Voice Acting in Video Games

Since we have this topic, I'll ask this to everyone: what game is has your favorite voice acting in it?

At the top of my head, final fantasy 12 and dragon quest 8 are always the two standouts to me. They might not be the absolute best around, but they have a lot of charm behind them while remaining really solid. The best voice acting usually doesn't come from Japan tho in my experience.

Since we have this topic, I'll ask this to everyone: what game is has your favorite voice acting in it?

Persona series, Uncharted series, and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

What voice acting I've heard in Shadows of Valentina have been quite average at best.

And Uncharted also features motion capture, so the actors get to act out entire scenes and perform lines with their whole body. It's different from just voice acting. It's more work but it makes performing lines a completely different experience from standing in a booth and reading dialogue from a script.

That's a hard question to answer. I love Dragon Quest 8's voice acting, not a a single voice feels out of place and it doesn't jarringly stand out. Final Fantasy 12 though is a thing of beauty from what little I've played, Alexandar O Smith is the best translator in the business and it shows, the voice direction is pitch perfect, special mention to the leading man. The Last Story also had an incredible dub that was way better than it had any right to be, everyone sounded so normal and natural in a way that is unusual for a jrpg. It really sold the group dynamic of the game through their many casual interactions. Xenoblade Chronicles X has an underrated dub, with the exception of Lin there aren't really any standout performances but the overall quality is fairly consistent compared to Xenoblade which had some questionable voice performances (Fiora) and the usage of anime actors suited the game. Oh, and Fallout New Vegas. And Uncharted (for obvious reasons).

Soo, all of the above? :thumbsup:

Edited by Psaro

I'd go with Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Final Fantasy IV DS. The latter was one I thought I wouldn't like, but I quickly found the voices matched what I had imagined for the characters.

Edit: I remembered the game. It's Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

At the top of my head, final fantasy 12 and dragon quest 8 are always the two standouts to me. They might not be the absolute best around, but they have a lot of charm behind them while remaining really solid. The best voice acting usually doesn't come from Japan tho in my experience.
Oh I would like to give credit to both Nier games. Background characters aside the main voice cast did a fantastic job on this one. It has my favorite performances from liam o'brien as Grimoir Weiss and Laura Bailey as Kaine. I also really like the voice actors for Emil and Devola and Popola. The main character also definately isn't bad, but it is probabely my least favorite of the bunch. As for Nier automata, A2 and 2B were great, but 9S in particular was fantastic, especially in the later parts of the game.

Also Yangus reminded me, SMT4 did have some really memorable stuff in there when it came to delivery. And I wanted to leave out the persona games, since there are some questionable performances throughout the series. But the good definately outweighs the bad, and I am super attached to these characters and their voice work. So, shoutouts to persona as well.

Edited by Emptilion

What voice acting I've heard in Shadows of Valentina have been quite average at best.
Only voice I'd call average in that game is Catria (the blue haired middle sister of the Pegasus Sisters). Her voice actress just sounds so bored, especially whenever you first select her in a battle.

"At your service..." she says as flatly as possible.

Oh I would like to give credit to both Nier games. Background characters aside the main voice cast did a fantastic job on this one. It has my favorite performances from liam o'brien as Grimoir Weiss and Laura Bailey as Kaine. I also really like the voice actors for Emil and Devola and Popola. The main character also definately isn't bad, but it is probabely my least favorite of the bunch. As for Nier automata, A2 and 2B were great, but 9S in particular was fantastic, especially in the later parts of the game.

Also Yangus reminded me, SMT4 did have some really memorable stuff in there when it came to delivery. And I wanted to leave out the persona games, since there are some questionable performances throughout the series. But the good definately outweighs the bad, and I am super attached to these characters and their voice work. So, shoutouts to persona as well.

"Behold, my demons!"

Loved that line from Walter and so did Atlus because you can set it as your Streetpass phrase on your Hunter License in Apocalypse. Chose that one without a second thought.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

And Uncharted also features motion capture, so the actors get to act out entire scenes and perform lines with their whole body. It's different from just voice acting. It's more work but it makes performing lines a completely different experience from standing in a booth and reading dialogue from a script.

Yangus already took on your first point. As for your second, did you assume I wasn't aware of that?

Yangus already took on your first point. As for your second, did you assume I wasn't aware of that?

No, I just don't think it's fair to compare voice acting with voice acting that includes motion capture. While the process itself is harder, the voices come out more naturalistic, so the actual vocal acting is easier.

No, I just don't think it's fair to compare voice acting with voice acting that includes motion capture. While the process itself is harder, the voices come out more naturalistic, so the actual vocal acting is easier.

Who's comparing? Yangus was asking about our favorites, and Uncharted has some of mine.

Who's comparing? Yangus was asking about our favorites, and Uncharted has some of mine.

I guess comparing is the wrong word. I personally don't know if I can define it as voice acting if other forms of acting is involved in the process.

The short version though is that my opinion is right, as I am right about everything, and if you have a different one then that means you are wrong. There is no such thing as an opinion. It's simply "what eal does or does not think." That's how it works for everything.

You know, I really appreciate your brand of humor, eal. Yours, and everyone else's here too. If only more sites had members like you guys.

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

Persona games.

4G & Q have been legit, yes. I've enjoyed them. I like the EO games when the characters yell out stuff during battles.

Wait, wait, wait...you played the Untold games with the volume on?

Persona games.

4G & Q have been legit, yes. I've enjoyed them. I like the EO games when the characters yell out stuff during battles.
Maybe.

Once.

Twice.

A few times.

Persona games.

Maybe.

Once.

Twice.

A few times.

I KNEW IT! You old dog...

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Blackrazor187 said:

voice acting is a very important aspect in games and it enhances the story even more.

That’s debatable. I’ve played games that have voice acting but I didn’t feel like they added anything. There’s some where I’ve turned them off entirely. 🤣

voice acting is a very important aspect in games and it enhances the story even more.
I think of voice acting like I think of the newest kitchen gadget I have my eye on.

I want it.
I need it.
I can't wait to get it.

I never use it.

Sorry, I play 90% on mute, so honestly it's something I like but really never listen to.