Sign in to follow this  
Restlessknight14

Heroes galore! A Hero's discussion: DQ 1 and DQ builders

Hey everybody! This a new series of topics that i wantvto include along side the character discussion; this time with the mighty heroes themselves!

I decided to give the heroes there own discussion series mainly because it can be rather awkward to talk about their character in a normal; the hero is what the player makes them up to be. Granted, you can say that each of the games gives the heroes a unique flavor of character without intruding on the player's experience.

So for these discussions, feel free to add any kind of triva on these heroes, any subjective feelings/memories that you had on that game's journey, how you think the hero WOULD react during specific events or points in the game, or things that you alway like to do when you are playing as these heroes.

With that out of the way...let's start of with the very first hero(or doom bringer) thst we are introduced to; probably one of the most iconic video game character in jrpg history!

Characterization is really thin on the ground when it comes to the heroes and you have to basically scrounge for scraps of it here and there.

Occasionally official art of the mains will imply bits and pieces of personality, or characters will have other people react to them and tell you what the player character is supposedly like. Heroes can generally be said to exemplify their games' themes (e.g. Eight is treated as the epitome of duty in a game about fulfilling your obligations); usually this is easiest to see where you get a Yes-No characterization moment, and the No option is clearly a joke (because most Yes-No characterization is Hero-$#!&$#! decisions).

I don't really care about the hero in any of the games tbh, he's just there for me.

He's a pretty uninteresting party member, heck even the DQ2 party or Nevan was more interesting than the heroes.

DQ8 hero has the best desing, trough i like him.

I'd like if in DQ12 they spice things up and allow the hero to talk, so not only the party members talk.

Heroes did it, it worked just fine.

Seeing how story-driven DQ11 is compared to the rest to the series, i think DQ12 might have the first voiced hero in the series.

I'd like to see another 8 party in 12 , trough it worked pretty well in 11.

Who imagined The Dragon Quest V hero would be like Goku, maybe a lot less naive and dumb, but still similar in personality?

The only direct characterization in I remember offhand for Madason is his "diary" in VI, where he moans about his embarrassment of riches on his Wedding Eve's Eve.

Although I may be biased since it is my first Dragon Quest game, Dragon Quest 7's hero was the one I felt I had the most intimate connection to personally. Mostly because his story was not some "hero overnight" or "chosen one" story. Then again, not that many in DQ are I believe. However, DQ7 did it so well. The relationship they established with his parents and friends made it feel as if he really was just some ordinary kid with an imagination and dreams who got into a weird predicament that turned into an adventure. 

I especially like the part where he has a conversation with his father about wanting to go on the adventure, which brought more authenticity to the whole experience considering that generally, I wouldn't just expect a parent to just be alright with their kid going out into the wild like that, which is something a lot of stories tend to make the mistake of having the parents seemingly oblivious to the possible dangers of their child that might concern them

I have never played Dragon Quest 1 Here's to hoping the new remakes of the trilogy are released as I can't really get a hold of the mobile, NES or GB copies really but I have played Builders and I think because of the ambiguity of the story and the relationship you have with whom I guess is supposed to be The Almighty and the townsfolk are enough to make things feel personal while not having the character seem completely flat and lifeless I guess.

In my mind the hero of DQI was a simple gallant knight, braving the wilds and dungeons of Alefgard in the name of his ancestor. His carrying Lady Lora to the castle while fighting off monsters and even his rejection of the Dragonlord make for strong personality points. He's also kind of oppurtunistic with the ladies, not shying away from a puff puff message, and having a loud night with Lora if you sleep at the inn while carrying her...

For DQ Builders, my hero was in my mind just a cute and helpful girl who did her best to restore a world she seemed to not really know anything about. People were suffering and isolated and she brought them together, fighting any odds to build a home for them.

As for me, the first hero us someone i respect dearly since is one of the most iconic heroes in jrpg history. I imagine him to be a courageous hero who has ALOT of expectations to fulfill. This hero has the guts to go at it ALONE (even when the kingdom is sort of against him; i mean, they don't even give him weapons!). I also imagine him to have a inferiority complex to Erdrick, his legendary ancestor. Imagine being compared to the DQ 3 hero ALL the time. It would get to you!

As for builders, i like to think to about multple why the DQ 1 hero decides to join the dark side( being forced to marry someone regardless of option, the king beingbthe best "help" that he could be, killing monster OVER AND OVER again by yourself, etc.) I like the fact that once you decide to fight him, rather than being the typical " oh no, i made a mistake" redemption hero, he truly as no regret or remorse fir what he has done; defeating him felt satisfying ;).

• Upvote 1

As for builders, i like to think to about multple why the DQ 1 hero decides to join the dark side( being forced to marry someone regardless of option, the king beingbthe best "help" that he could be, killing monster OVER AND OVER again by yourself, etc.) I like the fact that once you decide to fight him, rather than being the typical " oh no, i made a mistake" redemption hero, he truly as no regret or remorse fir what he has done; defeating him felt satisfying ;).

I remember how in Dragon Warrior, it was said that the knights you encounter in the field and Dragonlord's Castle were in fact previous heroes who had been converted to the dark side... I kind of like the idea of the Descendent becoming the king of traitors in Builders. Its definitely a very satisfying twist for the whole of the game, really. 

Something I kind of wish would be explored in a spinoff is the Descendent's journey with Lady Lora across Torland, founding the kingdoms. We've had our sort of DQII sequel in the form of DQM: Caravan Heart, but no game that explores what could be an interesting journey of town building mechanics with a midquel. It'd be fun to see more of Lora's interactions with the hero. I really hope that DQ Builders 2 is kind of this game.