Sign in to follow this  
Psaro

Rank the Zenithian Trilogy

I'd go V, IV, and VI.

V has the party chat on DS which edges it slightly over IV. Both are excellent games. VI is good, but I don't have the same feeling about that game as I do the other two Zenethian games for some reason.

V > IV > VI

V and IV are both revolutionary games for their time, and hold up just as strong today. I think it's partly the time of which I played it, but VI just didn't impact me as much. VI is when HeartBeat started to develop the series, and their approach to story-telling through vignettes just didn't pack as much punch as the games prior.

VI first due to being my all-time favorite, now tied with XI, while XI is objectively better VI does have a soft spot in my heart, the story blew my mind and I still remember the amazing sense of wonder when I realized I could choose classes, this is the game that I have replayed the most, I have probably done every path to Hero, from Sage and Gladiator straight to Hero, also Armamentalist -> Priest -> Sage -> Hero, Armamentalist -> Fighter -> Gladiator (armamentalist is my favorite class), and Paladin -> Warrior -> Gladiator -> Hero, Luminary -> Hero on my last playthrough was like playing on Hard mode and just Ranger is missing and honestly the prospect doesn't appeals me since that class is plain useless. Now I know my way around both worlds but back then it was amazing having to explore and figure out things, I know people hate it due to the lack of hand-holding and "feeling lost", for me it was always part of the adventure and a strength rather than a weakness of this game.

Then V, it has a special place for me due to being my first dragon quest and what introduced me to the series, I loved it enough that after I beat it, I went back to my save before the wedding and chose Bianca instead. Then DS came out and I of course chose Debora and I think she's the better wife, Bianca was so unlikeable to me in the localization (Stop saying useless to beast or man what does that even mean!) and Debora is hilarious, plus the other wives don't do anything the daughter and son can't, while Debora can support and deal damage herself with Hela's Hammer though thats about it, after playing 6, 7 and 9 I really crave character building in these games and V has none, and the monster recruitment is just uhh, only the Stone Golem is worth it, your human characters do everything the monsters do and better so why bother recruiting monsters?

I've never played IV and don't really find a reason to do so.  

Edited by dreamtrain