Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Complete (?) Monster Book (spoiler warning!)

• Upvote 1

Not going to watch because I want to stay unspoiled, but wow, that didn't take long. :P

662, but half of the monsters are evil versions, so yeah

Edited by Toonadri

That is it? Meh. Few new monsters were kinda cool, but my main point of interest is what seems to be a 

Loss Leader (who also has "evil" version), and the Dhuran-based monster in dragon helmet

- wonder what's the deal with these? I cannot read Japanese...

That is it? Meh. Few new monsters were kinda cool, but my main point of interest is what seems to be a 

Loss Leader (who also has "evil" version), and the Dhuran-based monster in dragon helmet

- wonder what's the deal with these? I cannot read Japanese...

Those Dhuran-based enemies are just regular monsters.

i mean in DQVIII they had some of the bosses recolors as regular enemy.

• Upvote 1

Well, that was a fun 5 minute. That's about my attention span, hahaha.

Well, that was a fun 5 minute. That's about my attention span, hahaha.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsKOYQ7z9CE]

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Not going to watch because I want to stay unspoiled, but wow, that didn't take long. :P

My thoughts exactly.

Well, like with DQH 1 and 2, all monsters are in fixed locations.  So it's not like you have to run around hoping they'll eventually show up.  Even the evil versions just require just a certain amount of the base versions being killed to spawn in, like with DQ8 3DS's special area monsters.

• Upvote 1

Well, like with DQH 1 and 2, all monsters are in fixed locations. So it's not like you have to run around hoping they'll eventually show up. Even the evil versions just require just a certain amount of the base versions being killed to spawn in, like with DQ8 3DS's special area monsters.

He probably meant spoiled as in what monsters are in the game, not their locations in game.

My only post over the videos is the following...YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!  They brought back Oriental dragons for this game.  So 3, 7, and 11 are the only DQ's with those wiry, quick serpents.  Seems like they're relatively high powered too.  So that makes me happy.  Very happy.

Spoke too soon, but three of them are fairly powerful, and one is the second strongest if exp values imply anything (and it has an evil version).

Well, like with DQH 1 and 2, all monsters are in fixed locations. So it's not like you have to run around hoping they'll eventually show up. Even the evil versions just require just a certain amount of the base versions being killed to spawn in, like with DQ8 3DS's special area monsters.

He probably meant spoiled as in what monsters are in the game, not their locations in game.

I was referring to the final part of his post: "that didn't take long."  ;)

Edited by ignasia7

Screw spoilers, I am looking for feats. I want to see how powerful these guys are compared to past games.

• Upvote 1

Seems not complete. It does not have the final or bonus boss it seems. 

Oh hey, Winky! I didn't know you changed your name.

That jester mask

Sylvia's wearing

looks like on of the first few results for "jester mask" image search in google...SE, lazy move XD

Not to mention it looks really out-of-place.

Edited by Mefista

Why do they ignore DQ7 monsters so much? 

Because they already brought back a lot of them for Dragon Quest X, and maybe they just wanted some more diversity, hence why you see a lot of Zoma minions and a couple of forgotten monsters like Smog, Miasma, Wight Prince, and the Nimzo Wight King.

Oh hey, Winky! I didn't know you changed your name.

I can also tell that's a different user taking a page out of my book, not to put anything indelicately.

Why do they ignore DQ7 monsters so much? 

Because they already brought back a lot of them for Dragon Quest X, and maybe they just wanted some more diversity, hence why you see a lot of Zoma minions and a couple of forgotten monsters like Smog, Miasma, Wight Prince, and the Nimzo Wight King.

I can also tell that's a different user taking a page out of my book, not to put anything indelicately.

Also the Monsters games tend to have a fair portion of 7 representations.  However there are also a ton of monsters that haven't seen much representation from 5 that are in 11:

Dark/Great Dragon and Mechanical Dragon are included here.

Some unique monsters only spawned in 10, like the Dragon-kin Nokturnus look-alike, and that giant dragon that has more human proportions in its limbs, and the left hand always carries a crystal ball.

I saw quite a number of things from DQ4 that haven't been in the series since...4.  A few that have only been present since 2, and several that haven't been in the series since 3: 7's version of Eastern dragons are distinct from 3's...this brings back 3's style.

Ok...does anyone have a link to the bonus boss battle?  I'd love to see that guy.  No, I DO NOT CARE about spoilers.  Never have.  It's the journey and experience that matter for me, and no amount of spoiling can tell me the nuanced elements in between that help build up to key plot points, surprises.  As for bonus bosses...I clearly don't care about any surprises, so if someone could please link me I'd be greatful.  I haven't found any videos yet that showcase the battle.  I'm kind of hoping there's more than one...

I also want boss battle link.

Oh,and I didn't know dragonturnus is from X ^^'

No, I DO NOT CARE about spoilers. Never have. It's the journey and experience that matter for me, and no amount of spoiling can tell me the nuanced elements in between that help build up to key plot points, surprises.

I agree with this sentiment for some things, but not all. Red Dead Redemption's ending loses a lot of impact if you know it going into the game, for instance.

No, I DO NOT CARE about spoilers. Never have. It's the journey and experience that matter for me, and no amount of spoiling can tell me the nuanced elements in between that help build up to key plot points, surprises.

I agree with this sentiment for some things, but not all. Red Dead Redemption's ending loses a lot of impact if you know it going into the game, for instance.

Fair point, some storylines, the depth of the story is really about the nuanced elements within, that lose out in impact and resonance if said elements are revealed.  So I suppose I should preface my post with Dragon Quest is a game series where spoilers mean little to nothing in the larger context of the story.  Though perhaps 11 might change this given it's considered the most story centric and driven game in the series, with more twists and surprises than 7, 8, and 9.

I also want boss battle link.

Oh,and I didn't know dragonturnus is from X ^^'

Yeah, I looked up all the Dragon types in X at one point.  I'm pretty sure I recall seeing it amongst the pack.

What's interesting is the design reminds me of Nokturnus and the Dragoon designs of Final Fantasy, especially the 14 variations.  I wonder if they weren't initially created as a cross-over, or an inspirational element between 14 and 10?  Kind of like the special Golem's in FF14.

• Upvote 1

I don't think knowing of major bosses or final bosses necessarily ruins the experience. I found to Dragon Quest V to be constantly brilliant and powerful even on a second playthrough the DS, even though i knew of Nimzo since I was 7. The same has gone for VI, VII, and VIII.

I don't think knowing of major bosses or final bosses necessarily ruins the experience. I found to Dragon Quest V to be constantly brilliant and powerful even on a second playthrough the DS, even though i knew of Nimzo since I was 7. The same has gone for VI, VII, and VIII.

Another statement I agree with, but with two caveats:

1. If the boss is heavily story relevant, such as the boss fight after the Dhoulmagus fight, that's something that probably shouldn't be spoiled.

2. If footage of the fight spoils something entirely unrelated, that's not cool. An example would be seeing a character in the battle who seemingly died earlier, but you haven't gotten to that point yet. The character's "death" would have no weight then, since you would already know that he or she survives.

Another statement I agree with, but with two caveats:

1. If the boss is heavily story relevant, such as the boss fight after the Dhoulmagus fight, that's something that probably shouldn't be spoiled.

2. If footage of the fight spoils something entirely unrelated, that's not cool. An example would be seeing a character in the battle who seemingly died earlier, but you haven't gotten to that point yet. The character's "death" would have no weight then, since you would already know that he or she survives.

The first bonus boss in 7 is also a MAJOR story spoiler, and the biggest surprise in the game.  Though I already had it spoiled for me, given the nature of the significance of what that boss represents, it would be a horrible thing to just blurt out without a warning.

I agree with the events after Dhoulmagus, given the entire second half of the story hinges on the scene immediately following his demise.  Nevermind the major scenes after the next two story-boss battles and their significance within the larger plot.

I personally may not mind the info because it doesn't give me full context, but they are far too substantial to lightly reveal.

VII's is a little too obvious early on as it wouldn't really reveal the surprise, but if revealed to someone after just having beaten the boss following Coastal?  The surprise is ruined.

VI's is definitely not a reveal of any significance, because there's little to no context, even in the dialogue, that makes sense until after Murdaw, and by then we're already made aware he's just a pawn in a larger game.  By the time we've met Jamirus 30~40 minutes later, it's fairly obvious there's a big bad running the show at the end, and the context is laid bare, it's just certain details are unknown.

V's is...yeah.  I mean if someone revealed a certain scene halfway through the final dungeon...sure, that would just blow the story up.  Even early on, because nothing properly prepares for the end-result of the scene.  Especially given EVERYTHING that came before.  You'd think SOMETHING good was going to come out of this whole adventure.  The story would be a bit more than mere revenge and retribution.