Octopath Traveler

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Meh. FF commitments are like Stop signs in parking lots, completely optional, simply suggestions.

Except for getting Gogo in Final Fantasy VI. That is the #1 priority once the freedom to explore the World of Ruin pops up.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn it gooie, your post above (post #16) makes me wish I could play this!

You can take it's location as some kind of clue as to the locations of the remaining 7.  Once I sussed it out I sought out every single one of the basic job shrines before continuing.  It opens so man

I did.....in the far off future. 🤪

Going through everyone for their first chapters, and Sunshade is the next town I visited to recruit Primrose and play her opening, after my main Therion, Alfyn then H'aanit.

10 hours ago, Tiael said:

Going through everyone for their first chapters, and Sunshade is the next town I visited to recruit Primrose and play her opening, after my main Therion, Alfyn then H'aanit.

I suppose if Primrose didn't exist in this game ( which thankfully she does) I would've considered Therion as a main instead.  From his snarky attitude down to his obvious ability to steal items in fights, He's a party member I just want in there most of the time.  Alfyn would also be a favorite of mine.  His concoctions have come in very handy, and since most monsters carry concoction ingredients anyway, he synergizes well with Therion.

I've just found the job shrines for the subclasses.  Once you find one it shouldn't be hard to deduce where the others are.  I've got some good advice on subclassing for folks if it's wanted.

Got all 8 characters. Working on Therion's chapter 2 right now. Took down one of the side quest bosses over in Carrion. After this chapter I'll probably go do the Primrose chapter 2 next then off to do Tressa and Cyrus. I'm actually really liking Tressa more than I thought. She has proven to be useful in battle and her ability to find money randomly really helps.

• Like 1

Finished Alfyn's Chapter 2 last night, and H'aanit's today.  I'm going to do Ophilia Chapter 2 next, so she stops being so underleveled.  Also planning to shuffle some subclasses around some, as I don't like what some ended up with. 

Finished both Therion and Primrose's chapter 2's. Going to make my way to do Tressa and Cyrus next. I've got Ophilia with me to level her up a bit. Haven't touched sub classes yet. Mostly because I haven't been looking for the shrines. I found the Huntress one on accident.

24 minutes ago, Democrobot said:

Finished both Therion and Primrose's chapter 2's. Going to make my way to do Tressa and Cyrus next. I've got Ophilia with me to level her up a bit. Haven't touched sub classes yet. Mostly because I haven't been looking for the shrines. I found the Huntress one on accident.

You can take it's location as some kind of clue as to the locations of the remaining 7.  Once I sussed it out I sought out every single one of the basic job shrines before continuing.  It opens so many doors, gameplay-wise.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

You can take it's location as some kind of clue as to the locations of the remaining 7.  Once I sussed it out I sought out every single one of the basic job shrines before continuing.  It opens so many doors, gameplay-wise.

I kinda figured they would be in those areas. I've been slacking on my exploration. I'll probably do more while I grind up some of my weaker party members for their chapter 2's

9 hours ago, Democrobot said:

I kinda figured they would be in those areas. I've been slacking on my exploration. I'll probably do more while I grind up some of my weaker party members for their chapter 2's

I'm not much better: I've fought none of the side bosses.  Still, I made it a point to track down the shrines.  Which is your main?

6 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

I'm not much better: I've fought none of the side bosses.  Still, I made it a point to track down the shrines.  Which is your main?

Primrose is my main. I've been using Cyrus and Tressa a lot. The last slot is usually whomever I need for the chapter. Right now it is Ophilia since she was the weakest. She's actually putting in work with her healing. I may keep her around after and swap out Tressa or Cyrus for a bit.

7 hours ago, Democrobot said:

Primrose is my main. I've been using Cyrus and Tressa a lot. The last slot is usually whomever I need for the chapter. Right now it is Ophilia since she was the weakest. She's actually putting in work with her healing. I may keep her around after and swap out Tressa or Cyrus for a bit.

Prim is my main as well, and Alfyn and Therion are perennial MVPs, though I rotate party members frequently.  I have done up to ch.  2 for Prim, H'aanit, Cyrus Alfyn and Ophilia and am about to do Tressa's.  I just fought an optional boss near Quarrycrest and got a kick-awesome sword which I gave to my Olberic. 

In terms of jobs and skills Prim is a Dancer / Scholar, with all skills mastered for both.  I may experiment with other classes with her to get more perks, but subbing Scholar on her has been awesome so far.  Great nuker.

30 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Prim is my main as well, and Alfyn and Therion are perennial MVPs, though I rotate party members frequently.  I have done up to ch.  2 for Prim, H'aanit, Cyrus Alfyn and Ophilia and am about to do Tressa's.  I just fought an optional boss near Quarrycrest and got a kick-awesome sword which I gave to my Olberic. 

In terms of jobs and skills Prim is a Dancer / Scholar, with all skills mastered for both.  I may experiment with other classes with her to get more perks, but subbing Scholar on her has been awesome so far.  Great nuker.

I really have no clue who will get which subclass. Primrose as a scholar has appealed to me since between her, Tressa, and Ophilia, I would basically cover all magic.

7 minutes ago, Democrobot said:

I really have no clue who will get which subclass. Primrose as a scholar has appealed to me since between her, Tressa, and Ophilia, I would basically cover all magic.

I've got a few hints, if you want them.  I gathered a couple from online arenas and filled in the blanks myself.  It might also help to cross-train a few members in a few different classes for Passive skills.  You can only use 4 perks at a time, but they can be from any job you've got experience in to that point.

Did you know if Olberic boosts his Defend command (being the only character who can do this) he can block lethal single-target damage for another character?  If he had enough dancer training to learn" Eye for an eye" (which is the first perk learned by a dancer, at 4 skills in), this could dovetail  into counter damage to the offender, for example.

Edited by The Dog of Zahan
13 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

I've got a few hints, if you want them.  I gathered a couple from online arenas and filled in the blanks myself.  It might also help to cross-train a few members in a few different classes for Passive skills.  You can only use 4 perks at a time, but they can be from any job you've got experience in to that point.

Did you know if Olberic boosts his Defend command (being the only character who can do this) he can block lethal single-target damage for another character?  If he had enough dancer training to learn" Eye for an eye" (which is the first perk learned by a dancer, at 4 skills in), this could dovetail  into counter damage to the offender, for example.

I'm down for some tips.

10 minutes ago, Democrobot said:

I'm down for some tips.

Cool!  This is a lengthy post, so pay attention class!

Okay, Primrose subbing Scholar we've covered, but make sure she has Second Wind from her own skillset equipped.  Scholar is expensive SP-wise, so this helps her not lean too hard on your supply of Inspiriting Plums so much.

If you want to make Prim a physical powerhouse instead, I've heard Thief is a good choice.  It only adds one weapon to her list (the sword) but it adds two double-hit knife attacks (steal HP and Steal SP), plus her high speed rating enables her to effectively use the thief's Divine Skill (an AoE Knife stab that scales damage off Speed stats) better than even Therion himself.

Speaking of Therion, I've found subbing him as a Dancer is a decent choice.  While it doesn't add any new weapons to his list, gives him a minor speed boost and a secondary skillset of buffs for others he can use when not stealing or stabbing.

Olberic makes a surprisingly good candiate for carrying the Apothecary subclass.  Why should powerhouse Olberic sub Apoth?  Because Apoth has the highest damaging single-hit, non-divine skill in the game, Amputation.  Put a good axe in Olberic's bear-like hands and he'll be an even better damage dealer.  Plus, for dueling (even though it's technically a dirty trick, and beneath his character), Empoison is a great backup skill.  Most of the dueling candidates have moves that cause Olberic to have downtime, and plus, he can't boost constantly without a good reserve to back him up... BUT... empoison works 100% of the time, and can be boosted or recast for extra turns of poison.  It's one of few poison skills in an RPG I don't find beneath the effort it takes that could be spent on direct damage.

I gave Warrior subclass to H'aanit to expand her utility without needing to lean on her limited beast uses.  It gives her 4 out of 6 weapon types to play with, and the most rando-multi-hit physical skills in the game.  Beast captures are still vital for her Provoke matches, but Warrior means she can save those limited castings for when it matters most.

Ophilia can expand her support options beyond healing with the help of the Merchant subclass.  Just give her Donate BP and she'll waste fewer turns gathering her own BP. 

I used to have Alfyn sub Merchant, but decided later he already has concoctions to boost other's BP gains, so it was a wasted spot... but train him in Merchant long enough to learn the "Endless Items" perk, as it works with the items he uses AND the Concoction reagents when he brews, too.  That perk gives any item it's carrier uses a 25% chance of not being used up.  Again, this also counts towards Alfyn's concoct ability, too!

I know I'm being a bit longwinded, but these are the best combos I've learned, either through experience or study, for the basic subclasses, but I've also read a bit about the advanced classes, too.

As Cyrus says:  "Thus ends your lesson."  :)

18 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Cool!  This is a lengthy post, so pay attention class!

Okay, Primrose subbing Scholar we've covered, but make sure she has Second Wind from her own skillset equipped.  Scholar is expensive SP-wise, so this helps her not lean too hard on your supply of Inspiriting Plums so much.

If you want to make Prim a physical powerhouse instead, I've heard Thief is a good choice.  It only adds one weapon to her list (the sword) but it adds two double-hit knife attacks (steal HP and Steal SP), plus her high speed rating enables her to effectively use the thief's Divine Skill (an AoE Knife stab that scales damage off Speed stats) better than even Therion himself.

Speaking of Therion, I've found subbing him as a Dancer is a decent choice.  While it doesn't add any new weapons to his list, gives him a minor speed boost and a secondary skillset of buffs for others he can use when not stealing or stabbing.

Olberic makes a surprisingly good candiate for carrying the Apothecary subclass.  Why should powerhouse Olberic sub Apoth?  Because Apoth has the highest damaging single-hit, non-divine skill in the game, Amputation.  Put a good axe in Olberic's bear-like hands and he'll be an even better damage dealer.  Plus, for dueling (even though it's technically a dirty trick, and beneath his character), Empoison is a great backup skill.  Most of the dueling candidates have moves that cause Olberic to have downtime, and plus, he can't boost constantly without a good reserve to back him up... BUT... empoison works 100% of the time, and can be boosted or recast for extra turns of poison.  It's one of few poison skills in an RPG I don't find beneath the effort it takes that could be spent on direct damage.

I gave Warrior subclass to H'aanit to expand her utility without needing to lean on her limited beast uses.  It gives her 4 out of 6 weapon types to play with, and the most rando-multi-hit physical skills in the game.  Beast captures are still vital for her Provoke matches, but Warrior means she can save those limited castings for when it matters most.

Ophilia can expand her support options beyond healing with the help of the Merchant subclass.  Just give her Donate BP and she'll waste fewer turns gathering her own BP. 

I used to have Alfyn sub Merchant, but decided later he already has concoctions to boost other's BP gains, so it was a wasted spot... but train him in Merchant long enough to learn the "Endless Items" perk, as it works with the items he uses AND the Concoction reagents when he brews, too.  That perk gives any item it's carrier uses a 25% chance of not being used up.  Again, this also counts towards Alfyn's concoct ability, too!

I know I'm being a bit longwinded, but these are the best combos I've learned, either through experience or study, for the basic subclasses, but I've also read a bit about the advanced classes, too.

As Cyrus says:  "Thus ends your lesson."  :)

This was quite useful. However, poor Tressa got ignored all during this lesson. I guess she's gonna go spread rumours about you now :P

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Democrobot said:

This was quite useful. However, poor Tressa got ignored all during this lesson. I guess she's gonna go spread rumours about you now :P

D'oh! My mistake.  I put her as thief so she could acquire everything an enemy party has to offer, and to add more weapon types to her repertoire.  Plus, with Share SP and Donate BP, and Steal SP, and her innate perk of Endless Items, she becomes a decent supporter.  Sorry!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

D'oh! My mistake.  I put her as thief so she could acquire everything an enemy party has to offer, and to add more weapon types to her repertoire.  Plus, with Share SP and Donate BP, and Steal SP, and her innate perk of Endless Items, she becomes a decent supporter.  Sorry!

That's the same train of thought I was on with her. Since I finished Tressa and Cyrus yesterday, today I'll be grinding some of my weaker members a bit while I look for some shrines. Pretty sure they won't be hard to find a few of them. Just need to stop being lazy :P

10 hours ago, Democrobot said:

That's the same train of thought I was on with her. Since I finished Tressa and Cyrus yesterday, today I'll be grinding some of my weaker members a bit while I look for some shrines. Pretty sure they won't be hard to find a few of them. Just need to stop being lazy :P

I've finished Chapter 2 as everyone so far, at about 42 hours, give or take, and lest I forget him again, I gave Cyrus the last job left, Cleric, because his stats support it, and even though it doesn't give him any new weapons, it gives him plenty of utility magically.  He can be the red mage, if you will, while Prim is the more effective magic DPSer in my group, even though technically he still has higher E.Atk.

Also, in case I didn't mention yet, even if you change subclass, the passive perks you've earned in other jobs can still be used. I gave Prim SP Saver from Merchant, Elemental enhancement from Scholar, and Second Wind and Show goes on from Dancer.

I've given Olberic Eye for an Eye from Dancer, too, which coupled with his tanky defenses and higher than usual evasion ( lots of Silent gear) makes him virtually unbeatable in duels.  He dodges the blows that come in and gives out his own in return.

Edited by The Dog of Zahan

Does anyone actually know how long of a game this is?

9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Nice, nice. This will keep me busy for a while yet.

So, I'm grinding Olberic up a bit. It's a slow process right now. But I got Scholar for Primrose so I can sub Cyrus out for a bit and work on both H'aanit and Olberic since they need the levels. Probably due to upgrade some equipment too here soon.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Democrobot said:

Nice, nice. This will keep me busy for a while yet.

So, I'm grinding Olberic up a bit. It's a slow process right now. But I got Scholar for Primrose so I can sub Cyrus out for a bit and work on both H'aanit and Olberic since they need the levels. Probably due to upgrade some equipment too here soon.

Yeah, new equipment sounds good.  To get more money, bring Tressa and have her collect from monsters when their HP is low, like stealing.  You'll get almost as much out of a single collect than you will out of the fight itself, tripling your income, basically.  It's money and equipment that's needed more than XP grinding in this game.

I've started my Chapter 3s with Primrose's.  Hot damn.

and now I've done both Primrose and Ophilia's Chapter 3s. No spoilers, but S*** GETS REAL for every character on their third chapter, it looks like.

Took down the Twin Falls side boss and Olberic is level 18 now. Going to get back into more chapter 2's since I'm a bit stronger now. Before I do any chapter 3's I will make sure to seek out the remaining subclasses. Olberic is part hunter right now and the small boost is just what he needed.