Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Your Most Anticipated Game(s) of 2018

The new year is almost upon us, fellow Denizens! We've had a topic talking about our favorite games of 2017 (curtesy of TheKingOfTheDragovians), so it's time to switch gears and look toward the new year!

So, what game or games are you looking forward to in 2018?

Here's my list:

1. Monster Hunter: World - The newest entry to the Monster Hunter series. After playing the Beta of the game, I'm incredibly excited for Monster Hunter's return to home consoles! The gameplay and controls feel great, the changes I've seen feel like a good evolution to a few areas while remaining true to what draws players to Monster Hunter, and the planned free updates to add new monsters and the like makes me excited for a full year of Monster Hunting! Plus this game comes out on January 26th, the same day Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars released in the USA in 2010. Seeing as that's one of my favorite games of all time, it seems like a good sign for Monster Hunter: World.

2. Shadow of the Colossus (PS4 Remake) - I first played SotC in 2015, and really found myself enjoying the game. I had heard good things about it but tried not to overhype it for myself. Thankfully it turned out to be a really good game, and seeing a full remake is coming for PS4 has me looking forward to experiencing the game again. I enjoyed the minimal story and how the game makes you question the entire journey and goal of your character. Maybe playing this remake will finally get me to finally playing The Last Guardian...

3. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - Strange Journey is not only one of my favorite Atlus games, but one of my favorite games of all time. It was a game that, despite the challenge, I found myself wanting to keep pushing forward to see the bizarre world of the Schwartzwelt and the further interactions of the crew. It became a game I adored, so I was happy to see Atlus was planning to expand in the game with the Redux version. Adding new story elements, new ending possibilities, full voice acting, and other additions, I've avoided all I could so as not to spoil the game for myself. While there's not an official release date planned, it is scheduled for 2018. My guess it will be 2 or 3 months after Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology's release (which is in February), but whatever the case I'm looking forward to diving back in for another Strange Journey!

4. Dragon Quest Builders (on Switch) - I enjoyed Builders on my PS4, but I wish I could play it on the go since it feels like a game I would invest more time in on a handheld. By luck we found out about the Switch version, and now it's coming to the west in February! It's going to be a game I will gladly double dip on buying, both to support Dragon Quest and to help break in my Switch whenever I get one.

(Plus I want to use those Slime face parts that will be in the Switch version to put them on random objects while playing...)

5: Catherine: Full Body - What a shock, ANOTHER Atlus game on my list! I never had the chance to play the original release of the game on PS3/Xbox 360, so I'm happy Atlus is going there usual route to re-release the game with a lot of new content. The puzzle gameplay has me interested, and I'm curious what the story of the game will be, both in regards to the original and the changes to this new version.

Other than those few, my other two choices that spring to mind are Shin Megami Tensei V and Dragon Quest XI. However, since we don't exactly know if those games will reach us in 2018, I decided to not list them. I'm hoping we'll get them in 2018 though! Catherine might be in the same boat, but I have a feeling we'll get the game this year.

Also, I feel like there were some other games I was looking forward to in 2018, but I can't remember what they all were right now.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Very few games I care about. Even less that I'd buy day one.

Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus, Ni no Kuni, Catherine, DQ XI if it comes that year. Omega Labyrinth definitely though. The wait for that game is so...hard.

I'm mainly going to be focusing on my backlog in 2018.

As of right now, just DQXI for me. If I end up getting a Switch I think the list will expand.

• Like 1

Oh! I remembered one of the games I couldn't think of before! One was Dreams, the newest game from Media Molecule.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

For the moment, the list is comprised of:

God of War, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest XI. 

Stuff will get added (or removed) as release dates get finalized.

DQXI and God of War no doubt.

DQXI
SMT Strange Journey
Radiant Historia
Ni No Kuni 2

The more my backlog grows though (I never had much of one until I got my Vita and started getting digital games on sale), I think only DQXI will be day 1. Going to cancel preorders on others and just get them used/on sale later.

4 hours ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

For the moment, the list is comprised of:

God of War, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest XI. 

Stuff will get added (or removed) as release dates get finalized.

You're crazy if you actually think we're getting Kingdom Hearts in 2018.

In no particular order:

Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology

The Alliance Alive

Shin Megami Tensei 5 (IS this one next year or 2019?)

Dragon Quest XI

(possibly ) Code Vein

Catherine: Full Body (assuming a global release, it's announced for Japan winter 2018)

Monster Hunter World

Not sure if I've missed anything, but looking forward to seeing what else is on offer this year!

3 hours ago, eal said:

You're crazy if you actually think we're getting Kingdom Hearts in 2018.

Nope. Late 2018 is quite reasonable, and 2018 is the currently expected release year. 

1 hour ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Nope. Late 2018 is quite reasonable, and 2018 is the currently expected release year. 

If it comes out in 2018, I'll PayPal you $10.

If it comes out in 2018, I'll PayPal you $10.
Quoted for posterity.

Put it in your signature if you're so inclined.

Edited by eal

Obviously my most anticipated is Dragon Quest XI and Dragon Quest Builders 2. But considering how we haven't gotten much news out of them... I'm increasingly pessimistic about that 2018 date.

So let's go with the "yes it's actually coming" list. 

• Dragon Ball Fighter Z 
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Indivisible 
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux

My year is uncertain so I'll probably work on my backlog like everyone else. 

43 minutes ago, Imutone said:

• Indivisible 

Is this game finally going to be released? I was excited to play it, especially after the demo on PS4 and it's made by the team who did Skullgirls, but not much has been said about the game for a long time.

Dragon Quest XI is all I can think of at the moment.

There are a ton of games that are already out that I want to play.

I should probably work through my backlog next year, but I'm too much of a "spur of the moment," kind of gamer!

I do want to get around to playing through some non-new releases games though, like the Uncharted series. I've had Uncharted 4 since I bought my PS4 and only recently got the Nathan Drake collection. Really need to get around to checking out Naughty Dog's other games outside the original Crash Bandicoot Trilogy!

• Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux
  • Shin Megami Tensei V whenever I get a Switch
  • Fire Emblem 2018
  • Kingdom Hearts 3 if I manage to get through the games by the time it comes out
  • Dragon Ball Fighter Z
  • I'm interested in Death Stranding
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Find a creative outlet
  • Pursue my dreams

Now those last two probably have more to do with life, but if life is a game they say I can't win, I'll never amount to nothing(someone please get this reference.

Also 2018's when I'm gonna have a new profile picture related to the theme of Kings. Kind of already started in a way, my current profile picture is the Washuu King.

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Is this game finally going to be released? I was excited to play it, especially after the demo on PS4 and it's made by the team who did Skullgirls, but not much has been said about the game for a long time.

Well, they are SAYING 2018. Still at the TBD status but considering how the staff constantly updates social media pages, I have faith they will deliver sometime this year.  Could be as late as December and I would not mind. At least they are active unlike SOME companies I know... 

No games that I'm super excited about yet. I just keep crossing my fingers and hoping for a new Breath of Fire game...that isn't a mobile title...

Edit: Actually, I lied. Forgot that Strange Journey is coming out next year. It's by far my favorite SMT game, and I really hope they don't screw things up with the remake.

Edited by BorisTheWizard

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I should probably work through my backlog next year, but I'm too much of a "spur of the moment," kind of gamer!

I do want to get around to playing through some non-new releases games though, like the Uncharted series. I've had Uncharted 4 since I bought my PS4 and only recently got the Nathan Drake collection. Really need to get around to checking out Naughty Dog's other games outside the original Crash Bandicoot Trilogy!

Use Backloggery.

2 hours ago, BorisTheWizard said:

Edit: Actually, I lied. Forgot that Strange Journey is coming out next year. It's by far my favorite SMT game, and I really hope they don't screw things up with the remake.

I'm liking all the people looking forward to Strange Journey Redux and SMTV.

• Like 1

Hmm...I haven't done much if any checking into up and coming games.

Let's see.  Bloodborne 2 was clearly teased, though likely chance of a 2018 winter release is still small, it is possible.

Ni No Kuni 2

Xenoblade Chronicles X is likely to get it's Switch port confirmed this year, and given the time it took to finish XBC on the New 3DS, and that for X they won't require a downgrade save for portable mode...it will likely be faster out the door, so it IS possible for a Spring announcement and Fall/Winter 2018 release.

Lost Sphear

Secret of Mana (remake)

Red Dead Redemption 2

Dragon Quest XI (3DS and PS4 for sure)

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology

Alliance Alive

Edited by ignasia