Character In Depth Discussion: Ashlynn (DQ 6)

Hey Everyone! I can't believe that the disscussion series is already at its tenth post! Even although that it would normally be nothing to write home about, i am really glad that i was able to help create some kind of discussion for each character. I know that people have made these kinds of discussion before, but i wanted to try making a detailed discussion/analysis for the dragon quest character, since they have the potential to improve or degrade one's own enjoyment of a Dragon Quest Game. So I want to Thank the forum member for giving their thoughts on the character (or at least humor me :) ), and the Viewers(?) for at least taking the time to look at these post! Hope i can at least improve enought to meet your expectations!

Well, we that sappness out if the way, let's get the wagon rollin' ! Here we meet a runaway(?) teenage mage girl who is "reflecting" about who her us and what her past is. A girl with some much presence, that she kind of creates a sub-type in the series of red-haired magic fighters(?) Girls with whips to boot! So thoughts on this character!

She's the worst playable character in the entire series. She has miserable health and defense, she doesn't stand out personality wise and is the least interesting of the red heads in the series, she dies if a butterfly flaps its wings, and YOU CAN NEVER REMOVE HER FROM THE WAGON. Thanks game, I really wanted to drag this dead weight around for my entire playthrough.

I may not like Maribel for her personality, but she's at least useful in battle. Hell, CANNOCK is a better character, and that guy refuses to stay alive! There is not a Dragon Quest character I hate more than Ashlynn. Eal and Platty complain about DQ6 enough for all of us, but to throw my own oil on the fire, it would be in the form of how much I can't stand Ashlynn.

Just an awful, awful character, and one I absolutely hate having to use. Soon as she can be dumped in the wagon, I never use her again.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

She's too squishy for my liking in combat. Saying that, I do enjoy her mysterious past and plucky nature, some of her party chat is pretty funny.

I remember enjoying some of her party chat? Not too much of note for her beyond that. (I've never beaten VI, so I don't know how any character's story ends up)

Edited by gooieooie

She's the worst playable character in the entire series. She has miserable health and defense, she doesn't stand out personality wise and is the least interesting of the red heads in the series, she dies if a butterfly flaps its wings, and YOU CAN NEVER REMOVE HER FROM THE WAGON. Thanks game, I really wanted to drag this dead weight around for my entire playthrough.

I may not like Maribel for her personality, but she's at least useful in battle. Hell, CANNOCK is a better character, and that guy refuses to stay alive! There is not a Dragon Quest character I hate more than Ashlynn. Eal and Platty complain about DQ6 enough for all of us, but to throw my own oil on the fire, it would be in the form of how much I can't stand Ashlynn.

Just an awful, awful character, and one I absolutely hate having to use. Soon as she can be dumped in the wagon, I never use her again.

That's taking it way to far, YangustheLegendaryBandit! Like as far as 3.14159 from the real value of pi!

nerd moment, they're only millionths apart, so really it's almost negligible. AKA: yeah, she sucks.

Um, yangus...i think ashlynn is a LONG ways off fron being the worse playable character ( Prince of cannock (dq 2) and cristo (dq 4 nes) ). I do agree that ashlynn starts off with rather..low hp in both versions off the game, but giving her seeds of life helps her alot in the long run (heck, it is not like Carver and the Hero needs it; milly has enough hp and spped to make it though; Nevan is going to struggle no matter what which seeds you give him). I may be wrong but doesn't Ashlynn have a really Good equipment pool? I remember that she gets access to some of the best amour in the game (like the dragon robe, princess robe, etc.) And gets access to the almighty grimham whip which has a highest(?) Attack stat in the game; making it possible to pull off the armamentalist class with great fashion ( dragon ashlynn does sound hilarious to try off : D ).

But a question comes to mind...when has any mage character (in dragon quest) not start off squishy? Ashlynn has a really great speed stat, wisdom, and the best mp stat in the game.

And hey, that ladies fashion show isn't going to win itself ;)? XD

No, she's the worst character. My word is law as a Big Boss.

• Upvote 1

By as a blonde hair spy once said, "whaever" XD. But on a serious note, are you refering to the SFC version or the DS version? Or is the sight of her glorious hair crosses the line XD?

DS version.

Only use I found for her was using her for the fashion show stuff.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Now I really want to replay VI to give her another chance.

videogame characters i hate [are everyone] from FF12

Ditto!

Um, yangus...i think ashlynn is a LONG ways off fron being the worse playable character ( Prince of cannock (dq 2) and cristo (dq 4 nes) ).

Cristo!? But... but... but... but...

videogame characters i hate [are everyone] from FF12

Ditto!

Um, yangus...i think ashlynn is a LONG ways off fron being the worse playable character ( Prince of cannock (dq 2) and cristo (dq 4 nes) ).

Cristo!? But... but... but... but...

Nah, just Ashe. (Bacsh is pretty bad character as well, but at least it makes my annoying sister entretainted)

Prince of Canoock? Until he is in a Dragon Quest Heroes game im not going to juddge him, since we dont know that much about the DQ2 party.

Kiryl is okay, i guess i like him.

Edited by Toonadri

(Don't worry, Plat! I was only refer to NES cristo's bad AI rather that his character!)

As a character, I really like Ashlynn. She is one of my favorite Dragon Quest character of all time. I mean, how can't i NOT like her? She has a awesome design ( even if her hair comes out as silly), she is a sassy dork who always brings life to the party(along with carver and milly), and she has amazing party chats that would make you want to talm to everyone ( who can pass up S.S Sparkle hearts?)!

I actually don't mind that she is always in your party; it is actually unique when it comes to dragon quest, mainly since, in a sense, she IS the second protagonist along side the Hero. Through out the game, she is undergoing a similar journey to find "herself"; who she is, what her past is, and is her role in life.

In term of the party dynamic, Ashlynn is a excellent breath of life into the party. She is always give her own thoughts on the situation; whether it be in the form of interesting observations, hilarious commentary(in the form of calling out someone's lie, attitudes, or making fun of a ridiculous situation) , or keeping the part together through good will; you know, for someone who snarks alot, she she is a genuinely kind people who cares for her party members deeply (like her own family). Ashlynn(along side Carver) is one the closest party member in the game, and you feel like they got your back.

As for the story, she has one of the best character arcs in the series. Imagine Ashlynn, a cheery honest to good person, just found out about the history of her land and now has to carry one of the most heaviest roles in the world; she now has to become a leader of the most powerful magic civilation into a bright furture. This is further cemented by the fact that someone had to DIE for her to learn the most powerfull spell in the game (Magic Burst) because they believe that they realky can do it; believe in a girl ,without memory of her past life, who has been searching for what to do with her life.

If that wasn't enought, how about the fact tgat she doesn't have a physical body, meaning that eventally she will have to separate with the people she cares for the most; yet, she STILL decides to save the world, because she is willing to put her being on the line to make sure that people can live out their lives and DREAMS as best as they can!

In short, she is far from awful; she may not be the strongest , but damn does she give ut her all!

(Don't worry, Plat! I was only refer to NES cristo's bad AI rather that his character!)

Maybe I got a different cart than everyone else. Cristo NEVER left my party in any DWIV game. I know I played the hell out of that for years because there was no new game in the 90s. All the jokes and complaints about his AI? I have never understood nor related to them. Maybe I used different settings, but he was always useful!

Maybe I got a different cart than everyone else. Cristo NEVER left my party in any DWIV game. I know I played the hell out of that for years because there was no new game in the 90s. All the jokes and complaints about his AI? I have never understood nor related to them. Maybe I used different settings, but he was always useful!

I'd imagine setting him to the healing tactic on the NES would stop his constant casting of Defeat.

I'd imagine setting him to the healing tactic on the NES would stop his constant casting of Defeat.
He WAS my only healer. That sounds about right.

He WAS my only healer. That sounds about right.

Makes me wonder how many people ended up using Meena instead on the NES version just to avoid the Defeat business.

• 3 weeks later...

Ashlynn's actually a very interesting character who gets a bad rap because of the design of middle-era DQ games, not getting enough development in the game before the final twist in her plotline (in the meantime, Terry gets a whole damn character arc), resulting in her getting outshone by pretty much everyone else.

I try very hard not to think of her as a less-well-rounded girl than Jessica, but it's actually very, very hard, and so I fail.