Sign in to follow this  
Avenger

Suggested VPN's?

Assuming I don't set up the VPN via AWS what are some good reduced lag options? I heard soft-ether has some lag and disconnects, true? I used to use Overplay for Japanese transactions so is that good option? Any others? I'm getting ready for the Switch version next week.

I use IPVanish and have had no issues, and they were singing the praises of another VPN (I don't remember the name... ^^; ) on team chat the other day.

I have mine set up on a Raspberry Pi to try to still make it portable ;)

Soft Ether totally depends on the person who's VPN you are tapping into. Some will be stable and some won't be. The main advantage of Soft Ether is that it's free and easy to setup. But you will face frustrations of sudden disconnects and bad connections at times.

If you want stability, SoftEther is not your best bet. But it is one of the few true no-cost options.

I use IPVanish and have had no issues, and they were singing the praises of another VPN (I don't remember the name... ^^; ) on team chat the other day.

https://mudfish.net/

For just 2$ you get a VPN that also decreases ping a bit. It runs on a pay per traffic plan where you pay for how much data you use. 2$ gets you about 25GB of data and will last several months. I've used it for a week now on DQX and i'm at 24.24GB left.

It's fast, I haven't d/ced yet, and connecting to a single server, compared to SoftEther how you have to change servers when they go down, means you don't have to change your password every time you login.

Edited by マール

For just 2$ you get a VPN that also decreases ping a bit. It runs on a pay per traffic plan where you pay for how much data you use. 2$ gets you about 25GB of data and will last several months. I've used it for a week now on DQX and i'm at 24.24GB left.

It's fast, I haven't d/ced yet, and connecting to a single server, compared to SoftEther how you have to change servers when they go down, means you don't have to change your password every time you login.

That sounds terrific. Thanks マ-ル!

Do you have a guide to setup a VPN on a Raspberry Pi?

I'm at work and don't recall the exact references I used, but what I do is run OpenVPN with one of the Japanese connection files provided by IPVanish (modified to look at a file to read in my login info), then run hostapd to broadcast it.

I haven't been bothered to write startup scripts yet, so when I turn it on I need to run OpenVPN, run 3 commands to tell it to use OpenVPN's tunnel connection, then run hostapd.

If that's not enough info to go by, let me know and I'll see if I can remember the more-specific details.

Edited by MKVarana

I'm at work and don't recall the exact references I used, but what I do is run OpenVPN with one of the Japanese connection files provided by IPVanish (modified to look at a file to read in my login info), then run hostapd to broadcast it.

I haven't been bothered to write startup scripts yet, so when I turn it on I need to run OpenVPN, run 3 commands to tell it to use OpenVPN's tunnel connection, then run hostapd.

If that's not enough info to go by, let me know and I'll see if I can remember the more-specific details.

Thanks, I've got the Pi working as an access point/bridge for now. Will try setting up up the VPN later.

For some reason when I connect to the ipvanish VPN I lose internet connection on the Pi?

If you mean the broadcasting internet signal, you'll need to tell hostapd (or whatever you're using to broadcast) to use the tunnel connection instead of the regular internet connection.  Basically, change any references from ETH0 (or whatever your network connection is called) to TUN0 (or whatever OpenVPN called your tunnel connection:  check your network connections after connecting to the VPN to see the exact name).

Edited by MKVarana

Thanks again for this recommendation. I was able to put $2.99 in my account for about 25 gigabytes and along with mhotspot, I got the Switch version of the game working.

If you mean the broadcasting internet signal, you'll need to tell hostapd (or whatever you're using to broadcast) to use the tunnel connection instead of the regular internet connection.  Basically, change any references from ETH0 (or whatever your network connection is called) to TUN0 (or whatever OpenVPN called your tunnel connection:  check your network connections after connecting to the VPN to see the exact name).

Yeah, I'm using hostapd.

I'm losing internet connection on eth0, I can't ping after starting the VPN.

I was following this guide (but using ipvanish): https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-vpn-access-point/

Oh nice, looks like your guide mentions that tunnel stuff I was talking about...lol.  (I had to just figure that out, since none of the guides I referenced mentioned it... ^ ^; )

You'll need to run the lines in step 13 every time you boot the Pi (or write a script to do so), as they don't stick.

Got it to work eventually, decided to start from scratch and installed a fresh version of Stretch which turned out to be a mistake since they changed the way networking works in that release, but eventually got it to work. I realised my mistake was that I created the wireless hotspot on the same network address as my main network, changing that fixed my issues.

Great! Glad you got it working. :)

Hit another snag, seems the Switch can't see the network unless I turn off the security. Do you mind sharing your hostapd config?

Works fine otherwise. :P

Edit: never mind, seems to work now?

Edited by Chris

Here's my config, if you still need it:

interface=wlan0

ssid=myssid
hw_mode=g
channel=6
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa=2