Octopath Traveler

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Where are you guys seeing the special edition for preorder, and why on earth doesn't the Square Enix shop have it?!

I think they're referring to the Wayfarer's Edition, which is available to preorder on Best Buy or GameStop. It's unfortunately currently unavailable on Amazon.

The reason you don't see the Wayfarer's Edition on the Square Enix Store is because Nintendo's the publisher of Octopath Traveler in the West, not Square Enix (Square Enix's the publisher in Japan).

Edited by Dakhil
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn it gooie, your post above (post #16) makes me wish I could play this!

You can take it's location as some kind of clue as to the locations of the remaining 7.  Once I sussed it out I sought out every single one of the basic job shrines before continuing.  It opens so man

I did.....in the far off future. 🤪

18 hours ago, Sumez said:

Where are you guys seeing the special edition for preorder, and why on earth doesn't the Square Enix shop have it?!

Here's a few links to it.  I went to a brick-and-mortar location to preorder mine, but here's the online linkage.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/octopath-traveler-wayfarers-edition-switch

https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/octopath-traveler-wayfarers-edition/159800

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/octopath-traveler-wayfarers-edition-nintendo-switch/6219502.p?skuId=6219502

Note:  Best Buy is discontinuing it's "Gamer's Club Unlocked" 20% discount on new software.  You can't order or re-up it, but if you already have it, you can use it until it expires.

This thing comes with a pop-up diorama book with all 8 playables on it, a cloth map of their world of Orsterra, a soundtrack sample CD, and a replica coin of the realm, the gold Leaf.

In the display pictures, the pop-up is currently turned the stage of the tavern in the town of Sunshade, where Primrose starts her journey.  I'm happy for this, since she's going to be my main.

Edited by The Dog of Zahan

Something I came across:

“Octopath Traveler producer Masashi Takahashi from Square Enix, and director Keisuke Miyauchi from Acquire recently had an interview with Dengeki Online, where they talked about when development started, whether you’ll be able to skip recruiting the other characters, and whether DLC is planned.

Here are the highlights:

Dengeki: Regarding what you said regarding how long development took, was this game planned for the Nintendo Switch from the beginning?

Masashi Takahashi, producer: “That’s right. We began organizing development during a stage where nobody knew anything about the Nintendo Switch. We had a good relationship with Nintendo during the development of Bravely Default and Bravely Second, and that was the reason development began.”

Dengeki: Is there a New Game Plus in this game?

Takahashi: “Nope. We’ve made it so you can finish the game in one playthrough. However, depending on the order you go about things, the difficulty will organically change. There will be people who find some places easier because they went at it earlier, while those who play through the area later on will find a harder challenge.”

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/octopathdengeki2_thumb.png

Dengeki: Around how long will it take to beat the game?

Takahashi: “Keeping in mind that players will likely want to finish every character’s story, if you were to just go through the main story, it would take around 50-60 hours. If you were to play through the substories, optional dungeons, and fully experience everything the world has to offer through the use of path actions, it would take around 80-100 hours.”

Dengeki: Can you beat the game with just one character, as some sort of challenge run? (laughs)

Takahashi: “You can play without recruiting any other characters.”

Dengeki: Is there any DLC planned?

Takahashi: “We haven’t even thought of having DLC. The retail version is a complete game.””

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/06/17/octopath-traveler-dlc-planned-complete-game/#mtQxIjCMk4KoWcYK.99

Sounds like SquEnix has a new wunderkind in Asano, seeing how they've done so far.  Asano's Octopath is to SaGa as Bravely games are to Final Fantasy, it seems to me.

i also love how the game is designed as a complete-in-box experience.  That's a signifigant idea in today's world.  Who would've thought a complete game with no add-ons would become a "retro" idea?  With the same company publishing years worth of add-ons for it's flagship franchise, seems SquEnix has it's foot in both the realms that made them excel in the past and what they feel they must do to modernize.  It's odd, but when that strategy produces stuff like Octopath and Bravely games, it clearly works.

To pull myself back on topic of the game itself, I must pause to give thought to party comp and the like.  We all know by now who I'm going to main, but I'm beginning to wonder who Primrose should bring with her. 

Who here has decided who they will main? I'm a heavy lean towards Primrose.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:21 PM, Democrobot said:

Who here has decided who they will main? I'm a heavy lean towards Primrose.

Primrose for me, too.

I don't know the other characters well but Primrose already has my favor. She's pretty swanky and in battle I've had a lot of success with her. And she's cute too

5 hours ago, Democrobot said:

I don't know the other characters well but Primrose already has my favor. She's pretty swanky and in battle I've had a lot of success with her. And she's cute too

It's cool, Demo, we all know she's beautiful.   She knows it too.  Not in any particularly vain way, either.

I've said the reasons I love Primrose's story in other threads but here I go again, raving about her.

The severe adult themes appeal to me for some reason.  Lots of JRPGs tiptoe over this sort of stuff, or play sexy for laughs, like DQ ( which I love BTW), but to see the dirty unpleasant side of such things played so bald-faced like this is refreshing.  I can't even repeat half the things Master Helgenish calls her or says to her in this thread ( I like to keep my posts neat).

I also adore her femme fatale schemes, played for the good of the world even if motivated by personal vendetta.  After all, she's being brazenly sexy and trading on her body, but she's doing it to eliminate a vile criminal syndicate.

Most of all, I play her because I want to see her crawl her way back out of the gutter to a place where she can be free of her vendetta and her need for trickery.  It's not QUITE Pity for the character, more of an "I'm rooting for her" thing, moreso than all the other characters.  After all, most of the others have a cozy niche they could have fit into if ambition didn't pull them on the road.  Only Olberic has lost more in his life, and even he gets more respect in his world than her. Besides, I've played the disgraced knight before.  I've never played a character quite like Primrose.

My final word this evening:  doesn't it feel most fitting going into battle with her, with that hard driving yet elegant battle theme behind her?  Truly feels made for her, a whirling dervish of nimble death artfully stabbing and slicing through foe after foe.

Nice to see I'm not alone in my reasons for liking her. She's like a more serious version of Maya (one of my fav grils).

6 minutes ago, Democrobot said:

Nice to see I'm not alone in my reasons for liking her. She's like a more serious version of Maya (one of my fav grils).

I know, right?  Now if only Primrose could temporarily become a dragon...

5 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

I know, right?  Now if only Primrose could temporarily become a dragon...

I shudder at what kind of fan art that would create

9 hours ago, Democrobot said:

I shudder at what kind of fan art that would create

Given the other online communities I belong to, I know exactly what you mean.  I wouldn't be surprised.

13 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Given the other online communities I belong to, I know exactly what you mean.  I wouldn't be surprised.

Even Dragon Quest is not safe. I just wanted some cute family pictures of Debora et al and I end up with Bianca in the most undesirable of positions. Nuff said

Yeah, don't search for Dragon Quest V daughter unless you want your name on an FBI watch list.

DON'T!

I've been playing the Prologue Demo sparingly, to the point where I have a save file of Primrose 2 hours in.  I just recruited Alfyn to start with.  Fighting the Blotted Viper with the two of them was very fun.  The battles scale up nicely with the party size.

I think I'll recruit H'aanit next, then I'll have command of both men and beasts. :D 

15 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

I think I'll recruit H'aanit next, then I'll have command of both men and beasts. :D 

Let's hope Tumblr and DeviantArt don't get ideas from that

6 hours ago, Democrobot said:

Let's hope Tumblr and DeviantArt don't get ideas from that

From your keyboard to the internet's ears...  :P

Anyway, I went with Therion first, and then I hit the last 6 minutes of my time limit with the demo and stopped there.  I'm inside the manor he's trying to loot, but can go no further without the full game.

It's been a great demo,and can't wait to pick up where I left off next month!

• 2 weeks later...

I've reached the time limit of the demo and made my final save on the demo days ago, but that hardly matters anymore, now that the game itself is launching in a little under 2 weeks!  Awesome!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

Great find, Dakhil!  I have no doubt Octopath will be a hit.  I'm getting the Wayfarer edition for myself, and a standard edition for a friend, for a birthday.

...even though her birthday is in November.

Couldn't help it, I've had a major windfall lately, and I want the game to have as much success and publicity as possible!

So I played through the demo with one character (Tressa), and I regret to say, I'm not really getting the hype. I liked the game well enough, but it felt very generic to me and not like anything out of the ordinary (which was the impression I got from people's comments around the internet). I'm writing this not to complain about the game, but because I want to feel the hype, and I'm hoping there's just something that I have to "get".

I liked the combat system, and I like the idea of such a "basic" JRPG in modern times, but those are the only aspects that appealed to me.

The story and characters was extremely uninteresting, but I'm thinking playing as one of the other characters could potentially change my view on this. So I'm interested in hearing if anyone could recommend a character with a solid start to their story? Not just a character you personally like, but one whose context makes the game more appealing. I was hoping I'd resonate with a merchant character (like Torneko), but it didn't work. Her starting arc felt absurdly forced.

I was also hoping for a more open ended game. Once you leave the starting town it does feel like you can go where you want (aside from areas being restricted in the demo of course), but it also seems that when you choose a path, you are completely stuck to that particular path, with the only offshoots being slight detours to find a chest. It feels very cramped and completely prevents any sense of exploration, which is something I was hoping to get from this game. The fact that every area is almost identical, makes it feel like I am just following a conveyor belt, taking on random encounters along the way, until I get to my destination. Rather than walking about on my own, seeing the world.

The beautiful graphical style wore out pretty fast, too. I like the pixel art, but everything looks blurry, and brown. Every place is brown. Every outdoors area is just brown rocks. I'm hoping to see a lot more variation in the full game, but the demo didn't manage to appeal to me here.

On the subject of minor nitpicks, the game also does two things that really bothers me. One is the annoying delay between each text box when characters are exchanging dialog. It tests my patience, and makes it seems like they are constantly pausing, like those awkward scenes in the first Silent Hill.
Another is something that the remake of Radiant Historia also does - when lines aren't fully voiced and they just play a short voice sample from the same actor to go with the text. It has both the effect of some times purveying a different tone that is actually intended for that line, and when the voice clip is saying something different than the text, it messes with me trying to read the text. I think I'll play the full game with Japanese voices for this reason alone.

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

So I played through the demo with one character (Tressa), and I regret to say, I'm not really getting the hype. I liked the game well enough, but it felt very generic to me and not like anything out of the ordinary (which was the impression I got from people's comments around the internet). I'm writing this not to complain about the game, but because I want to feel the hype, and I'm hoping there's just something that I have to "get".

I liked the combat system, and I like the idea of such a "basic" JRPG in modern times, but those are the only aspects that appealed to me.

The story and characters was extremely uninteresting, but I'm thinking playing as one of the other characters could potentially change my view on this. So I'm interested in hearing if anyone could recommend a character with a solid start to their story? Not just a character you personally like, but one whose context makes the game more appealing. I was hoping I'd resonate with a merchant character (like Torneko), but it didn't work. Her starting arc felt absurdly forced.

I was also hoping for a more open ended game. Once you leave the starting town it does feel like you can go where you want (aside from areas being restricted in the demo of course), but it also seems that when you choose a path, you are completely stuck to that particular path, with the only offshoots being slight detours to find a chest. It feels very cramped and completely prevents any sense of exploration, which is something I was hoping to get from this game. The fact that every area is almost identical, makes it feel like I am just following a conveyor belt, taking on random encounters along the way, until I get to my destination. Rather than walking about on my own, seeing the world.

The beautiful graphical style wore out pretty fast, too. I like the pixel art, but everything looks blurry, and brown. Every place is brown. Every outdoors area is just brown rocks. I'm hoping to see a lot more variation in the full game, but the demo didn't manage to appeal to me here.

On the subject of minor nitpicks, the game also does two things that really bothers me. One is the annoying delay between each text box when characters are exchanging dialog. It tests my patience, and makes it seems like they are constantly pausing, like those awkward scenes in the first Silent Hill.
Another is something that the remake of Radiant Historia also does - when lines aren't fully voiced and they just play a short voice sample from the same actor to go with the text. It has both the effect of some times purveying a different tone that is actually intended for that line, and when the voice clip is saying something different than the text, it messes with me trying to read the text. I think I'll play the full game with Japanese voices for this reason alone.

If you want greenery, try Alfyn's starting area.  the Riverlands are very lush and green.

If you miss fluffy white snow, try Ophilia.

There WILL be more ecological diversity in the main game, I'm sure.  You just got a bad draw. :)

As far as which character to play besides Tressa?  If Tressa didn't appeal to you, maybe Alfyn would?  He's got a somewhat tropey "save the village child by going to the local forbidden zone" opening, but damn if it isn't well played.  Alfyn is also very peppy and warm as a character.  He genuinely wants to save lives one at a time, instead of the entire world all at once.  That's touching.

If you want the total other end of the spectrum, with a character with lots of adult themes, one that hasn't seen a lot of spotlight in JRPGs, you could try Primrose.  She's going to be my main because she's a type of character RPGs don't often give you the chance to play.  After all, it's not every day they put you in the sandals of an exotic dancer in a red-light town.  This plus the whole "noble fallen from grace" angle is really interesting to me.  Prim shows warmth rarely, due to her circumstances, but her quest of revenge and redemption is exciting and new to me because of her unique (for JRPGs ) Circumstances. Most RPGs tiptoe around the implications of a red-light district. This game does less of that.  I applaud that.

On the subject of the linear paths, I do hope that's only a fault of the opening chapters, but bear in mind an entire game can stand on the strength of it's moment-to-moment interactions between characters and minimize exploration.  Final Fantasy 10 did this well.  FF13 attempted it and failed.  It's a tightrope, but it can be done.  I do believe, however, that this game's demo doesn't 100% reflect the finished experience.  There's still subclassing and other features left unexplored in the demo.