Octopath Traveler

Yes! My fellow denizens are getting amped up for Octopath Traveller!

I'm glad to see a thread for this game, it's probably going to be one of my favorites in the Switch library once it's finally here.

My thoughts are this game probably has roots in SaGa and Bravely Default, yes, but I think it more closely resembles an old game on SNES that never came to the states in an official capacity.

The game, called Live Alive, featured 7 distinct stories in the same world in completely different timelines.  There were unique twists to every tale, and few if any resembled one another except in the same basic graphics and engine.  The game was made by SquareSoft in the mid 90's, and never officially released in the states, but was fan translated by Aeon Genesis in the mid 2000's.

For example, there's a martial arts "wuxia" chapter, where an elderly martial artist must select one out of three students to pass along his ultimate technique, and enable him or her to defeat his rogue pupil.  Once the game's three potential pupils are recruited, a small series of training fights ensues.  These improve the stats of your chosen warrior until they become the main hero.

In another chapter, a wandering gunslinger in the Old West must gather resources from a boomtown and defend it from the ghosts of a crazed cavalry force with boobytraps.  You have limted time to scour the town for materials to make the defenses, and to set them up properly.  when noon hits the next day, the ghost cavalry charges in, and the gunslinger must fight all enemies who were not taken out with traps.

YEt another chapter sees you as a tiny robot on a doomed space freighter, in a tense and well written "Alien"  knockoff. The only combat in this chapter is in a video game called "Captain Square", the rest of the chapter is travel from one plot point to another.

Didn't necessarily mean to rant on about Live Alive, and hijack the topic, but the point is, the game shares Octopath's commitment to diverse characters with unique flair to their chapters, with a few common mechanics and a common world uniting them.

Now, about Octopath Traveller itself.

I've played the Primrose chapter of the demo, and I must say, production values are very good, particularly in the sound department.  Adult themes are through the roof in this chapter!  This is probably one of the grittiest games I've seen on a Nintendo console. I like the idea of alluring NPCs to do your bidding, and I can only imagine how much fun Olberic's chapter will be, with duels.

The graphics remind me of the PS3 game 3D Dot Game Heroes.  It has similar blending of old and new artstyles, with 3D backgrounds populated by 2D sprites.

Not crazy about the name though.  "Octopath Traveller"?  Why not "Eightfold Traveller" or "Eight Roads"? these sound like better titles to me.  It's a unique name I'll give them that, I just hope they pick a new one by the end.  Still, as was once said, "What's in a name? It is not graphic, nor engine, nor sound, nor any other part belonging to a game!  That which we call Dragon Quest, by any other name, would rock as hard!"

I liked Live Alive, and I can already tell i'm going to LOVE Octopath Traveller, whatever they end up calling it.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn it gooie, your post above (post #16) makes me wish I could play this!

You can take it's location as some kind of clue as to the locations of the remaining 7.  Once I sussed it out I sought out every single one of the basic job shrines before continuing.  It opens so man

I did.....in the far off future. 🤪

Actually, I really like the name myself! Octo is latin for eight, and they refer to each protagonist's story as their path, so Octopath; eight paths! And then traveller, since each protagonist is travelling their path. It's unique, I like it! That said, they've mentioned it's a working title, so it may change before release.

I've been looking at the artwork of the eight protagonists planning a map, and design-wise, my favorite is the girl with the puffy hat with a feather in it. Looks kind of like a detective? I tend to like characters with silly hats. :P I'm looking forward to hearing more about the other protagonists!

Edited by gooieooie

Since Live A Live was mentioned, I will note that there's two LPs of it on the LP Archive, in case anyone wants to see the game, but doesn't want to bother with translation patches.

Well, Live a Live, yes, but we don't know if their paths will converge like in the final chapter, or if they'll all have separate campaigns, complete with their own final boss and ending(s).

Being able to recruit other characters in one characters scenario gives me more of a SaGa Frontier vibe.

Each character had their own story to tell, characters that intercrossed, their own goal, and their own final boss and ending, in the same world and around the same time-frame.

There was no "gather together" chapter.

So until we know more on whether they'll meet up, like Live a Live last chapter, or DQIV, or even Wild Arms after the prologues, we can only speculate.

Edited by Tiael

The trailer gives me the impression that they are destined to meet up, and from a narrative perspective that makes the most sense. Though I wouldn't be against keeping them completely seperate but with some cross-over elements regarding the game world and possibly common themes. Curious to see where it will go, anyway, and I'm definitely feeling a Live-A-Live vibe, too. Always wanted to see a proper sequel to that game.

This game is currently my #1 reason to contemplate getting a Switch. Even the demo makes me want to get one right now.

Edited by Sumez

But is it each character can just recruit the others without any bearing on their own story, or is it a convergence point for all characters stories and paths and it follows one storyline from that point?

You could recruit some other main characters in Frontier as well as side characters, but it had no bearing on their own story.

It will be kinda annoying if each character just has a few unique chapters before turning into the same storyline for all. Like Dragon Age Origins, where the openings were unique yet everything that came after would be very much the same. I wanna have completely unique playthroughs and no "all characters converge to defeat the greater enemy" shtick. If they are doing that at least make it really hard to do, something for those who've already completed all characters storylines. I'm worried that there might not be enough content in the game to support completely unique playthroughs.

• 4 weeks later...

So here's a neat thing!

There's an official Japanese Bravely Default Twitter account which posts updates on the Japan-exclusive mobile game, Bravely-related stuff, announcements, and etc.; what you'd expect! 

With both games sharing the same team, it makes sense that a Bravely Twitter would be talking about Octopath too. And that's what they've been doing; along with re-tweeting all of the announcements, they're also posting crossover art between Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler!

Last month, they posted a piece of actual artwork!

DJo8yMAUEAAwrdG.jpgThis shows Tiz with Til (!!!!) giving Olberic and Primrose some directions.

Then yesterday, they posted this in honor of Bravely Default's 5th anniversary since its Japanese release.

DL2cb_hUQAEPzTQ.jpg

Shows the cast of Octopath Traveler with the cast of Bravely Default, done by Octopath's sprite artist.

I do kind of wonder if Octopath will be linked to the Bravely games at all. At the very least, it'd be fun to see the protagonists have cameos somewhere! The sprite art shows that they fit right in. :P

I'd imagine a cameo or reference of some kind, like how Bravely Default/Second reference Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light by having the Adventurer and Fox as well as the 7 Demons.

Also, happy 5th anniversary to Bravely Default. It was one of the best games I've played, and I still have a lot of love for it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • 3 weeks later...

If you're curious about the Project Octopath Traveler demo survey for the people who played the Project Octopath Traveler demo in Japan, you can read here.

Edited by Dakhil
  • 3 months later...

Played the demo today (late to the party). I thoroughly enjoyed it. The music is nice. The mechanics feel great. Not too broken but not too hard. Just right. The story captivated me and I'm only 50 minutes in. Will definitely pick this up when fully released.

16 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

If you're awaiting full release, might I suggest the Primrose route.

I most definitely agree with this statement. I chose her and I must say it was satisfying to beat the boss.

• 4 months later...

Digging up this old topic like a good dog!

I got my special edition preordered last week, and it all looks awesome!

• Like 1

The SE trailer for this was a bit underwhelming but I am still super stoked for this. My brother said he pre-ordered the special edition thing for my birthday. He knows what I like

37 minutes ago, Democrobot said:

The SE trailer for this was a bit underwhelming but I am still super stoked for this. My brother said he pre-ordered the special edition thing for my birthday. He knows what I like

That's so cool!  I'm not near any personal milestones enough to get it as a gift, except from myself to myself, but I had the money for it.

It's very very cool.  S-E's entire show was pretty lackluster, including the Octopath trailer, but the game speaks for itself, to fans like us.  As does DQ11.

I got lucky that it releases less than 2 weeks before my birthday. And I am really excited for the game. The demo rocked my world and the style gives me ideas for my own personal game projects.

A new demo for Octopath will be available. Any progress made in the demo can be carried over to the full game.

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/octopath-traveler-second-demo-launches-june-14

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
On 6/12/2018 at 12:17 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

A new demo for Octopath will be available. Any progress made in the demo can be carried over to the full game.

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/octopath-traveler-second-demo-launches-june-14

Best you believe I'll be getting that tomorrow!  It'll help me decide once and for all who I main, though odds are incredibly strong it'll be Primrose.

I'll for sure be getting the demo as well! Honestly, as much as I like games, I haven't felt this hyped for a game in years.

I am going to start with Primrose.  Who knows if I'll ever find time to play as anyone else as a main?  Probably not, but she's definetely going to be my go-to to start with.

Only Olberic has debatably lost more in his life, and she's in a much more dangerous position, but equally deadly in her way.

Primrose best girl, fite me :D

I can agree with that. I adore Primrose. Will definitely be using her