Octopath Traveler

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'll give Alfyn and Primrose a try, thanks for the recommendations.

Glad you're willing to keep on trucking.   I know you want badly to like the game, and I hope I can help you get into it, friend.  I know the feeling of wanting to like a "good game", and not quite being into it.  I've tried a few well received games in other genres that I just couldn't feel happy with, you know?

I don't know much about Tressa's story, having not met her, but my SO played Alfyn and I played Primrose, and I've recruited Alfyn and Therion.  Those three are the ones I know best, and I'm most captivated with Primrose.  It's for good reasons though, those which I outlined before.

Don't feel bad if you just end up not liking anyone, but don't give up quite yet either.

Let me know how things turn out!  :)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn it gooie, your post above (post #16) makes me wish I could play this!

You can take it's location as some kind of clue as to the locations of the remaining 7.  Once I sussed it out I sought out every single one of the basic job shrines before continuing.  It opens so man

I did.....in the far off future. 🤪

Here's an interesting interview from the Octopath Travelers developers.

- Both are 33 years old and grew up during the golden era of SNES JRPGs with the gameplay and visual style of the time (pixel-art).

- When Takahashi entered Square-Enix, he wanted to do these kind of games but he was told that it was easier to develop more modern-looking games. After years of hard and successful work, he was finally able to do the kind of projects he initially wanted to work on.

- In terms of game mechanics, if Bravely was a spiritual successor of FFV, Octopath has been developped as a spiritual successor of FFVI

- He [Takahashi] wanted to work on a new IP with a strong visual style that players would enjoy.

- When the development of Octopath began, they made a demo exclusively in pixel-art. They then realized that it was prettier in their memories and that's why they decided to include modern effects with the Unreal Engine, especially lightning effects. They feel that it is a good mix between both generations.

- Nishiki-san grew up with games like Final Fantasy and the SaGa series. Both franchises have influenced his work on Octopath

- He initially wondered whether he should try to adapt to the global audience or keep his own style. He asked himself what Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy) would do in the same situation and therefore he finally decided to keep his own style.

- Octopath's OST is influenced by his love of clasical music, he mentionned Bach, and movie musics.

- The first demo has been downloaded 1,5 millions times.

- People's reactions to the demo were overwhelmingly positive, even more so in Europe than in Japan.

- their demo target was gamers in their 30s,40s who were seeking the same great sensations they had during the Golden Era of JRPGs.

- They felt that the Switch was the perfect platform for that with its ability to play 1h in bed before sleeping.

All fascinating stuff!  I'm so hyped for this game, you've got no idea.  :D  The idea of this game being inspired by FF6 is interesting, and very fitting.  The feel of the game as an ensemble piece like FF6 is very potent.  Also very glad the Switch is getting this, and I actually have one to play it on. Switch needs more killer games all it's own like this.

Edited by The Dog of Zahan
17 hours ago, eal said:

That’s basically the score they give every game.

What eal said. Famitsu scores really aren’t worth taking into consideration. At all.

How 'bout GameXplain?   'cause I just found this snippet.  Hasn't told me much I couldn'tve guessed for myself, but here it is!

Additional info:  here's another article, this one written by Nintendo Life.  Nothing much of us didn't already glean from the demo, but here it is anyway:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/hands_on_taking_the_path_less_traveled_in_octopath_traveler

Perhaps this video, as well.  It gives more specific info on character actions and uses.

One week to go!

34 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Had@YangustheLegendaryBandit change our cover photo for our Facebook Turn-based RPG group to an Octopath Traveler. We're pulling a good 100 new members/week thanks to that!

It did surprisingly work well. Same with the Final Fantasy IX banner we used.

• Like 1
On 7/8/2018 at 3:08 AM, Plattym3 said:

Had@YangustheLegendaryBandit change our cover photo for our Facebook Turn-based RPG group to an Octopath Traveler. We're pulling a good 100 new members/week thanks to that!

Wait you guys are running that group? It always makes me feel uneasy seeing forum members' real names.

I kind of sniffed it out already with all the FF3 posts tho...

Edited by Sumez
Wait you guys are running that group? It always makes me feel uneasy seeing forum members' real names.
I kind of sniffed it out already with all the FF3 posts tho...
When the Den went away for a few weeks in ? May of last year it made@YangustheLegendaryBandit and I very sad. So when I knew Woodus was going to attempt upgrades last Fall, I thought I'd need a place to get my gaming needs met if the site went down for an extended period of time again, so I created a Facebook group and asked my Twinsie to run it with me. Honestly expected a couple hundred people tops, but we're over 1400 now and I fully expect a few hundred more in July with Octopath Traveler out.

Also, not sure how many listen to Rpgamer.com's RPG Backtrack podcast, but one of the co-hosts joined a few months back and he and message each other back and forth a bunch and he's been pumping the group a bunch on his podcast, so I think that's boosted membership (as well as our timely, or timeless {FF9} covers)!

I just joined it because it kept appearing as a suggested group in my sidebar or whatever you call that.

I also completely appreciate a group dedicated to turn based RPGs in general, rather than the generic concept of Japanese RPGs. Not too much talk about western games, which I'm alright with, but I like having a focus on games instead of weebism.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
I just joined it because it kept appearing as a suggested group in my sidebar or whatever you call that.
I also completely appreciate a group dedicated to turn based RPGs in general, rather than the generic concept of Japanese RPGs. Not too much talk about western games, which I'm alright with, but I like having a focus on games instead of weebism.
It has turned out really well & I've got at least a half-dozen games added to my wishlist (SNES Treasure of Rudras being the latest) which was my secret side reason for making it - personal recommendations. We've only had to ban 4 people for getting too hateful & such.
  • Like 1

Got something fun and clever in store for the den the night before launch.  It ought to amuse folks here, I hope. 

Got something fun and clever in store for the den the night before launch.  It ought to amuse folks here, I hope. 
We're easily amused!

For those with an itch for more info on the game, here:

https://kotaku.com/how-octopath-travelers-structure-actually-works-1827478495

My secret surprise for the Octopath fans on the Den is almost ready.  I'll post info here soon!

My secret surprise is here!  I've done some tasteful pencil sketches of the Octopath Traveler cast as anthropomorphic (furry) characters in the art and music forum!

If anyone wants to kindly glance at my mad lunatic scribblings, the link to the thread is here.

https://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37901-octopath-traveler-fanart/

The scores for Octopath Traveler are coming in! Its Metacritic score is a 84, as of 12 July 2018 at 12:47PM (PDT), which is not bad so far. So far, the critics have consistently criticised the story aspect of Octopath Traveler.

19 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

The scores for Octopath Traveler are coming in! Its Metacritic score is a 84, as of 12 July 2018 at 12:47PM (PDT), which is not bad so far. So far, the critics have consistently criticised the story aspect of Octopath Traveler.

Sounds like they’re traveling the path of the octo with those 80+ scores.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

Yeah, I've seen a review or two, but trying not to beat myself over the head with the hype hammer too much on this last day.  Don't want to burn  myself out on it y'know.  What I have learned from the reviews and articles is there is no real uniting force in all these character's lives.  They just kinda come together and pursue separate goals together.  I still think this is okay though.  I'm still very excited to see where these stories are ultimately going... and looking forward to the fun on the way as we get them there.

Yeah, I've seen a review or two, but trying not to beat myself over the head with the hype hammer too much on this last day.  Don't want to burn  myself out on it y'know.  What I have learned from the reviews and articles is there is no real uniting force in all these character's lives.  They just kinda come together and pursue separate goals together.  I still think this is okay though.  I'm still very excited to see where these stories are ultimately going... and looking forward to the fun on the way as we get them there.

The criticisms I've seen is they really don't quite come together.
4 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
21 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

The criticisms I've seen is they really don't quite come together.

That is what I was driving at, yes:  They just sort of come together by chance, no looming common threat or anything.. they just pursue their own aims with each other's help, and the interactions between the 8 are not so robust as we might have hoped.  Still looking forward to it though!

• Like 1

That is what I was driving at, yes:  They just sort of come together by chance, no looming common threat or anything.. they just pursue their own aims with each other's help, and the interactions between the 8 are not so robust as we might have hoped.  Still looking forward to it though!
There's always something. Still sounds very promising, yes.

People shouldn’t pay attention to review scores so much.