Sign in to follow this  
Imutone

Localization News: DQXI

1 hour ago, Imutone said:

Well there's Emma, the childhood friend. I guess I thought I saw Camus in there but it's nowhere.

Sooooo, one confirmed name. Better then none? 

This isn't necessarily true. From what I understand, he was playing the Japanese version, right? While I doubt Emma will change, it could be that he's just using her Japanese name.

Camus should totally be Cameron.

I didn't even realize my thumb was in the picture I posted.

Now you've all seen it. I feel so exposed.

9 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I didn't even realize my thumb was in the picture I posted.

Now you've all seen it. I feel so exposed.

*prepares spectrographic fingerprint analysis...*

They say no two thumbs are alike.

On 12/30/2017 at 9:54 AM, ignasia said:

*prepares spectrographic fingerprint analysis...*

They say no two thumbs are alike.

It will take you years to compare my prints against everyone in the nation!

Oh wait....it's 2017 and that can be done nearly instantaneously...

8 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Oh wait....it's 2017 and that can be done nearly instantaneously...

Depending on your time zone it's 2018.

I honestly think we'll get more news soon they can't remain silent for too much longer i just hope we get the PS4 version cause thats all i got.

1 hour ago, Vespy said:

I honestly think we'll get more news soon they can't remain silent for too much longer i just hope we get the PS4 version cause thats all i got.

I think the PS4 version is a sure thing, it's the 3DS version that is a maybe what with the the 3DS "on the way out"

But they can remain silent for much longer, trust me... Square Enix has a strange relationship with Dragon Quest in the west.

also Welcome to the forum

• Like 2

Thanks for easing my fears we have not had a main line DQ game on sony consoles in the west in almost 13 years 

I think the PS4 version is a sure thing, it's the 3DS version that is a maybe what with the the 3DS "on the way out"
But they can remain silent for much longer, trust me... Square Enix has a strange relationship with Dragon Quest in the west.
also Welcome to the forum
Unless Sony footed the bill for the transition I can't see why they wouldn't bring the 3DS version. But you're right it is Square Enix after all.

I honestly think we'll get more news soon they can't remain silent for too much longer

Squeenix? 18ece76a9ed871072344ee157d8e7dd5.jpg

Certainly hope we get the 3DS version. > o< Because it's what my poor fingers can handle best and that would help quite a bit in letting me get to actually PLAY the game. I also hope they're working on securing some voice acting for the game and maybe that's going to be part of said "coming announcement". I need Urnoga-sama's voice in my ears. More than I need air. Either way I'm just happy we get it at all.......(I have the Japanese version but I always of course would like an english version lol) 

Yeah knowing Enix we might be waiting a few monthes for any kind of info 

I wanna get the 3DS version as well for those classic DQ throwbacks it has.

We'll see I guess, just gotta wait for Square Enix now.

I honestly think we'll see 11 release in July honestly,i mean it took them nearly a year to localize 8 hands down one of the best RPG's i have ever played 

Lots of good theories on why SE haven't announced anything specific yet, but honestly I think it's much more likely that the reason is much more simple:

They just put out "fall 2017" as a loose promise and didn't really care about following up on it because no one in the video game industry takes deadlines seriously. Only hardcore DQ fans actually sit around eagerly awaiting a release date, while the rest of the potential target group probably haven't even noticed that the game exists yet, and won't care until Squenix actually start promoting the game in the west, whenever that might be.

Edited by Sumez

On 1/2/2018 at 2:14 AM, Sumez said:

Lots of good theories on why SE haven't announced anything specific yet, but honestly I think it's much more likely that the reason is much more simple:

They just put out "fall 2017" as a loose promise and didn't really care about following up on it because no one in the video game industry takes deadlines seriously. Only hardcore DQ fans actually sit around eagerly awaiting a release date, while the rest of the potential target group probably haven't even noticed that the game exists yet, and won't care until Squenix actually start promoting the game in the west, whenever that might be.

This is a very good point.

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

This is a very good point.

It's really the only point. It doesn't go much deeper then that.

1 hour ago, eal said:

Shhh! Let me pretend I'm smart and not some annoying hardcore fan! 

4 hours ago, eal said:

Yup.

6 hours ago, Imutone said:

Shhh! Let me pretend I'm smart and not some annoying hardcore fan! 

I know you're joking, but I don't agree with Sumez.

One only has to consider Japanese culture itself, and that it was Horii himself who promised the fall reveal.  That's not even remotely small.  It would essentially be a massive insult and personal injury to Mr. Horii if SE wasn't remotely serious about following through.  People suicide in Japan over less than this.  Much less.  This was serious, it was planned, it had an announcement initially, it had a second announcement in October with Twitter/Facebook, including changing the DQ Builders background themes to a plain slime just for the pre-reveal announcement.

No, this was serious, it was not intended to be pushed back, and yes, SE would not take this lightly.

Edited by ignasia
  • Upvote 2

I get where you're coming from, but I think you're also overestimating how important a western release is to Horii or anyone at Squenix. They are doing it because there's money to be made, but the game was entirely developed with the Japanese audience in mind.

Squenix actually start promoting the game in the west,

Oh man, I needed a good laugh today. Thanks for this!

On 1/5/2018 at 7:03 AM, Sumez said:

I get where you're coming from, but I think you're also overestimating how important a western release is to Horii or anyone at Squenix. They are doing it because there's money to be made, but the game was entirely developed with the Japanese audience in mind.

I don't think the problem is SE doesn't care.  That was technically a problem post-DQMJ, the last game while Wada was president, that SE directly promoted, and asked the help of journalists for some direction (ask Dwaine).

DQIV was at a time when SE was gearing up for major FF13 promotions, and due to their corporate restructuring under Wada, being very compartmentalized, again, one can ask Dwaine or there are a myriad number of articles posted around the time of Yoichi Wada's ousting from the time there was internal rumbling the board would remove him to the point after he was demoted to head the mobile division...  I have a link somewhere covering insider information on how most submissions and requests never go through the right channels because divisions are split too deeply into subsections with too many middle managers, and no direct feed lines for the company to see, no direct routing lines to assure money or upper management ideas are secured, done, paid for, etc.

DQV was at a time when SE noticed DQIV had sold poorly, likely never checking if DQIV was marketed, again due to the nature of splitting a company into too many sub-divisions and middle managers where stuff gets lost in translation easily if one or two middle management groups are overtaxed and overburdened, which often happens in almost every government office and any corporation that follows the same path.  It's a case of, like with IV, the head not knowing how the body is functioning because it's too much muck to work out, and they assume the middle managers will sort out the mess and notify of a problem.  However it's less likely to happen if the blame falls squarely on one or two shoulders and someone is likely to be fired...which is much more stigmatized in Japanese culture versus Western culture.

DQIX was paid for, but had to be halted as it was being localized at the same time SE was overburdened with the initial release of FF14, and cleaning up the mess they made after personally destroying the FF11's fanbase from 2.5~3 million down to a few hundred thousand in one day....one day.  All after claiming FF14 would be replacing FF11, and 14's initial rollout plagued by low numbers of FF11 fans flocking to it, but at the same time, FAR more than they assumed, as the servers had trouble handling the initial load.  Nevermind the constant gripes, and SE having to close it down.  In that media frenzy over FF14's beta debacle, DQIX was clearly put on the back burner, and Nintendo offered to carry the torch, or SE approached Nintendo and asked.  Whichever happened, due to the nature of compartmentalization, multitasking is actually MUCH harder for a company to do, as getting information flow from top to bottom requires several channels to pass through, nevermind issues like down servers, lost information in translation, overburdened middle-managers, and lower/middle/upper people not wanting to take blame so shifting the message to reduce impact on their department.

DQVI had the displeasure of being around both in the aftermath of FF14's initial rollout, and SE cleaning up the mess, alongside pushing FF14's upcoming release.  There were a few other things going on at the same time.  Take the other scenarios, put in that corporate upper managers would place priorities on certain products, and rereleases would have lower priority.  Take into account 4 and 5's sales as opposed to 9's, and the priority was MUCH lower from upper management, who likely had no clue why 4 and 5 sold so poorly, due potentially to lack of information and intentionally false information to avoid being fired from those actually responsible.  Nintendo takes up the torch, but it's been sitting in limbo due to 14 for months and Plus Alpha was onto a new project, and thus 8-4 had to be hired.

So yes, while lower priority, this would not have been a problem in the past had SE had better structuring, more open channels, and fewer split departments.

Cut to Wada's deposal as head, and SE's corporate restructuring.  They begin answering more random questions.  They start actually addressing DQ, though usually with negative news, or wishy-washy statements.  SE talks to the news more.  Does more interviews of producers, directors, writers, etc. with the gaming press.  There's more open news press at e3 (not just a showing and a demo room, but actual discussions of games with IGN/etc., something that hadn't been done since the merger).  We see the mobile releases come relatively quickly to us...with a year apart at first, but eventually a few months apart between releases, and they even relocalize 1~3 for us.  There's discussion of restarting DQ in the West, and a lot of open ended conversations, with deflecting or wishy-washy statements on DQ7.  This happens over months, then direct talks about DQ Heroes, with a promise of DQ7.  Then a retraction of DQ7...oops, looks like someone let it slip.  Then we see more talk about how DQ11 is going to come over, and the PS4 direction and using unreal engine had Western gamers in mind as well as Japanese.  Then lots of push about DQ Heroes.  Then Horii let's it slip DQ7 and 8 are coming Westward.  Then SE's second retraction, while trying to make it seem like the media heard Horii wrong, not that Horii himself was wrong (take note of this, it's rather significant).  Then the official announcement and a teaser for DQ Builders maybe coming stateside.  Then a discussion panel indicating DQ Heroes and Builders were also with Western gamers in mind.  Then DQ Builders is announced.  Then DQ7 is released.  Then DQ8.  Then DQ Builders is pushed harder than DQ Heroes 1 was.  Then DQ Builders is released.  Then DQHeroes 2 is announced Westward.  Then Heroes 2 is pushed harder than Heroes 1 and Builders.  Which is a gradual increase in willingness to promote the DQ franchise.  Nevermind DQ Builders for the Switch was announced for us.

Now we come to today.  DQ, according to SE, has been pushed slowly leading up to DQ 11.  They WANT DQ to do well in the US.  It's not a matter of priority for them now.  It's a matter of risk management.  These are businessmen who aren't sure as to how DQ11 will fare.  They have seen Heroes 1+2 and Builders do well enough to keep increasing the scale and level of promotion...slowly, but it has increased in time, scale, and commercialization.  I had seen far more commercials for Heroes 2 than 1 and Builders, and for Builders than Heroes 1.  Far more.  They have mentioned not once, but at least five separate times that they want DQ to do well in the West, and they're willing to play the long-game over this.  They're willing to cater to fan desires; DQ7 and 8...and no Nintendo is not THE reason, as further interviews with the director indicated, but Nintendo is significant in that it helped alleviate SE's burden of trying to get 7 and 8's promised releases while they were waaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaay late on FF15, meaning FF15 had priority, and with Nintendo backing it, it would help promote the games better than they could.  They were already planning on 7 and 8 due to fan demand long before big N got involved.  However we should thank the big N because it likely wouldn't even have seen youtube videos, or scant videos at that (more of the Healix team...which are likeable, but have a smaller audience and aren't particularly skilled at salesmanship).

For them, this is a priority, but they're taking it from a general risk assessment position.  They want a big push, rather than small gradual pushes, like with DQ8 and 9.  They're too scared as to the potential sales ceiling of the game and the fear of few new incomers to the DQ franchise to play it the smart way of gradual releases or leaks.

The only things about this recent debacle, is that they clearly WERE going to release information.  We all saw the twitter and facebook feeds.  It's how I knew about them...ghosting this site.  We all saw the removal of the banners for those October postings.  We all saw Sony jump the gun on DQ11 as a result, around the same time, just prior to the DQ facebook and twitter changing their avatars/backgrounds to the plain slime and giving the teaser statement that the promised release info was upcoming soon.  As a certain dancing cat,  mnicolai, mentioned, Nintendo's resurrection of the Nintendo Direct was promised to have the Switch account system introduced.  SE also had yet to reveal the DQ11 Switch info...and while perhaps the lack of Nintendo being prepared with their Switch reveal, and absent from the direct was a major factor, I do think that SE definitely rethought their direction, and realized for them it's cheaper and more manageable to release the info with the Switch ready as well.  So I don't think we'll see anything until the Switch has been announced and fully revealed for Japan, and likely prior to Nintendo's new account system introduction.  Especially since DQ11 is not an online game.

I'll likely be alone on this, but I don't see SE as a personal entity, but rather a business entity.  It's not about care...oh, they care.  They do WANT DQ popular worldwide.  It's the golden egg, and Horii was the Goose.  It's always cost substantially less to develop than FF, with far far far far far fewer people...like 1/3 to 1/10th the team sizes as compared to FF teams for mainline, gaiden, and remakes/remasters/ports.  So it's a profit driver, and arguably is the sole reason SE still exists, and the reason why most KH and FF fans should be sucking DQ's dick, or they wouldn't have their franchises.  Yes this is clearly due almost entirely to the Japanese market.  It's about risk assessment and old-world thought and approach to sales.  It's about their internal apprehension of sales potential for DQ11, and why they're so mum about it.

However, I should point out, with the exception of DQ3, the mobile releases in just the US match the mobile releases in Japan for sales.  Almost 1:1, with DQ1 being higher in Japan, but DQ6 being higher in the US, and the US having a higher representation of Android to iPhone users...usually the number of Droid to iPhones is higher in Japan:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/260415/market-share-held-by-smartphone-operating-systems-in-japan/

Though at the time of the first mobile releases, iPhone was king, the most critical point of 2014 had a higher droid presence.  Though arguably likely real share in terms of current users is closer to 50/50 in Japan and it's hard to say who has the edge, while it's a bit closer to 70/30 Droid to iPhone in the US.  What I'm getting at is that iTunes does not directly give you sales numbers for games..

DQ3 is the exception because DQ3 went free in Japan on its anniversary.  Went from roughly the same sales as the US to multi-millions of downloads.  The point of this?  SE knows the market isn't much different in real-terms, with mobile...or should if they pay attention.  Then again they haven't exactly attempted a "free" DQ game here.  Not once, which is insanely stupid.  So maybe not...actually that's a point in your ballpark, and a strike against my reasoning, a pretty heavy one.

I think you'll all be shocked at the level of promotion SE puts into DQ11 when it comes time.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, ignasia said:

I think you'll all be shocked at the level of promotion SE puts into DQ11 when it comes time.

I sure hope you're right about this part.

The success, or lack thereof, revolving around the release of DQ XI could affect the future of Dragon Quest in the west.

2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I sure hope you're right about this part.

The success, or lack thereof, revolving around the release of DQ XI could affect the future of Dragon Quest in the west.

That much is definitely true.