Sign in to follow this  
AlefgardHero

Has anyone tried Fortune Street Smart for iPhone?

See title. I don't use Apple stuff and was curious how many people actually knew about this game.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

See title. I don't use Apple stuff and was curious how many people actually knew about this game.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Japan only I'm assuming?

Edit: Nevermind. I see it has no DQ people (or any other game characters) in it. Not for me.

Edited by Plattym3

I played it years ago. Not very good. I'm shocked it was localized at all though.

I played it years ago. Not very good. I'm shocked it was localized at all though.

Well it was the crossover with Mario and pushed as such, so perhaps that was what Nintendo was truly hoping for at the time- use Mario to push a video board game. If Mario couldn't push this title, then its not a blemish on DQ not selling in the West. Its instead one of Mario's rare unsuccessful ventures in the West.

Still better than the Hotel Mario debacle.

Pretty much had the same experience as eal. After having played the Wii game, I was surprised to find a mobile version, but was instantly disappointed there was no Dragon Quest stuff. Definitely one to skip.

Well it was the crossover with Mario and pushed as such, so perhaps that was what Nintendo was truly hoping for at the time- use Mario to push a video board game. If Mario couldn't push this title, then its not a blemish on DQ not selling in the West. Its instead one of Mario's rare unsuccessful ventures in the West.

Still better than the Hotel Mario debacle.

The only reason we got Fortune Street at all was because Mario was in it.

I fell in love with the game-play of Fortune Street. I got and played the game because of DQ but stayed for the hours (and hours) (and hours) of playtime. I guess I should frame my question as such: Does the iPhone version play like the Wii game at all? If so I am still totally down, and quite disappointed that they didn't release the Android version here as well even though they went through the trouble of translating it for iPhone.

Being a fan of this game is now a separate issue from it being DQ or Mario, for me. I am totally stoked for the PS4 fortune Street with DQ and FF characters. I realize that it probs won't be localized but it may be the first game I import just because my family and i have played the Wii one so much that we could figure out the rest fairly easily. I've even thought about getting the PS2 DQ/FF version as well. Amazon Japan has that one NEW for 30ish dollars (before shipping).

Are you the guy who messaged me over on Romhacking.net OP?

Anyways, I've played it as well. Sucks that it's iOS exclusive AND they haven't updated it with proper support for Apple TV or even iPad support (it works for iPad, but it's not really "optimized" for it).

There's some neat board designs and the quests (short games against the CPU with unique conditions) are fun to do while watching tv out passing time, but yeah it's pretty bland all around.

Are you the guy who messaged me over on Romhacking.net OP?

Anyways, I've played it as well. Sucks that it's iOS exclusive AND they haven't updated it with proper support for Apple TV or even iPad support (it works for iPad, but it's not really "optimized" for it).

There's some neat board designs and the quests (short games against the CPU with unique conditions) are fun to do while watching tv out passing time, but yeah it's pretty bland all around.

Nope, not me.

Thanks you for the info. I was thinking of looking for a used iPad to play this and a couple other Apple exclusives, and your experience is just the insight I needed. I won't be jumping through hoops now to play, but I'd still like to try it.

Oh ok, there was a guy that messaged me over there a couple weeks ago saying he was a big fan of the Wii game and REALLY wanted to try the PS2 game and didn't mind if it was incomplete. I'm fixing up the existing fan translation to be more in line with the official Wii and iOS games. I'm seriously a hair's breath from finishing, I've just been busy with work lately (and Zelda).

Considering the whole game on iOS is a good 15-20 dollars, if you had to choose one, I'd go with the PS2 game, besides assuming you have a system to play it on, I'd love to hear how well my patch works and looks on real hardware (I've been using emulation for testing/playing).

• Upvote 1

If you are thinking about getting the PS2 Itadaki Street Special, do it!

For me, it is the best of these DQ related Itadaki Street games. Not only does it have a lot of characters and boards (Portable was way smaller, and DS and Wii were a joke), it also includes the sphere mode, which practically counts as another game.

I am waiting for the 30th Anniversary game. I hope it goes back to thi game's greatness (if you have only played the Nintendo ones, you will be surprised how much better the PlayStation ones are).

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely will be keeping an eye on it.