Sign in to follow this  
ignasia

PS4 Must Buys

4 hours ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

^^You know everytime I hear Tales of Berseria mentioned I can't help but feel it borders awfully close to being a rip off of Berserk.

Eh, even if that was so, some rip-offs can be good. Claymore is a rip-off of Berserk. Beautifully illustrated art of female warriors armed with huge swords fighting eldritch monstrosities in a medivel setting. Hell, the first volume of Claymore is a couple one-off but important chapters, which is followed by the first arc in the second volume, which then leads into the last portion of the third volume beginning a long flashback unrelated to the first arc, which is also widely considered to be the best part of the series. You know, just like Berserk. But it's still good and the author actually finished it and drew twice as many pages a month per chapter without taking extended hiatuses.

33 minutes ago, dogmai333 said:

SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO!

Hmm... I guess you like Spyro too, huh? :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, eal said:

Eh, even if that was so, some rip-offs can be good. Claymore is a rip-off of Berserk. Beautifully illustrated art of female warriors armed with huge swords fighting eldritch monstrosities in a medivel setting. Hell, the first volume of Claymore is a couple one-off but important chapters, which is followed by the first arc in the second volume, which then leads into the last portion of the third volume beginning a long flashback unrelated to the first arc, which is also widely considered to be the best part of the series. You know, just like Berserk. But it's still good and the author actually finished it and drew twice as many pages a month per chapter without taking extended hiatuses.

Claymore is an anime though.  That said, it's quite a solid storyline.  Though I've only seen the first season.  However, unlike Berserk, the main character's sword is nowhere near as iconic. 

2 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Hmm... I guess you like Spyro too, huh? :thumbsup:

You know...I've never played Spyro.  Strange given my love for dragons.  Nor is that the first time I've seen that level of...err, devotion? for a game, lol.

===

So, for anyone who has played RE7, would you compare it to RE1~3, or 4?

3 hours ago, ignasia said:

I should make a formal list when I'm done of everyone's recommendations, and the games I plan to get myself.

LOL.  Well maybe in name.  Definitely not in story if the artwork indicates anything.  Though frankly I think it would do for someone to use Berserk's storyline as the inspiration.  Just the leadup to the betrayal itself, and the level of betrayal, and the level of power Guts is up against...I mean a literal friggin' dark God!  One who knows him intimately, and who desires him before anyone else.  Take that Cecil / Golbez or Luke / Vader!

It's Berserk in a lot more ways, like the main villian is a Bishonen pretty boy who's evil nature is juxtaposed with his holy appearance, remind you of anyone?

SO5 was definitely a huge disappointment.

There are a few games out there inspired by Berserk - the three existing Berserk games obviously, but the Souls games take a ton of cues from the series, including a few shoutouts here and there. Dragon's Dogma also has two armors from Berserk that you can buy for your characters, and that game also has several elements that I feel is very reminiscent of Berserk, especially the whole storyline with the duchess. There's a PS4 version of that game too, really cool take on the genre.

On 15/12/2017 at 12:23 AM, ignasia said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned:

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

It's hard to recommend a game that already came out ten years ago, and which I'd expect most people with a potential interest already owns. :) 

Edited by Sumez

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

SO5 was definitely a huge improvement.

There are a few games out there inspired by Berserk - the three existing Berserk games obviously, but the Souls games take a ton of cues from the series, including a few shoutouts here and there. Dragon's Dogma also has two armors from Berserk that you can buy for your characters, and that game also has several elements that I feel is very reminiscent of Berserk, especially the whole storyline with the duchess. There's a PS4 version of that game too, really cool take on the genre.

It's hard to recommend a game that already came out ten years ago, and which I'd expect most people with a potential interest already owns. :)

Great, SO5 it is.

---

Dragon's Dogma...worth getting on PS4?

---

It's "hard" to recommend a game that already came out a long time ago?  Cough *Crash Bandicoot* Cough *Spyro* Cough *Shadow of the Collosus which, like Odin Sphere is also a remake* Cough *Metro Redux Collection* Cough *Bioshock Collection...damn how did i miss that, definitely going on my list, thanks Yangus* Cough...wow it's dusty in here...Cough *Ys Origin...damn how did I miss your recommendation on that one Sumez, definitely a must buy for me* Cough *Final Fantasy X and X-2* Cough...wow I think maybe I've caught a bug or something...Cough *Uncharted HD upgrades for PS4 with downgraded and removed content and vastly simplified AI to reduce the difficulty* Cough

Sorry for my coughing fit.  You were saying?

Edited by ignasia

For anyone curious about Monster Hunter World, you'll be able to play the game early from December 22 to the 26th.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/12/15/monster-hunter-worlds-ps4-beta-coming-players-december-22/

I plan to play the beta a lot more again, and if anyone here has PS+ I'd love to play with other Denizens! Or if you're on a random online group, look out for the hunter named Sir Meryvn (my chosen Dragon Quest character name for this new MH game).

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

13 hours ago, eal said:

It's about subtlety really. Berserk itself drew from a wide reference pool of inspiration, like Hellraiser, Violence Jack, and Rose of Versaille. Miura's even made it a point at panels he's spoken at to draw reference from real life relationships. Masashi Kishimoto drew inspiration from Hiroaki Samura's artstyle. One Piece's world shows influence of the Viking Age. Kaneki's multiple personalities in Tokyo Ghoul are more likely than not inspired by Shinobu Sensui, Furuta's based off The Joker and Hisoka, and Matsuri's design is very close to Godoh's from Hunter x Hunter. I'd go as far as saying Arima's character was somewhat inspired by Metal Gear Solid.  Sui Ishida was a tattoo artist before he made Tokyo Ghoul, when I first read that I went, "That explains so much."

These aren't things I just knew when reading  these manga, I had to make some connections and look into the details of them. Do you know the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the word Berseria? I don't want to knock the game, I haven't played it, that is a point against me, but it bothers me that I didn't even have to play it to know precisely where a good chunk of it's plot is coming from.

9 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

It's about subtlety really. Berserk itself drew from a wide reference pool of inspiration, like Hellraiser, Violence Jack, and Rose of Versaille. Miura's even made it a point at panels he's spoken at to draw reference from real life relationships. Masashi Kishimoto drew inspiration from Hiroaki Samura's artstyle. One Piece's world shows influence of the Viking Age. Kaneki's multiple personalities in Tokyo Ghoul are more likely than not inspired by Shinobu Sensui, Furuta's based off The Joker and Hisoka, and Matsuri's design is very close to Godoh's from Hunter x Hunter. I'd go as far as saying Arima's character was somewhat inspired by Metal Gear Solid.  Sui Ishida was a tattoo artist before he made Tokyo Ghoul, when I first read that I went, "That explains so much."

These aren't things I just knew when reading  these manga, I had to make some connections and look into the details of them. Do you know the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the word Berseria? I don't want to knock the game, I haven't played it, that is a point against me, but it bothers me that I didn't even have to play it to know precisely where a good chunk of it's plot is coming from.

I read the plot synopsis for Berseria and it's basically Berserk. Even down to some similarly named terminology.

Also, I think the tattoo artist thing is mostly a rumor. Tattoos are frowned upon generally in Japan.

If that's true, I do generally like when they draw on their past experience to augment their work though. Like how Ai Yazawa studied fashion before writing manga, and the emphasis on unique clothes and styles shows in Nana.

14 hours ago, Sumez said:

SO5 was definitely a huge improvement.

Wow, that was some blunder. I meant to say huge disappointment! It feels like they didn't really care making a full game, and just did it out of obligations. The story never gets interesting, or feels like it's concluded. It just kinds of ends when the game feels like it, and way too soon.

Transformers: Devastation - fun single player with some replayability and can be got for fairly cheap

That's you! - super fun party game

12 hours ago, ignasia said:

Great, SO5 it is.

---

Dragon's Dogma...worth getting on PS4?

---

It's "hard" to recommend a game that already came out a long time ago?  Cough *Crash Bandicoot* Cough *Spyro* Cough *Shadow of the Collosus which, like Odin Sphere is also a remake* Cough *Metro Redux Collection* Cough *Bioshock Collection...damn how did i miss that, definitely going on my list, thanks Yangus* Cough...wow it's dusty in here...Cough *Ys Origin...damn how did I miss your recommendation on that one Sumez, definitely a must buy for me* Cough *Final Fantasy X and X-2* Cough...wow I think maybe I've caught a bug or something...Cough *Uncharted HD upgrades for PS4 with downgraded and removed content and vastly simplified AI to reduce the difficulty* Cough

Sorry for my coughing fit.  You were saying?

I say yes to Dragon's Dogma.

I think I played it on the PS3 or 360, but I remember having an absolute blast and pumping tons of hours into it.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:54 PM, AlefgardHero said:

A Japanese PSN account for some sweet demos and themes!

World of Final Fantasy - Turn-based battles with gameplay somewhere between DQMonsters and Pokemon. (I'm not even a FF fan but this game got me hooked)

Yep, I've used my Japanese PSN account sparingly but well. 

Interesting. A 40 hour turn based FF I could play on Vita? Hmmmm... 

• Upvote 1

No one's said this yet, but

Watch_Dogs 2!!!!!

I picked it up for Black Friday, and if you're worried about it being like the first one, worry not, because it makes the first one look like garbage, and I actually got enjoyment out of WD1.

I'm honestly surprised no one has mentioned King of Fighters XIV.

It doesn't look like much, but it's a pretty solid fighting game.

25 minutes ago, Duran said:

I'm honestly surprised no one has mentioned King of Fighters XIV.

It doesn't look like much, but it's a pretty solid fighting game.

Oh #$*!, I can't believe I forgot about KoFXIV! Now I feel embarrassed, especially since it's one of my favorite franchises! The game is worth buying just because it has Geese Howard back as a playable character.

Other than that, another awesome fighting game for the system is Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev. 2. It's the most up to date version of Guilty Gear Xrd, features all the current playable characters and other additions. It's become one of my new favorites from Arc Systems.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Just now, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Oh #$*!, I can't believe I forgot about KoFXIV! Now I feel embarrassed, especially since it's one of my favorite franchises.

Other than that, another awesome fighting game for the system is Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev. 2. It's the most up to date version of Guilty Gear Xrd, features all the current playable characters and other additions. It's become one of my new favorites from Arc Systems.

Wait, which GG is the latest one? I know Xrd, Xrd SIGN, and Xrd Rev 2...

4 minutes ago, Duran said:

Wait, which GG is the latest one? I know Xrd, Xrd SIGN, and Xrd Rev 2...

Rev. 2 is the latest version. I picked up the physical release of it back in the summer. It's the one I recommend to people now, otherwise you have to buy Revelator, then purchase the Rev. 2 update AND any of the DLC characters you didn't have yet. With Rev. 2's standalone release, you get everything in one package.

28 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Rev. 2 is the latest version. I picked up the physical release of it back in the summer. It's the one I recommend to people now, otherwise you have to buy Revelator, then purchase the Rev. 2 update AND any of the DLC characters you didn't have yet. With Rev. 2's standalone release, you get everything in one package.

Nice!

I loved playing as Jam. I heard she wasn't available until Rev

2 hours ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

No one's said this yet, but

Watch_Dogs 2!!!!!

I picked it up for Black Friday, and if you're worried about it being like the first one, worry not, because it makes the first one look like garbage, and I actually got enjoyment out of WD1.

Watch Dogs made Watch Dogs look like garbage tbh.

11 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Watch Dogs made Watch Dogs look like garbage tbh.

I went into it with tempered expectations and had fun. But WD2 is just so much better. Marcus is a far better protagonist, the tone fits the hacker theme far more than dreary revenge quest does, and San Francisco and the surrounding area is a blast to explore, especially since I live in Oakland.

What's more, the changes are just the best. You have more options when hacking things, the RC Jumper and Quadcopter are things I didn't know I wanted, but can't do without now, and using melee is fun due to Marcus' weapon of choice.

Making a note here for future reference:  Compendium of all answers.

I was really hoping Tiael would chime in, as I typically agree 99.9% with his game selections, and even reasons for liking games.  Maybe even Bob the Almighty, as we typically align about 90% of the time.

If you’ve never played The Last if Us (or even if you had) get the PS4 remastered version.  It’s one of the best video games of the last ten years without question. 

I would also recommend getting the Uncharted Collection and Uncharted 4 as well. 

I really had a lot of fun with DQ Heroes 1.  I own the second but haven’t played it much.  I haven’t played much of anything this last year due to family issues that have consumed my attention (I haven’t even opened DQ 7 or 8 3DS even though I got them on release date for example). 

I personally had a lot of fun with Metal Gear Solid 5.  I just cannot believe how good the game play is in that game.  I have 160 hours on my save file and I feel like I could spend another 160 hours in that world.  The game replaced MGS 3 as my all-time favorite Metal Gear game just because the game play is so incredible.  MGS 3 tells a better story but MGS 5 is a better experience.

The Final Fantasy 10 and 12 remasters are amazing.  I have FF Type-0 HD but honestly thought it was rather average.  I bought FF 15 on release day (sometime in December 2016) and to this day I still only have an hour and 45 minutes on my save file.  Something about the game just doesn’t click with me.  In fact after the 1 hour and 45 minutes I put into it the day the game came out I quit the game and replayed MGS 5 (which came out a year before FF 15) lol. 

I like the Crash Bandicoot Collection.  Crash 2 and 3 are some of my favorite games ever. 

If you like Bioware games Dragon Age: Inquisition was outstanding, especially with all the DLC.  Mass Effect Andromeda was crap though.  Never been so pissed at pre-ordering a game before...  For the record I adored ME 1-3 on PS3. 

Honorable mentions go to Horizon and inFamous: Second Son.  Horizon is the better game because inFamous was a early PS4 game but both had me playing for weeks on end. 

Lastly the 2018 Spider-Man game looks INCREDIBLE!  Not out yet but worth keeping your eyes on.  And speaking of superhero games Batman Arkham Knight was really great too on PS4 but I felt the PS3/360 Arkham games were better.  The Batmobile kinda ruins Arkham Knight to an extent but still I poured 30 or 40 hours into that game easily and loved every second of it.  I only beat about half the game (percentage-wise; I finished the main story).  I haven’t messed with the DLC yet though. 

I haven’t played DQ Builders but I got a Switch for the kids on Christmas and I think I’ll just wait for the Switch version. 

Anyway that’s my suggestions.  Not a lot of JRPGs because I’ve kinda fallen out of favor with them, outside DQ and FF for nostalgia purposes. 

[Edit] I forgot to mention it’s unbelievable how good Wolfenstein: New World Order (or whatever it is called; came out in 2014) and Doom (2016) are.  Easily the two best FPS games I played in probably a decade (at least outside the Bioshock games, which as it were, have a remastered collection for PS4 but I haven’t bought it yet). 

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty
  • Like 1

I haven't beat DQ Builders either, and I'm also waiting for the Switch version now. Another game for Switch is great! I travel for work, so the Switch is a dream.

Since I've been playing it, I'll throw in Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition. Only been playing it for about 5 hours and it's already been WAY better than Dark Souls 2. Hidetaka Miyazaki being the director makes a big difference, and feels a lot more like I imagined the Dark Souls game would, both in gameplay and atmosphere.

And with the Fire Fades edition, you get both sets of DLC on disc. So there's that.

(Also I know you have it listed on the first post but I have to throw the game in anyway since I'm finally playing and loving it.)