Sign in to follow this  
Lightpost

Do you think the Localization Team needs to fancy up the Menus?

Do you think the Localization Team needs to fancy up the Menus?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

fhfemyno2g301.png

*These rounded fonts I used isn't the actual ones the series uses but this is the closest one (I think) I could find and sadly, it doesn't do justice to the official Roman fonts of the Japanese version -- the one I used is wider than the official fonts the games use.

For some reason, the fonts look really rough around the edges -- I don't know why Adobe Illustrator doesn't apply anti-aliasing to the fonts when exported to PNG. The rounded fonts looks really good prior to exporting.

Also, DQ X's rounded Roman fonts looks a lot nicer to look at than the New Times Roman-ish fonts DQ VIII (English version) used.

Personally, I'd rather have them stick to the ones the Japanese version uses (and have them just focus on the translation instead.

If they do insist on using fancy menus, I hope they won't remove the existing ones. Instead, it would be better if they keep it and give us the option to choose it as a "theme"
-- since this series is almost like a throw-back to those classic JRPGs where we could choose different styles for the menu backgrounds (wood, marble, leaves, etc.) and even change the shading/colors on some games.

Edited by Lightpost

I hope not, Dragon Quest menus are a long-established tradition and virtually a convention. They're pretty functional and accesible, I don't see a reason to complicate them. Plus, they beef up the humble aura of the IP. Square Enix will probably changed them, though, since they don't use to respect these things.

No. Not for the reason you have listed for the "No," option though.

Switching fonts doesn't really speed up localization time. The name of the Roman font they're using escapes me at the moment, but it's been used for over a decade now and they know what works. Same with the DS fonts.

I appreciate what the localization team tried to do with VIII, but it wasn't necessary. It actually took longer to go through the menus and it slowed down the game. If anything, the old paper background for the text boxes would be great.

Since it's a vector graphics program, anti-aliasing fonts really isn't Adobe Illustrator's thing. You can rasterize the layer, but it will probably still turn out eh.

1 hour ago, Dwaine said:

Switching fonts doesn't really speed up localization time. The name of the Roman font they're using escapes me at the moment, but it's been used for over a decade now and they know what works. Same with the DS fonts.

I appreciate what the localization team tried to do with VIII, but it wasn't necessary. It actually took longer to go through the menus and it slowed down the game. If anything, the old paper background for the text boxes would be great.

Since it's a vector graphics program, anti-aliasing fonts really isn't Adobe Illustrator's thing. You can rasterize the layer, but it will probably still turn out eh.

I used New Times Roman for this one. I'll try to look up the exact ones used in DQ Heroes. 

Also....

YJDGNBE.jpg

Though it might be interesting, I'm hoping that they won't copy FF XV's full-screen, entire-party-in-a-room style for the Command Menu (Items, Equipment, etc.) even if they manage to get the PS4 Pro to instantly load it -- I remember two occasions in FF XV where I had to wait more than 3 minutes for the party and menu selections to load up; all I had was that stupid room and menu background music playing, thinking whether to terminate and relaunch the game or just wait it out. 

I actually like how the Japanese version kinda adapted the parchment paper theme from DQ VIII and started using it since DQ IX but still retained the black text boxes for some stuff. 

The rounded Roman characters DQ X uses actually doesn't look bad. I've been Googling if someone was able to rip the DQ X fonts to no avail so I had to settle with "Heisei Maru" but the fonts are too wide compared to the offical DQ Roman fonts.

I'll try to create more mock-up images for other menus that use the black text boxes.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

No. Not for the reason you have listed for the "No," option though.

Would you mind sharing your reason why? (I'm guessing it's because of the load times or maybe the top one (medieval style) doesn't look as nice as the ones in DQ VIII ) :-)

EDIT: 

I was actually trying to mimic the clean look of the rounded Roman characters of the official Japanese font set but I didn't bother to tweak the color, size and character/line spacing some more.

Also, I just remembered how Builders basically kept the same look as the Japanese version's: 

Dragon+Quest+Builders+3.jpg

Dragon-Quest-Builders-Terra-Incognita.jp

Though the fonts used in Builders are on the Comic Sans side, the overall clean look definitely has a unique charm to it.

I prefer this over the more fancy, medieval style theme -- which I badly failed to mimic for my mock-up image.

Edited by Lightpost
Update

I'll be the rebel here and say how much I loved the menus in DQVIII PS2. Everyone was complaining about them, but they were so awesome. I thought it helped modernize the DQ universe a bit. I guess I should've voted to have an option, but I loved the paper menus so much (and don't recall any slowdown), I just had to go with #1. 

Nevermind.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

No, keep them as is. An option for either would be fine, but I greatly prefer the old look.

DQVIII PS2's menus looked great but that slow down it brought with it was annoying.

Edited by Psi Rockin Beta

I don't think DQ menus need to be "modernized" in any extreme sense. But what the hell keeps them from using icons? It helps so much with quickly discerning what you're looking at when it comes to a huge list of special abilities and inventory. It seems the PS4 version does have very simple icons to indicate if something is equipment or usable item, etc. But why not use something more indicative? It's not that I don't like reading text, but it really helps when glancing over long lists, and makes the experience more smooth and intuitive.

Skyrim pulled a similar trick compared to Oblivion which had icons/thumbnails for everything. The menu might look much more modern and sleek, but it's way more cumbersome to use. I'm not a fan of having to load a full screen menu in DQ8, but I love everything else about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

It seems the PS4 version does have very simple icons to indicate if something is equipment or usable item, etc. But why not use something more indicative? It's not that I don't like reading text, but it really helps when glancing over long lists, and makes the experience more smooth and intuitive.

You can call up a picture of the item with extra detail in the PS4 version. Not as nice as having it right there next to the initial text, though.

• Upvote 1

Yes, but only becouse I really like the look of them in 8 on the ps2. It has nothing to do with them not looking western enough, and I don't dislike the traditional test boxes, but minimalistic will never be my first choice. 

17 hours ago, Sumez said:

.... But why not use something more indicative? It's not that I don't like reading text, but it really helps when glancing over long lists, and makes the experience more smooth and intuitive.

You mean like this? :-)

dqbuilders_crafting-e1457361032654.jpg

Dragon+Quest+Builders+6.jpg

*The DQ Builder menus for me is a perfect blend of the clean, classic DQ menus and the English DQ VIII parchment paper theme.

Now that I've seen this again, I wondered why they didn't adapt this for DQ XI but then I remembered how they didn't have enough time to touch up everything so I guess that's why they stuck to DQ X-style category icons.

Edited by Lightpost
Added another example photo

Exactly like that

I actually think the DQ Builders menu has a lot of other problems, but it's a great example of how to use pictures to indicate each item in the list, without it looking clunky.

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Exactly like that

I actually think the DQ Builders menu has a lot of other problems, but it's a great example of how to use pictures to indicate each item in the list, without it looking clunky.

I'd never thought of it, but yeah, that's a great blend!

Personally, all I think they should change (besides the language, of course) is the font - to something resembling DQ8 3DS's battle narration font. It's a rather nice and thematically fitting font, where as the font used in the Japanese releases feels bland and generic, at least when used to display English text. To me, Dragon Quest's menu system is part of the games' charm. Stylistically minimalist, but highly intuitive - there's never any question as to what does what. No frills to distract you from your quest. Instant, seamless transition from moving around the map to menu use and back - and, with the exception of DQI+II GBC and DQM1 GBC (for whatever reason - we know the system can handle displaying menus over the map, as seen in DQIII and both versions of DQM2), you never lose sight of your character/party and what's going on around them, keeping you fully immersed at all times.

• Upvote 1

Correction to my last post: DWM2 (Tara and Cobi) are the only GBC DQ game to have menus appear on the map screen. For some reason even DQ3 displays the menus on a white background.