Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Ys VIII

The story mode is about 60-65 hours Id say. I didnt want it to end so I started going for the plat trophy. 2 to go!

Not really an over exaggeration, it's like they ran the text thru Babelfish then did minor editing.

Awkward dialogue and pauses, stiff sounding characters, but yes names are the worst.

Like Archeozic Big Hole..

And compared to XSEED it's like night and day.

At least they're attempting to fix it.

I didn't realize XSEED wasn't responsible for the translation until the apology came out. Figured they were responsible for all things Ys and The Legend of Heroes nowadays.

I tried out the demo on PS4, and apart from trying to get used to the controls I liked it. Slaying the two bosses in the demo was fun, especially when dodging out of the way at just the right time so you can could a flurry of follow up attacks.

I'll look into the game in the future. Wouldn't mind getting the Vita version if it plays alright.

Keep in mind you can customize the controls any way you want it, I think the demo has it available too.

Oh, and the PS4 version has extra dungeons and content not in the Vita version.

Bit worried about the November due date. Will the really have everything ready by then? Now it's possible they could have been working far before the apology but...  

Watching gameplay of the Vita version, I think that's the one I would go for. I noticed a bit of slowdown in the frame rate, but it's nowhere near as bad as another game I can think of... (looks over at Lost Dimension)

Up to you, you'd be missing out on the supressions, night dungeons, some Dana dungeon(s) though.

How major are they to the story? Also, what are surpressions in that game?

Dana stuff reveals some stuff about the story.

Also, interceptions are where you defend Castaway Village from attacks, suppression is where go and raid the monsters.

1. Subjugation mode (you go and destroy enemy nest instead of them attacking your base)

2. 60 FPS

3.Sanctuary Dungeon (Past Dana timeline- the story explain more about the Great Tree of Life and Tree maiden).

4. Dana style change (change between light, Earth and water).

5. Past Dana equipments tradable at Dina trading post

6. Dana's ultimate weapon

7. Post Dungeon (ruins of Sanctury Dungeon during Adol's timeline)

5. Infinity Mode for NG+

6. Ability to choose amount of party member (if you clear Post game Dungeon and received the medallion). So basically you can play as Adol alone on NG+

A lot of those do sound nice. Personally I'd like to get the Vita version myself, and perhaps ask for the PS4 version as a gift or if it goes on sale in the future. I did enjoy the demo and have enjoyed playing Ys Chronicles, so I think I'm becoming a fan of the series.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Ys is a great series.

You can get Celceta for the Vita too.

Origin as well.

And I think the PSP versions of Felghana (recommended) and Seven, though the latter just hit Steam.

Yeah, I've got a lot of catching up to do. I'm glad one of Falcom's series worked its magic on me.

Watching gameplay of the Vita version, I think that's the one I would go for. I noticed a bit of slowdown in the frame rate, but it's nowhere near as bad as another game I can think of... (looks over at Lost Dimension)

Way off topic but did you play Lost Dimension?

The re-translation patch is up. It's 1.16 GB on PS4 and 279 MB on Vita. It will be included in the Switch version on release.

22 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

1.16 GB on PS4

Man, that's a lot of text. Don't you just love Sony's patching system?

Switch version of Ys VIII is out next week, June 26th.  I might pick it up to hold me over 'til I get Octopath next month.

Just reviving the topic as a reminder to other Ys fans out there. :)

Edited by The Dog of Zahan

I picked it up on Switch today. I see a few typos here and there so far, nothing game breaking yet.  I have seen in video reviews some of the more hilarious editing gaffes, but I will continue to enjoy as much as I can.  :D

also, the Switch version has all 18 costumes and over-shoulder pets unlockable right away.  I like Adol's classic silver armor costume!