Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Never played Dark Souls 1? In that case, remastered is a no-brainer.

I think most of these are good choices, except I admit that regret paying that much for Radiant Historia. It's a fine game, but really not worth prioritizing over so much other good stuff. Ys VIII however, is worth every penny.

Nioh should be available very cheap by now, I got it new for around $13 more than half a year ago.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

-Monster Hunter World - Comes out next month on the 26th. -Tearaway Unfolded -Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy -Bloodborne. I know you already mentioned it, but it needs mentioning again

Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom is my new recommendation. I absolutely loved the game from start to finish, and thanks to some new updates the game now has multiple difficulty options to address the ea

No problem, lol. I haven't looked through all the posts in this thread, but I HIGHLY recommend Persona 5 and Bloodborne. They were literally the reason I bought a PS4 though, so I may be a tad biased.

Posted Images

Dragon Quest Builders

Rocket League

Overcooked

eventually DQXI

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Liamland said:

Dragon Quest Builders

Rocket League

Overcooked

eventually DQXI

Overcooked is a definite no. Maybe one day, but it doesn't interest me.

Rocket League is hilarious.  I'm going to avoid it for now, as I know I'll become addicted quickly and likely not finish up a lot of other projects, lol, but a really suggestion.  Car Soccer, lol.  Why play with feet when you've got wheels?

DQXI is already pre-ordered, so no worries there.

Hmm, maybe I might just go Builders + Heroes 2 for now, though Builders looks like it'll be around for a low price for awhile, as it's more popular than Heroes 1 and 2.  I mean I'm not that much of a Minecraft fan, but the play style intrigues me immensely, plus the alternative universe scenario.

After my 3D0 sells, I'm definitely gunning for a Switch, and at least BotW and I might just ignore YS8 PS4 and get the Switch version.

 

I'm just really not totally sold on anything right now except XBC X and 2...and I'll have to wait awhile before I can afford to get a refurbished or a rare new and untouched Wii U for a reasonable price.

I should note one thing.  30 of those dollars is in Amazon Gift cards, so it has to be something from Amazon.

9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Rune Factory 4. Easy.

Yeah, I was laughing as I typed that as I knew you'd jump on board with it.  It's a great and highly underrated series.  Definitely more fun than Harvest Moon while still retaining a lot of those HM elements.

14 hours ago, Sumez said:

Never played Dark Souls 1? In that case, remastered is a no-brainer.

I think most of these are good choices, except I admit that regret paying that much for Radiant Historia. It's a fine game, but really not worth prioritizing over so much other good stuff. Ys VIII however, is worth every penny.

Nioh should be available very cheap by now, I got it new for around $13 more than half a year ago.

I have, but I don't own a copy, and the remaster looks amazing.  Though I should say I still haven't played Skyrim.  So that's a possibility as well.  PS4 version anyway.  I'd need to wait for funds to either fix my personal rigs, or build a new gaming rig for $800.

Yeah...that's the thing.  As much as I enjoy Bloodborne and the times I've played the Dark Souls games, or watched my friends or my sister's ex play them, YS 8 is...well, I love YS almost as much as I love DQ.  I mean of all the potential game series there are options for me to play, Ys is really really up there.  Ni Oh is about 15 ~ 20 from what I've seen at this point.  Probably due to lower stock and more demand?  Especially given Ni Oh 2 coming out, or just expectations that Ni Oh 2 will sell well, so time to push Ni Oh a bit.

 

I guess I should rewrite that list up a bit, in order of what I'd be more interested in to see maybe if that might give me some direction.  Half the reason is three days ago Heroes 2 had 12 copies, now there's 4 left.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BorisTheWizard said:

Am I able to recommend Warframe? Digital Extremes are basically a Godlike developer right now...

Not up for online play, but it is free, lol.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Not up for online play, but it is free, lol.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

No problem, lol. I haven't looked through all the posts in this thread, but I HIGHLY recommend Persona 5 and Bloodborne. They were literally the reason I bought a PS4 though, so I may be a tad biased...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom is my new recommendation. I absolutely loved the game from start to finish, and thanks to some new updates the game now has multiple difficulty options to address the ease of the default difficulty. Still no word on the DLC though, but hopefully we’ll hear something soon.

Anyway, I found the game a lot of fun. It gave me a Dragon Quest kind of vibe. There isn’t a huge amount of character development from the main cast, but they are all fun to play as thanks to their different skill sets and focuses. It is a game that seems to be hit and miss with people, but I’m on the hit side for sure. I went and platinumed the game, so that should tell you how much I liked it. Not to mention that gameplay journal I had going on while I was playing it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got nowhere else to share this, and since this has long since become the “general PS4 discussion” topic, I thought I’d bring up Caligula Effect Overdose, an HD remaster of the Vita game. It supposedly runs better is improved overall.

It’s essentially a Persona-like game. Even has a Social Link-esque system where you can recruit NPCs after you’ve become associated with them. It was written by the original Persona writer.

I looked forward to playing it on Vita until it went digital only, and when I got a bigger memory card and I tossed around the idea of buying it on sale, I decided to just wait for the inevitable PS4 version’s arrival.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

^The Vita version has a number of problems from my understanding, so the PS4 version is the way to go. It’s funny Atlus USA isn’t publishing the PS4 version since they did for the Vita version.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll toss in my recommendation of the Secret of Mana remake. It got a lot of flak from people, but I think it's a damn fine remake.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you can't go wrong with Dark Souls ignasia. I'll toss my hat in the ring for Nier Automata if you haven't played it. It's got good gameplay and a story that likes to wax philosophical at times. If your into Deep™ and Poetic™ stuff it's your kind of game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy is a definite must-buy. Though if you have a decent PC (~4+ GHz, GeForce GTX 960 or better) I'd recommend that version over the PS4 version, as you can turn off the motion blur and turn the framelimit up to 60 (or turn off the framelimit via 3rd party applications). Plus, there's already some basic mods for the game and I expect bigger and better things from the Crash modding community in the not-too-distant future.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On your list, I'd say DQH/2, DQH2/3DS RPG, SMTIV/Apocalypse, DQH2/PS4 game, Dark Souls, Radiant Historia or put it towards a Switch.

And after a Switch, get DQ Builders and Ys VIII on that, which despite some technical hiccups I think is great.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys.

Ok...I've worked it down to:

  • Nier
  • Ni No Kuni 2
  • Dark Souls
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 2 + PS4 RPG or 3DS RPG...

Not getting SMT unless I get both at once.  I'll be able to do that later, and they'll likely be around for awhile longer given Persona success does bleed into SMT.

Apparently Amazon has more copies of DQH2 now, as they're no longer stating how many are left.

Let's see, in no particular order, for PS4 or 3DS game:

  • Bravely Second
  • Persona Q
  • Etrian Odyssey V
  • Ni-Oh
  • Tales of Berseria

Gonna think on it tonight.  Since I no longer have to worry about DQH2 running out of free shipping stock it shouldn't be too much of an issue.  I was also contemplating the few DS RPG's and some other older out of print 3DS RPG's, but no case for a reasonable price...and 3~9 pages of just no cases, and the cases start and double to quadruple the price, and it's just insane.  So stupid.  I'd have to buy a special 3DS cart holder just for that.  I may have to once I can afford to collect again (to play of course, at some point, lol).

5 hours ago, BorisTheWizard said:

No problem, lol. I haven't looked through all the posts in this thread, but I HIGHLY recommend Persona 5 and Bloodborne. They were literally the reason I bought a PS4 though, so I may be a tad biased...

Already have Bloodborne...actually farming in it right now.  For my second game I want a nice cushion of stats before killing everything, instead of just rushing through it, plus farming is fun when it means I get upgrade stones for weapons, and sweet revenge against the Snatchers.  The only other game I do have for the PS4 thus far is FF12.  DQ11 is my third "purchase."

Edited by ignasia
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would honestly say that, of that list, you’d probably like Nier Automata the most. It has a lot to chew on, it has great combat, and it lends itself to 100s of hours of playtime, despite only requiring about 25 to beat it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eal said:

I would honestly say that, of that list, you’d probably like Nier Automata the most. It has a lot to chew on, it has great combat, and it lends itself to 100s of hours of playtime, despite only requiring about 25 to beat it.

Decided I'm going to sit on things for a bit until I have enough to afford the following together:

  1.  Switch
  2.  Ys VIII (I think I'll take Tiael's suggestion and go Switch version)
  3.  XBC2
  4.  DQ11 Switch
  5.  One other game at the very least...probably Octopath Traveler, as I actually really want to play that game

As much as I like the gameplay for Nier and even Ni Oh, and even though I'm a little more interested in Heroes 2, after sleeping on it, and thinking about it all day, I'm not sold on anything to the point where I feel like rushing out to get it when my fund levels are this low atm.

I really appreciate the help.  I definitely have a much better idea of what I want.  If I keep racking up cash after selling old stuff I no longer want, I'll probably splurge a bit on other games on top of those.  I need to get a second 3DS to complete my DQVII faq (no exceptions on this unfortunately), I actually want to get a 3rd copy of DQ7 3DS and make a third super Kiefer for the hell of it...because it's easily one of the most fun things I've ever done in any videogame in the past 20 years.  No joke.  The challenge of soloing with Kiefer and setting up a near perfect save is pretty invigorating.

I'm fairly sure I know what direction I want to take after that in terms of overall direction of game purchases now after the above in order of personal desire

  1. Etrian Odyssey V + Fafnir Knight
  2. SMT V + Apocalypse
  3. Odin Sphere
  4. Nier
  5. Ni-Oh
  6. Ni No Kuni 2
  7. Persona Q
  8. Tales of Vesperia and Berseria
  9. Skyrim PS4
  10. DSi XL + second 3DS
  11. DQ Heroes 2 + 1
  12. Rune Factory 4
  13. Secret of Mana PS4
  14. Dark Souls remaster
  15. Dark Souls III
  16. Upcoming games...
  17. Bravely Default + Bravely Second
  18. Other games on the original lists I haven't covered or thought of yet...both here and in the main 3DS game topic, and even the Switch game topic (wait, do we have one?, I should check later).
  19. Crash Bandicoot + other platformer games I don't have, like New Super Mario Bros...to round out my collection and have something else to resort to when I'm sick of RPGs.
  20. 3DS, DS, Wii, etc. games I've wanted for awhile, but haven't gotten around to buying...like Arc Rise Fantasia and I Am Setsuna

 

@eal  Caligula Effect definitely interests me.  I'll definitely have to check it out later.  There are a few other oddball RPG's I haven't heard of that I'm seeing from Amazon in my suggestions feed after looking at different games.

@Erdrick The Hero  Not at the moment.  My computer is rather...oh, shall we say, basic.  My good computers I have no idea if they can run anything current.  My old laptop, which I fried myself in poorly trying to fix the mobo (didn't use flux, and I wish I had, because I could have easily fixed it with that stuff...but I didn't even know about that stuff at the time, but even with the hulking behemoth soldering iron I could have fixed my issue fairly easily with it.  My computers were mid-tier gaming rigs back in 2008, but not sure how well they'd hold up now.  I'm going to have to wait until I can make a mid-tier gaming rig, then eventually get a good voltmeter and work out where the problems are on machines I have, as I'd like to have a 3rd computer running Win XP pro again, just as a gaming rig for the older games I have...and other programs that work better in a true 32-bit environment.

As for Crash...yeah I should at some point.  I still have the first game.

@Fates  Good idea.

Edited by ignasia
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ignasia said:

1. Etrian Odyssey V + Fafnir Knight

Excellent starting point. 👍

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Decided I'm going to sit on things for a bit until I have enough to afford the following together:

  1.  Switch
  2.  Ys VIII (I think I'll take Tiael's suggestion and go Switch version)
  3.  XBC2
  4.  DQ11 Switch
  5.  One other game at the very least...probably Octopath Traveler, as I actually really want to play that game

As much as I like the gameplay for Nier and even Ni Oh, and even though I'm a little more interested in Heroes 2, after sleeping on it, and thinking about it all day, I'm not sold on anything to the point where I feel like rushing out to get it when my fund levels are this low atm.

I really appreciate the help.  I definitely have a much better idea of what I want.  If I keep racking up cash after selling old stuff I no longer want, I'll probably splurge a bit on other games on top of those.  I need to get a second 3DS to complete my DQVII faq (no exceptions on this unfortunately), I actually want to get a 3rd copy of DQ7 3DS and make a third super Kiefer for the hell of it...because it's easily one of the most fun things I've ever done in any videogame in the past 20 years.  No joke.  The challenge of soloing with Kiefer and setting up a near perfect save is pretty invigorating.

I'm fairly sure I know what direction I want to take after that in terms of overall direction of game purchases now after the above in order of personal desire

  1. Etrian Odyssey V + Fafnir Knight
  2. SMT V + Apocalypse
  3. Odin Sphere
  4. Nier
  5. Ni-Oh
  6. Ni No Kuni 2
  7. Persona Q
  8. Tales of Vesperia and Berseria
  9. Skyrim PS4
  10. DSi XL + second 3DS
  11. DQ Heroes 2 + 1
  12. Rune Factory 4
  13. Secret of Mana PS4
  14. Dark Souls remaster
  15. Dark Souls III
  16. Upcoming games...
  17. Bravely Default + Bravely Second
  18. Other games on the original lists I haven't covered or thought of yet...both here and in the main 3DS game topic, and even the Switch game topic (wait, do we have one?, I should check later).
  19. Crash Bandicoot + other platformer games I don't have, like New Super Mario Bros...to round out my collection and have something else to resort to when I'm sick of RPGs.
  20. 3DS, DS, Wii, etc. games I've wanted for awhile, but haven't gotten around to buying...like Arc Rise Fantasia and I Am Setsuna

 

@eal  Caligula Effect definitely interests me.  I'll definitely have to check it out later.  There are a few other oddball RPG's I haven't heard of that I'm seeing from Amazon in my suggestions feed after looking at different games.

@Erdrick The Hero  Not at the moment.  My computer is rather...oh, shall we say, basic.  My good computers I have no idea if they can run anything current.  My old laptop, which I fried myself in poorly trying to fix the mobo (didn't use flux, and I wish I had, because I could have easily fixed it with that stuff...but I didn't even know about that stuff at the time, but even with the hulking behemoth soldering iron I could have fixed my issue fairly easily with it.  My computers were mid-tier gaming rigs back in 2008, but not sure how well they'd hold up now.  I'm going to have to wait until I can make a mid-tier gaming rig, then eventually get a good voltmeter and work out where the problems are on machines I have, as I'd like to have a 3rd computer running Win XP pro again, just as a gaming rig for the older games I have...and other programs that work better in a true 32-bit environment.

As for Crash...yeah I should at some point.  I still have the first game.

@Fates  Good idea.

There’s a whole world of weird RPGs nobody’s heard of from companies like NIS America or Tecmo Koei. Blue Reflection, Shining Resonance Refrain, The Lost Child, etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Excellent starting point. 👍

Indeed, one can never go wrong with EO!

59 minutes ago, eal said:

There’s a whole world of weird RPGs nobody’s heard of from companies like NIS America or Tecmo Koei. Blue Reflection, Shining Resonance Refrain, The Lost Child, etc. 

Yep.  A lot more these days than yesteryear or even in the PS2 era it seems.  A ton of indie games I haven't even touched upon.  Sadly the metroidvania I'm really interested in is an XboxOne exclusive that MS showcased at e3, but I cannot recall the name.

 

FOUND IT! Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and thankfully it's actually not exclusive. PC as well.  I can't run it on this computer though...well, barely, not enough to make it worthwhile as I just scratch the minimum requirements.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Indeed, one can never go wrong with EO!

Yep.  A lot more these days than yesteryear or even in the PS2 era it seems.  A ton of indie games I haven't even touched upon.  Sadly the metroidvania I'm really interested in is an XboxOne exclusive that MS showcased at e3, but I cannot recall the name.

 

FOUND IT! Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and thankfully it's actually not exclusive. PC as well.  I can't run it on this computer though...well, barely, not enough to make it worthwhile as I just scratch the minimum requirements.

That’s why I love the Vita. It’s a niche game machine. Endless visual novels, but not just normal visual novels, otome ones for women, dungeon crawlers as far as the eye can see, standard JRPGs like Trails of Cold Steel, Ys games, and Vanillaware games, and rhythm games. And while I hate their release model, Limited Run Games has given the physical treatment to a number of indie games like Risk of Rain, Thomas Was Alone, Skullgirls, Dragon Fantasy, VA-11 Hall-A, and Cosmic Star Heroine. Looking forward to Senran Kagura Bon Apetit and Fata Morgana (rhythm game and visual novel!), for sure.

The first year of games was great and all, real valiant attempt at making AAA-type games for the little guy (Killzone, Uncharted, Gravity Rush). But the weird stuff is what the Vita is all about.

Sucks that the Switch came out and everyone fell head over heels for it. Not sad that it’s a success, I’m glad things are turning around for Nintendo, but it’s strange. I’m somewhat bitter because people ignored the Wii U, despite having great AAA first-party games, and people also ignored the Vita, an indie and niche game machine, and when Nintendo just squished the two together to make the Switch, everyone started singing the praises of all the things both systems had going for it. Everyone loves the Nintendo games...that are just ports of Wii U games, and everyone loves the indies...that you can also find on the Vita. I know the two strengths augment each other when combined, but they act like both things are so fantastic and what was lacking when they had access to things just like it in the last console generation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also still stand by my Tokyo Xanadu eX+ recommendation, and Falcom rarely disappoints.

Also, yes on Octopath when you get a Switch, would be my favorite RPG of the year I think if it wasn't for DQXI in September.

And I'm also recommending The Alliance Alive on 3DS, it's certainly refined over The Legend of Legacy, and it's got more of a narrative focus.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I might add a couple more recommendations based on what I've played recently:

1. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

Digital only if you missed the recent LRG batch, but it's often on sale for around $7-8. A super fun an very beautiful, challenging platformer with some Metroidvania elements. I completely recommend playing on Hard

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

 

2. Prey (aka Prey 2017)

Hidden behind a corporate rebrand of a failed FPS franchise is what in reality a completely different game. In fact, it's not much of an FPS at all, despite playing as one. A bit of a left field recommendation for a DQ board, but if you ever played any of the System Shock games and loved them, then here's your spiritual sequel! Ditching the straight forward linear action gameplay of the Bioshock games, this one understands the actual idea behind System Shock, and manages to reproduce both genuine space horror, tactical combat, and crazy customization of your character, allowing you to solve every problem using a multitude of potential solutions, with a lot of them being genuinely obscure. Exploration is heavily encouraged, with a lot of fun things to find, and the ability to do things completely out of order, and sequence break the hell out of the game.

latest?cb=20170713151448

 

3. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Digital only, but very cheap, straight at release.
Surprisingly, this little "gaiden" game for the anticipated Metroidvania turned out to be so good, it might actually end up the better game. A bit of a callback to Castlevania 3, this plays more like its own thing, letting you take control of up to four different characters, which makes the gameplay super fun and dynamic, once again allowing you to take on challenges in various ways. The best fun, though, comes in the way the game allows you to force limitations on yourself. There's a "nightmare" mode, but it's hardly harder than the normal mode, however, by either killing or simply ignoring your companions, you limit yourself to playing as, potentially, a weaker version of the  original main character, making the game much more challenging. I ended up playing through seven times, plus the boss rush mode, for all trophies, simply because the game became more fun which each subsequent playthrough.

bloodstained-curse-of-the-moon-screen-01

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ignasia I think I can change your mind on Overcooked if you're in NY sometime. It's a fantastic co-op mulitplayer game, especially if you like yelling at your friends, which this game shows me we apparently all like.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites



[mention=5333]ignasia[/mention] I think I can change your mind on Overcooked if you're in NY sometime. It's a fantastic co-op mulitplayer game, especially if you like yelling at your friends, which this game shows me we apparently all like.


I like yelling in general. It's why I became a teacher.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...