Sign in to follow this  
Cranberry

Farewell Dragon Quest X Wii

Back in January of 2012 I wanted to check out the newest Dragon Quest game and bought Dragon Quest X for my Wii.  At the time, due to the IP block I played the game entirely offline.  For 6 months, my whole DQX world was the tutorial and the extended offline campaign.  With help from Mimas and Saigan, in June I succesfully got a VPN working and went online for the first time.  My little world got a lot bigger!

Now, after several years of faithful service, Square-Enix is discontinuing service for the Wii version of the game.  For me the humble Wii is going full circle.  Once again, it will return to offline only as starting on 11/16/2017 the Wii forever loses online access to Dragon Quest X.

In spite of all it's flaws and struggles, this version of the game carried me a long ways for a long time.  I'm going to miss the trusty Wii, it really was my gateway that brought me into an incredible game, allowed me to meet some really unique people, and really helped bring me into the Dragon Quest community.

This is not the end for ol Cranberry.  With the shutdown of the Wii, I transition to the Switch version.  Thus I will still be around on DQX.

Interestingly, with the version 4 update and the Wii's shutdown, the Wii does gain an exclusive feature.  After the 11/16/2017 update, the extended offline campaign is being removed from the continuing platforms and is being replaced with a cut scene viewer online that lets you view some cut scenes from the offline mode.  Only the Wii will still be able to actually play that offline campaign.  As the Wii departs, it takes a small little piece of the game with it.  The piece that drew me into Dragon Quest X, and for 6 months was my main game.

Wait, extended offline is being removed from existing installations of the game? Boooooo!

This morning, to a firework filled sky, we said farewell to the Wii as it signed off, for the final time.

Que, sera, sera. Whatever will be will be. The future's not ours to see. Que, sera, sera.

Edited by eal