Sign in to follow this  
Imutone

Localization News: DQXI

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

20171225_095853.jpg

You know, this DOES mean that the unmentionable ones did spend money for an article in the most widely circulated magazine in the US to make up for the lack of their Fall surprise.

Here's a question of significance: What page number is that on?  If high, is it middle or at the back?

Why this matters?  It determines how much money they spent, since Gamestop are cheap bastards who charge an arm and a leg to get any exposure at all.  So the closer to the front, the more "the-company-which-shall-not-be-named" spent.

Edited by ignasia

5 hours ago, ignasia said:

You know, this DOES mean that the unmentionable ones did spend money for an article in the most widely circulated magazine in the US to make up for the lack of their Fall surprise.

Here's a question of significance: What page number is that on?  If high, is it middle or at the back?

Why this matters?  It determines how much money they spent, since Gamestop are cheap bastards who charge an arm and a leg to get any exposure at all.  So the closer to the front, the more "the-company-which-shall-not-be-named" spent.

If I recall, it was kinda towards the back. Not the last few pages but definitely not in the middle section either. 

And since they probably DID pay some money, why just that!? Could you seriously not pay your social media manger to make a few posts or something? Gah! I get a headache thinking about their actions!

7 minutes ago, Imutone said:

If I recall, it was kinda towards the back. Not the last few pages but definitely not in the middle section either. 

And since they probably DID pay some money, why just that!? Could you seriously not pay your social media manger to make a few posts or something? Gah! I get a headache thinking about their actions!

I just thought about it...maybe this Game Informer article was the news we were supposed to get this fall...

2 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I just thought about it...maybe this Game Informer article was the news we were supposed to get this fall...

You know as I was typing... I thought of that too. This... Honestly brings up more questions. 

Biggest one being, "Why do the fans have to make theories on what the hell Square is up to with DQXI?" 

Edited by Imutone
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Imutone said:

You know as I was typing... I thought of that too. This... Honestly brings up more questions. 

Biggest one being, "Why do the fans have to make theories on what the hell Square is up to with DQXI?" 

Nope, it's not, because it's not a reveal.  The original announcement was due in October.  That never happened, and it was billed and promoted as a press release, meaning it would see traction in whatever publications decided to write an article about it (free press for a paid for press release).  It was also billed to showcase extra information specifically about the international release, which you guys have already indicated is not present in this article, and is clearly not part of the single page of text posted by cprmauldin.

The way this article is handled is to discuss it based on what is already known, with absolutely no news at all.  Meaning it is the exact opposite of the planned response, which was to be a "news" event detailing the specifics of the international release, which would clearly include the systems we would see a release on, and accompanying localized screen shots, which this likely does not show, or you and others would have posted pictures of by now, all excited and pumped.

This is more of a reminder, not any official release.  October there was a facebook and twitter post with a plain, but giant slime plastered, and used as the backdrop for both the twitter and facebook accounts (banner really).  That was removed along with the posts after a week.  It's gone, and sadly doesn't even exist on wayback machine or internet archive (I've checked), as no one used a direct link via a search engine while it was up and present.  Plus their spiders have to be presently witnessing the page at the time of the event, which is crappy, but conserves resources I guess?

In anycase, this is an alternative to keep DQ11 in the lexicon of language.

That said, case in point, you're right, they SHOULD be talking about the game on twitter/facebook, and NOT just the DQ page, but the normal page, and LINK to the DQ page.  Gets more traction, and is the only reason why DQ7 and 8 had any support from non-DQ fans, or at least mentions on social media...but then again, that was only due to us directly referencing it in responses to their general pages and the SE blog.  For that matter, there should be an SE blog post or two talking about the game.  Even just a few hints or teasers would be nice.

I suppose the positive is they are aware they need to talk about the game.  That said, they still have yet to come at this from a position of excitement, and what's the point of hiring a team of marketers just to run a DQ facebook, webpage, and twitter page if not to put them to work?  Doesn't cost them any extra to post a few teasers on their main site and link to the others, or even this article.  So you're right, they're incredibly stupid for not playing this up.

---

What's worse is that it's at the back, so they didn't spend much on it, but hopefully that is not indicative of their formal campaign once they get things moving.

As it is, I do not believe we'll see anything official until the official Switch reveal.  That way their bottom line isn't hurt as badly, and they can market it to the largest potential audience possible with the lowest and smallest expenditure possible.  The ONE thing I am worried about is will they showcase DQ11 alongside other games that are likely to overshadow it?  Like KH 3?  If they're stupid, they will.  If they want success, they'll ignore the KH fanboys and just do a focused presser...maybe with lesser games as mentions, like the upcoming Switch/PS4 games.  Actually that would be smart, as it would feel like it's about SE games in general, while the focus would be DQ.  Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

And thus, we return to where we are now: waiting. Truly, this is agonizing. 

Thanks for the breakdown ignasia. I wanted to give them a slight bit of optimism, but now I go back to waiting VERY nervously. 

I can only pray they won't mess this release up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Psi Rockin Beta said:

I'm curious about why the head of the article refers to the game as a hybrid RPG. Not really seeing the "hybrid" anywhere.

Probably because you can switch anytime between traditional camera and the DQX style.  

5 hours ago, Psi Rockin Beta said:

I'm curious about why the head of the article refers to the game as a hybrid RPG. Not really seeing the "hybrid" anywhere.

Maybe a total misunderstanding of the "movement" element in battle, where there were plenty of fans who, prior to full reveal, were worried DQ11 would be an action RPG for months after the movement element was released.  Nevermind the further speculation on ARPG after the first "battle" video where it showed the player hitting a slime pre-battle.

It's a paid for article, and like most of them, they get pages of details about the game, and the game, but I imagine aren't required to actually play (as many current gaming journalists have proven...they don't actually play games, or play only a small niche group of games but write about a plethora of games they have little to no experience with nor care to experience).  Though another reason is often backlog at work and limited deadlines for articles, where they haven't enough time to really get into most games, and perchance the writers can't speak certain languages.

I wonder if Dwaine could chime in, but from what I've gathered from his posts, and from other writers in the industry, and from certain gamergate controversies, this is what it seems to be.  The writer clearly didn't play DQ11, but was paid enough to write a positive article, or maybe didn't have time to play.  Perhaps cannot understand Japanese, and didn't bother creating a translation setup just to play due to time constraints, or the article being less in importance?

• Like 1

Or maybe he's using the term Hybrid BECAUSE of both the movement, and that you can attack enemies outside of battle (and they did play the game).  Afterall, while technically Earthbound started something similar to this (kind of), it is a mixture of Action elements into a turn-based system.  Just a different mix of Action and Turn-Based elements as we see in other games like Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Age.

Or maybe he's using the term Hybrid BECAUSE of both the movement, and that you can attack enemies outside of battle (and they did play the game).  Afterall, while technically Earthbound started something similar to this (kind of), it is a mixture of Action elements into a turn-based system.  Just a different mix of Action and Turn-Based elements as we see in other games like Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Age.
It feels like the author was writing about the 3ds version but then halfway through switched to the PS4 version. What I understood from the title was that it was referring to the old school to 3d graphics swapping feature.
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Madesagora said:
5 hours ago, ignasia said:

It feels like the author was writing about the 3ds version but then halfway through switched to the PS4 version. What I understood from the title was that it was referring to the old school to 3d graphics swapping feature.

I skimmed it...should have properly read it.  That would make sense.

9 hours ago, Madesagora said:
9 hours ago, ignasia said:

Just to clear up confusion (I hope), I second this.

1 hour ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Yeah, I'll go with that. 

On 12/25/2017 at 11:12 AM, ignasia said:

On 12/25/2017 at 4:44 PM, Imutone said:

On 12/25/2017 at 4:52 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

On 12/25/2017 at 4:54 PM, Imutone said:

On 12/25/2017 at 5:53 PM, ignasia said:

Nope, it's not, because it's not a reveal.  The original announcement was due in October.  That never happened, and it was billed and promoted as a press release, meaning it would see traction in whatever publications decided to write an article about it (free press for a paid for press release).  It was also billed to showcase extra information specifically about the international release, which you guys have already indicated is not present in this article, and is clearly not part of the single page of text posted by cprmauldin.

The way this article is handled is to discuss it based on what is already known, with absolutely no news at all.  Meaning it is the exact opposite of the planned response, which was to be a "news" event detailing the specifics of the international release, which would clearly include the systems we would see a release on, and accompanying localized screen shots, which this likely does not show, or you and others would have posted pictures of by now, all excited and pumped.

This is more of a reminder, not any official release.  October there was a facebook and twitter post with a plain, but giant slime plastered, and used as the backdrop for both the twitter and facebook accounts (banner really).  That was removed along with the posts after a week.  It's gone, and sadly doesn't even exist on wayback machine or internet archive (I've checked), as no one used a direct link via a search engine while it was up and present.  Plus their spiders have to be presently witnessing the page at the time of the event, which is crappy, but conserves resources I guess?

In anycase, this is an alternative to keep DQ11 in the lexicon of language.

That said, case in point, you're right, they SHOULD be talking about the game on twitter/facebook, and NOT just the DQ page, but the normal page, and LINK to the DQ page.  Gets more traction, and is the only reason why DQ7 and 8 had any support from non-DQ fans, or at least mentions on social media...but then again, that was only due to us directly referencing it in responses to their general pages and the SE blog.  For that matter, there should be an SE blog post or two talking about the game.  Even just a few hints or teasers would be nice.

I suppose the positive is they are aware they need to talk about the game.  That said, they still have yet to come at this from a position of excitement, and what's the point of hiring a team of marketers just to run a DQ facebook, webpage, and twitter page if not to put them to work?  Doesn't cost them any extra to post a few teasers on their main site and link to the others, or even this article.  So you're right, they're incredibly stupid for not playing this up.

---

What's worse is that it's at the back, so they didn't spend much on it, but hopefully that is not indicative of their formal campaign once they get things moving.

As it is, I do not believe we'll see anything official until the official Switch reveal.  That way their bottom line isn't hurt as badly, and they can market it to the largest potential audience possible with the lowest and smallest expenditure possible.  The ONE thing I am worried about is will they showcase DQ11 alongside other games that are likely to overshadow it?  Like KH 3?  If they're stupid, they will.  If they want success, they'll ignore the KH fanboys and just do a focused presser...maybe with lesser games as mentions, like the upcoming Switch/PS4 games.  Actually that would be smart, as it would feel like it's about SE games in general, while the focus would be DQ.  Time will tell.

On 12/25/2017 at 6:17 PM, Imutone said:

And thus, we return to where we are now: waiting. Truly, this is agonizing. 

Thanks for the breakdown ignasia. I wanted to give them a slight bit of optimism, but now I go back to waiting VERY nervously. 

I can only pray they won't mess this release up. 

On 12/27/2017 at 3:49 AM, Psi Rockin Beta said:

On 12/27/2017 at 7:53 AM, cobolisdead said:

It has an electric motor in the Switch version of the game.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:55 AM, Imutone said:

Probably because you can switch anytime between traditional camera and the DQX style.  

On 12/27/2017 at 9:01 AM, ignasia said:

Maybe a total misunderstanding of the "movement" element in battle, where there were plenty of fans who, prior to full reveal, were worried DQ11 would be an action RPG for months after the movement element was released.  Nevermind the further speculation on ARPG after the first "battle" video where it showed the player hitting a slime pre-battle.

It's a paid for article, and like most of them, they get pages of details about the game, and the game, but I imagine aren't required to actually play (as many current gaming journalists have proven...they don't actually play games, or play only a small niche group of games but write about a plethora of games they have little to no experience with nor care to experience).  Though another reason is often backlog at work and limited deadlines for articles, where they haven't enough time to really get into most games, and perchance the writers can't speak certain languages.

I wonder if Dwaine could chime in, but from what I've gathered from his posts, and from other writers in the industry, and from certain gamergate controversies, this is what it seems to be.  The writer clearly didn't play DQ11, but was paid enough to write a positive article, or maybe didn't have time to play.  Perhaps cannot understand Japanese, and didn't bother creating a translation setup just to play due to time constraints, or the article being less in importance?

On 12/27/2017 at 9:04 AM, ignasia said:

On 12/27/2017 at 9:08 AM, Madesagora said:
On 12/27/2017 at 9:04 AM, ignasia said:

20 hours ago, ignasia said:

I skimmed it...should have properly read it.  That would make sense.

15 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

14 hours ago, Imutone said:

Yeah, I'll go with that. 

Man...who knew the can of worms I would open by talking about and posting this article.

The preview was in the previews section, a few pages in. I'd call it the rough middle of the magazine.

In terms of the use of the word, "Hybrid," I think the author was simply referring to the mix of traditional JRPG style with some new stuff.

....Of course these are just my opinions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

Man...who knew the can of worms I would open by talking about and posting this article.

The preview was in the previews section, a few pages in. I'd call it the rough middle of the magazine.

In terms of the use of the word, "Hybrid," I think the author was simply referring to the mix of traditional JRPG style with some new stuff.

....Of course these are just my opinions.

"He-who-must-not-be-named" has kept some of us on the edge. :P

• Upvote 1

Nintendo was also set to unveil their paid online service this fall. Perhaps this was going to be a big Direct, and DQXI was part of that? So, Nintendo says to SE "We're going to unveil more in this Direct in Fall" and then SE passes that on to fans. So when Nintendo delays their reveal, the DQXI reveal gets bumped as well. If this reveal was just bumped from November to January, it's not that big of a deal. 

I arrived at this theory backwards, realizing that the DQ Builders date was dropped out of the blue, because pre-orders were about to open. It could have been part of this Direct that was supposed to happen. 

Edited by mnicolai
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mnicolai said:

Nintendo was also set to unveil their paid online service this fall. Perhaps this was going to be a big Direct, and DQXI was part of that? So, Nintendo says to SE "We're going to unveil more in this Direct in Fall" and then SE passes that on to fans. So when Nintendo delays their reveal, the DQXI reveal gets bumped as well. If this reveal was just bumped from November to January, it's not that big of a deal. 

I arrived at this theory backwards, realizing that the DQ Builders date was dropped out of the blue, because pre-orders were about to open. It could have been part of this Direct that was supposed to happen. 

This actually makes a lot of sense.

3 hours ago, mnicolai said:

What a fantastic take! Guess I didn't bother thinking about how Nintendo is playing into the localization this time since all we know is that PS4 is confirmed. (Remember when Sony accidentally posted the localization confirmation trailer?) 

If that's the case, we can have the comfort knowing Square isn't intentionally making nothing but poor decisions. Any hope is better than none. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mnicolai said:

That would fit with the original October Twitter/Facebook posts intimating the impending promised announcement, and the Nintendo Direct that occurred in sequence with it, and yet neither official statement about either DQ XI or Nintendo's online account system (rumoured to be tied to all systems going forward, like with PSN or Xbox's network).

4 hours ago, Imutone said:

Any hope is better than none. 

This is what I always tell myself when it comes to DQ games being localized.

Someone said something about confirmed localized names, yet I see nothing of the sort. What gives?

22 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Someone said something about confirmed localized names, yet I see nothing of the sort. What gives?

Well there's Emma, the childhood friend. I guess I thought I saw Camus in there but it's nowhere.

Sooooo, one confirmed name. Better then none? 

39 minutes ago, Imutone said:

Well there's Emma, the childhood friend. I guess I thought I saw Camus in there but it's nowhere.

Sooooo, one confirmed name. Better then none? 

I didn't even register Emma. Yeah, better than nothing.

I kinda want Camus to have a different name, though. The guy I associate with it is as far from a poor thief as one can get.