Dakhil

Octopath Traveler

Since I haven't seen any forums about Octopath Traveler, I thought I'd make one.

So far, I'm really looking forward to Octopath Traveler (once I do get my hands on a Nintendo Switch). The art style looks amazing and the gameplay looks really solid!

Edited by Dakhil

I grabbed the demo off the eShop, haven't been able to play it yet. The game looks fantastic, though, and I can't wait to see more on it!

This is one I'll certainly try once I get a Switch.

This practically screams SaGa. A shame Kawazu isn't working on it (he really needs to be given a decent budget title, I know the recent ps vita saga is supposed to be alright but it looks as budgety as hell) but I actually have faith in Square Enix for this. I especially love this "hd 2d" artstyle. It looks like how ps1 games looked in my memory as kids if that makes sense. I'm definitely going to download the demo.

This is one I'll certainly try once I get a Switch.

Me too.

Just get a DQ exclusive on Switch and I'm all over it. Until then...

This practically screams SaGa. A shame Kawazu isn't working on it (he really needs to be given a decent budget title, I know the recent ps vita saga is supposed to be alright but it looks as budgety as hell) but I actually have faith in Square Enix for this. I especially love this "hd 2d" artstyle. It looks like how ps1 games looked in my memory as kids if that makes sense. I'm definitely going to download the demo.

I was actually just about to say that it reminds me of Romancing SaGa (the only game in that series I played), which is a good thing.

Definitely gives me a Frontier vibe.

Shame Scarlet Grace won't be localized, though.

I've also downloaded the demo. I haven't gotten around to starting it up yet. Looks promising.

I've watched the Primrose portion demo, and holy s**t, this is unexpectedly unadulterated (in a good way). 

Edited by Dakhil

Definitely fun, and I'm always up for old school RPG.

Music is great too.

Boost Point also reminds me of BP from Bravely, just with no negatives I can find in the demo.

Just finished off Olberic's portion of the demo. It's awesome, and I had a lot of fun! It ends after defeating the first boss, though you're free to leave town afterwards and explore some new areas. Took me 2 hours to finish, and I haven't done Primrose's section yet.

Edited by gooieooie

Yeah, Primrose joined my boy Olberic.

I really like the unique skills they have too, Duel and Allure.

It's nice finding a good NPC with a good skill and using them as support in battle. XD

I wonder what skills the other characters will have, and if there's side characters you can recruit aside from the main 8.

Really enjoying the game so far in every way. If I had one complaint it is that the town is rather small with little npcs that don't change their dialogue. Still, its a surprisingly great game so far.

Wow, this game is pretty fun so far. I really like the design of the world and such. The battle system is fun as well. Only played for about 45 minutes so far, but I'll be buying this one.

Just finished up Primrose's path! Hers is much shorter, and I finished at just 40 minutes. Hers also goes up to the first boss. Final playtime after finishing extra stuff was 2:40 for Olberic, and 1:20 for Primrose, though I imagine I'll want to continue exploring and experimenting, so those numbers will probably be higher by the time the game releases.

I had more fun with Olberic's Challenge command than Primrose's Allure command. Challenge made for some unique situations, like beating sense into a "Pathetic Father" and getting people out of your way to access new areas, whereas I didn't find myself using Allure much. I'm very curious to see how Allure will be expanded upon in the full game, as well as how the remaining six protagonists' abilities will work. I hope they release another demo closer to release with the opening act of the other protagonists included, so we can pick a favorite and know who to go with for the first playthrough when the full game comes out.

Overall, I'm even more excited for this than I was before! It's very fun, and I can already see how unique the protagonist commands will make the game. This will definitely be a Day 1 purchase for me.

Also, since it seems like lots of people here are interested in the game, but many don't yet own a Switch, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the game! :)

Allure is handy as $#!&, it's like an extra battle character, with buffs you can get, of HP/SP heals, plus the damage they do.

^ I totally forgot you could summon the characters in battle. That probably would've been useful to have remembered :P

Damn it gooie, your post above (post #16) makes me wish I could play this!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Me too.

Me too.

Haha, sorry! I was thinking of maybe writing a more in-depth impressions post afterwards, but maybe I should hold off, heh :P

As I said, though, if there's anything you guys want to know about it until you get a chance to play it yourselves, feel free to ask!

Edited by gooieooie

Me too.

Haha, sorry! I was thinking of maybe writing a more in-depth impressions post afterwards, but maybe I should hold off, heh :P

As I said, though, if there's anything you guys want to know about it until you get a chance to play it yourselves, feel free to ask!

I'm good with an in depth post. With something new like this I'd like to hear someone's first impressions.

Just finished Olberic's playthrough as well as Primrose's. My thoughts:

First of all, I really have to praise the production values. It often feels in a lot of jrpgs that story and gameplay comes at the expense of the presentation. That isn't true here. The "HD 2d" is beautiful, everything looks so crisp both in handhold and docked mode and the pixel art is really professional and nostalgic of old final fantasy games. Lighting as well is impressive, there are multiple light source making the world feel more realistic whether you are in the desert and it is blisteringly bright or you when the only source of light in the dank darkness is your lamp. It's also seamless entering and leaving houses in villages which is really neat. I do have some problems with the presentation, the vignetting effect is overdone. It makes sense in dark dungeons but it is a bit ridiculous when I'm in the middle of a desert village and npcs are darkened in the background.

The sound design is also pretty good for an rpg as well. They put a lot of effort into making things sound authentic whether it be you the crackle of a fire or your own footprints. Battle effects are good as well. Its so satisfying to hear the break of an enemies guard or the hiss as they disintegrate into nothing. The soundtrack itself is a delight. It feels reminiscent of some of snes rpg soundtracks, especially Uematsu with a lot of swelling pieces and even some cool character themes (Primroses is amazing). The battle theme is especially good, its the sort of theme that I won't grow tired of after a hundred battles. To top it off its all orchestrated. The voice acting is surprisingly good as well. All roles are chosen well and suit their characters sufficiently. It sounds like a professional dub. Definitely more on the Shadow of Valentia side of things and not on the Xenoblade 2 one.

As for the gameplay, it's great! Battling is tough so you have to rely on the methods you have available t you: breaking and charging. Enemies are weak to certain elements (shadows, weapon attacks) so attacking them with their weaknesses reduces their guard. Some enemies have a guard as low as 1 while others as high as 6. Once their guard is reduced to 0 they're left dazed for one round, of course their guard is restored the next turn. Manipulating this I was able to leave some random encounters unscathed manipulating their shield levels and even in boss fights it came in handy for giving myself some breathing space or stopping a bosses dangerous attack (they are usually telegraphed). Charging is where you do most of your damage. Each turn you get one charge, up to a maximum of 5. Whenever you go to attack or use any of your abilities, you have the chance of charging them up sacrificing your charges (the max is up to 3 charges for to have a level 4 ability). What's great is that it ties back into breaking as when you charge up a normal attack you don't use the damage, you instead multiply the number of attacks (so If I charge 2 times I can attack 3 times, you always have one charge at the beginning of each round for 2 attacks) so you can easily break an opponents guard in one turn if you wish to do so. Charging really comes into its own when you charge up your buffs. For example, during one boss fight I had five charges (max). I fully charged up my darkness elemental attack buff which lasts for three turns. I still had two charges so on the next turn when that went up to three, I attacked with a fully charged elemental attack dealing 1400 damage. I can't wait to see people use this mechanic to get max damage. My issue with this is that it becomes too easy once you realise defeating bosses is a matter of simply charging for a few super attacks. I'd like to see bosses that would counteract this.

I enjoyed the narrative itself as well. Neither storylines are particularly great but the dialogue is well written backed up the great voice acting. It reminds of me something from Final Fantasy Tactics or 12. The medieval prose is quite well done and not as overdone in something like War of the Lions. It's also quite dark and mature and definitely a departure from the light hearted tone of the Bravely Default games. This aint a nice world and there aren't any happy jrpg hometowns here. I suppose some might see it as overdone but I find it refreshing quite honestly. If this game actually did remind me of anything in terms of narrative it would be Final Fantasy 6. The multiple characters remind me of the world of ruin in that game where it showed you how characters are living. Each characte feels larger than life having their own life and a goal that they are working towards, often related to their own past and its satisfying seeing them leave their homes for a greater purpose. Characters are also defined by their special ability which they can use in the overworld. Olberic can duel any npc in the world (with the exception of the save npc) which can net you certain rewards while Primrose can recruit any npc in the world with her charms, they'll follow her around the world and even help out in battle as a summon. These abilities are even utilised for quests and it will be interesting to see how far they are taken. As it is in the demo both characters can actually recruit each other (there is no conversation, its simply "x joins the party", in fairness they stated it won't be like that in the final game), it will be interesting to see how they team up together in the final game. Town design is alright, it's really more like Final Fantasy than Dragon Quest in that right. There are only a few buildings you can enter, besides the shops which are just instant vendor screens although there are some sidequests, especially after defeating the boss. Npcs themselves are nowhere near the reactivity of their dragon quest or trails equivalents but they actually do react accordingly after boss fights.

So yeah, those are my thoughts on this game. I think its shaping up to become something really special, even it does need to sort a number of things out (UI is too small, battles are really fast yet text is so slow, should be a skip button for scenes before boss fights). I think this looks like it could be shaping up to the Bravely Teams best game yet and its definitely risen on anticipated games list.

• Upvote 1

Good post, Psaro. Sounds like they drew a lot of inspiration from their work on the Bravely games.

I had a lot of fun going around fighting everyone in town haha. The reactions were indeed pretty amusing. I like how you receive items and enter buildings by doing so. Seemed like I completed a side quest or some such deal by doing so once.

I was also surprised by the difficulty. I didn't die, but I had to actually heal a good few times. I fought the demo boss at lvl 6 and they put up a good fight. It's quite enjoyable.