Octopath Traveler

People shouldn’t pay attention to review scores so much.

I agree. But unfortunately, it's the easiest way for people to get a "feel" of how good a game is, even though I think the actual review (not the review score) is a better way to get a "feel" of how good a game is (although I probably made a hypocrite out of myself).

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn it gooie, your post above (post #16) makes me wish I could play this!

You can take it's location as some kind of clue as to the locations of the remaining 7.  Once I sussed it out I sought out every single one of the basic job shrines before continuing.  It opens so man

I did.....in the far off future. 🤪

35 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

I agree. But unfortunately, it's the easiest way for people to get a "feel" of how good a game is, even though I think the actual review (not the review score) is a better way to get a "feel" of how good a game is (although I probably made a hypocrite out of myself).

People rely too much on others rather than their own instincts. I might listen to someone talk about a game or give a first impression, and that’s about all I need to know if I’ll like the product. With Octopath I’ve seen enough gameplay to know I’ll enjoy it regardless of what some schmuck who slaps a review score on it says. Plus with it being by the guys who made Bravely Defautl and Second, two games I enjoyed very much, that’s another element that makes me want to play the game.

35 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

People rely too much on others rather than their own instincts. I might listen to someone talk about a game or give a first impression, and that’s about all I need to know if I’ll like the product. With Octopath I’ve seen enough gameplay to know I’ll enjoy it regardless of what some schmuck who slaps a review score on it says. Plus with it being by the guys who made Bravely Defautl and Second, two games I enjoyed very much, that’s another element that makes me want to play the game.

I no longer care about the overall review score. I pay attention to individual reviewers. I look for people with similar tastes and sensibilities as me, and I look at what they have to say about something I’m interested in.

That being said, I won’t mindlessly believe or agree with whatever they’ve said. I’d take it into consideration, but also keeping the kind of people they are into consideration. I agree with most everything Movie Bob said about the original two Spider-Man movies, but I think Homecoming is better then he gives it credit for. I’ll still disagree with people whose opinions I give more weight then others.

There are at least a few instances where my opinion goes against the consensus. Thor: The Dark World was one of my favorite MCU movies, but it’s everyone else’s least favorite. Everyone thinks Sleepy Dogs is an okay game, but it’s my favorite open world game. Layton fans think Lady Layton sucked, but I liked it quite a bit. I mentioned Spider-Man movies above; I’m the only person on Earth that liked that awful dance Pete does in the middle of the street in 3.

Edited by eal
I no longer care about the overall review score. I pay attention to individual reviewers. I look for people with similar tastes and sensibilities as me, and I look at what they have to say about something I’m interested in.
That being said, I won’t mindlessly believe or agree with whatever they’ve said. I’d take it into consideration, but also keeping the kind of people they are into consideration. I agree with most everything Movie Bob said about the original two Spider-Man movies, but I think Homecoming is better then he gives it credit for. 
I’ll still disagree with people whose opinions I give more weight then others. There are at least a few instances where my opinion goes against the consensus. Thor: The Dark World was one of my favorite MCU movies, but it’s everyone else’s least favorite. Everyone thinks Sleepy Dogs is an okay game, but it’s my favorite open world game. Layton fans think Lady Layton sucked, but I liked it quite a bit. I mentioned Spider-Man movies above; I’m the only person on Earth that liked that awful dance Pete does in the middle of the street in 3.
I get it. I've now spent over 100 hours listening to RPG Backtrack podcast and I've figured out which people there are most like me. I hope one of them will review OT. Not that it's a huge deal, I mean I don't see myself buying a Switch until that DQ exclusive comes out (Joker 4 or a new DQM game maybe?) or at least for 2 years so I'm sure I'll pick it up used for $20 or less at some point.

I haven't read a "professional" game review in like  decade. I just youtube the game to see if I'll like it.

Anyway, people are uploading the bosses from the game... the sprites are freaking awesome. Reminds me of the Romancing SaGa games.

If it weren't for DQXI, this would end up being my favorite RPG this year.

2 hours ago, eal said:

This is cool. Apparently My Nintendo is giving you access to alternate Octopath Traveler box art. You have to print them yourself though.

https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/83df80de16f0f75c?imp=1eeca305928c7589a6db552b4e91f522b691b8f0%3Areward_list%3A1%3A1

It’s pretty easy to earn enough points for at least one as well.

Not bad!  I might have to actually do this! 

10 hours ago, Fates said:

I haven't read a "professional" game review in like  decade. I just youtube the game to see if I'll like it.

Anyway, people are uploading the bosses from the game... the sprites are freaking awesome. Reminds me of the Romancing SaGa games.

Excellent spritework.  One of my early favorites is H'aanit's snow leopard partner, Linde.  You get to see her when H'aanit summons her (which she can always do, other creatures have limited uses).

5 hours ago, eal said:

This is cool. Apparently My Nintendo is giving you access to alternate Octopath Traveler box art. You have to print them yourself though.

https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/83df80de16f0f75c?imp=1eeca305928c7589a6db552b4e91f522b691b8f0%3Areward_list%3A1%3A1

It’s pretty easy to earn enough points for at least one as well.

I can attest to that since I currently have 1070 Platinum Points (after getting the alternative Octopath Traveler box art and after getting 30 Platinum coins for signing in My Nintendo).

I'm enjoying Octopath so far! Got Primrose and Alfyn so far. Working up to Bolderfell.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Democrobot said:

I'm enjoying Octopath so far! Got Primrose and Alfyn so far. Working up to Bolderfell.

Same basic path I've taken so far. Starting with PRimrose, I went northwest to get Alfyn, Therion and H'aanit, then began to circle northeast from Sunshade to get Olberic, and Tressa.  Cyrus and Ophilia are next.  I've just arrived in Atlasdam so far.  So far my faves are Prim and Alfyn.  item-mixing classes are great in these kinds of games if you experiment with the ingredients and explore each option to find the best combos.  I'm grateful the game reminds you what mixture is which as you mix, if you've made it before, too.

My party is usually Prim and Alfyn and whoever has the weapons I need at any given time. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Same basic path I've taken so far. Starting with PRimrose, I went northwest to get Alfyn, Therion and H'aanit, then began to circle northeast from Sunshade to get Olberic, and Tressa.  Cyrus and Ophilia are next.  I've just arrived in Atlasdam so far.  So far my faves are Prim and Alfyn.  item-mixing classes are great in these kinds of games if you experiment with the ingredients and explore each option to find the best combos.  I'm grateful the game reminds you what mixture is which as you mix, if you've made it before, too.

My party is usually Prim and Alfyn and whoever has the weapons I need at any given time. 

I'm actually working on getting H'aanit right now. After that, I don't know where I'll go. I do know I'll be keeping Prim and Alf with me the whole game

2 hours ago, Democrobot said:

I'm actually working on getting H'aanit right now. After that, I don't know where I'll go. I do know I'll be keeping Prim and Alf with me the whole game

When I got Cyrus in, I temporarily subbed Alfyn out, but when I make my way to Ophilia's town, I'll see what I need.  I understand the importance of keeping characters at high levels of experience for this game, especially H'aanit or Olberic, 'cause they're path actions require them to fight alone.  One of those two will always be with me, too.

In preference, I probably like Prim, Alfyn and H'aanit the best so far. H'aanit especially has interesting capture / summon mechanics.

I'm a bit all over. Started Therion, made my way to Alfyn at Clearbrook, did his first chapter.

Went back to Bolderfall to do new path actions there, did some sidequests. Savescumming to steal 3% items.

Now at H'aanit's village on her chapter 1, after which I'll go back to the towns/areas and Provoke everything.

So much fun.

Also, holy #$*! the music.

Props to Yasunori Nishiki, who was unknown to me before this game.

He's done some other games and animes, but OT put him on my map.

At Exactly 12 hours of gametime, at the stroke of Midnight last night (I kid you not), I finally finished all 8 chapter 1s with the end of Ophilia's debut in Flamesgrace.  I like her backstory better than I thought I would going in, but I still favor Primrose's story over all.  Can't say I've found a story I "hate", but like the least?  Maybe Olberic's, 'cause I've been a disenfranchised knight in RPGs before already  Looking at FFT and maybe Tales of Vesperia... Yuri used to be a knight, right?  I KNOW Jack was one in Wild ARMs on the Playstation.  I've been the wandering warrior with the tragic past already.

Anyway, really enjoying all the characters so far, and am working up a few levels before I tackle Primrose Chapter 2.

Edited by The Dog of Zahan

Good (and bad) news regarding Octopath Traveler's sales (at least in the US).

So Nintendo and Square Enix severely underestimated Octopath Traveler sales (and Octopath Traveler did so well) to the point where you would have to wait 1-2 months until you can get a copy of Octopath Traveler on Amazon.

I hope that translates to potentially good news for the Nintendo Switch version of Dragon Quest XI, sales wise.

Same thing happened with Etrian Odyssey V on Amazon.

16 hours ago, Dakhil said:

Good (and bad) news regarding Octopath Traveler's sales (at least in the US).

So Nintendo and Square Enix severely underestimated Octopath Traveler sales (and Octopath Traveler did so well) to the point where you would have to wait 1-2 months until you can get a copy of Octopath Traveler on Amazon.

I hope that translates to potentially good news for the Nintendo Switch version of Dragon Quest XI, sales wise.

Impressive sales... I feel bad for those who are now waiting months for this.  It's awesome.

I finished Primrose chapter 2 last night.  Wow.  No spoilers, just... wow.

47 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

I finished Primrose chapter 2 last night.  Wow.  No spoilers, just... wow.

Spoiler alert, she’s been a man the whole time.

More good news for Octopath Traveler sales wise, but in the UK.

And that game [LEGO The Incredibles] just narrowly beat Octopath Traveler, Square Enix's unusually titled RPG for Nintendo Switch. It's actually a really good result for the game, as its sales are almost double that of Bravely Default (which is made by the same team back in December 2012) and more than double that game's sequel Bravely Second (release in 2016).

Indeed, the charts are so close that if we did this in terms of revenue, Octopath Traveler is No.1 due to its higher price tag. Octopath Traveler is the No.1 performing single platform game of the week.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-16-uk-charts-crash-bandicoot-holds-off-lego-incredibles-and-octopath-traveller-to-stay-no-1

Edited by Dakhil

Feel like I'm so slow, but I am bouncing between this and my Free Company commitments in FFXIV :d 

just got my 4th character and working on their first chapter, Primose.

Feel like I'm so slow, but I am bouncing between this and my Free Company commitments in FFXIV slimeys_ws-slimebigsmile.gif 

Meh. FF commitments are like Stop signs in parking lots, completely optional, simply suggestions.

4 hours ago, Tiael said:

Feel like I'm so slow, but I am bouncing between this and my Free Company commitments in FFXIV :d 

You mean Primrose is your 4th character, or is your first, and you're working on someone else for a 4th.  Who's your main? :D