Looking for a foundation: DQ builders continuations!

Hey everyone! Hope everyone has a great new years!

With that out of the way, i have two rather interesting builders questions:

(1) Since DQ builders 2 is in development, what would you to see in this sequel( story wise, gameplay changes, etc)?

(2) For a potential DQ builders 3, which game in the Zenithian trilogy should the game take place at?

I only got halfway through Builders. Well, maybe 60%... but I plan to fix that in 2018.

Id like the big chest available earlier in the chapters.

I'd like to see DQVIII be the setting. Rebuild Neos. Make it so the damn clown did some more damage or took over. Heck, have 7 chapters for the 7 sages.

They should have one for DQ7. Instead of reviving the islands, you rebuild them.

I liked Builders, but I also think there's a ton of room for improvement. Here's a post I made on Reddit some time back with some of the stuff I thought could have made a better game, and that I would hope to see in the sequel:

I really wish the gameplay structure was a lot more open! The Minecraft formula pretty much lends itself to sandbox gameplay, and while I love the mission based goals of the original DQB I feel that it's way too limiting in its structure. The entire game is basically just one long tutorial with tasks that you finish as ordered one by one, giving you pretty much no room to tackle them the way you want. And when you get to Terra Incognita you have the opposite issue, with no real incentives to go and do anything.

A good change could be, as others also suggested, a less segregated world. I think you could keep teleportals, and the "starting over" concept with regards to items (but not recipes). Imagine that you have something like Terra Incognita as a "hub world", and you can freely travel between this and various other regions similar to the chapters in the original game, but you aren't allowed to bring items when you travel until you've completely finished each region's storyline, which would open up new possibilities for the hub world in a much more natural fashion. Basically whenever you have completed one region, it becomes a part of the overarching world, including everything you've built there.

It would also allow you to approach the game in a much more nonlinear fashion, taking up the quests as you feel like, maybe with some also appearing in the hub world and requiring you to explore some of the other regions on your own to learn specific things. And instead of having a single line of tasks to finish you could have multiple ongoing questlines even within the same region, and maybe some much larger, overarching goals that you'll slowly work your way towards by building larger projects. I feel like this would also make the game feel a lot more like an RPG, which is obviously fitting for the DQ franchise.

Edited by Sumez

I kinda like the idea, because working something up from zero is kind of the best thing about Minecraft (I assume we're calling a spade a spade here, DQB is based on Minecraft, for better or worse). So getting to start over has a very strong appeal to me. If you played Breath of the Wild, it does something similar in a place called Eventide island, which is one of the coolest quests of the game.

The issue with "starting from scratch" is that it also implies losing everything you've worked on, which makes a big part of the game feel kind of pointless, and eliminates my desire to build something cool while playing the chapters. I think the idea I posted above is probably the best way you can eliminate that problem while still retaining the fun aspect of getting to build something from nothing over again.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:17 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

They should have one for DQ7. Instead of reviving the islands, you rebuild them.

I actually thought this would be cool back when I first played the Vita demo.

Haven't they already confirmed that DQB2 is going to be based on Dragon Quest 2? If that's the case, it only makes sense to have DQB3 be based on the third part of the Erdrick Trilogy.

I think DQ builders 3 won't be based on the 3th game mainly because, chronologically, the DQ 3's event already occurred (since it is first in the trilogy). 

I think that DQ builders 3 should be based on DQ 6. They could do so much the the dreams idea.

I think DQ builders 3 won't be based on the 3th game mainly because, chronologically, the DQ 3's event already occurred (since it is first in the trilogy). 
I think that DQ builders 3 should be based on DQ 6. They could do so much the the dreams idea.
You're dreaming!