost a necessity.  Then again that's the only reason I can see for why it's taking so long.

• Like 1

I hope we eventually get XI on mobile. Playing Dragon Quest on the train makes the time go by so quickly and it's more convenient than the 3ds.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ignasia said:

The next two years is probably true.  They will likely have to alter the code so it ONLY loads one language at a time.  That lag on the 3DS due to loading Japanese format and likely text as well, is a little annoying.  To assure it actually does play smoothly on phones with minimum requirements, that's almost a necessity.  Then again that's the only reason I can see for why it's taking so long.

I assume part of Nintendo handling the 3DS release includes a time period regarding the mobile release.  I don’t see Nintendo footing the bill just to have the iOS and Android versions releasing side-by-side lol. 

I’m sure sometime late this year or sometime 2019 we will see the mobile version. 

Platty would probably remind everybody it's not coming.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Platty would probably remind everybody it's not coming.

You bet I would!

3310da2f5dd4041f1512f56ed6764ec0.jpg

I'll be honest, it is awesome that they release games on as many platforms as possible, but for some reason I can't get myself to play on a mobile/tablet or any device that only has a touchscreen, I'm like, where's the buttons? and I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

I got DQI for 3€ on the amazon apps store which is awesomely dirt cheap, but I think I'll wait until I buy a SNES mini or the GBC cartridge because it feels super clunky to me to play on a tablet, also, I don't even use my tablet that much, mostly for music, so there's that.

Edited by Aurin
  • Like 2

Yeah got the 4th game and will get the rest in time along with the guides available.  Especially since it has arguably the best gameplay version of the Zenithian Trilogy, plus I hear that II on the mobile actually lets you level up the companions a bit more for toughening them up a bit.

52 minutes ago, Aurin said:

I'll be honest, it is awesome that they release games on as many platforms as possible, but for some reason I can't get myself to play on a mobile/tablet or any device that only has a touchscreen, I'm like, where's the buttons? and I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

On 1/31/2018 at 1:16 PM, Democrobot said:

I think there are a few reasons why people don't get the mobile titles

1. They already own a copy of it and don't feel like getting a port (which is fair, not everyone wants to buy multiple copies of the same game)
  2. They can't afford it. There are ways around this by doing surveys and stuff though so for some it could be done
  3. The controls. Some people (like myself) simply do not care for playing on mobile. Nothing against mobile games but they just are not built for me. I like controllers and systems (there is an attachment for some phones that will allow it to work with external controls though I do not know the compatibility of it)
  4. Lack of knowledge. The DQ fan base is fairly tiny outside of Japan. Most people not in it will never know unless we tell people. Spread the word, folks!

I do want to comment on how there is one guy in the Dragon Questers group that will basically say to always buy mobile even if you don't like the controls and find them unplayable. 

Well for number IV I definitely get some annoyance in boarding the ship as it seems you need to press harder, so I'm not denying or rebuking that gripe.  Though compared to say a platformer like Mega Man (though that could be my reaction skills being slow), I guess I just don't see the awkwardness to be liability for a turnbased RPG like Dragon Quest.  But not much else I can say for or against here.

Not being able to afford it, yeah I'd definitely withhold spending if expenses for necessities are tight or another hobby catches your eye.

Regarding number 1, I kind of look at number 4 as a reason to double dip if money or phone space isn't an issue.  I mean as sucky as it is, being a fan of a niche does arguably mean having to help the franchise a little bit to show the higher ups that taking a risk on it might not be a liability to them.

Still in the spirit of fairness, I can appreciate not buying every version of each game, I would at least say that II, IV and VI are something to consider as they actually make some changes from GBC/DS Versions such as:

II- Allowing you to level up your companions to Level 50, thus allowing them to be a little stronger than previous versions.

IV- Readding the party chat which the DS release lacked in the US, plus being able to complete the bonus town before the Post-Game.

VI- Adjusting the level caps a bit, which helps so you can level up a bit more for a major boss fight early on without worrying too much about overshooting.

And if nothing else, if you have any friends or family interested in classic games (or remade classics), including RPG, you could always give them some gift money for the sake of trying any available games.

I absolutely love I-VI and VIII on mobile. It's terrible we haven't gotten VII yet. If we don't see it by the time XI releases, I'll probably just pick it up  on the Japan App Store and watch a 3DS play through to figure the story out. Also, it is frustrating that the DS version isn't making it over to the West. I really wish we could at least get that 2D version on mobile. Or the full DS package. Stranger things have happened... like FFXV Pocket Edition! I dreamed we'd get a mobile version of XV, and then we did! So, I will dare to dream again. ;)

ALSO, Square-Enix have already updated I-III on mobile to fill the iPhone X screen. So, thankfully, they seem to be committed to keeping the series alive on mobile.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, curtneedsaride said:

I absolutely love I-VI and VIII on mobile. It's terrible we haven't gotten VII yet. If we don't see it by the time XI releases, I'll probably just pick it up  on the Japan App Store and watch a 3DS play through to figure the story out. Also, it is frustrating that the DS version isn't making it over to the West. I really wish we could at least get that 2D version on mobile. Or the full DS package. Stranger things have happened... like FFXV Pocket Edition! I dreamed we'd get a mobile version of XV, and then we did! So, I will dare to dream again. ;)

ALSO, Square-Enix have already updated I-III on mobile to fill the iPhone X screen. So, thankfully, they seem to be committed to keeping the series alive on mobile.

I really, REALLY wish they release XI for the 3DS because it looks A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Altho being realistic I'm starting to think it's not going to happen. :(

• Like 1