Localization News: DQXI

Imutone

What's more left to say aside from a certain release date?

They probably don't want to waste any PR on the game again until the date is close enough to maintain some amount of hype.

48 minutes ago, Sumez said:

What's more left to say aside from a certain release date?

All I want to know is if 3DS version will arrive  :baa:

6 hours ago, Rudra said:

So nothing on PSXperience... Good for me, since that decreases the exclusivity chances. But then, when do they plan to announce it? Back in june they said it'd be this year...

They planned to announce it in October.  Changed their background and icons for both the DQ twitter and facebook to a giant 2D slime with a white background, and a post in both indicating an imminent massive announcement.  Then they pulled the posts and reverted.

Who knows what happened.  Who knows when they plan to announce, but I expect them to do their own press conference, and I suspect part of the reason is to mix in other announcements at the same time.  Maybe whatever their plans are for DQ1~3 3DS and PS4?  Maybe the official DQ7 mobile announcement.  Maybe they plan to announce the PS4, 3DS, AND Switch in one go, and maybe because of this they plan to postpone until the official Japanese Switch announcement (perhaps Nintendo ponied up some money or made a point about DQ's 9, 6 DS, J2, 8 3DS and 7 3DS and requested, out of respect, for the Switch version to see its announcement alongside the PS4 version?

I do think we'll see DQ's 1~3 melded into the official announcement, and they did spent an awful lot of time reminding us, at least through Mid-June, that DQ11 was the priority release they've been working towards with all their current Western release trends, and allowing us (with Nintendo's help) to play DQ7 3DS.  So I imagine they don't want to be overshadowed, and will do their own presser.  The original slime banner announcements back in October suggested they would do their own thing, though most of us, myself included, thought it referred to the last Nintendo Direct, since they were so close in proximity and ...well...Nintendo helping with those DQ releases.

Releasing info over PSX and even a Nintendo direct would overshadow DQ's announcement, because SE would have to pay extra to assure a long enough period of announcement time, and a large enough presence on stage to get any real attention or lasting attention.  With their own presser, they could add in certain other release info/videos from other series, and keep it purely SE games, still get plenty of press, and spend as much time as they want on DQ with less overhead.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rudra said:

All I want to know is if 3DS version will arrive  :baa:

It will.  Platty is likely to stamp it's not coming, which means...it's coming.

However I would point out that the PS4 and 3DS unit sales are about even steven.  The Switch, while popular, isn't selling as fast as the Wii or Wii U, however it IS selling software faster, and more software per unit sale (seriously, Nintendo should have waited out one more year for the upgraded Tegra 2 for better output at roughly the same battery usage, at 25~50 more per pop...they'd likely have sold more units by this point, and be roughly competitive with the Neo).

So for sales reasons alone, they need the 3DS.  Plus, save for a few extra bits on the 3DS version, both versions are likely the same, and they know there is an audience, albeit small, on the 3DS, while they're unsure as to how large the standard DQ audience is on the PS4 (it's difficult to correlate Builders and the two Heroes game sales to traditional mainline DQ).

• Upvote 1

They are definitely not saying anything more about the English release until the Switch version is officially announced. They want to announce a release date for all platforms, so they need to be able to include the Switch in that announcement.

I'd say it might be uncertain wether we'll get the 3DS (I imagine we most likely will though), but there's no way they'd skip the Switch version if they are doing the PS4 one anyway.

Just keep us waiting.  I'm fine with an after September 1st release!  I'll have finished my Master's Programme in August and have no worries about playing!

11 hours ago, cobolisdead said:

I really hope that they aren't stalling the PS4 version just so they can release a Switch version.

It's definitely possible... in which case a long wait ahead. :/

12 hours ago, cobolisdead said:

I really hope that they aren't stalling the PS4 version just so they can release a Switch version.

Actually yes, that's the most likely.

Why?  Simple.  If they're going for the biggest bang for the buck in releasing in the US/EU, why bother advertising twice, when you can advertise only once for all three systems?  It's MUCH cheaper on their end, and given DQ is still niche, there's less guarantee of better sales and resales for the Switch down the road, when you can announce and release all at once.  I'm sure even Nintendo has had a part in this, due to their help, but mostly I think it's about cost effectiveness.

31 minutes ago, Fates said:

It's definitely possible... in which case a long wait ahead. :/

Not really.  The plan was always Switch Japan before any International release.  I don't think for a second that was ever any different in their original planning.  I think it's more like they decided to postpone the announcement to cut down on funds and spending on two announcements, alongside assuring a full simultaneous release worldwide of all versions to reduce marketing costs, overhead, and allow them to spend more time on the game itself, letting players pick which system or systems they prefer to play on.

10 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Just keep us waiting.  I'm fine with an after September 1st release!  I'll have finished my Master's Programme in August and have no worries about playing!

I think I speak for a lot of DQ players in that many of us are September birthdays.  So that would be quite the birthday present.

23 hours ago, ignasia said:

I think I speak for a lot of DQ players in that many of us are September birthdays.  So that would be quite the birthday present.

I think I could be patient till September.

My only concern is the fact that I'm usually working a lot around that time of year, and it's my goal to be buying a house around then too.

I would just want to make sure I could squeeze in some solid play-time.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I think I could be patient till September.

My only concern is the fact that I'm usually working a lot around that time of year, and it's my goal to be buying a house around then too.

I would just want to make sure I could squeeze in some solid play-time.

Oh wow, that's a big deal.  An early congrats, hope you find a good house (no hidden problems) for a decent price.  This winter seems like a buyer's market in my area (was a sellers for the past two years).  Mind if I ask where you're moving to?  Moving up as well?

Definitely difficult to fit the time in.  I'm currently painting a bookcase from my old room for the new house I moved into, and while I will soon have my PS4 in-hand, I don't think I'll have much time to play it this winter with all the box management.  It's difficult finding place to put everything, lol.

14 hours ago, ignasia said:

Oh wow, that's a big deal.  An early congrats, hope you find a good house (no hidden problems) for a decent price.  This winter seems like a buyer's market in my area (was a sellers for the past two years).  Mind if I ask where you're moving to?  Moving up as well?

Definitely difficult to fit the time in.  I'm currently painting a bookcase from my old room for the new house I moved into, and while I will soon have my PS4 in-hand, I don't think I'll have much time to play it this winter with all the box management.  It's difficult finding place to put everything, lol.

Thanks! The market stays fairly steady in my area year round (though it's going up in general). I live in Northern California. I'll be staying in the same city, just going from renting an apartment to purchasing a house. In terms of, "Moving up," I'm not really sure. My apartment is really nice (I think it may be considered a, "Luxury," apartment) so if anything, quality-wise I may be taking a little bit of a step down, since this will be my first home purchase. The decision to purchase is more based upon the fact that the rent market is getting out of control in California, so I will actually be saving money and making an investment by purchasing a home. 

My goal is to build equity and save money with the intention to upgrade to a bigger and better house in 5-10 years.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Gameinformer had a nice little DQ XI preview in their most recent issue. I just wish a release date came along with it.

I'm glad that Gameinformer gave a basic plot overview along with confirmed localization names. Unlike SOME companies I know... 

1 hour ago, Imutone said:

I'm glad that Gameinformer gave a basic plot overview along with confirmed localization names. Unlike SOME companies I know... 

Shh, don't let your anger toward THAT company get you down as we approach Christmas. We all feel your pain, but now is time for joy!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Imutone said:

4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Shh, don't let your anger toward THAT company get you down as we approach Christmas. We all feel your pain, but now is time for joy!

The company who shall not be named :laugh:

15 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Gameinformer had a nice little DQ XI preview in their most recent issue. I just wish a release date came along with it.

Can u provide a look of what it's like? I tend to recycle my Gameinformer magazines, and I need to see those localized names, monsters or otherwise.

2 hours ago, winky55 said:

Can u provide a look of what it's like? I tend to recycle my Gameinformer magazines, and I need to see those localized names, monsters or otherwise.

20171225_095853.jpg

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

20171225_095853.jpg

You know, this DOES mean that the unmentionable ones did spend money for an article in the most widely circulated magazine in the US to make up for the lack of their Fall surprise.

Here's a question of significance: What page number is that on?  If high, is it middle or at the back?

Why this matters?  It determines how much money they spent, since Gamestop are cheap bastards who charge an arm and a leg to get any exposure at all.  So the closer to the front, the more "the-company-which-shall-not-be-named" spent.

Edited by ignasia

5 hours ago, ignasia said:

You know, this DOES mean that the unmentionable ones did spend money for an article in the most widely circulated magazine in the US to make up for the lack of their Fall surprise.

Here's a question of significance: What page number is that on?  If high, is it middle or at the back?

Why this matters?  It determines how much money they spent, since Gamestop are cheap bastards who charge an arm and a leg to get any exposure at all.  So the closer to the front, the more "the-company-which-shall-not-be-named" spent.

If I recall, it was kinda towards the back. Not the last few pages but definitely not in the middle section either. 

And since they probably DID pay some money, why just that!? Could you seriously not pay your social media manger to make a few posts or something? Gah! I get a headache thinking about their actions!

7 minutes ago, Imutone said:

If I recall, it was kinda towards the back. Not the last few pages but definitely not in the middle section either. 

And since they probably DID pay some money, why just that!? Could you seriously not pay your social media manger to make a few posts or something? Gah! I get a headache thinking about their actions!

I just thought about it...maybe this Game Informer article was the news we were supposed to get this fall...

2 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I just thought about it...maybe this Game Informer article was the news we were supposed to get this fall...

You know as I was typing... I thought of that too. This... Honestly brings up more questions. 

Biggest one being, "Why do the fans have to make theories on what the hell Square is up to with DQXI?" 

Edited by Imutone
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Imutone said:

You know as I was typing... I thought of that too. This... Honestly brings up more questions. 

Biggest one being, "Why do the fans have to make theories on what the hell Square is up to with DQXI?" 

Nope, it's not, because it's not a reveal.  The original announcement was due in October.  That never happened, and it was billed and promoted as a press release, meaning it would see traction in whatever publications decided to write an article about it (free press for a paid for press release).  It was also billed to showcase extra information specifically about the international release, which you guys have already indicated is not present in this article, and is clearly not part of the single page of text posted by cprmauldin.

The way this article is handled is to discuss it based on what is already known, with absolutely no news at all.  Meaning it is the exact opposite of the planned response, which was to be a "news" event detailing the specifics of the international release, which would clearly include the systems we would see a release on, and accompanying localized screen shots, which this likely does not show, or you and others would have posted pictures of by now, all excited and pumped.

This is more of a reminder, not any official release.  October there was a facebook and twitter post with a plain, but giant slime plastered, and used as the backdrop for both the twitter and facebook accounts (banner really).  That was removed along with the posts after a week.  It's gone, and sadly doesn't even exist on wayback machine or internet archive (I've checked), as no one used a direct link via a search engine while it was up and present.  Plus their spiders have to be presently witnessing the page at the time of the event, which is crappy, but conserves resources I guess?

In anycase, this is an alternative to keep DQ11 in the lexicon of language.

That said, case in point, you're right, they SHOULD be talking about the game on twitter/facebook, and NOT just the DQ page, but the normal page, and LINK to the DQ page.  Gets more traction, and is the only reason why DQ7 and 8 had any support from non-DQ fans, or at least mentions on social media...but then again, that was only due to us directly referencing it in responses to their general pages and the SE blog.  For that matter, there should be an SE blog post or two talking about the game.  Even just a few hints or teasers would be nice.

I suppose the positive is they are aware they need to talk about the game.  That said, they still have yet to come at this from a position of excitement, and what's the point of hiring a team of marketers just to run a DQ facebook, webpage, and twitter page if not to put them to work?  Doesn't cost them any extra to post a few teasers on their main site and link to the others, or even this article.  So you're right, they're incredibly stupid for not playing this up.

---

What's worse is that it's at the back, so they didn't spend much on it, but hopefully that is not indicative of their formal campaign once they get things moving.

As it is, I do not believe we'll see anything official until the official Switch reveal.  That way their bottom line isn't hurt as badly, and they can market it to the largest potential audience possible with the lowest and smallest expenditure possible.  The ONE thing I am worried about is will they showcase DQ11 alongside other games that are likely to overshadow it?  Like KH 3?  If they're stupid, they will.  If they want success, they'll ignore the KH fanboys and just do a focused presser...maybe with lesser games as mentions, like the upcoming Switch/PS4 games.  Actually that would be smart, as it would feel like it's about SE games in general, while the focus would be DQ.  Time will tell.

• Upvote 1