Yangus's Dark Souls II Electric Boogaloo

To keep the What RPG topic clean of constant posts, I'm going to start a play log for my Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin experience.

I've defeated my first boss, the Last Giant! Good starting boss, as he was slow but hit hard. My experience with Bloodborne taught me to stay behind the big creatures and it will work most of the time.

I got the key he dropped and used it on a lock door a few rooms away, but going that was was a bad idea because the next boss, The Pursuer, kicked my ass. I could barely scratch the guy with my weapon, so I'll need to go back for a rematch later with better gear and higher levels, though I did recover my Souls.

As for now, I'm back in the town of Majula, gonna upgrade some stats, then head off to another area and see what I can do.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I ended up going back to the Forest of Giants and did some more exploring. Found another Bonfire in the area, had to deal with an annoying NPC invader, and found some items.

Now I'm at Heide's Tower of Flame. Not many enemies here, but what enemies are here are giant knights who, while slow, hit hard. The worst enemies are the white knights who can run at you and can switch up their sword attack styles. Notes from other players say it's easy to parry them with shields, but I'm having no luck with that.

This area, for its lack of enemies, is proving to be frustrating to get through. I'm thinking I'll need to grind for Souls and purchase a lot of life gems.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

God bless you.

I've heard enough about the original to know the Scholar version is the way to go...though I don't like the faster frame rate since I'm so used to Bloodborne's. The FPS took getting used to on my PS4, though playing via remote play on Vita does help a little.

At my old job, a friend told me many things about the original version of Dark Souls II. Things I was really surprised about. This game not being directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki really shows, but I'm liking it.

I managed to get through Heide's Tower and reached the beginning of No Man's Wharf. The Dragonrider boss wasn't too bad, though I died due to miss timing my evasion rolls.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to wear heavy armor without hampering your rolling speed.

My post was less about the SOTFS version and more about Dark Souls 2 in general (both versions have their own problems regardless). That coupled with the fact that you're coming straight from Bloodborne which is miles ahead of DaS2 in just about every aspect, especially in regards to movement and control lol.

Your comment came across as you being glad I chose Scholar. Whatever I guess.

I have no problems adapting to older games in a series. Takes getting used to, but other than a few games I've never really felt off when going back to an older game in a series.

Though I'm really realizing I need to take things slower with Dark Souls 2. Playing this game just makes me want to get the recent all in one version of Dark Souls 3, but I must finish DS2 first!

I have a soft spot for dark souls 2. Dark souls 3 is definately the better game technically, but I feel a lot more attached to 2. 2 feels different from the rest of the series "for obvious reasons", while 3 reused a lot of the concepts and story elements of the first game. I felt really burned out from the series while playing 3. Definately was the least excited I had ever been out of any game in the series, while bloodborne really grabbed my interest.

I hope the next soulslike game fromsoft puts out isn't a sequel. As much as I wouldn't complain about a bloodborne 2, I feel like fromsoft does things best when they have new material to work with. I definately wouldn't mind another medieval or victorian setting tho.

I've made it out of No Man's Wharf and took the ship across the sea to the next area. I'd put the name of the area but honestly I can't remember what it is right now. The rest of No Man's Wharf was...annoying. It seemed like aggroing one enemy made the rest come after you. The boss of the Wharf wasn't too bad, though it took several attempts to beat him. The sword side was the problem, but I pulled through.

I went back to take on the Pursuer first. This time, I managed to beat him on the first rematch. Wasn't able to use the ballistas in the boss room, but that's alright. I was able to slowly whittle his health down and played cautiously, and beating him was super satisfying.

Now, I'll probably check out the bird nest behind the Pursuer's boss room once I can play the game. I'd say I made some good progress for what little I played earlier this morning.

I claimed my first Great Soul! The Lost Sinner is surprisingly fast, so after some failed attempts I decided to summon an ally at the beginning of the hallway leading to the boss room.

I made it through most of the Lost Bastille (need to go back and check for any missed items), freed Straid from petrification and traded my boss souls for boss weapons, and have begun moving through the Shaded Grove (the forest where you encounter a number of poisonous fat monsters and falconeers). Freed the woman who was petrified right before you enter the area, and she told me about pyromancing skills and her backstory. I'm going for a physical build, so what she had for items didn't interest me much.

Looks like the next place I can go into is a misty forest. I can only imagine what might be hiding in the mist, and I already know there are near invisible soldiers in there.

For those who have played Dark Souls 2, how do I increase my weight limit on what I can equip? I've been trying to get my character so he can wield weapons or heavy armor without having slow rolls/reactions, but I'm not sure what stat or stats I should be focusing on.

It has been a while since I have played DS2 so I might be wrong. But I believe the stat you are looking for is vitality.

For those who have played Dark Souls 2, how do I increase my weight limit on what I can equip? I've been trying to get my character so he can wield weapons or heavy armor without having slow rolls/reactions, but I'm not sure what stat or stats I should be focusing on.

You need to level vitality for increasing equip load. There are also rings you can get to increase it as well.

Thanks for letting me know! I put some points in it and I'm noticing a difference already.

I tried to take on the Scropioness boss...and I was so close to winning in my first attempt! But then I lost to because she got me with the jump out of the sand attack. At this point I have two bosses I need to kill if I want to progress, but man, I'm having no luck with either and it's disheartening. I'm thinking I need to focus on strengthening a sword or two so I can kill these bosses quickly.

• 1 month later...

thge first souls game i playd were dark souls 2 than demon souls and now dark souls 1 so far dark souls 1 is my favorite simpley becuse of a certen sword