So, this Christmas I will have a PS4.  Finally.

Now, currently the games I will have for it will be the following:

1) Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age (you're missing out Platty...missing out I tell you, what with the class system!)

2) Bloodborne

The games I know for sure I want to get:

1) Dragon Quest Heroes

2) Dragon Quest Heroes 2

3) Dragon Quest Builders (yeah, I actually do like minecraft, but avoid it like the plague, much as I do Pokemon, because I'd prefer to have some time for a life, but this will do as a substitute, and it's DQ, so yay!)

4) Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana

5) Dark Souls III

6) Nier Automata

7) Persona 5

So onto the point of this topic...what other games should I be on the lookout for, or should seriously consider?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

-Monster Hunter World - Comes out next month on the 26th. -Tearaway Unfolded -Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy -Bloodborne. I know you already mentioned it, but it needs mentioning again

Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom is my new recommendation. I absolutely loved the game from start to finish, and thanks to some new updates the game now has multiple difficulty options to address the ea

No problem, lol. I haven't looked through all the posts in this thread, but I HIGHLY recommend Persona 5 and Bloodborne. They were literally the reason I bought a PS4 though, so I may be a tad biased.

Posted Images

-Monster Hunter World - Comes out next month on the 26th.

-Tearaway Unfolded

-Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

-Bloodborne. I know you already mentioned it, but it needs mentioning again. You gotta buy that sweet The Old Hunters DLC!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

-Monster Hunter World - Comes out next month on the 26th.

-Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

-Bloodborne. I know you already mentioned it, but it needs mentioning again. You gotta buy that sweet The Old Hunters DLC!

Worry not, that is DEFINITELY a must buy the moment I am able to, but at least all I need is the original game (prefer the disc to a digital download...seriously, what's up with all the DD versions of games these days?).

Monster Hunter should go on my backlist...and OMG, Crash.  Heh.  Yeah, I could use a solid platformer.  Though I do have to consider I'll be buying a Switch sometime before next Christmas, and Mario takes precedent...

• Upvote 1

I'd say Horizon: Zero Dawn as well. Haven't played it yet, but I've heard lots of good things.

Same for The Last Guardian, though I think it's a little more hit and miss. I still plan to get it since I really enjoyed Team Ico's other games.

Also Shadow of the Colossus remake coming out in February.

Then there'a the Metro Redux Collection and Bioshock Collection.

• Like 1

One more that comes to mind:

• Upvote 1

If you're into Bloodborne and Dark Souls (I actually like DS3 a little better than BB, but both are great), don't miss out on Nioh.

From my own collection, some titles I've been happy with that weren't mentioned so far:
Wolfenstein The New Order (not that big on FPS games, especially not modern ones, but this and Doom really offer something new and very well made)
Barman: Arkham Knight (not as good as the two first games, but solid and enjoyable)
Resident Evil 7 (not the big game of the year thing people have been making it out to be, but a comfortable return to form for the series)
Ys Origin
Nex Machina

• Like 1

Damn your list is super similar to mine.

I'd say Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD is a good remaster, though it may not be worth it, especially because freaking SE decided to not let you skip cutscenes, making the Yunalesca boss as tedious as it was in the original.

Also MGSV, I haven't played it myself but the stuff I've seen of it is amazing, also fell in love with Donna Burke singing "Sins of the Father" after learning she also sang "Glassy Sky" from Tokyo Ghoul Root A(which by the way was the only good thing about Root A). Consider buying it used too, we don't want to give Konami money after all, and it was Kojima's last MGS game, so it's worth playing just for that.

Weird to include games that aren't out yet.

Anyway, whether you've watched the show or not, Attack on Titan is a good choice. Solid web-swinging mechanics and satisfying Titan subjugations.

Until Dawn is a spook-tacular send-up to teens-in-cabins-in-the-woods horror films. And your choices do actually matter. This ain't no TellTale or David Cage game.

Sleepy Dogs, because I like open world Hong Kong and the story is actually fun to follow along with. In my experience, open world stories are generally pretty poor.

Shadow of Mordor. If you like Batman Arkham combat and the Nemesis system interests you, you will have fun with this game. Stealth is also do-able. I'm generally awful at stealth sequences but I managed just fine in Shadow of Mordor.

Uncharted games. Whichever tickle your fancy, but honestly, Uncharted 2 is my favorite so give the PS4 remaster a go.

Project DIVA Future Tone. I'm just recommending this because I can even though no one is going to play it.

Thought of some more, specifically digital titles:

-Unravel - One of the few good new games EA has published. It's a puzzle platformer where you play as a little creature made of yarn, appropriately named Yarny, as he goes through different levels relieving moments of life from the family (or just specifically the grandmother) who made him. For no dialogue it tells a very good story. Highly recommend it.

-Shantae: Half Genie Hero - A good platformer I recently platinumed that comes from WayForward. The game looks, plays, and sounds fantastic. It's fun to speed run as well.

-Crypt of the NecroDancer - A challenging random dungeon game that requires you stay in the beat of the music. It's become one of my favorite rouge like games despite how much it breaks my spirit with it's difficulty. Also, phenomenal soundtrack.

-Guacamelee (the PS4 version has a long title I can't fully recall right now) - A Metroidvania platformer that, while having a bit of an odd name, is a good game.

-I am Setsuna - A throwback RPG that is similar to Chrono Trigger in a few ways, the snowy landscapes, piano soundtrack and simple plot make the game a relaxing experience. This is one I'd say wait for a sale on though. Still, a good RPG for the start of a new company from Square Enix.

-The various remastered releases from DoubleFine Productions. These include Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, and Full Throttle.

-Skullgirls: 2nd Encore Edition - If you're a fan of Marvel vs. Capcom 2, this game will be a lot of fun. Lots of combo potential, great animation on all the characters, and one of the best fighting game characters of all time in the form of Big Band.

I'll see if I can think of any others.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

-I am Setsuna - A throwback RPG that is similar to Chrono Trigger in a few ways, the snowy landscapes, piano soundtrack and simple plot make the game a relaxing experience. This is one I'd say wait for a sale on though. Still, a good RPG for the start of a new company from Square Enix.

I've always heard of this game, never realized it has turn-based battles.  Hmmmmm...

4 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I've always heard of this game, never realized it has turn-based battles.  Hmmmmm...

It's active time battles. You have to wait for the character's bars to fill before they can act.

Thought of a few more:

-Doom. This is a first person shooter I can totally get behind. The fast paced gameplay is a lot of fun.

-The Witcher 3. Don't have this one myself, but I've seen and heard plenty of good things that i really want to get the game.

-The Last of Us Remastered

-The Tomb Raider games.

-Assassins Creed Origins. Same case as The Witcher 3 for me, but to add on to it I'm not a real big fan of the AssCreed franchise. Origins, however, really interests me.

Hopefully that and my other lists/posts will be enough suggestions to get you started, Iggy. There's a lot of good stuff to choose from on the PS4.

I second Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and anything with Dragon Quest in the title.

That's all I really play on PS4, waiting for some Spyro. (I'm sure it's gonna happen - Sony's teased it a little bit, and Activision has alluded to it in some investor meeting or something.)

Umm... I don't play it on PS4, but I'm loving Rocket League. Unfortunately, there's no cross-play on PS4 like XBox One/Switch/PC, so I can't really recommend it until Sony gets their heads out of their asses. (Personally, I play on Switch.)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

This topic reminds me how limited my video gaming is.  Haha, I think I bought a total of 5 PS4 games in 2 years!

I've had the opposite problem. I've only had a PS4 for (almost) a year, and I already have several physical games and a good amount of digital games. Sony just has really good sales on the PSN, and a lot of physical copies on Amazon for games are around $20!

I'm always late to the Sony party, but it's been fun every time.

I have a hard time recommending Witcher 3 to anyone.

I liked it a lot, but after being done with it, it's one of those games I don't feel like ever returning to. Looking back on it, a lot of it was grinding mediocre sidequests and scouring repetitive environment. Apart from that its biggest qualities is the world building, dialogue and story progression. But it's also extremely dry, typical of Western RPGs, and doesn't have the same impact that W2 did to me. It's your typical open world "casual" RPG, and probably better than Skyrim.

Edited by Sumez
9 hours ago, Sumez said:

I have a hard time recommending Witcher 3 to anyone.

I liked it a lot, but after being done with it, it's one of those games I don't feel like ever returning to. Looking back on it, a lot of it was grinding mediocre sidequests and scouring repetitive environment. Apart from that its biggest qualities is the world building, dialogue and story progression. But it's also extremely dry, typical of Western RPGs, and doesn't have the same impact that W2 did to me. It's your typical open world "casual" RPG, and probably better than Skyrim.

Oh, don't worry.  I love open world games, but I can't stand The Witcher 1, 2, and I've played enough of 3 to know it's little different.

Open world with literally nothing in it.  FF15 seems less barren of a wasteland of nothingness.  At least you actually find stuff to kill in the videos I've seen of 15.

It's one of the reasons I love Takahashi's work on the Xenoblade series.  Even when there's fetch quests, the world is just divinely inspired.  So much depth, so many unique landscapes, fauna and flora, unique enemy and animal designs.  Even the ruins of ancient times past are fun to look at.  Often breathtakingly beautiful and extravagent, and you can see everything, and climb almost everything from some place.  Fall, swim, or jump just about everywhere...

I'm surprised no one mentioned:

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

That's another on my must-buy list for sure.  I liked the original, but the PS2 was slow and clunky in the execution.  Making boss battles somewhat difficult if a major attack was displayed on screen, as it's easy to freeze frame, and the camera is zoomed in so close it's difficult to properly dodge or know when you're at the boss before you're literally right in front of it, making it easier to get hit.  However, Muramasa was utterly fantastic, and is one of my most replayed games on the Wii.  It's so smooth and effortless, and it really takes skill to master the blades, when to use what attacks, how to air juggle properly, and how to properly dodge.  The fast pace just adds to the atmosphere of constant vigilance.  It's a fun romp, and has a rather deep and a reasonably historically accurate mystical tale to boot.

I may still get the FFX/X-2 remaster.  They may have removed movie skipping, but that's easily patched if enough people complain.  Afterall, it was the PS4 version that initially came with a fixed RNG system that assured the exact same playthrough depending on how consistent of a player one is, and that was patched out for a constantly changing RNG system that is affected by button presses not just the game timer.

Given I've bought every MGS game except the PS3 releases?  I'll definitely have to pick up the final Kojima.  I just never got around to buying a PS4.

Forgot about Tales of Berseria, and I think there's also Zestiria.  Given they're both tales releases, it's a good bet they'll eventually be in my library.  While a terrible game, I'll probably eventually end up with SO5, just because it's Star Ocean, though only towards the end when I really have a fleshed out library.

DOOM!  Yes, that's one I need to get, as well as Wolfenstien.  I love Return to Castle Wolfenstien.  Easily one of my favourite shooters.  Continuing on that legacy is always a positive.

Also Skyrim, since I don't own a PC copy, and haven't a system that can adequately run it.

Maybe The Last of Us as well, but I'm not as into that form of survival horror game.  That will be way down on my list.

I am Setsuna!  Thank you Yangus!  I had forgotten about that spiritually connected game attempting to recapture the magic of Chrono Trigger's gameplay engine.  Definitely high on my list.

Assassin's Creed Origins as well.  That's always been a fantastic series, though I haven't played any since the second game.

OMFG...I forgot about Ni No Kuni 2.  That's upcoming.

On 12/12/2017 at 4:52 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I remember reading a Gamestop preview of this one. It looked really cool.

Awesome topic too! I still only have like a few games for my PS4, so this will be great to reference when I'm in the market for something new to play.

42 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I remember reading a Gamestop preview of this one. It looked really cool.

Awesome topic too! I still only have like a few games for my PS4, so this will be great to reference when I'm in the market for something new to play.

I should make a formal list when I'm done of everyone's recommendations, and the games I plan to get myself.

3 hours ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

^^You know everytime I hear Tales of Berseria mentioned I can't help but feel it borders awfully close to being a rip off of Berserk.

LOL.  Well maybe in name.  Definitely not in story if the artwork indicates anything.  Though frankly I think it would do for someone to use Berserk's storyline as the inspiration.  Just the leadup to the betrayal itself, and the level of betrayal, and the level of power Guts is up against...I mean a literal friggin' dark God!  One who knows him intimately, and who desires him before anyone else.  Take that Cecil / Golbez or Luke / Vader!

A Japanese PSN account for some sweet demos and themes!

Tricky Towers - Uses tetrominos to build towers, addicting multiplayer

Rocket League - definition of, "easy to pickup; hard to master"

World of Final Fantasy - Turn-based battles with gameplay somewhere between DQMonsters and Pokemon. (I'm not even a FF fan but this game got me hooked)

1 minute ago, dogmai333 said:

World of Final Fantasy - Turn-based battles with gameplay somewhere between DQMonsters and Pokemon. (I'm not even a FF fan but this game got me hooked)

Totally forgot about this one. I need to get around to this game as well.

On 12/13/2017 at 5:55 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

I second Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and anything with Dragon Quest in the title.

That's all I really play on PS4, waiting for some Spyro. (I'm sure it's gonna happen - Sony's teased it a little bit, and Activision has alluded to it in some investor meeting or something.)

Umm... I don't play it on PS4, but I'm loving Rocket League. Unfortunately, there's no cross-play on PS4 like XBox One/Switch/PC, so I can't really recommend it until Sony gets their heads out of their asses. (Personally, I play on Switch.)

SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO! SPYRO!