3. Dragon Quest Heroes
  4. Dragon Quest Heroes 2
  5. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
  6. Ys Origins
  7. Nier Automata
  8. Horizon Zero Dawn
  9. Bioshock Collection
  10. Nioh
  11. The Witcher III (not going to get...or maybe WAY down the line, literally the bottom of my list)
  12. Final Fantasy XV (I'll snag sometime when it's really really really really really cheap and has all expanded content, or close to it)
  13. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  14. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
  15. Dragon's Dogma

Hybrid RPG's that aren't specifically action (Action + TB, Puzzle + Action...etc. / Metroidvania with heavy RPG elements)

1. Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age (owned)
  2. Dragon Quest Builders
  3. Monster Hunter World
  4. Tales of Berseria
  5. Tales of Zestiria
  6. Dragon Age: Inquisition

Action / Shoot'em Up / Beat'em Up / Action-Adventure

1. Batman: Arkham Knight
  2. Nex Machina
  3. Attack on Titan
  4. Sleeping Dogs
  5. Shadow of Mordor
  6. Uncharted series
  7. Assassin's Creed Origins
  8. Transformer's Devastation
  9. Watch Dogs 2
  10. Spider-Man

Survival/Survival Horror/Horror

1. Resident Evil 7
  2. Until Dawn
  3. The Last of Us

Shooter / Adventure Shooter / Survival Horror Shooter

1. Metro Redux Collection
  2. Wolfenstein: The New Order
  3. Doom
  4. Tomb Raider

Platformer / Metroidvania with limited RPG elements

1. Crash Bandicoot N' Sane Trilogy
  2. Tearaway Unfolded
  3. The Last Guardian
  4. Shadow of the Colossus
  5. Unravel
  6. Shantae: Half Genie Hero
  7. Guacamelee
  8. Spyro

Puzzle

1. Tricky Towers

Sandbox

1. Dreams

Stealth / Stealth + Action

1. Metal Gear Solid V

Dance / Music / Rhythm

1. Project DIVA Future Tone  <- Just so you know Eal, I actually played DDR for awhile, and I'm a huge techno buff, so...this isn't exactly a no, just not high on my list
  2. Crypt of the Necrodancer

Adventure

1. Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle
  2. Grim Fandango
  3. Full Throttle

Fighter

1. Skullgirls 2nd Encore
  2. King of Fighters XIV
  3. Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2

Sports / Fantasy Sports / Action Sports

1. Rocket League

Party Games

1. That's You!
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

-Monster Hunter World - Comes out next month on the 26th. -Tearaway Unfolded -Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy -Bloodborne. I know you already mentioned it, but it needs mentioning again

Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom is my new recommendation. I absolutely loved the game from start to finish, and thanks to some new updates the game now has multiple difficulty options to address the ea

No problem, lol. I haven't looked through all the posts in this thread, but I HIGHLY recommend Persona 5 and Bloodborne. They were literally the reason I bought a PS4 though, so I may be a tad biased.

Posted Images

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but here's my suggestions outside the Dragon Quest games:

Rez
Hyperlight Drifter
Rogue Galaxy (PS2 for PS4)

Ignasia, I play Future Tone a lot. It's a combination of two add-on, Colorful Tone and Future Sound.

You can download the game for free and it comes with two songs, but you don't have to purchase all the add-ons. You can do just one or the other, but if you want both, they offer a bundle at a reduced price.

Future Sound is songs from all the console games, so the Project DIVA titles.
Colorful Tone is from the Arcade game and Project Mirai DX (the 3DS game)

It's a pretty good selection of music all around, and a fantastic rhythm game, but it's different from other rhythm games you may have played.

Edited by Bururian

I prefer Future Sound over Colorful Tone, myself. The first Project DIVA game for Vita is one of my favorite games. I love almost every song in it. Most of Colorful Tone are hit-and-miss for me. Also, no Animal Fortune Telling wtf.

It's not even in the encore packs?

And yeah, same for me on Future Sound. Project Diva F is my favorite, with great songs like Sadistic Music Factory and Secret Police.

Edited by Bururian
51 minutes ago, Bururian said:

It's not even in the encore packs?

And yeah, same for me on Future Sound. Project Diva F is my favorite, with great songs like Sadistic Music Factory and Secret Police.

I checked online and didn't find any info on it. It's also nice to have HD MEIKO on the big screen.......

14 hours ago, ignasia said:

Adventure

1. Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle
  2. Grim Fandango
  3. Full Throttle

If you're interested in adventure games, in particularly LucasArts adventures, I'd say Thimbleweed Park and Broken Age go without saying.
I recently finished Broken Age, and I was positively surprised by how charming the story was, and how much the game feels like a legit classic adventure game. It's a little short, and the story lost my interest towards the end, but it's available for cheap and worth playing. I have no idea what they spent 3 million dollars on though.

Edited by Sumez

Got two more games to suggest.

First up, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It's a Metroidvania style game headed up by Koji Igarashi himself. It apparently broke Kickstarter records or something. It releases this year, and looks so, so good. If you enjoy Symphony of the Night, this should be an easy choice.

The second game is Dragon Ball FighterZ. This game just looks awesome, and seems like the perfect DB experience, along with being a good fighting game. It releases next month, and I cannot wait.

On 12/28/2017 at 9:18 AM, Bururian said:

Rogue Galaxy (PS2 for PS4)

31 minutes ago, Prince of Cannock said:

Rouge Galaxy

Can't argue with the love for Rogue Galaxy.

It probably lies somewhere in my top 15 RPGs.

Edited by cprmauldin
11 minutes ago, Prince of Cannock said:

Dark Cloud 1 & 2

Wild Arms 3

Rouge Galaxy

I have all of those on PS2.  Good games DC 1+2...never really took to WA3 though, as it's such a departure from 1+2, and the battle length is drastically expanded by that wandering and wandering and wandering...but Rogue Galaxy is a fun game.

So I'm assuming they're on the PSN for old...yep you are:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_for_PlayStation_4

Hmm, looking at that list, if you've never played Summoner 1, or especially 2, get the 2nd for sure if you like Rogue Galaxy.  It's more traditional ARPG, with more PC-esque rules in how stats work, and even has a few stealth elements (scenarios where you're supposed to minimize the number of kills, kind of like the Tenchu series).  Though it's hilarious to see them labeled as normal RPG's...I guess the wiki writers were in a rush or something?

I would also then recommend Star Ocean: Till The End of Time, because it's probably the last great Star Ocean.  The only issue I take with it is the creation system, which is exceedingly random, and really requires the right masters, several of which can be missed permanently, as well as several in-game recruits and how to recruit the temporary players and NPCs that can be recruited...a definitely Guide Dang It game.

If you haven't played it...the phenomenal Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords is a fun and very different sort of title.

Okage: The Shadow King is also another fun game, if you like quirky and very niche rpg's with a lot of nuance gameplay features.  A story that would fit as a mix between an Atlus RPG and a kiddie anime.  While not mentioned, this is definitely an inspiration for Blue Dragon, as combine this with DQ with Sakaguchi's form of story telling, and you have Blue Dragon.

Legaia 2: Dual Saga is an interesting turn-based variant.  Think SNK's King of Fighters RPG...the original one.  The story is...meh, but it's all about the "arts" system, where you plug in a sequence of buttons to dish out special attacks or combos.  So I guess...Final Fantasy 6, where every character is Sabin.  Or Xenogears with more emphasis on complexity and usage of the arts system, and less on normal attacks.

Max Payne...yeah, it's actually a LOT of fun.  That bullet time...matrix-like, and a little annoying, but fun to use.

Psychonauts...YES, definitely one of the most intriguing and fun platformer/action games.  It's probably one of the most underrated and overlooked games, but so worth playing.

Red Dead Revolver...yeah, this is a pretty solid game.  Overhyped by a lot, but definitely one of the more fun ROCKSTAR games that's short, sweet, and to the point.  Plus, not many western games out there, and this one does a solid job capturing the feel of the wild wild west.  I'd recommend San Andreas and Vice City if you're into GTA, but I avoid sandbox games due to my play style, because I never come close to finishing them, and I end up with like 300 hours and maybe 10% of the story is done.

The Warriors...if you like a beat'em up game with some sandbox elements, this is your game.  It's VERY true to the original storyline, the movie, and if you haven't watched that yet, do so.  It's a great 80's movie.  Some of the best combat mechanics for the PS2 era.

Such a slacker, meant to post when you PMed me on GameFAQs the other day but I get easily distracted lol.

Most things I'd suggest are already covered, but I'll throw a few more in.

The Ratchet and Clank reboot/remake is fun as hell and I hope they do Going Commando next.

Tokyo Xanadu eX+, from Falcom. Gameplay similar to Ys, but in a setting akin to Persona /Trail of Cold Steel, they even reused assets from the latter.

Speaking on that, if they ever release the PS4 versions of Cold Steel/2 overseas, get those, and Cold Steel 3/4 whenever they come west.

The two South Park RPG titles if you like SP.

Lastly, but not least, Lost Sphear next month, it's the team who did I Am Setsuna, but improves some of the issues some had with IAS.

There is a demo of it available, though it throws you in at a random spot of the game.

Edited by Tiael
  • Like 1

Oh, Evil Within/2 are worth playing too.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tiael said:

I hear 2 is pretty good, but I wouldn't bother with the first one. It's not bad, but Resident Evil 4 just does it better.

8 hours ago, Tiael said:

Gotta agree with this. I'd love to play them at some point, especially since Shinji Mekami is behind the games.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought of a new recommendation: Darkest Dungeon. Really good gothic themed RPG with a class system and focus on keeping your party members sane. Seriously, it's really important to keep them sane, otherwise your party members will go mad and start to freak out as you explore.

The battle system relies on placement of your party members and determines what skills they can use. There's also some really good story telling and narration.

Cool, time to make a revised list...but more...more Fantasy Life....the game....it's calling me....I.....can't.....stop......playing.  Help....help...help meeeeee!

9 minutes ago, ignasia said:

...but more...more Fantasy Life....the game....it's calling me....I.....can't.....stop......playing.  Help....help...help meeeeee!

Your lack of Gravity Rush and Yakuza Zero is disturbing.

Ignasia, if you want a really good platformer for the ps4, take a look at A Hat in Time. It's a 3d collectathon platformer jam packed with variety and charm, the game is always switching things up. It's a bit on the short side but its getting 2 free worlds soon and at least doesn't overstay its welcome. It's also cute as heck :P

I've got a fighting game suggestion: BlazBlue: Central Fiction.

First off, I DO NOT recommend this game, let alone the series, for the "narrative," it tries to have because it is so damn confusing. It's just a mess.

What I DO recommend this game for is the gameplay. For as anime as this game is in terms of character design, it is a very fun game to play. It is a bit simiplier versus Guilty Gear titles, but that doesn't diminish from the fun. Central Fiction is the most recent entry of the series, features a large playable cast, great music much like Guilty Gear, and good tutorials to help you learn how to play and how to use each character in individual lessons should you wish for some tips.

I bought this on a whim during a sale early last year, having not played a BB game since Calamity Trigger which got my attention due to the over the top gameplay. While I prefer Guilty Gear nowadays, BlazBlue is still a lot of fun.

Gravity Rush 2 is a must buy, especially since the online functionality is shutting down in half a year and you’ll lose out on the ability to earn some stuff. And also because it’s hard to find a copy nowadays.

It’s a great game because it’s an improvement on the original in every way a game can be improved. I think maybe the soundtrack isn’t as memorable, but that’s about it. Combat is a joy most of the time, whereas it was insufferable in the original. The open world is gigantic and it’s a pleasure to explore. In the first Gravity Rush, I had no drive to do anything but head to the next story mission because the only other thing for you to do is attempt difficult challenge missions. There was nothing else driving you to look around the world. I floated from place to place for most of the game, barely walking around Hekesville. GR 2 has thrown in a bunch of side missions that help to flesh out the side characters and make the world feel more alive. Most of the side missions I’ve done feel mostly unique. One mission I’m doing a wonky stealth mission, the next I’m taking pictures of beautiful women to give to an old man.

Gravity Rush’s saving grace was its asthetic and it’s protagonist, Kat. Unfortunately, the charm wore really thin with its weak story, where characters forced events to move forward with talk about destinies and dream sequences and literal gods making the story continue. Kat was the only thing that remained consistently pleasant throughout the game. The sequel has so far featured very little of that, and Kat is just as sassy as ever. And you can also dress her up as 2B, so she’s basically perfect.

Hey, so Sleepy Dogs is $12 on PS4 right now. I’m not saying you should buy it, but if you like open world games, then you already know you’re gonna like this one.

• 5 months later...

I summon thee topic from the dead...RISE...RISE and be reborn!  "Casts Kazing"

I need to make this decision by tomorrow night.

Ok...I will have $40 very soon to play around with, 30 of which are Amazon gift cards...thanks Bing search.  The options I have that fit in that amount that I planned to get:

1. Dragon Quest Heroes 2 + 1
  2. Dragon Quest Heroes 2 + Builders
  3. Dragon Quest Heroes 2 + some 3DS RPG I haven't played yet and don't own yet [ Bravely Second: Second Layer , Etrian Odyssey V , Persona Q, anything else that's 20 or less and worthwhile ]
  4. DQH2 + another PS4 game that's 20ish or less, like Ni Oh or FFX + X-2 remaster.
  5. Dark Souls remastered
  6. Nier Automata
  7. Odin Sphere's remaster
  8. Shin Megami Tensei 4 + Armageddon
  9. 7th Dragon III Code: VFD
  10. Bravely Default (it's down from $60~70)
  11. Rune Factory 4
  12. Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology
  13. Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight
  14. Sit on it...wait until I can afford Ys VIII, because NIS is profoundly stupid and printed FAR too few copies and hasn't replenished them when they've clearly sold out VERY fast.
  15. Sit on it...wait until I can afford a Switch and use that money towards the Switch or some Switch games in preparation for a system you know damn well you will own soon enough.
  16. Dude, replace that DS Lite that's broken down with a DSi XL unit.
  17. Sit on it, and get that Second 3DS when you can afford it.
  18. Sit on it and use it for a DQ11 guide if it comes out, or something else.

-=-=-=-=-

I'm not sold on Heroes that much.  After toying with the camera it's much better.  Heroes 2 fixes most of the issues of Heroes 1 based on what people talk about...toying around with it, I might come to really like it in experiencing the full game, but I'm really torn.  I'm not sure if I really care enough for the Heroes games, but at the same time I really do want to fully play at least one of them, and 2 has my attention more than 1.

Going to sit on this overnight and think about it.

Edited by ignasia