Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Ys VIII

Its out next week.

Anyone picking it up? Been waiting a while for this one. Can't wait.

I have Ys Chronicles: I and II on my Vita. I had been wanting to try the series (espically for Yuzu Koshiro's PC-8801 styled soundtrack) and looking at VIII it seems interesting. I've got a long way to go for this series, but I'm hoping I and II will keep me invested and encourage me to keep playing the series.

So to answer the question, I am interested, but I want to make sure I like earlier games in the series before jumping into the latest entry.

I and II are very different from the recent entries. They have the infamous bump system. I started with I and II back in the day, so it didn't bother me. But it's not very popular with those who start with VII, Oath in Felghana or Origin.

Ys games have boss soundtracks, even the ones without Koshiro (I'd venture to say that Oath in Felghana had the best music, just listen to Castle Valestein)

They each have a different playstyle.

Ys 1+2, all versions, use the original bump system, where you have to learn to get around to the back (YS1) or come at them on their sword side, away from their shield (YS2 especially, but also YS1).  YS1 boss battles are VERY intense compared to YS2, which incorporates a magic system, and thus is less based on perfect positioning per boss, but rather learning when and where to shoot your magic or to attack.  YS1 barely gives you any story, but YS2 is chock full of story, and some of the best enemies in the game.

Ys 3 original uses a side scrolling system, which is slightly different, as it uses a tweaked version of bump mechanics, where you can stick your sword out, or just hold down the attack button, and stuff running into your weapon slows as it takes damage.

Ys 3's remake, Oath in Felghana uses a top-down isometric view full motion action RPG, complete with magic but the battle system is mostly geared towards knowing when to jump, when to use what types of strikes, and when to just slam the attack button for a 4~6 hit combo.  It's probably my favourite because the boss fights in this game are god...sooooooo epic.  Ys is known for massive boss fights, but this is easily both the fastest paced, most tactical, and most exhilarating when you finally defeat a boss.  The story is very solid, especially in the remake, which delves further into the history of the land, the purpose of the baron's existence there, and the relationship between a certain trio of old friends.  Oath uses the battle and interface system started with YS 6.

Ys Origins is a game developed with Oath's system, and takes place before the events of YS1 and 2.  There's really not much else to say except it's excellent, has a decent story, but focuses more on the adventure, has more platforming elements than Oath, more boss fights, and more complex boss fights as in they factor in more of the overall gameplay system per battle, including more platforming elements.  I still prefer Oath's fights.

Ys 4 brings back the bump system, and it's slightly more akin to 2 than 1, though it's much easier to get behind enemies than in 2. I don't recall much more than that the game was released as two separate games, one officially sanctioned by Falcom, the other was initially hired to create Ys 4, but for some reason was cancelled?  I don't recall the details.  Both games are considered the weakest in the series, and the most confusing given the differences between them.  It's been a VERY long time since I played either, so I have little recollection of story.  I believe these are the only two created by 3rd parties.

YS Memories of Celcetta I haven't played, but it's a remake of YS 4, officially sanctioned by Falcom and made by Falcom.  It borrows Ys 7's system, and upgrades it to the Vita, with a number of changes.

YS 5 Mask of the Sun Kefin, Lost Kingdom of the Sand.  I've only gotten 3 minutes into, so I don't have any experience.  I believe it's supposed to be the final "bump" system Ys game.  I'm wrong about this, thanks Tieal.

YS 6 is on the PS2 and PSP.  It recreates Ys with an isometric, fast pace, more action oriented game where you actually swing your sword, have combos, have jump attacks, and landing attacks.  It's more traditional action, only with chibi Adol!  It's a unique storyline, and while not the best, it has one of the series best final boss battles.  Note that this is one of the easiest Ys games to complete.  It also has a magic system...but then all Ys games from 2 onward do.  It's fun, but the battle system is perfected with Oath in Felgana.

Ys 7 was released on the PSP, and has one of my favourite battle systems.  Complete with complex special attacks you can level up, and even allows comboing with multiple characters.  It builds off of the design aesthetics of 6/Oath/Origins, and creates a more realistic and even faster paced game.  Though gone are the jump attack functions, which is sad.  Gone too are the platforming elements, which is another very sad detail.

Ys 8 seems to take from 7 and 4's remake, and builds its own system, with a more complex combo system...I don't know much more about it than that.

Edited by ignasia7

Ys games have boss soundtracks, even the ones without Koshiro

When did Yuzo Koshiro stop composing for the series?

I'm psyched his PC-8801 work is available on iTunes.

Ys games have boss soundtracks, even the ones without Koshiro

When did Yuzo Koshiro stop composing for the series?

He only did the first two game soundtracks to my knowledge

Iggy, both Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys are considered 4 (until MoC became the canon, only Falcom developed release)

Ys 5 is Kefin, Lost Kingdom of Sand on SFC and Taito did a PS2 remake, also the last officially unlocalized Ys overseas.

And it doesn't use a bump system.

Hoping since 3 and 4 got remakes by Falcom, 5 is next.

Anyways, can't wait for VIII tomorrow, plus my physical copy of Origins should be coming from LRG in the future.

Edited by Tiael

I miss Ys when it was simpler.

I can always replay those, I do think later titles are good, but I hope for a new entry that isn't party based some day.

I can always replay those, I do think later titles are good, but I hope for a new entry that isn't party based some day.

Any preference on style?  Original bump, Chronicles tweaked bump, YS6 jump, YS3+Origins jump, or something totally new?

Not bump, though I did like it.

I just miss the jumping and platforming elements.

Ys VIII is a good step though, has double jump and other platforming based on what I played of the demo.

Full game is here, but I haven't popped it in yet ;;

I just enjoyed solo Adol kicking ass XD

Not bump, though I did like it.

I just miss the jumping and platforming elements.

Yeah, the platforming elements of 6, 3, and Origins, especially 3 and Origins were superb.  I loved gearing up for those special double jumps with a charged wind spell to launch my character just enough to land on the platform on the other side, or find one of those hidden platforms.  That was fun.

Plus the jump attack forms.  Slamming the sword into the ground.  Spinning into the air, or jumping and slicing into the upper air, or a double jump.  Lacking a jump was one thing I missed in 7.  Though I do really like the combos added to 7 (I really need to get a Vita at some point and Celcetta), and the skill system is a LOT of fun, but it's not as tactical or as fun as the specialized timing required in 6/3/Origins.

I'd love to see a reworked system with 8's modeling of Adol, and the jumping/platforming style of gameplay myself.  So I'm with you on that.

Ys VIII is a good step though, has double jump and other platforming based on what I played of the demo.

Full game is here, but I haven't popped it in yet ;;

I just enjoyed solo Adol kicking ass XD

...I really need to get this game for PS4.  Definitely PS4.  Stuff to do first though.

I see where you're coming from.  That solo aspect is a lot of fun.  You're the lone warrior, and frankly, Adol is Bond, with a sword instead of a PPK, armour instead of a suit, and red hair.

Edited by ignasia7

Definitely the PS4 or PC versions, since they have the extra content over Vita.

I missed Ys when it was just about a lone Adol visiting foreign country kicking ass, when it was an aracedey hack and slash with levelling. Now it has to have hunts, crafting and so much dialogue. It feels like a trails bastardization more than anything else, Falcom using it as a testing ground for whatever idea they have in their head.

Hot damn, this game is fun.

Ys generally is though, but I'm liking it more than Seven and some others.

They each have a different playstyle.

Ys 1+2, all versions, use the original bump system, where you have to learn to get around to the back (YS1) or come at them on their sword side, away from their shield (YS2 especially, but also YS1).  YS1 boss battles are VERY intense compared to YS2, which incorporates a magic system, and thus is less based on perfect positioning per boss, but rather learning when and where to shoot your magic or to attack.  YS1 barely gives you any story, but YS2 is chock full of story, and some of the best enemies in the game.

Ys 3 original uses a side scrolling system, which is slightly different, as it uses a tweaked version of bump mechanics, where you can stick your sword out, or just hold down the attack button, and stuff running into your weapon slows as it takes damage.

Ys 3's remake, Oath in Felghana uses a top-down isometric view full motion action RPG, complete with magic but the battle system is mostly geared towards knowing when to jump, when to use what types of strikes, and when to just slam the attack button for a 4~6 hit combo.  It's probably my favourite because the boss fights in this game are god...sooooooo epic.  Ys is known for massive boss fights, but this is easily both the fastest paced, most tactical, and most exhilarating when you finally defeat a boss.  The story is very solid, especially in the remake, which delves further into the history of the land, the purpose of the baron's existence there, and the relationship between a certain trio of old friends.  Oath uses the battle and interface system started with YS 6.

Ys Origins is a game developed with Oath's system, and takes place before the events of YS1 and 2.  There's really not much else to say except it's excellent, has a decent story, but focuses more on the adventure, has more platforming elements than Oath, more boss fights, and more complex boss fights as in they factor in more of the overall gameplay system per battle, including more platforming elements.  I still prefer Oath's fights.

Ys 4 brings back the bump system, and it's slightly more akin to 2 than 1, though it's much easier to get behind enemies than in 2. I don't recall much more than that the game was released as two separate games, one officially sanctioned by Falcom, the other was initially hired to create Ys 4, but for some reason was cancelled?  I don't recall the details.  Both games are considered the weakest in the series, and the most confusing given the differences between them.  It's been a VERY long time since I played either, so I have little recollection of story.  I believe these are the only two created by 3rd parties.

YS Memories of Celcetta I haven't played, but it's a remake of YS 4, officially sanctioned by Falcom and made by Falcom.  It borrows Ys 7's system, and upgrades it to the Vita, with a number of changes.

YS 5 Mask of the Sun Kefin, Lost Kingdom of the Sand.  I've only gotten 3 minutes into, so I don't have any experience.  I believe it's supposed to be the final "bump" system Ys game.  I'm wrong about this, thanks Tieal.

YS 6 is on the PS2 and PSP.  It recreates Ys with an isometric, fast pace, more action oriented game where you actually swing your sword, have combos, have jump attacks, and landing attacks.  It's more traditional action, only with chibi Adol!  It's a unique storyline, and while not the best, it has one of the series best final boss battles.  Note that this is one of the easiest Ys games to complete.  It also has a magic system...but then all Ys games from 2 onward do.  It's fun, but the battle system is perfected with Oath in Felgana.

Ys 7 was released on the PSP, and has one of my favourite battle systems.  Complete with complex special attacks you can level up, and even allows comboing with multiple characters.  It builds off of the design aesthetics of 6/Oath/Origins, and creates a more realistic and even faster paced game.  Though gone are the jump attack functions, which is sad.  Gone too are the platforming elements, which is another very sad detail.

Ys 8 seems to take from 7 and 4's remake, and builds its own system, with a more complex combo system...I don't know much more about it than that.

I would like to compliment you on the thoroughness of your posts. They are quite informative, and now I really want to try a Ys game (I've never played one).

Damn, this game is gonna be long.

At 25 hours and just finished chapter 2, sad face at events that just transpired.

Anyways, now I'm playing as Dana, and this chick has a double jump adventure gear.

Screw you, hooker, Adol doesn't have that yet ;;

This has been one of the greatest times Ive had gaming. Im nearing the end sadly ... wish it could go on forever. I adore the hell out of this game. Could very well be the best game Ive ever experienced.

I've been a fan of Ys since watching a promtional video tape for the TG-16 and watching footage of it in Japanese. I never got to play Ys when it was new though.  I had to wait til it came out for the Wii, not having a TG-16.  These games always have awesome soundtracks, and I love them. I've played 1/2, 3 on SNES, and 6 on PS2.  I've played a bit of Ys Origins, and the PSP remake of 3 as well. I've only finished 1/2 and 6.  Ark of Napishtim is one of my favorite PS2 games, and I agree the final boss was fun! 

I might want to replay Ys 6 until I can later get my hands on 8.  thing is, I'm already planning to sink into Etrian Odyssey 5 next month, and I've got many health bills to pay plus a major event at the end of October to afford. * shrugs * Wish I could get it right away, but...  :(

So I saw this on Gematsu.com:

"To All Customers of Ys VIII,

Thank you for all the feedback and support we have received since the launch of Ys VIII. It has come to my attention that the quality of the Ys VIII localization has not reached an acceptable level by our own standards, but most importantly by yours. As president of NIS America, Inc. I want to apologize to you personally for this grave error. This situation should not have happened – especially to a game as wonderful as Ys VIII and by a company that strives to deliver the very best customer experience in each title. We have begun internally to investigate the causes of this situation as well as to implement steps to ensure that a similar situation does not occur again.

As for Ys VIII itself, we will have a new translator and editor go over the entire localization to fix grammatical errors, typos, inconsistencies, and also to take a fresh look at the dialog and characterizations. For the script, where necessary, we will re-translate and re-edit the game including updating voicework to reflect these changes. We plan to have this work done by the end of November and will offer the updated localization free of charge for both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita versions of the game via patch. The Steam version of the game will include this localization in its initial release.

We humbly request your patience in this process.

Again, as the president and CEO of NIS America, Inc, I deeply apologize and vow to you that we will bring the quality of the localization of Ys VIII up to the high standards that it and you deserve.

Please allow us this opportunity to restore your faith in NIS America, Inc."

Sincerely, Takuro Yamashita

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/10/nis-america-apologizes-quality-ys-viii-localization-fix-due-end-november#0RIorUsTFoFomXHO.99

For those who've played Ys VIII, do you have any idea what he's talking about in terms of the translation? Are there major problems?

So I saw this on Gematsu.com:

"To All Customers of Ys VIII,

Thank you for all the feedback and support we have received since the launch of Ys VIII. It has come to my attention that the quality of the Ys VIII localization has not reached an acceptable level by our own standards, but most importantly by yours. As president of NIS America, Inc. I want to apologize to you personally for this grave error. This situation should not have happened – especially to a game as wonderful as Ys VIII and by a company that strives to deliver the very best customer experience in each title. We have begun internally to investigate the causes of this situation as well as to implement steps to ensure that a similar situation does not occur again.

As for Ys VIII itself, we will have a new translator and editor go over the entire localization to fix grammatical errors, typos, inconsistencies, and also to take a fresh look at the dialog and characterizations. For the script, where necessary, we will re-translate and re-edit the game including updating voicework to reflect these changes. We plan to have this work done by the end of November and will offer the updated localization free of charge for both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita versions of the game via patch. The Steam version of the game will include this localization in its initial release.

We humbly request your patience in this process.

Again, as the president and CEO of NIS America, Inc, I deeply apologize and vow to you that we will bring the quality of the localization of Ys VIII up to the high standards that it and you deserve.

Please allow us this opportunity to restore your faith in NIS America, Inc."

Sincerely, Takuro Yamashita

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/10/nis-america-apologizes-quality-ys-viii-localization-fix-due-end-november#0RIorUsTFoFomXHO.99

For those who've played Ys VIII, do you have any idea what he's talking about in terms of the translation? Are there major problems?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/74gurg/unhappy_with_the_localization_of_ys_viii/

I dont think its nearly as bad as people are complaining about. Ive got almost 100 hours logged into the game and other than maybe 2-3 minor things, It was fine. I did personally inform NISA myself about one spot in the game where the Japanese vocals were not translated.

Most of the complaints are about the translated names of characters/creatures/locations.

I dont think its nearly as bad as people are complaining about. Ive got almost 100 hours logged into the game and other than maybe 2-3 minor things, It was fine. I did personally inform NISA myself about one spot in the game where the Japanese vocals were not translated.

Most of the complaints are about the translated names of characters/creatures/locations.

100 hours in less then a month? My hero.

I figured it must have been over exaggeration. Never heard of any translation complaints until today. I'm thinking of getting this game (not anytime soon), but I'll be curious what all the patch will adjust.

Is the game just that long of an RPG, or is there just a lot of side activities to do? If the main game is another 100 hour time sink like Persona 5 was, then it's not gonna be finished for several months unless Ys VIII can really grab my attention.