foxfirenelli

Delusional Dragon Warrior

I have tried out the various fonts and had the same trouble as before, unfortunately.  :{  I'm placing the files in the "font" folder and use the following script lines:

Font.default_name = ["dragon-quest-ds"]
Font.default_name = ["dragon-warrior-1"]
Font.default_name = ["dw-font"]

Result: 115374141_ErrorFont.png.9eaaa049d4dd9d6799f5ed336b59f0af.png

Font.default_name = ["nimzo"]

Result: 389453815_NimzoFont.png.af7f754bc74112a05eceb9a402287d27.png

The other version of "nimzo" looks similar.  Additionally, I installed them on the computer after trying them only in the font folder.  I tried placing the font script before all other custom scripts and after.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:01 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

I've never run across one myself, but I was under the impression that Dragon Potions were one-time use.

I looked into this and found that it was infinite use.

Wow, that is a bummer it won't even load.

6 hours ago, Woodus said:

Wow, that is a bummer it won't even load.

I agree!  Fortunately, I found the issue after looking at troubleshooting threads on Reddit, RPG Maker Central, Steam Community, and RPG Maker Web.  I was using the filename rather than the name of the font.  The DS font is off and the NES fonts behave oddly.  I'm guessing this is related to the font size, but I haven't done any experimenting.  Garrick Bold, as suggested by @Erdrick The Hero, works great!  It's too early to say for certain, but it doesn't look like I will have to adjust any message windows with it either.

DS: 694380924_DSFONT.png.f3a6cdd8f92b97eb536d883dc66086d8.png

Dragon Warrior 1:funky.png.31b99c59e7648f049473db530789b3ac.png

Dragon Warrior I: funky2.png.9e9f156e88efa77e9f23f0af7e9d79a5.png

Garrick Bold: garrick.png.6d827f7e00a485464f6f805f632a5dc0.png

Cool, I like that Garrick Bold font, looks better than the Arial style font from before :thumbsup:

It takes a lot of tweaking to get the classic DW font (or any font that the default text boxes weren't designed with) to work. It's a very involved process and requires going into the scripts for each text box and adjusting the pixel sizes of the text areas themselves. It's really silly. So the reason text get stretched is because there is more room allowed than there are characters, and vice versa when it gets smushed is because there are more characters than allowed space. It was a really grueling trial and error process I had to go through for both DWCs to make things look right and not fun at all.

Edited by hawkeye77o4
  • Like 2

I updated the demo file to fix minor glitches I have found so far.  Saved game files wouldn't be negatively affected, though "Journey Journal" entry will remain incorrect if game was saved after a certain point.  I had to leave the font as "Times New Roman" for the time being.  Garrick Bold had boxes instead of arrows in the status window, so I thought I better keep test playing it.

6 hours ago, hawkeye77o4 said:

It takes a lot of tweaking to get the classic DW font (or any font that the default text boxes weren't designed with) to work. It's a very involved process and requires going into the scripts for each text box and adjusting the pixel sizes of the text areas themselves. It's really silly. So the reason text get stretched is because there is more room allowed than there are characters, and vice versa when it gets smushed is because there are more characters than allowed space. It was a really grueling trial and error process I had to go through for both DWCs to make things look right and not fun at all.

Of every frustrating thing I've encountered in any RPG Maker I've used, that takes the cake.  I figured it was font size related, but my oh my.  Kudos to your dedication for detail!  You did a fantastic job because I would have never known any different.

Edited by foxfirenelli