DQB1 (Switch) to be released on 9 Feb 2018

Wow, that is cool. Wait, how is it we are getting it before Japan?

6 minutes ago, Woodus said:

I would say it's because they secretly like us more, but that's just a lie consider the Dragon Quest Dark Age we had from (late) 2011 till 2015.

That being said, I am glad we're getting the game soon. This will be a good one to pick up for the Switch since I've enjoyed it on PS4. Maybe I'll play the game some more if I have it on a system that can be a handheld.

46 minutes ago, Imutone said:

Wow, surprisingly sooner than expected. 

Worried about sales since Nintendo fans are more prone to saying dumb stuff like, "Is this a Minecraft clone?" 

So far, I haven't seen anyone asking if DQB was a Minecraft clone. But then again, I may not be looking far enough.

I feel like a good chunk of DQ fans are Nintendo fans as well, since most DQ games are released on Nintendo consoles.

53 minutes ago, Imutone said:

Wow, surprisingly sooner than expected. 

Worried about sales since Nintendo fans are more prone to saying dumb stuff like, "Is this a Minecraft clone?" 

Minecraft clones sell pretty well, that's why there's a thousand of them. And none of them are on Switch. I think it will find it's audience in the West on Switch. 

I wonder if they'll promote this release like PS4? Anyone have a contact in the frozen yogurt industry? :P

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Safushi said:

Don't look at the replies of those two tweets if you don't want a headache. 

Yeesh, you weren't kidding. Some of those are really bad. For some reason some people here in the west are really toxic towards Dragon Quest.

2 hours ago, Woodus said:

Probably 'cause localization's pretty much done and Nintendo US and UK have different promotional times than Japan does. This fits right in with their February window.

Some random trivia I just found out: the western Switch release of Builders won't have a demo for it, whereas the Japanese release will be getting a demo on February 1st. Seems like they get a demo since they have to wait until March for their release of the game.

Kind of strange they don't throw a demo up for the western release for those who aren't sure, but I figured it was worth sharing that little tidbit.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/12/18/dragon-quest-builders-heads-west-february-2018/

5 hours ago, Dakhil said:

So far, I haven't seen anyone asking if DQB was a Minecraft clone. But then again, I may not be looking far enough.

Yeah, no reason to ask. It should be pretty obvious to anyone that it is. :) 

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I would say it's because they secretly like us more, but that's just a lie consider the Dragon Quest Dark Age we had from (late) 2011 till 2015.

That being said, I am glad we're getting the game soon. This will be a good one to pick up for the Switch since I've enjoyed it on PS4. Maybe I'll play the game some more if I have it on a system that can be a handheld.

Your Vita is in a closet crying right now. :laugh:

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Your Vita is in a closet crying right now. :laugh:

They should have released a physical version of Builders for Vita here in the west then. As much as I'd like it for my Vita, I don't really want a download copy of it unless I get another memory card for my Vita. If only they weren't so expensive. I'm sure eal can relate to how pricey they can be.

I bought my Vita just for Builders. Unfortunately it stopped working after it shared a backpack with some leaky sunscreen. I won't make that mistake again.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed the demo a lot! Played through the whole thing yesterday and then just tinkered around for a while in the area. Will definitely be buying this next month.

I'm curious--are the maps for DQB based on the ones from the original game? I looked at an 8-bit map of the Cantlin area and it does sort of feel like the first area in DQB--town near woods and plains with some impenetrable mountains in the way and a swamp behind it. Is there a comparison image or video for the locations?

Yes they are. The world map in DQB is very clearly the same shape as the one for DQ1, with every town in the same location. Every area in DQB also has a map that will let you see where in the world you are. It's actually quite useless, but you'll see that they correspond to the landscape you see on the NES map.

I don't remember where DQB puts those locations, but I'm assuming the desert area in chapter 1 is the one where you find the ruins of Hauksness, and the mountain area with the rockbombs is probably the rocky area north of Cantlin:

dw1-over2.gif

I'd point out some even more obvious relations, but if you've only played chapter 1, that would be sort-of spoiling Builders.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1