Sign in to follow this  
FlyingRagnar

Dragon Quest Wiki plan to move to a new host

I'm planning to move the Dragon Quest wiki to a new host later this month.  This should not affect any of the content or users.  The site will be unavailable for a day or two during the upgrade, assuming everything goes according to plan.

• Upvote 2

Good luck, those moves can be a pain

The move to a new host has been a success.  The wiki also now supports SSL encryption.  

Good job, how bad was it?

How much monthly transfer do you get?

The wiki does somewhere between 100-200GB of transfer per month.  On the new host, we have 1000GB per month, so that will be no problem at all.

The bigger concern is disk space.  For some reason, this host (Linode) is pretty stingy when it comes to disk space.  We are on the cheapest plan, which provides only 20GB of disk space.  The total size of the site is currently 9.3GB.  If that ever gets too large, I will upgrade to the next tier size.  Most of the size is images, which is not suprising.  I'm running MediaWiki with a MySQL backend for the database.  The database size is around 600MB.  

I'm doing a much better jobs with backups this time around.  I'm paying for the host to do routine backups (nightly, weekly, monthly).  I've also setup the database to export a backup every night to a file.  This is a big improvement over the previous host where backups were not done on a routine basis.

It comes out to about $7 per month, which is pretty comparable to what I was paying on the previous host.  However, I now have full control over the server to do upgrades, installs, etc.   

I should also mention, that while 9.3GB is the current "base" size for the whole wiki, the size on the server will grow to be much larger (probably by 5-6GB).  This is because of how MediaWiki does thumbnail images.  While migrating the site, I did not port over the current thumbnails, instead the wiki creates them automatically as images are viewed in a context where a thumbnail is needed.  So over the next couple months, they will be regenerated and cause the overall size of the site to increase quite a bit.