Sign in to follow this  
Sword_of_Dusk

Using the power of time travel- A question of ethics

I'm keeping this short and sweet. While you can feel free to talk about time travel in any way you see fit, the primary purpose of this topic is to ask one simple question:

If you could travel through time, how would you use such a gift?

With such power at your fingertips, you could easily alter your, or someone else's, fate. For better or worse. However, with such an ability comes the question of whether or not doing anything to affect the timeline is right. What you might see as a small change could have a massive effect on the world. You have to approach any potential temporal shenanigans with the same gravity as a life or death decision.

So, what do you do?

I often wish I had a goofy watch like in that movie Clockstoppers so I can go back like 5-20 seconds back in time so I can fix minor mistakes so I don't look like a dum-dum or to make myself look more impressive by knowing something I wouldn't have otherwise known unless someone told me, which they did, which is why I turned back time.

• Upvote 1

With great power comes great responsibility.

As with time travel comes the butterfly effect. I could easily cause mass chaos without meaning to just by doing so much as stepping on a butterfly. (cue A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury)

I think that if I possessed such power I would avoid altering history and rather just observe it from afar. That's assuming I can travel both forwards and backwards in time (experts suggest time travel is one way).

I'd use the powers for my own means. Basically stopping myself from doing stupid things or to obtain items from the past that I want.

Yangus hit it. Now, convincing myself not to do stupid things would be the hard part.

I saw a movie about that 2 years ago called Project Almanac, before we got the bob-ombed Super Light localization and Dragon Quest Heroes 1: The World Tree's Woe and The Blight Below. The movie had some fun moments, like the protagonist's sister getting revenge on her bully, and one of his friends getting the science class thing right after some failed attempts, until the dark revelation that a plane crashed and the time traveling had some ripple effects. It's also a factor in Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, where XI's hero used it to save Veronica and turn the tables on Homer's OP dark orb protection, although defeating Urnoga (Madesagora, Nadraga and whoever the Version 4 villain of X's successor) early, allowed the true villain Nizzelpha to regain his body and once again rule over the world with an iron fist. So time travel may be fun, but it has dire consequences which I'm just going by those alone.

Time travel is a bad power for me to have. I would abuse it to the maximum degree. Most superpowers would make me a hero... Time travel almost certainly sees me become a villain.

Sticking to my 5-20 seconds time travel, I'd be a total dick about it. Tell off someone I don't like, give a candid opinion. At the very least, I'd be much more forward.

I'd punch 7th grade me.

Eat $#!&, past me. 

I would travel back to middle ages observe the eras but not interact with it i dont want to couse a time paradox

Lottery for me. Change a few old mistakes I made. Live the lazy life. I really have few true goals in life outside raising my kids right. So, lots of money, volunteer some but mainly putz around the house. Not much different than now.

I'd make sure to go back and stop myself from being interested in two particular girls from my high school years. Especially the one from my senior year.

I'd make sure to go back and stop myself from being interested in two particular girls from my high school years. Especially the one from my senior year.

That exact thing would have saved me 10 years and a whole marriage/divorce.

I don't think I'd use it at all, simply because I'd be unable to reconcile it with myself. I don't think a person's mistakes should define them for life, or leave them unable to pursue happiness in the future, by going back and changing myself, I'm admitting that the past does define me.

I'd jump at the power to change the future though, but I kind of already have that power.