Sign in to follow this  
TheKingOfTheDragovians

Your Game(s) of the Year?

What would you say were your favorite games that came out this year? Give some reasons why you liked them.

For me it's The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, with Persona 5 taking second place. Breath of the Wild also has a bit of personal sentimentality to me, because my all time most hyped game just happened to come out on my birthday. Thank you whoever it was at Nintendo that decided on that release date!

Persona 5 is one the most stylish games ever, everything from the presentation to the small touches like the battle menu just gives it so much personality. Also I found the story relatable, a group of outcasts with no place to belong that by the end decide that life is what you make of it? It's like I'm in high school all over again! Which isn't really that much of a desirable thing, so I don't know why I'm celebrating.

Here's my list:

5. Persona 5 - Honestly wasn't sure how well I'd like the game, but it was good. It didn't blow me away like it seems to have for so many others, but it had some changes to the formula I liked such as non-random dungeons (other than the Mementos dungeon).

4. Dragon Quest VIII 3DS - Having one of my favorite DQ games on the go is nice, and all the new stuff added to the 3DS version is great. I'm especially happy Morrie was made a playable character and had some really funny party chat lines.

3. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - Having never played the originals before, going into the remake trilogy was very nice and very difficult (especially for Crash 1, hooooo boy). The updated visuals, music, and other additions really made this feel like a brand new game, and honestly I forgot quite a bit the game was a remake collection of the original PS1 titles.

2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - I'll point to my Yangus's Thoughts of the game for my full opinion, but in short this game was beyond my expectations. I loved the simple approach to the combat and gameplay, all the playable characters were useful/likeable in their own way, and it has a stellar soundtrack. This game WOULD be my #1 of 2017 if not for...

1. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth - The obvious choice for my #1 I suppose, but the reason I put it here is because of the approach to the gameplay. Combining gameplay aspects from the first two games and new ideas from the latter two, Etrian 5 felt like a good combination of what makes each numbered Etrian game before it so good. Lots of room to explore on each floor, interesting NPCs to talk to again and again in town (and sometimes the labyrinth), a good challenge and sense of accomplishment as you complete new maps and conquer obstacles, and an fascinating labyrinth with an interesting twist as you near the end of the adventure.

My favorite aspects are the new job classes, which are all wonderful to use with plenty of freedom to customize both in skills and in appearance, the entirely new cast of monsters and bosses that requires staying on your toes since you can't rely on familiar encounters, and the fantastic soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro. He did a great job with 5's soundtrack, and the FM Synth soundtrack was a nice addition.

Having waited for this game since the big info dump back in April 2016, Etrian Odyssey V was well worth the wait, and has become my second favorite Etrian game after Etrian Odyssey II/Untold 2.

Having said all that, my favorite non-2017 game of the year is Bloodborne. This game was absolutely PHENOMENAL! Easily one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Breath of the Wild was pretty amazing. It really was the sort of game where the journey was as important as the destination. It was fun just spotting something from a tower or cliff, wondering what was there, and traveling just for the curiosity. I haven't felt that way about a Zelda game since the original when I was a kid.

Dragon Quest XI is the runner up, but is still an excellent game. I'd be lying if I said I understood what was happening, but it is fun to play. Call it odd, but I have enjoyed fumbling around with the smithing system, sometimes with great results, other times with poor ones. And it's been nice seeing all the references to past DQs, what ones I can pick up on.

Other than those two, I haven't played much else from this year - I'm not yet far enough in Persona 5 to fairly judge it and I haven't even touched Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash. Maybe I can get to one or both before 2017 is done with.

Probs gonna be Persona 5, since that's the only game from this year that I finished. Sleepy Dogs is a couple years old at this point so I can't count it. And Lady Layton is done yet.

Persona 5, Nier automata yakuza kiwami and yakuza 0.

1. Persona 5. What can I say? I just love atlus games, something about them. Especially on console. It is not even my favorite persona game (at least storywise), and still it was the best gaming experience I have had in years. Loved it.

2. Yakuza 0. My reintroduction into the yakuza series. And oh boy, am I back in. Great story, fun gameplay and lots to do. I actually went for the platinum trophy in this one.

3. Nier automata. Big fan of the nier and drakengard series to begin with. Made by platinum games no less this time. It is definately not as deep as platinums other works and It was a clearly not super high budget, but the story and characters were totally up to par with Yoko Taro's standards, and the gameplay was filled with interesting stuff, and it was still super smooth and fun to play. I am really happy this game is getting so much praise. It is really looking like the trend of Yoko Taro games having bad gameplay is finally over.  

4. Yakuza kiwami. I didnt love it as much as yakuza 0. Story was weaker, cinematography was weaker, boss fights were weaker and it was just a smaller game in general. But I still really enjoyed it. I know people were mixed on the Majima everywhere system, but I really enjoyed it. Just a great game.

I have enjoyed other games this year as well, but they did not come out this year. 

I think DQVIII & Etrian Odyssey V are the only games from this year I played and really enjoyed. 

Yo-Kai Watch 2, P4G & TiTS were old. 

Ever Oasis was disappointing. 

While the topic is about new games from this year, I want to quickly mention 4 games I replayed this year that reminded me why they were favorites in the first place:

Dragon Quest III (on SNES), Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Final Fantasy IX, and Yoshi's Island.

Fastest answer for all 4 is that I love the gameplay of each. DQ3 is my favorite example of DQ's adventure gameplay done right, TTYD is full of good humor, has a unique world/characters and fun combat, FF9 is in the same boat as TTYD (just replace the word "humor" with "story moments,") and Yoshi's Island is just plain fun with a wonderful graphical style to it.

Having not played most of those in quite a few years, they felt fresh and new despite being familiar territory. Especially DQ3 and Yoshi's Island, both of which were hard to put down.

I haven't played too many games from this year, but I did pick up Crash Fever a few months ago and have probably spent more time with that overall than anything else.

DQ VII and DQ VIII (3DS) for sure.

Edited by cprmauldin

7 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

DQ VII and DQ VIII (3DS) for sure.

Oh, hey. That's true, VIII did come out this year. Well, I like having it on the go and I like the additions, but I may overall like the PS4 version more. Of course, I absolutely tore through it as quickly as possible since I beat the PS2 version like 5 months before the 3DS version came out. I know that colored my opinion.

I'll add one more "not from this year," new game I played along with Bloodborne.

Shantae: Half Genie Hero - A good platformer and overall fun time with some great animation for characters/enemies, catchy stage music, and good stages. The transformation system makes it fun to return to stages to look for new secrets, and the game has a fair difficulty to it. I actually went through the effort to platinum it, which was fun to replay the game as fast as possible and 100% again!

It was a buy I didn't expect to like so much, so I definitely wanted to mention it. Glad it was on sale over Black Friday weekend!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

On 12/6/2017 at 10:08 PM, eal said:

Oh, hey. That's true, VIII did come out this year. Well, I like having it on the go and I like the additions, but I may overall like the PS4 version more. Of course, I absolutely tore through it as quickly as possible since I beat the PS2 version like 5 months before the 3DS version came out. I know that colored my opinion.

I was planning on doing a PS2 playthrough before it's release too, but I never got around to it. In the end, I think it was for the better. I beat the game a few times back in the day, but the #DS version felt fresh because it had been a few years.

Super Mario Odyssey gets my vote.  I can’t believe how good the game is.  It’s the best Mario game since Mario 3 and World in my opinion.  Those are also my three favorite Mario games as well.  I got 638 Power Moons and can’t  stop playing. 

It’s also the only game I finished this year, so there’s that lol. 

I need to buy Zelda...

It would have to be Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for me. Though Tekken 7 and EO5 come very close.

Edited by Twinkie

2017 was a really good year for video games, like really good. I've had more fun with video games this year compared to previous ones. Maybe its because games from my favorite franchise's have been released this years, many arguably the apex of their franchises. I won't be including ports, even if they're my favorite games (sorry Dragon Quest 8 3>) So here's my top five rambling:

5. Xenoblade 2- In a good video game trilogy, the third entry will be the most polished and refined, having sorted what works and doesn't work to create a fitting farewell for the series. Xenoblade 2 is kinda like that. Sure, it has some questionable elements like certain character artstyles and a voice dub that dips more into questionable than good, maybe it still has that series trademark convolution (Poppi's third form sidequest....) and yeah, compared to the other big nintendo games of this year, it might seem a bit lacking. But god damn, if this isn't my favorite anime of the year. The setting is the most ambitious and inspired in the series, taking place on several living, moving titans which the world building and level design are creatively designed around. The very first titan takes place on a moving deer, its back full of windswept plains and trees that burst into the sky while its head is visible swaying in the distance, and they only get more impressive from there. The story and characters in this world are top notch, giving it life and texture, and more importantly to save it through a long, varied and well paced main quest that in several senses reminds me of something like Grandia. Gameplay wise, it feels like the fitting apogee to the series in that everything been streamlined yet its still one of the most densest rpgs I've played in a while. The battle system is especially a delight, with a focus on building up combos to create elemental seals and then shattering them for massive damage, its quite cathartic and the amount of rare blades (35 in total, as well as countless generic ones) adds a surprising amount of strategy to it. The sheer amount of content and journey based storyline makes Xenoblade 2 feel like a good ole ps2 jprg, where sure it wasn't the most polished but it had a ton of heart. The soundtrack also helps.

4. Hollow Knight- Hollow Knight is without a doubt the biggest bargain of the year. A massive interconnected metroidvania dripping with secrets and lore along with tons of options for build development. That wasn't Dark Souls 3 I was describing but an indie game made by a 2 person team that's selling for 20 euro. This is the best metroidvania I've played since Cave Story, no other game in the genre nails that sense of wanderlust of exploration into the unknown and it feels liberating getting new moves and realising you can utilise in previous areas. The battle system is polished to a sheen in terms of feedback, nowhere is this better exemplified than in the brutally hard bossfights where you'll die over and over again just because they're that good. And its all wrapped in a beautifully animated artstyle that is grotesquely cute and charming at the same time. Whatever way you look at it, Hollow Knight is a brilliant game.

3. Assassin's Creed Origins- 2017 was home to two great video game series comebacks in my opinion. Both games went back to their roots on what made their respective franchise's so good while also moving forward in a number of areas. One was a masterpiece that will arguably be studied for years to come whilst the other is Assassins Creed Origins. That's not a disservice against the game, lemme tell you why. First and foremost, Assassin's Creed Origins is the biggest technical achievement of 2017. They actually recreated Ancient Egypt. Not just a few cities tenuously connected by some empty countryside but a whole country where bustling cities melt into hinterlands filled with numerous villages that are connected through the great river and road trade networks. A country with scorching deserts, rich Nile river vallies, verdant green mountains and massive pyramids that dominate the landscape. It's not only a massive world but an interesting one too. Gone is the ubisoft bloat (mostly), the places of Origin's Egypt have character to them, actual people that Bayak can help on his journey. The revamped souls-like combat system combined with the open ended level design makes it a joy to play as well as watch. Besides a few quibbles (the main story), this is a triumphant comeback considering the series recent history. Assassins Creed is back.

2. Yakuza Zero- I've never had this much fun in a video game, it reminds me of why I play them in the first place. God bless this series.

1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild- An achievement in rediscovery, in breathing new life into one of gaming's oldest series. In reconciling the traditions of Zelda with the modern elements of game design. This will rightfully be discussed in years to come as the defining game of this generation. An absolute triumph.